Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Yeah, my battery is hosed as well. Also, the camera is only good if it's really bright and your hands are really steady. Lack of OIS really hurts one of its best features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Smythe posted:

i got a pixel 3 xl and it owns

i'm glad satya made you happy

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Endless Mike posted:

i'm glad satya made you happy
what does he have to do with it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

butt dickus posted:

what does he have to do with it
i meant sunder

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

so what you're saying is that all billionaire tech moguls look the same to you huh?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

so what you're saying is that all billionaire tech moguls look the same to you huh?

they're all red on the inside which should be liberated to their outsides

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

when i close my eyes they do

but that's because sunbleached skeletons all look basically the same

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
any recommendations for a dirt cheap android (e: that still has play store) that i can use for awful.apk and vpn/ssh to my home network? it'll never be used for calls and will only be used on wifi. looking to replace my galaxy s5 before it dies completely -- it was my main phone until last year and now it's just my goofing off device

mod saas fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 11, 2019

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lol why do you have multiple phones

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i think the post itself answers that question in a way

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

lol because immediate communication with my loved ones is important to have on me at all times but the addiction/distraction device isn't

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I have two iPhones, one for day and one for the night. When the day phone runs out, the night phone takes over. I never have to worry.

I don’t use a ring of any kind on my phone. This is so that I am always on offense and never defense.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Android: Ask me about my daily driver

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

I have two iPhones, one for day and one for the night. When the day phone runs out, the night phone takes over. I never have to worry.

I don’t use a ring of any kind on my phone. This is so that I am always on offense and never defense.

day phone
fighter of the night phone
champion of the vpn
master of the app store
and contacts with everyone

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

infernal machines posted:

i think the post itself answers that question in a way

I mean I guess all the android users in dyp talk about their "backup" phones because failure is so common

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

https://youtu.be/oiY_iKSpWLM

this song but it's actually just about your backup galaxy fold

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yes, having a phone that's consistently and reliably functional for the things you want to use a phone for is anathema to the android experience

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

mod saas posted:

any recommendations for a dirt cheap android (e: that still has play store) that i can use for awful.apk and vpn/ssh to my home network? it'll never be used for calls and will only be used on wifi. looking to replace my galaxy s5 before it dies completely -- it was my main phone until last year and now it's just my goofing off device

any of the android one phones will serve this purpose

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mod saas posted:

nokia 4.2? but really, as above, just make sure you get something on android one.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
get one a them 50-rouble FSB specials at a russian convenience store. the FSB software will drive out other malware because you're it's host

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ars investigates: how to make your nintendo switch considerably less useful for no real reason

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

so what happens first: headphones with a usb-c jack, or a charger with a 1/8" jack that works when plugged into a headphone dongle

also gently caress spotify for killing the android widget

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
there are already usb-c headphones

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'm gonna keep using my regular wired headphones till I die. I barely remember to charge my phone, I definitely don't want to charge my headphones

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
they should put 2 usb-c ports on a phone, then everyone would shut up

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

sure just make one of them a headphone jack instead because 1/8" headphone connectors are everywhere and they're good and they don't rely on tiny piece of poo poo li-ion batteries that'll be useless in 2 years

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bobby Digital posted:

there are already usb-c headphones

i *think* they mean with a female port so you can charge and listen at the same time.

Perplx posted:

they should put 2 usb-c ports on a phone, then everyone would shut up

the asus rog phone 2 has dual usb-c ports. but it also has a headphone jack because it's the homercar of phones

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Bobby Digital posted:

there are already bluetooth headphones

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

i *think* they mean with a female port so you can charge and listen at the same time.

yup it's this but i didn't say passthrough so my b

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
i have an old iphone 6s (but i repeat myself) and after reading part of the grey android thread and 50 pages of this one my desire for a galaxy s10 is moronic and i should just get another iphone a give up my gd headphone jack huh

rip

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
android q stands for "google shuts down anroid dessert names and statues":

quote:

Our engineering team has always used internal code names for each version, based off of tasty treats, or desserts, in alphabetical order. This naming tradition has become a fun part of the release each year externally, too. But we’ve heard feedback over the years that the names weren’t always understood by everyone in the global community.

For example, L and R are not distinguishable when spoken in some languages. So when some people heard us say Android Lollipop out loud, it wasn’t intuitively clear that it referred to the version after KitKat. It’s even harder for new Android users, who are unfamiliar with the naming convention, to understand if their phone is running the latest version. We also know that pies are not a dessert in some places, and that marshmallows, while delicious, are not a popular treat in many parts of the world.

As a global operating system, it’s important that these names are clear and relatable for everyone in the world. So, this next release of Android will simply use the version number and be called Android 10. We think this change helps make release names simpler and more intuitive for our global community. And while there were many tempting “Q” desserts out there, we think that at version 10 and 2.5 billion active devices, it was time to make this change.

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 22, 2019

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Android users: That group of people incapable of googling dessert names or knowing the alphabet

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
rip android q anon

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
are they gonna skip versions with numbers consdiered unlucky in different cultures too

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

quote:

For example, L and R are not distinguishable when spoken in some languages. So when some people heard us say Android Lollipop out loud, it wasn’t intuitively clear that it referred to the version after KitKat. 

this is one of the dumbest piece of poo poo post-hoc justifications I've ever heard.

What is the scenario where you're telling some Japanese monk about Android versions and he knows the English alphabet (because he would have to to understand the sequence in the first place) but doesn't know what a lollipop is or about the R L confusion and also it's only talking about it, nothing is written down

I mean the candy names were stupid and juvenile but for gently caress's sake just say "we're deprecating those" you don't have to make up vaguely racist reasons like this to justify it

loving nerds

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

the arabic customers called the second android version by the sixteenth letter

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Andoird Rorripop

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
but they’re still keeping the weird mismatch between android version numbers and api version numbers (android 10 is api 29 I think)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Endless Mike posted:

unrelated but even though my workplace explicitly permits employees to use a company-assigned phone as their personal phone, i choose to keep them separate

that way when i'm off the clock i can just ignore my work phone. if there's an emergency my boss has my personal number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

just lol if you allow any work poo poo to touch your own phone