Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yes, we actually don't have anything appropriate for punch and that sounds neat, I'll check Walmart thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
As far as punch serving devices. Walmart has got it down. Giant mason jars with spigots or the one I bought.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Buddeez-1-75-Gallon-Party-Clear-Beverage-Dispenser/52203166

This is what I have.The middle part had a groove in there for cups also! An all in one type of deal. What really sold me was the ice core and ice base for keeping things cool with no dilution. Plus for less then $15 bucks that's a steal. They have all glass ones and more visually appealing ones, but the function of this one really caught my eye.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Dilution isn't always a bad thing, and you might want to pre-dilute some drinks if you know that they're going into a vessel that chills without dilution.

Also, World Market had like an 80% off sale on November 1st last year, so now I've got this guy for spoopy punch

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm glad I didn't buy a lovely gimmick vodka just to get a novelty bottle; now you can get skull bottles all over the place.

I'm glad your station was a success. It seems to me like CL/whiskey-and-coke would be tricky, since people vary wildly in what proportions they want.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Toast Museum posted:

Dilution isn't always a bad thing, and you might want to pre-dilute some drinks if you know that they're going into a vessel that chills without dilution.

Also, World Market had like an 80% off sale on November 1st last year, so now I've got this guy for spoopy punch

Well yeah, of course! I'm just saying for other things not booze related. The option is nice.

drat, I need me some skull beverage dispensers :mad:! What's a good Halloween drink? Incredible Hulks? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :doggo:

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm glad I didn't buy a lovely gimmick vodka just to get a novelty bottle; now you can get skull bottles all over the place.

I'm glad your station was a success. It seems to me like CL/whiskey-and-coke would be tricky, since people vary wildly in what proportions they want.

Thanks! Getting a ratio that everyone will like is tricky. Best bet it really just to make the batch the way you think will go over well for the majority of people and to have any left over booze be available for anyone who wants to top off. Though, personally, I'd hide the bottle and continually make fun of anyone who needs more booze in their booze. I have a buddy who would make Jack N Cokes by pouring a full solo cup of Jack with ice and a splash of coke...:barf:

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 26, 2019

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Rum and Coke, Whiskey and Coke are so classic but so bad. Coca-Cola is a terrible mixer.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

:wrong: all highballs are good

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Comb Your Beard posted:

Rum and Coke, Whiskey and Coke are so classic but so bad. Coca-Cola is a terrible mixer.

You'd rather I use R/C!? Like a peasant!

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 29, 2019

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I'm going to Las Vegas for a few days. Are there any bars I should try to visit while I'm there?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Toast Museum posted:

I'm going to Las Vegas for a few days. Are there any bars I should try to visit while I'm there?

I usually go to Rhumbar when I'm in Vegas, if you can sit outside it's a beautiful experience of being semi-secluded right off the strip. The cocktails aren't terrible either, though it's not a place I'd recommend directly for the quality.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Toast Museum posted:

Herbs & Rye

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Toast Museum posted:

Toast Museum posted:

The Golden Tiki

Strip house at PHW has an amazing barrel aged old fashioned also.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I made orgeat from a 1:1:1 base of pumpkin seed, almond, cashew. Honestly straining it was terrible, I used an old undershirt. Didn't someone on here say that nut milk bags are the best strainers out there for various projects?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Comb Your Beard posted:

I made orgeat from a 1:1:1 base of pumpkin seed, almond, cashew. Honestly straining it was terrible, I used an old undershirt. Didn't someone on here say that nut milk bags are the best strainers out there for various projects?

Yeah, they are.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

https://www.modernistpantry.com/sup...JsaAtZxEALw_wcB

These are the best large scale strainers there are amigos

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Fart Car '97 posted:

https://www.modernistpantry.com/sup...JsaAtZxEALw_wcB

These are the best large scale strainers there are amigos

I've advocated for nut milk strainers itt before, but I kinda hoped the "modernist" site you were linking to was a centrifuge :v:

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Comb Your Beard posted:

Plenty of goons squeeze their nut milk out into their sweaty old clothes. You, however, felt the need to post about it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

prayer group posted:

Plenty of goons squeeze their nut milk

New thread title.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Use a sock like everyone else!

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Scythe posted:

(Drink recipe I posted in 2018 using Lo-Fi's weird sweet vermouth)

I accidentally bought this weird-rear end vermouth again because I was at the hipster liquor store (well, one of them, I live in Brooklyn) and thought "I'm out of sweet vermouth" and I didn't remember how it totally doesn't work in a Manhattan etc. until after I got home.

At least I found a better drink this time: I've been drinking a bunch of mezcal this summer and the vermouth's weird rhubarb/cocoa/vanilla flavors totally work with that, even better than the scotch I was using last time.

