Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

nooneofconsequence posted:

I'm going to Ireland for 10 days. Assuming I can't find Clarence, how many calories do I need to eat to avoid losing strength?

All the calories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

What brand boardshorts are you guys buying? I'm dummy thicc and need to go 1-2 sizes up on the waist most times to fit my thighs and rear end, and I'd rather just get something that fits right.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

What brand boardshorts are you guys buying? I'm dummy thicc and need to go 1-2 sizes up on the waist most times to fit my thighs and rear end, and I'd rather just get something that fits right.

Whatever brand Costco has because they are cheap as poo poo and last.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Whatever brand Costco has because they are cheap as poo poo and last.

Costco is seasonal though, they got winter poo poo out already.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry I only buy sweatpants like a real pro.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

*takes notes* Wear cutoff Zubaz to the beach

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Costco is seasonal though, they got winter poo poo out already.

True. Mine in SoCal still has shorts out but I did see that other places they’ve put out the flannels.

Next year though they are the place to go for sure.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Going to move up to doubles on all my 70lb kettlebell stuff next week, it's going to look p good doing double snatches and double clean and jerks :getin:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I front squatted 205lbs for a triple today.

Even after doing a clean and jerk double at what I opened last competition at 78kg or 172lbs.

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice
I was told by a physician my heart isn’t healthy enough for lifting.

I used lifting and dieting to go from 290 to 170 and now sit at a nice 200 where people ask me how often I work out.

I’m in the best shape of my life but turns out have a congenital heart defect. I’m waiting for a second opinion and am also employed by the greatest heart care hospital system in the world so any surgery is covered.

Never any symptoms only a murmur caught on my annual physical lead to an echo.

None of my friends or family “get it” and realize how much this sucks

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Weebly posted:

I was told by a physician my heart isn’t healthy enough for lifting.

I used lifting and dieting to go from 290 to 170 and now sit at a nice 200 where people ask me how often I work out.

I’m in the best shape of my life but turns out have a congenital heart defect. I’m waiting for a second opinion and am also employed by the greatest heart care hospital system in the world so any surgery is covered.

Never any symptoms only a murmur caught on my annual physical lead to an echo.

None of my friends or family “get it” and realize how much this sucks

My coach is 38 now and was a world class dead lifter. He got diagnosed with a heart condition at 34 and they told him the same thing. He had heart surgery and he’s back to dead lifting nearly the weight he got the world record in.

It sucks and you have my sympathies hopefully they can fix it. He was in great shape before the surgery so his recovery wasn’t terrible and he was back to lifting with in a few months.

Get it fixed and get back on that train. It’s a set back but not the end of the world.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

MarcusSA posted:

I is 35 now and was a goon class dead lifter. I got diagnosed with a heart condition at 23 and some doctors told him the same thing. I had heart surgery and he's back before baby to dead lifting nearly the weight he got the goon record in.

Same.

Some doctors told me to not look at a weight again but luckily my cardiologists are pretty active and told me to start careful but that it was likely to still lift. Don't lose hope until you get that second or third opinion.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I deadlifted 4 plates for a triple last Friday and I'm still feeling it this Monday. It might have taken a couple years off my lifespan

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

UnfurledSails posted:

I deadlifted 4 plates for a triple last Friday and I'm still feeling it this Monday. It might have taken a couple years off my lifespan

Worth it, right?

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

UnfurledSails posted:

Welcome friend

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Who cares if your heart explodes

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Collapsing Farts posted:

Who cares if your heart explodes

Friends and family.

Lost a good friend 12 years ago to a undiagnosed heart issue.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Look at mr fancypants over here with his ”friends” and ”family”

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWUcHKAj_tc

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

ultrafilter posted:

Don't sweat it. There are some pretty hard limits on how much strength you can lose in ten days unless you're fasting and/or doing excessive running. You might be a little worse off the first week back, but by the second week you'll be fine.
I was just looking for someone to validate my overeating.

Zzulu posted:

All the calories
This guy gets it.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

just take a vacation, go for a run if you get no-workout anxiety

or go swim in the pool and drink?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

A restaurant near me (a little mom-and-pop East Coast bakery with an insane foodie for an owner who keeps putting crazy poo poo on the menu like Korean shrimp stacks and Peking duck and banh mi and switching it out like every two weeks) has started selling a giant spicy turkey leg they call the Yar!.

