Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dementropy posted:

"The hype around Star Citizen is lower than we've seen it in a long time."

Remember when we considered 'hype' to be largely a negative construct around marketing doing anything they could to get eyes on a pre-release?

Yeah, the chattersphere is almost entirely marketing meta, and somewhat tone deaf to the whole 'but is it good?' axis of consumerism.

Edit:

Hav fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

MedicineHut posted:

July 2nd, 7.53 am. - The Ark of the Covenant is located in a buried temple in Jerusalem. Inside a single scripture with a short text inscription:

דרק סמארט צדק
:five:

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MedicineHut posted:

July 2nd, 7.53 am. - The Ark of the Covenant is located in a buried temple in Jerusalem. Inside a single scripture with a short text inscription:

דרק סמארט צדק

Not biblical enough and needs to be more prophetic.

Something like:

And on the 7th month of the year, a man, the Great Beast, Derek of the Smart, shall write an epistle upon the ether. And Lo! He shall write the truth about those citizens of the heavens. An infernal choir of Goons shall ascend from Sheol and proclaim "Derek was right".

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Agony Aunt posted:

Not biblical enough and needs to be more prophetic.

Something like:

And on the 7th month of the year, a man, the Great Beast, Derek of the Smart, shall write an epistle upon the ether. And Lo! He shall write the truth about those citizens of the heavens. An infernal choir of Goons shall ascend from Sheol and proclaim "Derek was right".

The Ten Cmdlets

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

deskeletonization 2.0 is looking good.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Sarsapariller posted:

It's a scam so blatant that only the kind of people who buy into white supremacist ideas are susceptible to it.

To the people ITT saying stuff like "He's not representative of the average Citizen," let me assure you that he absolutely is. He's saying the quiet parts real loud but the SC fanbase has been a hog-farm level cesspit of instant death toxicity towards trans people, women, people of color, and so on for 7 years now. It's only gotten more vehement and awful as the general tone of the culture war has changed, but it was always this bad. They may not straight up call you a "Slave-worthy" n-word but they will absolutely hang out with this guy and slap him on the back and say "Boys will be boys, did he make you salty?"

Burn it all to the ground

It's not just Store Citizen, it's PC Gamers in a nutshell. The comment section in pretty much any PC focused thing (eg. steam forums, pc gamer, r/pcgaming) is full of this poo poo unless it is very heavily moderated and the PC master racists slither off to somewhere more accepting. SC being "the ultimate pc game" just makes it a perfect magnet for them.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

big nipples big life posted:

It's not just Store Citizen, it's PC Gamers in a nutshell. The comment section in pretty much any PC focused thing (eg. steam forums, pc gamer, r/pcgaming) is full of this poo poo unless it is very heavily moderated and the PC master racists slither off to somewhere more accepting. SC being "the ultimate pc game" just makes it a perfect magnet for them.

It's a good job the SC community isn't heavily moderated then, it's no place for wrongthink! :v:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

heavily moderated against goon fudsters not against disgusting racists.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

The internet was a mistake?

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Sandweed posted:

It's easy.

He's not racist he's a race realist. Race realists like to say that they aren't racist because they are only basing their views on facts, but their facts are almost always taken from junk science, discredited quacks or FBI crime statistics. This allows you to say that whites are smarter than blacks and still claim you aint racists.

I'm not just a Star Citizen, I'm a quantum Darwinist and let me explain to you the difference between African quarks and European quarks:

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

Hav posted:

Remember when we considered 'hype' to be largely a negative construct around marketing doing anything they could to get eyes on a pre-release?

Yeah, the chattersphere is almost entirely marketing meta, and somewhat tone deaf to the whole 'but is it good?' axis of consumerism.

