Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
why do they let you marry the child goddess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Blaziken386 posted:

A question for everyone: aside from the house leaders/their 2nd in command, who did you find to be ridiculously good?

On Black Eagles, I've gotten a lot out of Ferdinand, Petra, and Bernadetta.

As a Paladin, Ferdinand is an indestructible one-man front line, while Petra as an Assassin goes on these long runs where she's just decided that nothing can hit her. Bernie kill-snipes whatever they inexplicably leave standing.

Caspar's also better than I think people give him credit for being. In my game, he seems to have some kind of invisible +50% critical hit rate whenever he's punching dudes.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Clarste posted:

It's not as bad as Persona 5, but it's just something you notice about any translation once you start to pay attention.

the thing that sticks out to me the most about the game's loc is how insistent everyone is about always using the Proper Full Names for everything

Oh boy, I am looking forward to the Battle of the Eagle and Lion next month! But before that, would you mind telling me some more about Nemesis, the King of Liberation?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Clarste posted:

I would also like to note that Ferdinand uses no contractions ever and this absolutely destroys me.
eh, he's a nobleman. Probably had those trained out of him.

Wanderer posted:

On Black Eagles, I've gotten a lot out of Ferdinand, Petra, and Bernadetta.

As a Paladin, Ferdinand is an indestructible one-man front line, while Petra as an Assassin goes on these long runs where she's just decided that nothing can hit her. Bernie kill-snipes whatever they inexplicably leave standing.

Caspar's also better than I think people give him credit for being. In my game, he seems to have some kind of invisible +50% critical hit rate whenever he's punching dudes.
Caspar was super squishy in the beginning for me, but by part 2, (and with a couple levels in armored knight to buff his defenses), suddenly he was a fantastic tank.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

This run Caspar has actually hit some good rolls, it's a world of difference from my last. Kinda makes me sad because I wanted to bench him for Felix. Everyone is getting great stats except Sylvain, I guess Ingrid too, she just joined and despite only a 2 str damage the damage difference between her and Ferdie is...insane. I even bought the crest of Fraldarius for her but it's trigger rate is nothing like Felix's.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is there any use for Armored/Fortress Knights in Three Houses? I had Raphael as one for a while in my Deer run but he wasn't really pulling his weight, so I switched him to a War Master, had him start using knuckles instead of axes, and he suddenly turned into a goddamn murder machine. Knuckles on a character with crazy strength really is something to behold.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Having units that can no-sell beasts/archers/basically non war masters is a useful thing.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

It's really crazy how important stat rolls are in this game. I've seen more 1-stat gains in a single map of Three Houses than I saw in entire playthroughs of some of the other games in the series. My first playthrough of Black Eagle, I replaced almost every single unit from the original house because someone I recruited had stats that were just significantly higher. Magic units are usually somewhat consistent, but cavalry units can easily be rendered totally worthless by not getting enough of either STR or SPD.

Harrow posted:

Is there any use for Armored/Fortress Knights in Three Houses? I had Raphael as one for a while in my Deer run but he wasn't really pulling his weight, so I switched him to a War Master, had him start using knuckles instead of axes, and he suddenly turned into a goddamn murder machine. Knuckles on a character with crazy strength really is something to behold.

I used Edel and Dedue as Armored Knights and neither of them take damage, while still being able to double enemies thanks to the axe bonuses you get from ranking up. So, yeah, they're great, especially against monsters

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Harrow posted:

i needed my raphael's high defense as a fortress knight to bait swordmasters/assassins in a lot of cases, which was a godsend since those enemies would double and kill the vast majority of my roster otherwise

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

i needed my raphael's high defense as a fortress knight to bait swordmasters/assassins in a lot of cases, which was a godsend since those enemies would double and kill the vast majority of my roster otherwise

I ended up having my astoundingly tanky Byleth do that more often than not, but yeah, it would've been nice to have someone else who could've done that. Maybe I'll try to make better use of a Fortress Knight next run.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I used Edel and Dedue as Armored Knights and neither of them take damage, while still being able to double enemies thanks to the axe bonuses you get from ranking up. So, yeah, they're great, especially against monsters

My Raphael's speed ended up pretty much rock bottom so he wasn't ever doubling anything. As soon as I switched to War Master + knuckles he just started one-rounding everything he could touch and it was pretty beautiful, though I did end up having to play with a team of mostly glass cannons, which got dicey a few times.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

A question for everyone: aside from the house leaders/their 2nd in command, who did you find to be ridiculously good?
Catherine/Lysithea/Felix are kind of obvious, but I also found that Ferdinand wrecks everyone's poo poo if you put him on a dragon instead of a horse

Black Eagle, Petra as an assassin often gets enemies to have 0 hit. I regret not making her a dancer for that sweet special avoid ability, too. I think I'll make her a pegasus knight in my Golden Deer playthrough, and I anticipate her being invincible.

Bernie has good dex and spd growth, and that combined with making her a archer => sniper let her have really good crit. Letting her be a bow knight would make her a MVP, though bow knight have incredibly bad growth.

Dorothea's growth isn't the best, but she has access to Thoron and Meteor as well as Agnea’s Arrow (and Physics). This makes her a very good long range caster that crit with some regularity.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The good thing about tanks is that it's mostly the class, not the character that props it up. Just point at some failing physical attacker, give them a silver shield, and let them bait archers.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Harrow posted:

I don't think there's a point Armored Knight, but if you leveling them via Bandit so they start with decent stats at 20 Fortress Knights can rock.To me it's a class that won't make someone bad good, but if you put a good unit in it it just amplifies them. also prepare them for Great Knight asap cause they need the mobility.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tae posted:

The good thing about tanks is that it's mostly the class, not the character that props it up. Just point at some failing physical attacker, give them a silver shield, and let them bait archers.

