Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Klansman 8 0.91%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 578 65.76%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 185 21.05%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 4 0.46%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 0 0%
Julian Castro, the Twin 3 0.34%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 3 0.34%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 9 1.02%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 2 0.23%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 4 0.46%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 19 2.16%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 19 2.16%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 8 0.91%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.11%
Just like in real life, nobody voted for Hickenlooper 2 0.23%
Jeffrey Epstein, the MCC Most Hated 9 1.02%
KKKillary KKKlinton 16 1.82%
Some other idiot not in this list 9 1.02%
Total: 879 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Condiv posted:

whoever voted for joe "poor kids can be just as smart as white kids" biden in the poll should be tarred and feathered

Hey now, be nice to Ms. Milano, she’s going through a lot of poo poo right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

His "UBI: is the ultimate scam, he has stated that it would be funded from raised VAT... which means that we are talking about the poor paying more in taxes, to get a fraction of it back in a lump payment a year later. There is nothing to like about him, even in his Chapo interview, which was as much of an opportunity to pitch his ideas in a leftist framework as he's ever gonna get, he failed to do so.

IIRC the poor will actually lose out since receiving $1000 in welfare means you don't get any yangbucks. But they're still paying VAT so they're practically financing some rich guy's $1000 bonus (which the rich will definitely take, they're legally denouncing their own loving kids to get them free tuition).

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Majorian posted:

"I, an out-of-touch rich dude who wants to cut social programs, am the opposite of Donald Trump."

That's the part of Donald Trump contained within him.

Just as Trump has a part of Yang inside him.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

no see this VAT is somehow going to tax amazon instead of the people who pay it when they buy goods and services

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

really going after the Pittsburgh vote, bold strategy

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

no see this VAT is somehow going to tax amazon instead of the people who pay it when they buy goods and services

I honestly can't tell if Yang is just a Silicon Valley Milton Friedman brainworms kind of guy who drinks his own Kool-Aid or if he's an unrepentant grifter.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Doctor Jeep posted:

I honestly can't tell if Yang is just a Silicon Valley Milton Friedman brainworms kind of guy who drinks his own Kool-Aid or if he's an unrepentant grifter.

I know a lot of Silicon Valley well-meaning dumbasses like him; he’s genuine. He really thinks he can help, but he’s just totally out of touch and dumb as a stump.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Majorian posted:

I think that's one of 538's truly appalling takes.

As much as I dislike Biden, her "big moment" against him in the first debate was nothing more than a cynical attempt to siphon off the black vote from him. Literally nobody is gonna be voting on the subject of busing from nearly half a century ago whereas Kamala Harris just got a stake plunged through her vampiric heart in the 2nd debate on the hosed up poo poo she pulled as SF's cop king that actually screwed over black and poor people very recently. And her immediate reaction in the post debate interviews(especially the one with Anderson Cooper) revealed just how much of an arrogant, narcissistic, and entitled rear end in a top hat she really is. The conventional wisdom seems to be that Bernie, Warren, Biden, and Harris are gonna be the final four, but I hope either the Buttman or Booker replace her as #4 at this point. And her deliberate incoherence on M4A? Just gently caress off already.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I know I am not dead inside because I can't stop laughing at this man's stupid face. And given the news today that means a lot, so thank you.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

mistaya posted:

I know I am not dead inside because I can't stop laughing at this man's stupid face. And given the news today that means a lot, so thank you.

The woman and kid behind him just make it so much better. Even the solo picture he looks stiff as a board and uptight but then you frame him with an ordinary looking person not trying to pose for a formal photograph and it’s just hilarious.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

mistaya posted:

I think he looks exactly like Bill from King of the Hill. This was the best tweet about him after the debates:
https://twitter.com/MikeDrucker/status/1156374977417043974

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Starting to think this "Joe Biden" isn't such a great guy.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ross perot in hell posted:

He isn't going to win, and the people who like him are bad people op. He's not smart, he's not charismatic, he has bad political campaigning and debating instincts, he has no base other than silicon valley dweebs who want to jerk off about the singularity, and racists who want to dismantle the social safety net, which he has literally flat out stated that his UBI proposal is a trojan horse, for this purpose. He has no chance and is really running because he is a rich tech investor, and inflating his personal brand however he can will get him a better deal with his next startup company or whatever he does next. 0%

And yet, his lovely UBI still makes him better than any establishment candidate currently running. I’d gladly vote for Yang over anyone but Bernie.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bernie gonna win.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

tylersayten posted:

And yet, his lovely UBI still makes him better than any establishment candidate currently running. I’d gladly vote for Yang over anyone but Bernie.

He wants to do UBI in order to gut all social programs. He has flat-out said this, as the post you quoted mentions. Everyone would lose and billionaires would gain. He is bad.

Also qft

Addamere posted:

Bernie gonna win.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
I still think Buttigieg is the best course forward for the nation and the people of Turtle Island.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Did Stalin drop out of the race?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

On behalf of the rest of the civilized world, dear Americans please

1. Elect someone like Bernie Sanders as the Democratic nominee
2. For the love of Cthulhu don't give the world four more years of Trump.

---

With regards to Yangs' UBI.

A guaranteed universal income can be beneficial to both society and economy under certain quantifiable circumstances (which are more appropriate for quasi-UBI measures anyway, but that is another story). What Yang is specifically proposing though is idiotic, for a couple of reasons.

a. To pay for this, Yang wants to increase indirect taxing. As one might expect, said taxes burden the economically disadvantaged more (since they affect the totality of their spending income at a percentage rate that could push them to poverty or keep them there).

b. By removing/substituting the social net with UBI (anything that would result in a net income of more than 1000$ is essentially cut), you are not leveling the playing field. You are essentially making the poor poorer.

c. The addition of more disposable income to the echelons of society that don't already have a need for the social safety net will undeniably push an inflationary trend on basic living expenses, like the price of rent, housing and vital services. I don't want to go much on economic theory here (whether UBI is a negative income tax etc) but this is going to happen because..AMERICA. And to put this plainly; this will hit the poor and disadvantaged twice. Once on VAT and a second time on raises in necessities.