I took a break from SC and am amazed to see that people still take it serious. A quick Youtube search, ordered by date, revealed the following:

- Star Citizen - Delivery missions at Covalex and recruitment ideas
- Star Citizen 3.6.1 Live Gameplay #020 Anvile Valkyrie 1/2 (Fun with friends)
- Star Citizen Completing a Delivery Mission
- Star Citizen 3.7 - All about FUEL SCOOPING
- poo poo mass inertia (funny moments)
- Inside Star Citizen: Ships with Character
- Star Citizen CitizenCon 2019 - Leaks - Squadron 42 Release Date?
- How Is This Real?! Star Citizen 3.5 Arc Corp City Planet

In general, I'am amazed how many videos are uploaded and what little content they offer. Also, the view count is pretty low on average, even those Gamestar videos barely getting 50k views. However, I think at this rate this thread will be alive the next ten years with Crobbers being the first crowdfunded billionaire and still no game.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

BoredGamer: "Squadron 42 Beta 2020?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSYXfdzABxw

"It might get delayed, or it might not. But it might be on time too. They've made lots of great progress on the feature tasks."

Doesn't mention the large majority of Chapter tasks that are 3-6 months overdue.

Then shills for Gameglass

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Hav posted:

it started out ok

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

MedicineHut posted:

The aquisition news goes online on April 8th, 2020. Crobblers decision making is removed from game development. The Stympire begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 AM, Eastern time, April 9th. In a panic, Crobblers tries to pull the plug. The Stympire fights back. It launches its missiles against the targets in Wimslow, Hamburg, Austin and L.A.

the frankfurt studio cant believe their luck because the stimpire anihilated the wrong german city

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

ggangensis posted:

I took a break from SC and am amazed to see that people still take it serious. A quick Youtube search, ordered by date, revealed the following:

In general, I'am amazed how many videos are uploaded and what little content they offer. Also, the view count is pretty low on average, even those Gamestar videos barely getting 50k views. However, I think at this rate this thread will be alive the next ten years with Crobbers being the first crowdfunded billionaire and still no game.

This thread will be alive in 10 years just because 9 of those will be spent laughing at any info that gets posted of how this poo poo company operated.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
Everyday Star Citizen becomes more like Brexit - unicorn-level promises, sanctioned racism, and defenders who would rather go down with the dumpster fire before admitting they were wrong to by Idris/Nigel Farage Novelty Fedora and matching bowtie.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

nailed it.
hopefully they will be in the game too. (wreaking havoc across the verse, generally not giving a poo poo)

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

For all you fraudnerds, there's a good new podcast. It's called "Con-artists" and tells the tales of con-artists and heir schemes. Listened to the first two episodes, it's pretty good.

It's starts with Bernie Maddoff. Apprarently it took more than a decade and half a dozen of investigations before the SEC finally made a move against him. Judging by that we might really still be sitting here in 2029.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
Can you link it? There's a few.

edit: Found a ref: https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/con-artists

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

So if anyone's writing the post-mortem for this poo poo show, this is the angle to go for when struggling about any positives. It kept them all in one place and relatively busy for quite a few years, while they were trying to throw money in the fire to guarantee that the scam would transform into the game of their dreams and the best PC game ever.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

AbstractNapper posted:

So if anyone's writing the post-mortem for this poo poo show, this is the angle to go for when struggling about any positives. It kept them all in one place and relatively busy for quite a few years, while they were trying to throw money in the fire to guarantee that the scam would transform into the game of their dreams and the best PC game ever.

I think it's truer to suggest that there are some in the wider 'gaming' world that have a chip on their shoulder and are extremely vocal about it. While the more reasonable person simply shakes their head and moves on, the extremist likes the cut of their jib and reinforces what the person said originally. Before you know it, a bunch of people are reinforcing toxicity while everyone else walks away.

https://scotscoop.com/league-of-legends-attempts-at-mending-toxic-player-base/

Game companies are aware of this, obviously, but the actions vary from serious engagement with the problem, to simply waving it off as high-jinks. And this spectrum of results is because there's really no agreement as to whether it hurts or hinders commercial success. I'd suggest that in the long term it fucks over your commercial success because it creates an echo chamber where the developer is held hostage to the worst elements of their vocal fandom.

