Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JerryLee posted:

What you're saying here and what they said are both true, is the thing. There were several egregious mistake cards in Urza block, out of hundreds of cards, which is obviously still several more than acceptable and is why they were called on the carpet, but once they banned all the horrible combos there was still a Standard (Type 2) format that was quite playable for another year and a half or so until it rotated out.

Like, I could still to this day, off the top of my head, name you several distinctive Type 2 decks based on Urza block cards from the period after the dust had settled from all the bannings. I'm struggling to think of what the decks derived from Kaladesh block were after the energy cards were banned. There was a red deck with that courier dude I guess???

The thing is though it only takes one or two utterly broken or lovely cards to make a fornat bad. See JtMS, that X burn Miracle whose name I am blanking on, Skullclamp, Jitte, Energy, as examples of cards or mechanics that made their standard formats suck.

Urza Block had way more of those cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

jassi007 posted:

It is in fact not a winning idea. You put their forests into play while you never advance your mana base and eventually they just wurmcoil or Karn you and then you lose after doing nothing of value for a few turns.

little munchkin posted:

it's actually a really good example because post-horizons the best gameplan jund has against tron is still "put a single ghost quarter in your sideboard and hope to get lucky"

Are people just forgetting that Assassins Trophy is A Thing?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Jund did not get a faster clock to go with either of these so the calculus has not fundamentally changed

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

AlternateNu posted:

Assassins trophy is great. Assassin trophy helps delay things against tron. I think the big issue is that tron's gameplan is just very strong against jund's gameplan and making your sideboard 75% tron hate isn't worth the space. Might as well leave the matchup the way it is.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Sickening posted:

Assassins trophy is great. Assassin trophy helps delay things against tron. I think the big issue is that tron's gameplan is just very strong against jund's gameplan and making your sideboard 75% tron hate isn't worth the space. Might as well leave the matchup the way it is.

Agree. Trophy makes the matchup probably 30/70 where it was like 10/90 in Tron's favor. Jund could have a favorable matchup if there was a creature that could disrupt their mana in some way while also giving you a clock. Basically if Tarmogoyf and Damping Sphere had a baby that'd probably do the trick. Or a creature that was like XX, discard a card: destroy target non-basic land. If i could swing and throw cards away to blow up lands that'd be decent.

The problem with Tron is when it can get to 6 or 7 lands eventually while you durdle around. You need a fast clock to pair with disruption or be super loving fast. The decks that traditionally ruin Tron are infect and mono-red / burn decks because they get in faster than Karn or Wurmcoil can come down to do their bullshit.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 12, 2019

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Retromancer posted:

Emrakul was gone in the first round of bannings that standard and the Marvel deck got even better.

the super linear "just marvel for a big eldrazi" plan got stomped, so they rebuilt as a value creature deck that occasionally just dropped an ulamog on your opponent. It was much more consistent and oppressive to play against.

that's fair, aetherworks marvel isn't that important a card to have for historic

jassi007 posted:

Agree. Trophy makes the matchup probably 30/70 where it was like 10/90 in Tron's favor. Jund could have a favorable matchup if there was a creature that could disrupt their mana in some way while also giving you a clock. Basically if Tarmogoyf and Damping Sphere had a baby that'd probably do the trick. Or a creature that was like XX, discard a card: destroy target non-basic land. If i could swing and throw cards away to blow up lands that'd be decent.

The problem with Tron is when it can get to 6 or 7 lands eventually while you durdle around. You need a fast clock to pair with disruption or be super loving fast. The decks that traditionally ruin Tron are infect and mono-red / burn decks because they get in faster than Karn or Wurmcoil can come down to do their bullshit.

Yeah, trophy slows them down, but when they topdeck ugin, wurmcoil, ulamog and karn while you topdeck thoughtseize and bolt, you'll never win those long games.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I know no one is saying Tron should be banned just this second, but Jund having a like 53% winrate now indicates to me that the format always needs decks that can go over the top. Jund now has access to a Stony silence effect, a tribal wrath-like effect in Plague Engineer (that also effectively removes Lingering Souls from being a threat to Jund), a small creature pinger, mana fixer, and mana ensurer in W6, and a horizon land. Imagine the format without Tron, lol.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

I'm more upset that we don't get to play the good vehicles in a format that also has a clean answer for them in spyglass.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Retromancer posted:

I'm more upset that we don't get to play the good vehicles in a format that also has a clean answer for them in spyglass.

Let me tell you the story of equipment and it’s struggles friend

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ShaneB posted:

I know no one is saying Tron should be banned just this second, but Jund having a like 53% winrate now indicates to me that the format always needs decks that can go over the top. Jund now has access to a Stony silence effect, a tribal wrath-like effect in Plague Engineer (that also effectively removes Lingering Souls from being a threat to Jund), a small creature pinger, mana fixer, and mana ensurer in W6, and a horizon land. Imagine the format without Tron, lol.

lionel-hutz-rainbow.jpg

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Tubgoat posted:

Oh hey, they took black out of Jund, replaced it with burn and made that deck more or less that I want Wrenn for.
https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=22727&d=355178&f=MO

I like some of the spice in this top 8.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

I feel like these are the words of someone who didn't play during Urza block

Urza block was a net good for Magic.

It just sucked until the bans.

I think MH will be once the same, once they stop missing. Hogaak is a novel, interesting, and exciting design... if they just banned the drat thing instead of Bridge.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Tubgoat posted:

Oh hey, they took black out of Jund, replaced it with burn and made that deck more or less that I want Wrenn for.
https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=22727&d=355178&f=MO

That Martyr-Proc style deck makes me really want to try it out now. Although it's weird that they'd run Mind Stone over Arcum Astrolabe when they're running all snow covered plains.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I think MH will be once the same, once they stop missing. Hogaak is a novel, interesting, and exciting design... if they just banned the drat thing instead of Bridge.