I'm particularly enjoying it in a mezcal negroni variant with Ramazzotti as the amaro. Traditional 1:1:1 ratio, stirred, rocks, orange peel if you've got it. It's pretty great, try it if you've got the ingredients!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Scythe posted:

(well, one of them, I live in Brooklyn)

At this point I just do most of my liquor shopping through Fresh Direct or when I'm visiting family in NJ. Every liquor store seems to be high end hipster or encased in bullet proof glass - I don't remember the last time I saw something inbetween.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Why not hit up a bevmo or something along the likes?

*I'm from California. I can buy all levels of liqour from any liquor store really.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Is Amaro di Angostura worth getting? I always keep the big bottles of the bitters on hand and love them but it seems a bit redundant.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Amaro di Angostura rules. It’s more barky and spicy than the bitters. I like having both around, especially for ango bango shots (half Amaro di Angostura, half whatever spirit, usually rum).

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

Comb Your Beard posted:

Is Amaro di Angostura worth getting? I always keep the big bottles of the bitters on hand and love them but it seems a bit redundant.

It might be too good? I liked it so much I put it in everything I made for like the first ~1/2 bottle, now I'm sick of it.

I'm not saying don't get it this is just a cautionary tale.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Anybody like Luxardo Triplum Triple Sec? I use Giffards but I’m looking for something of similar quality but cheaper.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Why not hit up a bevmo or something along the likes?

*I'm from California. I can buy all levels of liqour from any liquor store really.

Even in east coast states that aren't state control (pa, va, etc.) liquor laws are just weird.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
VA is state control for liquor and it sucks rear end

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Honestly a bummer. I feel for you guys. Not having access to booze or having that weird "no alcohol sales on sunday" thing must be awful.

How do you even have brunch?!

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The Maestro posted:

Anybody like Luxardo Triplum Triple Sec? I use Giffards but I’m looking for something of similar quality but cheaper.

It's a very standard triple-sec.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Actually in the less godly parts of Virginia the ABC stores are open Sunday. I work in DC so I shop at both, just depends what I'm trying to get. ABC store will dependably have way more bourbon brands than I need.

Regret buying Batavia Arrack van Oosten. This stuff is just bad. Going to eek out the bottle overtime putting little bits in my rum blends. Trying to come up with my perfect personal Mai Tai rum blend.

Coolest bottle I got recently is Plantation O.F.T.D. rum. I could drink it over ice despite the high proof.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
At first, it was only a couple stores in Richmond that were open on Sundays, but that's expanded drastically. Even my little local store in a town of 1,200 is open until 6pm on Sundays now.

Edit: The problem with these smaller stores in VA is that they're weird about what they have and don't have. There will always be an entire wall of whiskey and an entire wall of vodka, and they'll be really spotty when it comes to rum and everything else.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 23, 2019

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Comb Your Beard posted:

Actually in the less godly parts of Virginia the ABC stores are open Sunday. I work in DC so I shop at both, just depends what I'm trying to get. ABC store will dependably have way more bourbon brands than I need.

Regret buying Batavia Arrack van Oosten. This stuff is just bad. Going to eek out the bottle overtime putting little bits in my rum blends. Trying to come up with my perfect personal Mai Tai rum blend.

Coolest bottle I got recently is Plantation O.F.T.D. rum. I could drink it over ice despite the high proof.

Van Oosten is a very traditional arrack and it's best used as a modifier in a punch or a fruity cocktail. It brings some great flavors under the heat and weirdness but it's not something you drink on its own.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Fart Car '97 posted:

Van Oosten is a very traditional arrack and it's best used as a modifier in a punch or a fruity cocktail. It brings some great flavors under the heat and weirdness but it's not something you drink on its own.

You’d make a real lovely pirate, friendo. :yarr:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
This may be heresy, but is there any way to buy bottled lemon peel oil? There are a few drinks I really enjoy that call for a squeeze of lemon *peel*, but I drink them rarely enough that I don't always have a lemon on hand to peel. I can substitute a few drops of lemon juice but it's not the same.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
You can, but even the ones that aren't essential oils are generally marketed as cosmetics. I wouldn't drink that.

I think you would be best off making your own limoncello and using that. I make mine with zest, so the result is far from bottled Lemon Drop.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Maybe a dumb question but would lemon extract work in the smaller quantities you're talking about?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I'd search for food grade lemon oil. It's not particularly cheap. If it's anything like this cinnamon oil I have though, a little goes a long way.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ben Nevis posted:

I'd search for food grade lemon oil. It's not particularly cheap. If it's anything like this cinnamon oil I have though, a little goes a long way.

Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/Boyajian-Lem...618438571&psc=1

Looks like it'll do the trick. Thanks, problem solved.

(The cocktail in question is the Susquehanna. The squeeze of lemon peel makes the drink bloom).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/Boyajian-Lem...618438571&psc=1

Looks like it'll do the trick. Thanks, problem solved.

(The cocktail in question is the Susquehanna. The squeeze of lemon peel makes the drink bloom).

You're probably going to want to dilute the oil down before using it in a drink. We use a lot of food grade oils here and they're extremely potent.