Think twice before saying "everything is poo poo, at least I'll get 1000 bucks out of it". In the end, this is what Yang really wants.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 11, 2019

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Yang's UBI is basically the largest corporate subsidy in history.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

yang

bad

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Kith posted:

yang
bad

*picks up jeweler's loop, peers through it, holding it up to Yang's plan, and frowning thoughtfully*

...hmmmmm...yes. Yes, I would say so.

*places both items down on the table, glances at you meaningfully*

It is, I'm afraid, a genuinely lovely plan.

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Did Stalin drop out of the race?

Gravel peeled off his mask, revealed himself to be Stalin, and pleaded with voters to stop the Rude Teens from continuing their scheme of elder abuse, so now he's off the list.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wait a minute, if Gravel was secretly Stalin instead of two teens in a trenchcoat, then what about Marianne? I was willing to accept nine cats rolled up in a yoga mat but ... :ohdear:

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
who are these tools that voted Warren?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Addamere posted:

Wait a minute, if Gravel was secretly Stalin instead of two teens in a trenchcoat, then what about Marianne? I was willing to accept nine cats rolled up in a yoga mat but ... :ohdear:

Oh no, that's still true, don't worry. It's just the top cat has always drunk a LOT of absinthe before each and every interview.

That really is a cool cat.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of the Democrat candidates seem to be building their entire campaigns around appealing to what neoliberals think people like, which turns out to be various very specific sets of neuroses held by the media and lanyard classes and pretty much no one else. A few are appealing to slightly different sets of neuroses held by certain demographics.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I really wonder if we're on the path to a split convention.

Unlike the Republicans, democratic primaries mostly aren't winner take all, but proportional to anyone over 15%. We're gonna have 3-4 candidates with a decent number of delegates. Jesus, we haven't had a real one of those since 68. God, Trump really is Nixon 2

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

I really wonder if we're on the path to a split convention.

Unlike the Republicans, democratic primaries mostly aren't winner take all, but proportional to anyone over 15%. We're gonna have 3-4 candidates with a decent number of delegates. Jesus, we haven't had a real one of those since 68. God, Trump really is Nixon 2

I doubt we're going to actually get a split convention. We're more likely to get one now than we have been since '68, but I still expect most or all of the centrist candidates are just going to completely crater once they start losing primaries.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

So..how bout that Warren percentage, eh?

Codex Occultus
Apr 12, 2009

A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting.
Not a Buttigieg supporter in any way shape or form but this is decent messaging that an actual good candidate should use once "Mayor Pete" drops out.

Codex Occultus fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Aug 11, 2019

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Codex Occultus posted:

Not a Buttigieg supporter in any way shape or form but this is decent messaging that an actual good candidate should use once "Mayor Pete" drops out.

succcccc

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
“dangerous donald reduced unemployment by a fifth” seems like a lovely dem message, actually

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Codex Occultus posted:

This says nothing that means anything

Codex Occultus
Apr 12, 2009

A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting.

mandatory lesbian posted:

This says nothing that means anything

It's a counter to the idea that Trump somehow dramatically improved the economy. Obama dramatically decreased unemployment whereas Trump barely had any effect. Presented in a folksy way that will appeal to a lot of voters.

It's not like it should be a central campaign plank or anything but when idiots bring up the economy you have to have a quick way of pointing out Trump inherited a decent one and hasn't really improved it.

Although, if the infinite trade wars continue as they are we may not have to worry about the "good economy" narrative for long.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I like the idea of a rich harvard kid trying to make folksy farmyard based analogies

Codex Occultus
Apr 12, 2009

Marxalot posted:

I like the idea of a rich harvard kid trying to make folksy farmyard based analogies

I'm sure he did extensive research and focus testing before he decided on which barnyard animal would have the broadest appeal.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Codex Occultus posted:

It's a counter to the idea that Trump somehow dramatically improved the economy. Obama dramatically decreased unemployment whereas Trump barely had any effect. Presented in a folksy way that will appeal to a lot of voters.

It's not like it should be a central campaign plank or anything but when idiots bring up the economy you have to have a quick way of pointing out Trump inherited a decent one and hasn't really improved it.

Although, if the infinite trade wars continue as they are we may not have to worry about the "good economy" narrative for long.

It's a garbage message because it relies on the idea that Obama actually fixed the economic situation for not-rich people, which he demonstrably didn't loving do.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

It's a garbage message because it relies on the idea that Obama actually fixed the economic situation for not-rich people, which he demonstrably didn't loving do.

I think the goal here is to defeat Trump, not necessarily to deliver a nuanced analysis of the economic matrix of the Obama administration

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Hobo Erotica posted:

I think the goal here is to defeat Trump, not necessarily to deliver a nuanced analysis of the economic matrix of the Obama administration

If that is the goal then lecturing people about percentage changes in unemployment probably isn't the right method.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Hobo Erotica posted:

You don't do that by spouting horseshit that people know is horseshit. The Obama economy loving sucked for the majority of people and pretending it didn't ain't a winning move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
One of Republican talking points right now is that the economy is good and that Republicans own the good economy. What Pete's zinger fails to account for is that this "good" economy that Trump is touting is the same "bad" economy that got him elected.