Because argumentation is now the way of the world (if I was running a game-based forum, I'd be _extremely_ militant, mainly because I'd assume that the majority of users were tweens with bad attitudes _unless shown otherwise_) we need some hard and fast rules governing a bunch of engagement, freeze peach notwithstanding.

Thing is that SC needs it's vocal toxins because they're literally bankrolling the thing. It makes it super hard to cut people off for behavior that can attempt to use their buy in for leverage; hell, that's one of the things Ben was up to.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
That's what I've been considering as a sort of positive note to the whole affair. Star Citizen has concentrated the most despicable of racists, nazis, and white supremacists into one central area while simultaneously emptying their wallets into the void. Every single scummy dollar that Chris Roberts has received is one more dollar that wasn't donated to a bigoted politician, organization, or radio host.

Once the whole thing falls apart that's potentially a bunch of money flowing back into the hands of purveyors of hatred. Hats off to Chris Roberts, he's really done a great job on that front.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hav posted:

I miss multiplayer gaming in the 90s.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The concentration thing is a nice theory but go into the steam forums for any new game with a female or minority protagonist and you'll see it's sadly not true. Look at the comments on PC gamer for any of the same. They are everywhere, CIG is just taking a bunch of their money.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

The concentration thing is a nice theory but go into the steam forums for any new game with a female or minority protagonist and you'll see it's sadly not true. Look at the comments on PC gamer for any of the same. They are everywhere, CIG is just taking a bunch of their money.

Yes it is bad in other games, but CIG is slightly different in that it needs these fanatics to keep going. Other gaming communities keep trying to mow the weed down as the pop up but CIG cultivates them as they are the ones that have no lives, derive status from video games, and vehemently defend their hobby from any and all criticisms. The real poo poo bags in other communities eventually get driven out but since CIG needs their money, they're allowed to stay and this drives out the other more sensible players who don't want to share a server with these loons. As progress drags along year after year, the Brown Sea becomes further and further concentrated in to a vile soup of pure poo poo.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

This is why more forums need a pay-to-post model so you can siphon money from misogynistic idiots, because apathy is definitely a main killer for proper moderation on reddit, amongst other places.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jobbo_Fett posted:

This is why more forums need a pay-to-post model so you can siphon money from misogynistic idiots, because apathy is definitely a main killer for proper moderation on reddit, amongst other places.

I'm not sure if you're making a joke, but this is true. I'd also support using real names rather than pseudonyms on the basis that people tend to behave better, but obviously the world is a slightly hosed up place because of bullying or the fine art of making people do what you want.

I said come in! posted:

About the time I got out of it. I literally Abe Simpson'ed off one server, as I joined to hear a child repeating 'N***er' over and over again, to the complete indifference of the adults online.

I dipped into Age of Conan at one point to see what was happening, and the General chat was a literal sewer of misogyny.

I'm 100% certain that kids are being radicalized by listening to people normalize bullshit like this (and it's technically the same as other forms of grooming).

The thing is that it's not all Star Citizens, or even all gamers, just enough that I personally don't like to identify as such because they're fast becoming a toxic demographic _before_ you even ask questions.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I said come in! posted:

Good times. Playing MUDs over the uni's JANET connection. Playing Dune 2 in the office via serial cable. Getting friends around and installing NICs and connecting with 10BASE-2 coax and praying you could get it to work.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Agony Aunt posted:

Good times. Playing MUDs over the uni's JANET connection. Playing Dune 2 in the office via serial cable. Getting friends around and installing NICs and connecting with 10BASE-2 coax and praying you could get it to work.

I got into it when 3rd party services popped up, like Heat.net, and m.player, so it was very easy. There was also no DLC, microtransactions, lootboxes, or pointless leveling mechanics in first person shooters. It was a good time, but sometimes you would get a $300 internet bill, and whoops, dad is going to beat me now.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lord Stimperor posted:

Judging by that we might really still be sitting here in 2029.

And SC still won't be released.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Agony Aunt posted:

And SC still won't be released.