Urza block led to Masques block so no it was not a net good.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

InterrupterJones posted:

That Martyr-Proc style deck makes me really want to try it out now. Although it's weird that they'd run Mind Stone over Arcum Astrolabe when they're running all snow covered plains.

Those two cards don't do the same thing at all.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

smertrioslol posted:

I like some of the spice in this top 8.

fyi it's a list of 5-0 decks from mtgo leagues, not the top 8 of a competitive tournament

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Lone Goat posted:

Those two cards don't do the same thing at all.

Unless I'm missing something - which I might be - I don't know why the mana accel effect is more important than the card draw in a deck like that.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I dunno what y'all are complaining about

https://twitter.com/Boss_MTG/status/1160959857513701376?s=19

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

InterrupterJones posted:

Unless I'm missing something - which I might be - I don't know why the mana accel effect is more important than the card draw in a deck like that.

mind stone accelerates your mana, arcum's astrolabe fixes it. the card draw is about making them playable rather than the point. you run mind stone if you want to cast big things sooner, arcum's astrolabe if you want to play a lot of colors and/or play tron

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ThIs Is WhAt MoDeRN PlAyErS DeSerVE

There Panzeh, I posted it so you don’t have to

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

How many faithless lootings were there tho

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mandatory lesbian posted:

How many faithless lootings were there tho

Only 24, so a little below expectation.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I think at "glowspore value-town" he had run out of different ways to put it.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

What made it a net good?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

The thing is though it only takes one or two utterly broken or lovely cards to make a fornat bad. See JtMS, that X burn Miracle whose name I am blanking on, Skullclamp, Jitte, Energy, as examples of cards or mechanics that made their standard formats suck.

Literally nobody is arguing that Urza's Block didn't have several cards that were lovely and made the format bad before they were banned, though? I'm not sure who or what you're arguing against here.

The cards you're listing, if anything, make Urza's Block look better because there was no card in Urza block (again, post-bannings) that distorted the format heavily around one or two cards/decks the way some of those did. You might be able to argue that Masticore came close, I suppose.

jassi007 posted:

Or a creature that was like XX, discard a card: destroy target non-basic land.

It's tragically funny that you're proposing a card that is almost strictly worse than Dwarven Miner (and its Blasting cousin) and it still probably couldn't get printed today

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 12, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Did the CFB ama on judgeapps ever get mirrored anywhere?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

JerryLee posted:

It's tragically funny that you're proposing a card that is almost strictly worse than Dwarven Miner (and its Blasting cousin) and it still probably couldn't get printed today

Well, I'd like it to be a bit better than a 1/2 and not have to tap to blow up a land. Ideally it would be both a beater and a land nuker. Say a 3/1 or 4/1 that would force them to run some interaction.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

ItBreathes posted:

Did the CFB ama on judgeapps ever get mirrored anywhere?

Judgecast has an almost 3 hour podcast on it out today that I'll try to listen to some time tomorrow and report on how it's the best idea ever actualy,,,

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

jassi007 posted:

Well, I'd like it to be a bit better than a 1/2 and not have to tap to blow up a land. Ideally it would be both a beater and a land nuker. Say a 3/1 or 4/1 that would force them to run some interaction.

I want a Detritivore that suspends for less mana

Interaction is for chumps

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Adlai Stevenson posted:

I want a Detritivore that suspends for less mana

Interaction is for chumps

glancing at forums while at work and kept seeing this as “Detroitivore”

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JerryLee posted:

Literally nobody is arguing that Urza's Block didn't have several cards that were lovely and made the format bad before they were banned, though? I'm not sure who or what you're arguing against here.

I'm trying to get someone to tell me what made Urza block "good" after the bans, like people were saying.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Reprint Avalanche Riders, except instead of Echo, it blinks on your opponents' upkeep

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Silhouette posted:

Reprint Avalanche Riders, except instead of Echo, it has convoke and delve

:hmmyes:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
And you can cast it form the graveyard.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

TheKingofSprings posted:

ThIs Is WhAt MoDeRN PlAyErS DeSerVE

There Panzeh, I posted it so you don’t have to

You got me pretty good.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Voyager I posted:

And you can cast it form the graveyard.

whoops, i forgot in my haste

also make it a zombie just in case

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Just print Fulminator Mage with delve and convoke that you can cast from the graveyard..

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

I'm trying to get someone to tell me what made Urza block "good" after the bans, like people were saying.

My favorite Urza block trivia:

What was the theme of Urza block?

If you said artifacts, you're wrong! It's enchantments. The block has 68 artifacts (in the ballpark of Mirage's 70 and Tempest's 62) but 159 enchantments (for reference, Theros has 156)

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

What made it a net good?

Six million cool-rear end designs, Urza's Saga had Gamble, Goblin Lackey, Phyrexian Tower, Argothian Enchantress, Attunement, Exploration, Morphling, Gilded Drake, Greater Good, Smoke Stacks, and Abundance, among others.

And that's just Saga rares.

And it was the first time they really revved the engine in terms of power which is a valuable learning moment, while over two decades later I still get to play with Frantic Search in high-powered formats.

Also they debuted Cycling and Cycling should be loving evergreen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

???

Bonfire of the Damned was an insanely efficient spell but it's one of the silliest cards to point to as an example that "ruined" its standard.

INN-RTR standard was one of the most diverse standards in recent memory, and it had plenty of powerful poo poo to do as well! Hell, Bonfire wasn't even close to the bogeyman of that format!