Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/DigiDriver/status/1160545179138441216

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Lol if you don’t check everyone’s closest allies listing every month and only feed people together you want endings for and glue characters together to ensure your chosen ships happen.

(I wish there was something like A+ or S ranks to lock ships so I didn’t have to do that.)

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Tae posted:

Hilda's paralogue is one off the top of my head, as well as Lorenz.

Alois/Shamir's paralogue, too, though you still have a 3 turn kill window once someone breaches the line

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My current take is that Lysithea is probably the best character in the game, with Flayn and Mercedes hot on her heels. Good combat units are kind of a dime a dozen but good support units are much rarer. All three of them have high value over replacement by virtue of the powerful white magic they bring while having actually good magic stats.

Lysithea in particular doesn't make the player choose between deploying a warp user or a good combat unit because she's both. She's also probably the only unit in the game who has no weak matchups because luna lets her kill the enemies she'd normally have trouble with.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

ROFL Octopus posted:

Lysithea and Linhardt ending has Linhardt removing her crests, letting her live a long and normal life

I’m not even using Linhardt, I’m just having the two of them dine together all the time.

YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

cheetah7071 posted:

My current take is that Lysithea is probably the best character in the game, with Flayn and Mercedes hot on her heels. Good combat units are kind of a dime a dozen but good support units are much rarer. All three of them have high value over replacement by virtue of the powerful white magic they bring while having actually good magic stats.

Lysithea in particular doesn't make the player choose between deploying a warp user or a good combat unit because she's both. She's also probably the only unit in the game who has no weak matchups because luna lets her kill the enemies she'd normally have trouble with.

plus, with Thrysus Lysithea can pick off enemies from far away as well, she's a walking death machine

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

cheetah7071 posted:

poo poo i think pretty much all of my luna uses for her came in golden deer endgame because there were actually very powerful bosses with sizeable res stats

vyeah she needed luna to actually kill nemesis, and even only after claude and byleth weakened him enough, and she'd have certainly been OHKO'd on a counterattack

also i wish the black bars could cover tweet embeds but welp

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 12, 2019

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Both Lysithea and Hubert are walking magic murder machines, but Lysithea having access to Thyrsus (and Warp!) pushes her over the edge into absurdity. She one-shots literally everything save the final boss of the final Golden Deer mission, off whom she only took off about 60% of health in one hit because I guess she couldn't double his rear end.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Carlosologist posted:

plus, with Thrysus Lysithea can pick off enemies from far away as well, she's a walking death machine

It doesn't really matter when you come across the occasional magic immune giant boss mob, that's what everyone else is for.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

hopeandjoy posted:

Lol if you don’t check everyone’s closest allies listing every month and only feed people together you want endings for and glue characters together to ensure your chosen ships happen.

(I wish there was something like A+ or S ranks to lock ships so I didn’t have to do that.)

I just let fate take the wheel and wound up with
Petra/Caspar (dunno how this happened, honestly)
Lysithea/Hanneman (thank you for not being romantic)
Linhardt/Dorothea (must have gotten them in a heal loop)
Hubert/Ferdinand (THE JEWELS OF THE EMPIRE)

& I had Byleth go with Edelgard

I'm pretty bummed Bernie wound up alone, though. Checking the support log it seems i only got Raphael to A, not A+. Otherwise they would've gotten together
those + supports can be pretty sneaky

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Judge Tesla posted:

It doesn't really matter when you come across the occasional magic immune giant boss mob, that's what everyone else is for.

Every magic immune thing I've run across has been a monster that has it as a barrier ability, so, y'know, a single gambit hit by anyone else removes it and away we go...

Heart Attacks
Jun 17, 2012

That's how it works for magical girls.
on serene's forest, it lists class minimums; elsewhere, i've seen stat boosts or bonuses associated with classes

does anyone know what the actual impact of a class change on stats is / how the changes you get when you level are calculated?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Heart Attacks posted:

on serene's forest, it lists class minimums; elsewhere, i've seen stat boosts or bonuses associated with classes

does anyone know what the actual impact of a class change on stats is / how the changes you get when you level are calculated?

When you pass a certification, any of your stats that are below the new class' minimum get bumped to the minimum. In addition, while you are in the class, your stats are modified by the class modifiers.

Your growth rates are also effected by the class you're currently in. Usually +10% in stats the class is good at and -10% in stats its bad at or so.

I believe Serenes has all three tables up.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
So, despite knowing about Lysithea's dual crests, it didn't occur to me that Edelgard's probably also got the same deal re: life expectancy, which is one reason why she steps down after setting up her new regime. Apparently, in the supports, it's revealed that Lysithea got them the same way, even.
Now I'm really annoyed I never recruited her early enough in BE to see all her character supports.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Blaziken386 posted:

So, despite knowing about Lysithea's dual crests, it didn't occur to me that Edelgard's probably also got the same deal re: life expectancy, which is one reason why she steps down after setting up her new regime. Apparently, in the supports, it's revealed that Lysithea got them the same way, even.
Now I'm really annoyed I never recruited her early enough in BE to see all her character supports.

