Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

kustomkarkommando posted:

Cyphers power is not lame. Remember that time when he came back as a zombie and defeated all the new mutants by translating the language of punching.

Or when he was reintroduced this latest time and his mutant power made him hopelessly addicted to the infernet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Skwirl posted:

Aside from the last issue of Rosenberg's Uncanny are there examples of no Phoenix Jean doing really amazing TK tricks
None that I can remember off the top of head, but see like, this is sort of an unfair question because, again, all the amazing TK tricks that Jean has done as the Phoenix -- intricate manipulation at the atomic level -- was supposed to be, in canon, her own actual power and potential. So when a big ol' retcon comes along and is like "Oh no, see, those don't count anymore because we wanna pass the Phoenix Force around like a party trick to like Magik or whoever"...I mean, imagine someone going to the Hulk and being like, hey, remember all those times you did something super strong and cool? Well that was actually the Hulk Force and now we're giving it to umm let's see Rick Jones so now there's a bunch of Hulks running around aaand hmmmmm maybe the Hulk isn't the best example but you get what I mean :v:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Wolveri-

Spider-Man-

This is hard.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Rachel feels like a character nobody really seems to have known what to do with since like... the 90s. Excalibur was the last time I can think of her being remotely handled well and half the time it feels like people forget she exists even when it should be really goddamn relevant (like say, the Phoenix.)

Honestly? The best thing for them to do with her is to have her go through some sort of "making peace with her past/future" story, and then have her use her hound/Caliban-like powers to do something good with X-Force or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Martinpale posted:

Honestly? The best thing for them to do with her is to have her go through some sort of "making peace with her past/future" story, and then have her use her hound/Caliban-like powers to do something good with X-Force or something.

I think they've done this like 3 times already and then it gets forgotten or reverted or it's technically Rachel Summers from Earth 811.1/2 or whatever.

BrianWilly posted:

None that I can remember off the top of head, but see like, this is sort of an unfair question because, again, all the amazing TK tricks that Jean has done as the Phoenix -- intricate manipulation at the atomic level -- was supposed to be, in canon, her own actual power and potential. So when a big ol' retcon comes along and is like "Oh no, see, those don't count anymore because we wanna pass the Phoenix Force around like a party trick to like Magik or whoever"...I mean, imagine someone going to the Hulk and being like, hey, remember all those times you did something super strong and cool? Well that was actually the Hulk Force and now we're giving it to umm let's see Rick Jones so now there's a bunch of Hulks running around aaand hmmmmm maybe the Hulk isn't the best example but you get what I mean :v:

Honestly I can't think of a hero who hasn't basically had that happen. As you said the Hulk is basically built on that. Multiple people have Spider-Man's powers through cloning or being bitten by the same Spider or it turns out that it's just a universal constant that there are Spider-Men/Women and they die in most what-ifs. Multiple people have Iron Man's suit or can one-up him on it. Dr. Strange is literally of a lineage of magic users.

A lot of how power is defined is how it is used, not where it comes from.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 11, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
See also Thor.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

davebo posted:

If he didn't have Warlock bits on him I would never remember who he was. Just last night I was reading the X-Men annual from 1985 and at one point he fuses with Warlock to help Warlock heal. My problem with the New Mutants was always their identical uniforms. Superhero costumes are awesome and it cuts so much personality out of any character to have them dress the same as everyone else.

The New Mutants’ “graduation costumes” were awful but the second set, around the Fall of the Mutants, were great.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly I can't think of a hero who hasn't basically had that happen. As you said the Hulk is basically built on that. Multiple people have Spider-Man's powers through cloning or being bitten by the same Spider or it turns out that it's just a universal constant that there are Spider-Men/Women and they die in most what-ifs. Multiple people have Iron Man's suit or can one-up him on it. Dr. Strange is literally of a lineage of magic users.
Those aren't really the best parallels, and to be honest neither was my original Hulk one which was just a joke. When Gwen Stacy at Earth-whatever gained spider-powers, they didn't have to take it away from Peter Parker. Dr. Strange being good at magic doesn't mean that Dr. Voodoo suddenly isn't. Wolverine having children doesn't mean that somehow him being Wolverine was a mistake and that being Wolverine was holding Wolverine back, which is the literal logical cartwheels that they had to toss out for Jean. Thor losing the hammer for a while so Jane can be Thor is probably the best direct comparison, and even then the hammer kinda came with that proviso in the first place, and even then that didn't last forever.

