Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

baka kaba posted:

the commonwealth will import all our tv shows this is how we're gonna make it!

did yuo know tipping point runs clip shows where it's no questions, literally just the best of the best counters dropping for half an hour
'OH ITS A RIDER!'

I think I have PTSD from the counter dropping noise, it flashes me back to all those horrible silences when I'm visiting my mum and no one is talking because Tipping Point is on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Great job, Dick!

Indeterminacy
Sep 9, 2011

Excuse me, your Rabbit parts are undetached.
I'm not a believer in nominative determinism, but it seems like the part he was named to play.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Wasn't there some grand plan for national street parties too?

:cry:

I hope so just to see what happens in Glasgow, their royal wedding party was grand

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Indeterminacy posted:

I'm not a believer in nominative determinism, but it seems like the part he was named to play.
It's one of those names where you can't wonder why the heck they didn't get it changed, after the assumed merciless bullying at school.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Ratjaculation posted:

'OH ITS A RIDER!'

I think I have PTSD from the counter dropping noise, it flashes me back to all those horrible silences when I'm visiting my mum and no one is talking because Tipping Point is on

which noise though? CLACK CLACK CLACK or CLONK or WUWUWUW or TINK it's a nuanced show (I think the TINK is fake I bet they overdub it so it sounds like little coins in your pocket instead of big plastic things)

yeah I've definitely seen the whole gameshow routine happen. I think they even show them at the weekend now, I bet there are people confused about what day it is anymore. But someone posted a thing about how the broadcast tv demographic is basically nobody but boomers anymore, so you can see it relaxing into a comforting sludge of familiar content

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Dick Brainespiders

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

limited posted:

It's one of those names where you can't wonder why the heck they didn't get it changed, after the assumed merciless bullying at school.
One of the grad students acting as a teaching assistant on my degree course was called Richard Head. His parents were either oblivious or sadistic.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Who Doesn't Want Dick?

We'll Give You Braine!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

limited posted:

Maybe he did. Richard Braine née Toucher.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Dick the Brexit Boy.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
To be fair I assume once you get to a certain age with a name like that you get stubborn and pissed off like 'why the gently caress should I change it, you're the ones who are arseholes'. On the other hand 'Oh look it's the Prime Minister, Dick Braine' is - well.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

limited posted:

he went to Eton apparently so unless his family only owned a mere two stately homes he was probably all right

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

baka kaba posted:

he went to Eton apparently so unless his family only owned a mere two stately homes he was probably all right

You think? Being called Dick Braine in the den of sharks that is Eton sounds like a recipe for incomprehensibly savage bullying. At the very least, some blueblood sociopath is going to take it as an invitation.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah but don't they basically have ritualised bullying there anyway as a feature? An amusing name is probably the least of your troubles

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

https://twitter.com/woodmuffin/status/1160227164815581187

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Darth Walrus posted:

You think? Being called Dick Braine in the den of sharks that is Eton sounds like a recipe for incomprehensibly savage bullying. At the very least, some blueblood sociopath is going to take it as an invitation.

What qualifies as a loving stupid name kind of goes out of the window when you're having the poo poo kicked out of you by Head Boy Tarquin Monteguy de Lleyfuid of the Sussex de Lleyfuids.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1160247103127543808

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Yeah, remember that Boris is said to have lead a clique of bullies when he was in school and his real name is Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson. He had two paths to take at that point, #1 become known as "Pfeffy" and get the poo poo kicked out of him daily or #2 become Bozza and do the poo poo kicking. Only difference between a school full of rich kids and one full of poor kids in situations like that is the poor school only has a handful of psycho kids with parents on the board of governors.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Osborne got called ‘oik’ in cabinet because his school only cost £35k a year and not £50 like Eton

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

baka kaba posted:

I guess :tif: wasn't available (that would be a good coin though)

Famous pedo goon Shmorky animated that, I just found out:

https://www.theverge.com/2016/5/5/11592622/this-is-fine-meme-comic

quote:

Well the Adult Swim thing was nice. It wasn’t just "This Is Fine," but "This is Fine" helped it. I don’t know if it paid for a year of my life, but it did help for awhile, especially around tax time. I split that with the animator, Shmorky, who animated all of the stuff.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

:laffo:

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

The new Rocko's Modern Life kicks rear end holy poo poo.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I'm Nigel Braine! Take that Dick Farage!

Now I'm Dick Farage! Take that Nigel Braine!

Now I'm Nigel Farage! Take that Dick B...