Oh yeah, that's a good point. I guess that's something I could've done with my RNG-screwed Hilda :v:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Ferdinand is great just because of his ability. He makes for a hilariously good dodge tank and was one of like 2 characters I could leave in range of 3 enemies who didn't die literally every time.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One thing I miss starting a new route is how ridiculously evasive my Byleth and Claude were on my Deer run. Towards the end almost nothing could touch them. It was a lot of fun to just park Byleth somewhere really dangerous and watch him dance around arrows, spells, and melee attacks and take like 3-5 damage if something ever did hit him. Those two were extremely RNG-blessed on that run.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Eimi posted:

I don't think there's a point Armored Knight, but if you leveling them via Bandit so they start with decent stats at 20 Fortress Knights can rock.To me it's a class that won't make someone bad good, but if you put a good unit in it it just amplifies them. also prepare them for Great Knight asap cause they need the mobility.

Armored Knight is also a free 12 defence at level 10 for anyone that goes brigand anyway. For that alone it's pretty good :D.

Anyway, if we are talking about using one, a Armored Knight gets +4 defense for the price of low movement. Depending on characters it might be worth it. It will level armour fairly fast, which will give the -3 weight ability at C. It's not bad for the lower levels, as it basically means being able to double enemies you wouldn't be able to double otherwise.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

i'm already planning out dedue for fortress knight/war master like i did with raphael

and maybe i'll figure some way to get swordbreaker on him so he can do a better job baiting swordies

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I made Hilda an Armored Knight and she's still fast enough to double most enemies, and if not I have some strong Combat Arts on her for one-hit kills. Their biggest disadvantage is movement but you can use a March Ring to alleviate that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Fortress Knight gets a speed penalty, but frankly Weight-5 almost completely cancels it out.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Harrow posted:

I ended up having my astoundingly tanky Byleth do that more often than not, but yeah, it would've been nice to have someone else who could've done that. Maybe I'll try to make better use of a Fortress Knight next run.

for reference on my first run my byleth was so slow that he was getting doubled by like half the map in chapter 13 (to say nothing of his anemic firepower), to the point where a dismounted claude had to do the heavy lifting for that map

i never trusted him to go out and bait enemies again after that

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
this game has too many maps with green units stealing my exp

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Clarste posted:

I would also like to note that Ferdinand uses no contractions ever and this absolutely destroys me.

that's in line with his character though?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

liars often don't use contractions

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

i never trusted him to go out and bait enemies again after that

Any time Byleth got a bad level I'd just wind back time and bench him for the rest of that map.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I got Leonie really late in my Eagles run and she ended up being the second half MVP because she came as pretty much a ready made Bow Knight

as a note, I see that a lot of these bad Byleths are male

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

same, she's my Swiss army knife in most maps

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Lessail posted:

that's in line with his character though?

it'd make sense for him to do it like the majority of the time but it starts feeling kinda unnatural when he Literally Never uses a contraction, even when he's like angry or otherwise upset, imo?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

Any time Byleth got a bad level I'd just wind back time and bench him for the rest of that map.

Did he end the game at level 9 or something then

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

dmboogie posted:

it'd make sense for him to do it like the majority of the time but it starts feeling kinda unnatural when he Literally Never uses a contraction, even when he's like angry or otherwise upset, imo?

I mean maybe? Some people don't use contractions though, especially if a certain manner of speech has been beaten into them. And based on what we know about Ferdinand I wouldn't be surprised if it was literally beaten into him until it became an unconscious thing.

Its a deliberate choice by the translation team regardless since no one else is running around not using contractions ever.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Flayn's refusal to use contractions is more stand-out than Ferdie's.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Did he end the game at level 9 or something then

You musta got a lotta bad levels.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Leonie is great if you grab her late into a playthrough because she comes essentially ready to promote to a Master class

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Funky Valentine posted:

Flayn's refusal to use contractions is more stand-out than Ferdie's.

it makes sense for a kid who's playing at maturity

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

You musta got a lotta bad levels.

30 strength and speed and 20 defense and resistance in endgame was definitely mediocre

Like I poo poo you not I probably had Ingrid and Ignatz kill more enemies than he did in endgame

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

logically for me it makes sense to make Marianne the dancer in this run but morally it is incorrect, I just couldn't do that to the poor girl

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

logically for me it makes sense to make Marianne the dancer in this run but morally it is incorrect, I just couldn't do that to the poor girl

I made her my dancer two runs in a row

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Tae posted:

I made her my dancer two runs in a row

she's got the lowest speed of my mages and the avoid skills would be very good

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Carlosologist posted:

IMO Dancer seems best on Dorothea (it's also Dorothea's "canon" class, along with Warlock) both because she's not strong enough to do more than play support, and also because, ya know. Opera background.
Boost her faith enough to give psychic for healing so she can help out more after everyone's been sent forward with Dance, and she'll help out a lot. Much better than maybe killing an armored knight with double-thoron.
(Plus, if you level her Reason enough to get meteor, she tends not to kill people with it, but she can really soften up a particularly nasty enemy across the map.)

I made Marianne a Pegasus Knight, and she was kinda terrible to start with, even with her special lance combat art? But now in Part 2, she just hit Falcon Knight-tier, gained a boost to strength to allow for better counters, and whoops now she's great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Canonically, Raphael is the winner of the dance contest, even on routes where you don't have him.