The whole original question here pretty much just spells out my problem with it wholesale: Jean's great TK feats somehow "don't count" towards her omega status anymore if they're Phoenix-driven, nevermind the fact that being Phoenix was her power. I don't have a problem with a Phoenix Corp or anything (which, obviously, is what was being alluded to at the end of Morrison's run anyway) and definitely not if it's someone like Rachel who literally carries Jean's genes -- the Jenes if you will -- but simply with the idea that Jean has to somehow be less, not have a great power that was originally hers, just so other characters can look cool and flamey and powerful.

Like seriously. They gave it to Colossus and Magik. C'mon now.

And all this is even before considering the whole "it's an inherently dangerous force that's inherently going to turn you out of control if you have it!!" smear job in AvX

e: And it also isn't even considering how Jean was also literally calling herself Phoenix throughout the 90s, even while she was wearing her headband costume, as her way to reclaim that identity and not be scared of the powers that came along with it. So one might maybe understand why it miffs me when writers are suddenly like "ok now Namor is Phoenix, that'll be fun right :haw:"

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 11, 2019

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In the end the Phoenix was only Jean for like 6 years and she was dead for a lot of it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

So I've decided to start reading Claremont's X-Men, because that's a massive gap in my comics knowledge that I've been wanting to fill in, reading House/Powers has given me an X-Men itch that I want to scratch. poo poo starts off pretty wild, doesn't it?

That's a hell of a panel right there. I was expecting the X-Men to face THE CHILD OF ELDER GODS right from the start of this, but hey, here we are.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vandar posted:

So I've decided to start reading Claremont's X-Men, because that's a massive gap in my comics knowledge that I've been wanting to fill in, reading House/Powers has given me an X-Men itch that I want to scratch. poo poo starts off pretty wild, doesn't it?

That's a hell of a panel right there. I was expecting the X-Men to face THE CHILD OF ELDER GODS right from the start of this, but hey, here we are.

You are in for a loving treat. Not since Kirby left Fantastic Four was there a more important or entertaining superhero book published.

Please keep us updated on your read through, I love reading people's first reactions to these stories.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
I've been reading through Claremont's run for the first time (mostly, I read a collection of his stuff about 15 years ago) as well. Just finished Days of Future Past and I'm ready for more stories involving Kitty "Best Character" Pryde.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

EDIT 2: Also if the Apocalypse war timeline didn't end then how do we have more Moiras after that?

None of the timelines ended, the circle just denotes Moira dying. The dotted line also meant coma in another timeline, so maybe Moira IX fell into a coma or got possessed or something?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Skwirl posted:

You are in for a loving treat. Not since Kirby left Fantastic Four was there a more important or entertaining superhero book published.

Please keep us updated on your read through, I love reading people's first reactions to these stories.

Claremont's run absolutely holds the hell up. I've been going through a full reread for the first time in more than a decade and the difference between it and basically anything else being published is night and day--not necessarily (but often) in terms of quality, but there's just a deftness of characterization and a density of story that rewards close reading.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Web Jew.0 posted:

None of the timelines ended, the circle just denotes Moira dying. The dotted line also meant coma in another timeline, so maybe Moira IX fell into a coma or got possessed or something?

I figured dotted lines meant no memories from that point onward.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Rochallor posted:

Claremont's run absolutely holds the hell up. I've been going through a full reread for the first time in more than a decade and the difference between it and basically anything else being published is night and day--not necessarily (but often) in terms of quality, but there's just a deftness of characterization and a density of story that rewards close reading.

I get the feeling that a lot of the writers who grew up reading Claremont ended up going into other media, which feels a bit rare.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
What's a good way to read Claremont xmen? I do a lot of digital comics these days, is there a giant lump collection or is it just those essential books?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The cheapest way is to get Marvel Unlimited and follow a reading order.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Roth posted:

The cheapest way is to get Marvel Unlimited and follow a reading order.