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

baka kaba posted:

which noise though? CLACK CLACK CLACK or CLONK or WUWUWUW or TINK it's a nuanced show (I think the TINK is fake I bet they overdub it so it sounds like little coins in your pocket instead of big plastic things)

yeah I've definitely seen the whole gameshow routine happen. I think they even show them at the weekend now, I bet there are people confused about what day it is anymore. But someone posted a thing about how the broadcast tv demographic is basically nobody but boomers anymore, so you can see it relaxing into a comforting sludge of familiar content

The weirdest thing is that Tipping Point question setters are really lazy so if you do watch a marathon of them (I... may have done this) you'll often hear the same basic question multiple times from slightly different directions (e.g. "Which Queen gave a famous speech at Tilbury before the battle against the Spanish Armada?"/"Queen Elizabeth I gave a famous speech at Tilbury before the battle against who?"/"Where did Queen Elizabeth I give her famous speech before the battle against the Spanish Armada?" is one triplet I remember coming up).

I still stand by my assertion that Tipping Point is the best game show on telly at the minute. Not the highest quality or hardest or whatever, but the most laser-focused on - and well-serving of - its target demographic. You have relatively easy questions (so viewers feel smart), a personable host (who always makes sure to read the full question to settle arguments), and a gameplay mechanic that is hardwired into the pleasure centres of older working-class people.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Can't agree with you on the host of Tipping Point. Guy sucks all the energy out of the room. My daytime quiz of choice is The Chase - Bradley Walsh is actually a personality, even if he can get annoying at times.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
The voyager probe has recordings of Bach's violin sonatas played by Arthur Grumiaux as the pinnacle of earthly music and hell, they're not wrong.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

painted into a coroner posted:

Can't agree with you on the host of Tipping Point. Guy sucks all the energy out of the room. My daytime quiz of choice is The Chase - Bradley Walsh is actually a personality, even if he can get annoying at times.

Best game show host imo is Warrick Davies.
poo poo game show format though.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Coohoolin posted:

The voyager probe has recordings of Bach's violin sonatas played by Arthur Grumiaux as the pinnacle of earthly music and hell, they're not wrong.

Yes, but it has a bunch of other poo poo as well, including some old blues recordings and probably Carl Sagan nailing his wife (I assume)

E:just in case I'm misconstrued, this is all a very positive thing

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 10, 2019

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Wasn't there some grand plan for national street parties too?

:cry:

That’s a positive spin to put on food riots.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The weirdest thing is that Tipping Point question setters are really lazy so if you do watch a marathon of them (I... may have done this) you'll often hear the same basic question multiple times from slightly different directions (e.g. "Which Queen gave a famous speech at Tilbury before the battle against the Spanish Armada?"/"Queen Elizabeth I gave a famous speech at Tilbury before the battle against who?"/"Where did Queen Elizabeth I give her famous speech before the battle against the Spanish Armada?" is one triplet I remember coming up).

I still stand by my assertion that Tipping Point is the best game show on telly at the minute. Not the highest quality or hardest or whatever, but the most laser-focused on - and well-serving of - its target demographic. You have relatively easy questions (so viewers feel smart), a personable host (who always makes sure to read the full question to settle arguments), and a gameplay mechanic that is hardwired into the pleasure centres of older working-class people.

Though hosted by melts, the best game show on telly is actually Pointless.

At least now that Roy Walker doesn't host Catchphrase anymore.

Coohoolin posted:

:hmmyes:

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Bob Monkhouse was one of the best game show hosts.

Somebody is gonna tell me he was a massive racist/nonce now though.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

WhatEvil posted:

Bob Monkhouse was one of the best game show hosts.

Somebody is gonna tell me he was a massive racist/nonce now though.

From his wiki page: "Monkhouse was a vocal supporter of the Conservative Party for some years. He later told his friend Colin Edmonds that this may have been a mistake, but that he wanted to be associated with a winner and he knew Margaret Thatcher could not lose the 1987 general election"

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Coohoolin posted:

As it turns out, the auditory systems and psychology of the aliens who find it will only be capable of appreciating 80s hair metal

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Coohoolin posted:

loving :laffo: trust the STEMlords to pick Bach as the best composer

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Julio Cruz posted:

Tbf fugue composition might be a little bit like musical Sudoku but JS Bach made it sound actually beautiful. And there was tons of other poo poo on the gold record

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
His guitar solos were better.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Randy "JS" Bach-man

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Julio Cruz posted:

(actually if I was sending music to aliens it would just be https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDDjBNgwX-U)

(e; what are you some sort of kachaturian stan? rachmaninoff? loving mahler (lol)?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Ms Adequate posted:

(actually if I was sending music to aliens it would just be https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDDjBNgwX-U)

(e; what are you some sort of kachaturian stan? rachmaninoff? loving mahler (lol)?)

Shostakovich, Dvorak, Mendelssohn, and yes some bits of Mahler are pretty good if you're in the mood for it