It's like they know me

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Mustached Demon posted:

Worth it, right?

https://twitter.com/DinkMagic/status/1161100711624609793?s=20

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

So dumb gym mat drama is done now and they featured me on their instagram as the "kettlebell king"

I'm the only one that uses them so I guess its true?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
savage

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

congrats on your new fiefdom, treat your kettlebell subjects well

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

bomb posted:

So dumb gym mat drama is done now and they featured me on their instagram as the "kettlebell king"

I'm the only one that uses them so I guess its true?

Heavy lies the hand that wields the bell

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I did a starting strength workout on saturday and just started with squat/press/deadlift. I've worked out doing this stuff before, but not for years. And apparently I had been doing it all wrong. For the last 2 months I've been doing cardio to get my general fitness level up.

Anyway I haven't been able to walk properly due to sore quads since Saturday. It's not a pulled anything or a tendon issue, but it's the worst muscle stiffness/soreness I've ever had, apart from terrible calf muscle problems I get from doing calf raises. Wow.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

My gym is now charging trainers that don't put their poo poo away after they're done with clients

gently caress yes. Lay down the law.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I just really want to say how happy I am with my corporate gym. Sure, it's not a black iron barbell club or anything, but everything is clean and working, there are actual platforms/racks, and the best part is people are actually not dicks to each other and put everything away (probably because we all know where we all live work). And it's a good mix of people from legit strongbros down to the stereotypical scrawny analysts. This is going to do wonders for me mentally and physically.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

redreader posted:

I did a starting strength workout on saturday and just started with squat/press/deadlift. I've worked out doing this stuff before, but not for years. And apparently I had been doing it all wrong. For the last 2 months I've been doing cardio to get my general fitness level up.

Anyway I haven't been able to walk properly due to sore quads since Saturday. It's not a pulled anything or a tendon issue, but it's the worst muscle stiffness/soreness I've ever had, apart from terrible calf muscle problems I get from doing calf raises. Wow.

Foam rolling the soreness out helps. The doms strikes us all.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Turns out I've done a little pinch of the ol' sciatic nerve, which is pretty unfortunate. It's been getting better, but the return is super slow and it's difficult to keep that progress in mind.

Hasn't stopped me from going to the gym for glory muscle days though. I've also gained a new appreciation for individual leg machines. Looking forward to when it doesn't hurt to compress my right leg, and I'll be damned if it doesn't suck real hard to put on socks lol

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

redreader posted:

First week DOMS are the worst, I could barely get up or down the stairs.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

redreader posted:

Yeah. Just shove through this first two or three weeks. DOMS suck but you can ignore it.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I was deadlift-shamed today by a guy who was smaller than me who asked to work out with me on the deadlifts and this little muscle goblin started lifting more weight than me!! UNACCEPTABLE

He was actually pretty nice and now I have a new gym friend

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Zzulu posted:

I was deadlift-shamed today by a guy who was smaller than me who asked to work out with me on the deadlifts and this little muscle goblin started lifting more weight than me!! UNACCEPTABLE

He was actually pretty nice and now I have a new gym friend

Good, good, you've gained his trust. Now you can begin replacing his protein powder with sugar to surpass him.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

VorpalFish posted:

Good, good, you've gained his trust. Now you can begin replacing his protein powder with sugar to surpass him.

This reminds me, some years ago there was a protein powder brand that was all the rage in the YLLS/logcabin subforum. It was super cheap and tasted apparently great (I never had it as en EUgoon), so everyone bought tons of it. So some people got a bit curious how it can be cheap but still have so good macros (and taste great)

So some reddit guy (I think) had access to lab equipment that can test that and more or less found out that they all just ate simple sugar powder with artificial sweeteners and a dash of protein.

I can't recall the brand anymore, American *something* Protein or similar.

Edit: Found it after quick googling https://www.wral.com/raleigh-protein-powder-maker-charged-with-fraud/18559666/

American Pure Whey is the name of the company

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Does Amercia still not regulate supplements properly?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Zzulu posted:

Does Amercia still not regulate supplements properly?

Lol no. If it’s a supplement, it’s not a food and regulated differently by the FDA. From what I gather the US operates in a blacklist system where things are permissible until banned, whereas in the EU (due to the precautionary principle approach), supplements are regulars by a whitelist system, where certain checks and approvals are required before they can be marketed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Helios Grime posted:

American Pure Whey
I think it was Zugzwang on these very forums that tested it initially. IIRC someone from reddit tested a bunch of protein powders and found that even the "good" brands contain like 70-90% of the protein they claim to.