This. You can start with Giant Sized and #94 and just continue from there. You don't start getting into inter-book crossovers until after #200. And even those are pretty easily followed with just a few interconnecting books. Also, this was the period where not only was stuff recapped via dialogue constantly but editor notes where to find what was referenced were in every issue.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, do Unlimited, read Giant Size X-Men number one then start reading Uncanny X-Men 94, aside from the Annuals there aren't any crossovers to worry about for like the first 8 years of comics.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I can confirm that cataloging your Uncanny X-Men physical copies then hitting up ebay and other places to fill in everything between #94 and #325ish is not the most economical route and Marvel Unlimited is a cheaper option. Although if you want to "own" digital copies what I did because I certainly wasn't going to read all those more expensive issues, is wait for a huge sale on comixology and get the uncanny collections for like 85% off.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

davebo posted:

I can confirm that cataloging your Uncanny X-Men physical copies then hitting up ebay and other places to fill in everything between #94 and #325ish is not the most economical route and Marvel Unlimited is a cheaper option. Although if you want to "own" digital copies what I did because I certainly wasn't going to read all those more expensive issues, is wait for a huge sale on comixology and get the uncanny collections for like 85% off.

Microsoft is closing their digital bookstore and people will lose all access to any books they bought that aren't downloaded. Amazon (who owns comixology) has deleted ebooks people purchased off of their kindles. Own is definitely overstating your relationship with the electronic media you've payed for.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

https://www.comicbookherald.com/chris-claremont-era-x-men-reading-order-guide/

This is the reading list I’m using. Does anything look off here?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Skwirl posted:

Microsoft is closing their digital bookstore and people will lose all access to any books they bought that aren't downloaded. Amazon (who owns comixology) has deleted ebooks people purchased off of their kindles. Own is definitely overstating your relationship with the electronic media you've payed for.

Yes, hence the quotes. I look forward to my entire Steam library one day disappearing too.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Vandar posted:

https://www.comicbookherald.com/chris-claremont-era-x-men-reading-order-guide/

This is the reading list I’m using. Does anything look off here?

When doing a Claremont read, once the spin off books (New Mutants, X-Factor, and Excalibur) show up things start to get a little wobbly, and then things get really complicated with the big summer crossovers. Fortunately the list you've got seems to be correct as far as I can recall. I'm not sure all the spin off issues are on Marvel Unlimited yet, though. The main X-Men books will be but you might run into gaps with some of the others.

Keep us updated on how you find things. Those are the books of my childhood and I'm always entertained to hear new reactions to the old books!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, Marvel Unlimited was the best $100 I’ve spent the last few years or so. (Normally it’s $60 but I paid the extra for the Marvel.com discount and mainly the Venomized Punisher Marvel Legends figure.)

Just finished Age of Apocolypse for the first time, since I fell out of comics about a 8-10 months before it started but it was always this omnipresent thing I had meant to get around to. Might jump into Generation X next since that was another thing I always had in my someday list. I still remember all the hype about the first issue being released digitally for free, and the AOL puts the issue out as 24 separate files each about 25-30 megs during the age of dial up.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Was at a local dive bar to watch wrestling, and was talking to an old friend about X-Men and how he needs to read Hickman’s books. Some “Brand Ambassador” for a cigarette company overheard me, and we ended up talking about comics for a while.

The hype is real for Hickman’s X-Men.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:
I've been subbed to Marvel Unlimited since right after it came out and it really is great. Used to have Punisher Max and a few other things that got pulled, but for the most part the big stuff is all there. The convenience of being in a random waiting room somewhere and being able to pull up the flavor of comic you want to kill some time is great. I'd kill for an equal DC app and quite frankly I barely pay attention to DC these days because I can just go read something Marvel for next to nothing.

Most of my reading is in bed with the light off so I don't buy much physical these days. I might go out and start grabbing the new Hickman run though because I don't think I can wait six months. Haven't been a fan of anything X-Men related since Remender left X-Force, but these new issues are peak Hickman which is right up there with Morrison for me.