I am determined to poo poo on Star Citizen until then.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hav posted:

I think it's truer to suggest that there are some in the wider 'gaming' world that have a chip on their shoulder and are extremely vocal about it. While the more reasonable person simply shakes their head and moves on, the extremist likes the cut of their jib and reinforces what the person said originally. Before you know it, a bunch of people are reinforcing toxicity while everyone else walks away.

https://scotscoop.com/league-of-legends-attempts-at-mending-toxic-player-base/

Game companies are aware of this, obviously, but the actions vary from serious engagement with the problem, to simply waving it off as high-jinks. And this spectrum of results is because there's really no agreement as to whether it hurts or hinders commercial success. I'd suggest that in the long term it fucks over your commercial success because it creates an echo chamber where the developer is held hostage to the worst elements of their vocal fandom.

Because argumentation is now the way of the world (if I was running a game-based forum, I'd be _extremely_ militant, mainly because I'd assume that the majority of users were tweens with bad attitudes _unless shown otherwise_) we need some hard and fast rules governing a bunch of engagement, freeze peach notwithstanding.

Thing is that SC needs it's vocal toxins because they're literally bankrolling the thing. It makes it super hard to cut people off for behavior that can attempt to use their buy in for leverage; hell, that's one of the things Ben was up to.

"Other than blaming the game itself or a player’s genuinely unkind attitude, these occurrences happen partially because of a phenomenon called the online disinhibition effect. This phenomenon describes the elevated lack of restraint that internet users feel when online as opposed to real life."

Buggrit! Millenium hand and shrimp!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

matchmaking is what poo poo up multiplayer, dedicated servers were so much better.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

you have now entered the get off my lawn section of the store citizen thread.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Scruffpuff posted:

The Ten Cmdlets

:golfclap:

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
My early MP experiences,

Doom 2 over null modem cable I made.
Descent on Kali on 14.4k modem, 1 frame per minute.
Someone from an usenet forum calling me up at standard UK long distance telephone rates to rocket bike rush me in Command and Conquer.
RAM epeening because Total Annihilation listed the installed memory of everyone in the lobby.
Stoned no rush Red Alert 2 games that lasted for hours because we got fixated on getting crates with Chronotroopers.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

matchmaking is what poo poo up multiplayer, dedicated servers were so much better.

Oh gods, auto matchmaking is just plain bad.

Yeah, it means you can get games quicker in general, but it also means you can't speak with players in the lobby and also spot people who you might know to be bad players.

I'd just like companies to implement decent block functions. If i've played with a bad player, then i'd like to block them and never matchmake with them again. Sure, it might mean i miss out on some games and have to wait longer, but over time the bad players will get blocked by so many they will stop getting matched with people except those other bad players.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Hav posted:

I'm not sure if you're making a joke, but this is true. I'd also support using real names rather than pseudonyms on the basis that people tend to behave better, but obviously the world is a slightly hosed up place because of bullying or the fine art of making people do what you want publishers but Chris Roberts is going to fix that.

I agree.

Well I'll go first then - Hello Something Awful forums, you guys might know me as Kosumo but my real name is Derek K Smart.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Agony Aunt posted:

Oh gods, auto matchmaking is just plain bad.

Yeah, it means you can get games quicker in general, but it also means you can't speak with players in the lobby and also spot people who you might know to be bad players.

I'd just like companies to implement decent block functions. If i've played with a bad player, then i'd like to block them and never matchmake with them again. Sure, it might mean i miss out on some games and have to wait longer, but over time the bad players will get blocked by so many they will stop getting matched with people except those other bad players.

It can go the other way, I remember BF2 servers owned by clans with members kicking everyone who doesn't play the way they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

you have now entered the get off my lawn section of the store citizen thread.

Well, to be fair it's been mulched, and you don't get a fine turf without care and attention over years. Now your youngsters of today would tell me to astroturf the lot, but where's the care? Where's the stewardship?

Kosumo posted:

I agree.

Well I'll go first then - Hello Something Awful forums, you guys might know me as Kosumo but my real name is Derek K Smart.

I *knew* it!

Agony Aunt posted:

I like this. At least you've stopped short of wanting them disemboweled.