Edelgard having a reduced life expectancy is actually never mentioned unless you get her paired ending with Lysithea (in which they are both cured with knowledge they acquire fighting Those Who Slither). Given that she has other paired endings that imply she lives a long life, the most logical explanation is just that Edelgard always ends up doing this and it's just not referenced because she never makes a big issue of it the way Lysithea does (though personally I don't think it's a coincidence that she has a similar drive and urgency in accomplishing her goals). But it ends up feeling a little wonky, especially if you get their A support and then Lysithea ends up with one of the endings where she dies young. Surely Edelgard would help her out, right? Just a side effect of how the pairing system works, I guess.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

https://twitter.com/jununyx/status/1159968061904097282

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

What are the little >>'s above the letters in the support listings?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Sax Solo posted:

It means that rank has two conversations

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Sax Solo posted:

it means the characters get two support questions for that particular level (like byleth and claude at B, byleth and edelgard at C, or claude and ingrid at A)

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
So I take it these enemy characters I'm sparing in the second half probably don't get an ending credit card right?

Because I'm glad then that there IS an immediate payoff in certain situations like, for example sparing the two specific characters in Chapter 15 of Edelgard's route you cannot recruit by using Byleth to take them out

(Spoilers in the links if you follow them)

This is the post-battle cutscene for Edelgard CH15 if you spare them.

And THIS is the variation of the scene if you kill them by using any other character.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Can you only do certifications before at the start of a free day?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I’m starting to turn into an anime fan because of this game, I keep looking at fan art and searching for Blue Lions on Twitter and soon I’m gonna be talking about my wife-u or whatever and I’m scared but I also love it.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

mango sentinel posted:

Yes, and each character can only attempt one per week.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

DC Murderverse posted:

I’m starting to turn into an anime fan because of this game, I keep looking at fan art and searching for Blue Lions on Twitter and soon I’m gonna be talking about my wife-u or whatever and I’m scared but I also love it.

One of us, one of us
https://twitter.com/springexalt/status/1160621904044032001

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

mango sentinel posted:

Before missions too.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

motherfucker it is annoying to actually have to run around this monastery until quick-travel unlocks again

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

What exactly is the point of Cyril having aptitude if they gave him such low growths that they come out to being just about as good as everyone else's

You can't even see this information in the game, so aptitude only serves to mislead you on how his growths look!

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Amppelix posted:

What exactly is the point of Cyril having aptitude if they gave him such low growths that they come out to being just about as good as everyone else's

You can't even see this information in the game, so aptitude only serves to mislead you on how his growths look!

he's doing his best

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Amppelix posted:

With Aptitude and compared to Petra, Cyril is:
+10 HP
+10 Mag
+10 Dex
+10 Luck
+15 Res

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Reik posted:

With Aptitude and compared to Petra, Cyril is:
+10 HP
+10 Mag
+10 Dex
+10 Luck
+15 Res

which means that before aptitude, his growths are worse than hers across the board, and +20 is kind of a lie because he starts 10 in the hole

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

which means that before aptitude, his growths are worse than hers across the board, and +20 is kind of a lie because he starts 10 in the hole

So you would have rather them increase his base by 10 and reduce aptitude by 10?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I made Cyril a Wyvern Lord and by the end of the game he was easily a Top 5 unit in terms of stats, and a Top 3 in actually being useful because flying.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

An aptitude that can't be removed isn't functionally different from just, like, having the better growths to start with. They should have just done that and then given Cyril a real personal skill.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Reik posted:

So you would have rather them increase his base by 10 and reduce aptitude by 10?

Or just increase his bases? Personal skills are pretty powerful and he's trading his for better growths/stats in the endgame. +10% in a growth is an average of about 4 points in a stat by the end of the game which isn't nearly as good as Ferdinand/Bernadetta/Byleth/House Leaders/etc personal skills.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Reik posted:

yeah ultimately that would be slightly better design imo

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

obviously its because you’ll be able to pass cyril’s skill on to his descendants in the eugenics dlc

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I'd rather they just remove cyril from the game because his character sucks rear end

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Sydin posted:

I made Cyril a Wyvern Lord and by the end of the game he was easily a Top 5 unit in terms of stats, and a Top 3 in actually being useful because flying.
I don't think anyone said he's bad. I'm saying it's really weird to tout his ability as aptitude when in truth he barely has better growths than most of the cast. It really gives the wrong idea. If they didn't want to give you a unit with megagrowths, why did they put aptitude in the game in the first place?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

yep it's happened I'm full animu now. although i will not be using "waifu" because i've been calling Dorothea "bae" for my whole first run, so we're sticking with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

That's good, only bad people use waifu