Has it been explained somewhere how Cyclops is back?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Donde Esta posted:

I've been subbed to Marvel Unlimited since right after it came out and it really is great. Used to have Punisher Max and a few other things that got pulled, but for the most part the big stuff is all there. The convenience of being in a random waiting room somewhere and being able to pull up the flavor of comic you want to kill some time is great. I'd kill for an equal DC app and quite frankly I barely pay attention to DC these days because I can just go read something Marvel for next to nothing.

Most of my reading is in bed with the light off so I don't buy much physical these days. I might go out and start grabbing the new Hickman run though because I don't think I can wait six months. Haven't been a fan of anything X-Men related since Remender left X-Force, but these new issues are peak Hickman which is right up there with Morrison for me.

They had a couple issues of Punisher Max that I'm sure were only uploaded on accident so were pulled as soon as someone realized.

I haven't used it, but the DC Universe app (which you can also use to watch a bunch of DC shows) added like 20,000 comics. I also am not as familiar with DC as Marvel, but they got a lot of medium cuts from what I could tell (Starman, Waid's Flash)

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Donde Esta posted:

Scott saved a guy's life early in his career. Teenage Cable went back in time to talk to that guy, who'd gone on to work for Tony Stark, and get him to come up with a miniaturized version of Stark's Phoenix-force battery gadget from AvX. The guy did so, teen Cable swiped Scott's body, and they implanted the gadget in Scott's body.

A little later, when the Phoenix force briefly brought Scott back during The Resurrection of Jean Grey, the gadget collected a little bit of energy from the Phoenix, which rejuvenated Scott.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Vandar posted:

Also that entire mess happened because Scott got pissy at the narrator

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Open Marriage Night posted:

Some “Brand Ambassador” for a cigarette company

That's a hell of a job in 2019.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

danbanana posted:

They take down peoples information in bars in exchange for coupons. People eat that poo poo up.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Open Marriage Night posted:

They take down peoples information in bars in exchange for coupons. People eat that poo poo up.

I remember when they used to give people free packs of cigarettes and zippos in exchange. And the reps were always attractive as hell. It was super useful if were already a smoker who was running low and you had a throwaway email address.

edit: Now that I think about it I'm surprised Juul doesn't have people in skimpy fairy outfits sprinkling vape cartridges on people at bars.

CubanMissile fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Aug 12, 2019

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Wanderer posted:

Scott saved a guy's life early in his career. Teenage Cable went back in time to talk to that guy, who'd gone on to work for Tony Stark, and get him to come up with a miniaturized version of Stark's Phoenix-force battery gadget from AvX. The guy did so, teen Cable swiped Scott's body, and they implanted the gadget in Scott's body.

A little later, when the Phoenix force briefly brought Scott back during The Resurrection of Jean Grey, the gadget collected a little bit of energy from the Phoenix, which rejuvenated Scott.

Either that or it's going to end up having something to do with the clone pod things or Sinister somehow. Who knows what Hickman is going to keep, and what he isn't?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
That Resurrection seems to be part of the Lost decade now. Or at least the part where they were the P5.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 12, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

danbanana posted:

Eh, they're some of the few people in the tobacco industry that only market it to adults.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Nevvy Z posted:

That Resurrection seems to be part of the Lost decade now. Or at least the part where they were the P5.

You guys are massively overthinking this.

The X-Men's history is not going to be portioned out to the different Moira lives because that doesn't make any sense with what we've been seeing. Hickman isn't going to do a full-on Marvel Universe reboot in these comics.

The timelines at the end of the issue only show one that actually matches up with the history of the X-Men as we know it, the tenth and last one. That's what we've been watching all along.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Blockhouse posted:

That's what we've been watching all along.

Is it? VI is missing for a reason. And the scenes with young Moira and Xavier at the RenFair tell a very different story than what has been told before. Assuming the X timeline is 616 means that 616 Xavier knew about Moira's lives for years and hid it from everyone, etc. (ugh, another Xavier secret). I don't think it's crazy to assume that what's presented in HoXPoX isn't 616. Maybe VI is; Maybe that's the Moira-dies-after-curing-Legacy timeline and X is where she fakes her death in that situation because she's learned from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Seems like a real bad idea to restore a franchise to promenience within your fictional shared universe if you're not actually setting the flagship book in said universe?

The future timelines in Powers could go either way, I admit.