Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm kind of surprised you haven't tried to get a floater captive, since their research bonus is really nice.

e: you know this is a pretty good example of why I hate the capture chance lowering they did. It's so insanely dangerous and you have to do a ton of setup to get a capture but it can just fail because gently caress you.

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm aslo sorta surprised you didn't do the Muton autopsy given how often they seem to be targets of capture

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

JerryLee posted:

That rocket, lmao
<rocket doesn't hit anywhere in the targeting reticle's area>
"good effort."

FG sounds like a second grader's soccer coach after one of his players scores an own goal.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Given everything else they've done with the game, I'm surprised they didn't add a critical fail chance, where your solder just picks up and fires the bazooka backwards or their gun just explodes in their face.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Crazy Achmed posted:

Given everything else they've done with the game, I'm surprised they didn't add a critical fail chance, where your solder just picks up and fires the bazooka backwards or their gun just explodes in their face.

They actually removed that. The way rockets worked in vanilla was that you'd have an 85% (I think?) chance of your rocket landing PRECISELY where you wanted it to.

And a 15% chance it'd just kinda do whatever, including but not limited to pivoting 180 degrees and blowing up all your own teammates.

Long War is much more fair and realistic--even a misfire is based off of the target area, with the distance from your target being determined by a normal distribution (i.e., ~68% of your rockets will detonate within 1 SD of your target area, 95% within 2, etc.)

FairGame fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Aug 12, 2019

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

The opening to that mission was way too tense. "Here, have a cyberdisk before you can act. Also, all your cover is too far away to even dash to." Way to untangle that knot, FairGame.

Also, congrats Grapplejack on your promotion!

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I do like how it's 300 space bucks to figure out how to promote people to major. For those resources you can build a supersonic air superiority fighter, a powerful addition to the base, equip a squad of soldiers with gear more advanced than anyone on Earth can conceive. Or you can pay to learn the arcane secret of pinning an oak leaf on a tunic.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Tuxedo Ted posted:

The opening to that mission was way too tense. "Here, have a cyberdisk before you can act. Also, all your cover is too far away to even dash to." Way to untangle that knot, FairGame.

Also, congrats Grapplejack on your promotion!

I'm getting promoted faster than I can walk across a battlefield!

E: slightly spoilers but I wonder if fairgame is going to build / use the Walker servos when those come up. They always seemed a little underpowered, imo.

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 12, 2019

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

FairGame posted:

They actually removed that. The way rockets worked in vanilla was that you'd have an 85% (I think?) chance of your rocket landing PRECISELY where you wanted it to.

And a 15% chance it'd just kinda do whatever, including but not limited to pivoting 180 degrees and blowing up all your own teammates.

Long War is much more fair and realistic--even a misfire is based off of the target area, with the distance from your target being determined by a normal distribution (i.e., ~68% of your rockets will detonate within 1 SD of your target area, 95% within 2, etc.)

90% accuracy. i think i was on the verge of ragequitting a campaign where I got it to miss 3 times in a row in different missions. I learned to wean myself off of rockets.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Grapplejack posted:

I'm getting promoted faster than I can walk across a battlefield!

You do literally everything faster than you can walk across a battlefield. They're gonna have to cart you across the stage out of impatience when your medal is presented.

FairGame posted:

It's really funny to me that for all the insane bullshit they put into their mod there was still a part of vanilla where they just looked at it and said no, that's too unfair.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

e: by the way, we're about two weeks of IRL posting away from when I'm going to have some silent videos. Do we want to try and get commentary or do stuff in post, or should we just slam through 'em and I'll write some thoughts?

Dancer
May 23, 2011

FairGame posted:

e: by the way, we're about two weeks of IRL posting away from when I'm going to have some silent videos. Do we want to try and get commentary or do stuff in post, or should we just slam through 'em and I'll write some thoughts?

I think you're the more competent judge here. I guess "ideal" would be you curate out any video that's just "another succesful mission without particularly interesting tactical decisions" (not that there's ever any mission that you truly can't lose) and do the "good ones" in post (with or without partners).

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FairGame posted:

Ugh, I hate when I'm posting back to back. What can I do to generate a bit more participation here? I know people are watching (or perhaps the same person is watching several dozen times as they plot my death), but surely there's something I can do to encourage more discussion. Ideas?

Hello from the past! Started the LP about 2-3 weeks ago and have not been reading ahead to avoid spoilers. I don't know if you ever solved this issue -- but this is the only watchable LW LP I've ever seen and I've been enjoying it a ton. Hope others are feeling the same.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

There's something soothing like a Bob Ross video where you're calmly saying "well there's a few berserkers, that's okay, we've got a shredder rocket for them," and then things click into place and it works out like magic. (Or conversely the troopers :xcom: it up and gently caress a reasonable plan and people start dying.) A few happy flashbangs and this tactical sitch is right as rain. No mistakes, just happy pod activations. There would be something missing on a silent video, I think.

Also :woop: master sergeant. Time to miss even more 95% shots!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I don't mind the silence, even if the subtitles for the videos could be amazingly wrong.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

kw0134 posted:

There's something soothing like a Bob Ross video where you're calmly saying "well there's a few berserkers, that's okay, we've got a shredder rocket for them," and then things click into place and it works out like magic. (Or conversely the troopers :xcom: it up and gently caress a reasonable plan and people start dying.) A few happy flashbangs and this tactical sitch is right as rain. No mistakes, just happy pod activations. There would be something missing on a silent video, I think.

Also :woop: master sergeant. Time to miss even more 95% shots!

"Now, we're just gonna add in... a happy little HE grenade over here. Just right there. Yeah. Just blow up that cover nice and good. Mm. Just like that."

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Fairgame before this month: we're out of the fatigue spiral
Glad to see that turned out well.

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat
:xcom:

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013
Activating the outsider pod first is my favorite poo poo, just let the waves of enemies crash upon the Overwatch then hunt down the stragglers. Just don't try it on a landed supply barge.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Phimose Knight posted:

Activating the outsider pod first is my favorite poo poo, just let the waves of enemies crash upon the Overwatch then hunt down the stragglers. Just don't try it on a landed supply barge.

One of the upcoming (for a given definition of upcoming; it'll still be a while yet) silent videos is me trying this on a landed supply barge.

Late game XCOM Long War is largely a battle of keeping your impatience and hubris in check. Which works GREAT when you're not feeling well and just want things to end.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

FairGame posted:

One of the upcoming (for a given definition of upcoming; it'll still be a while yet) silent videos is me trying this on a landed supply barge.

Late game XCOM Long War is largely a battle of keeping your impatience and hubris in check. Which works GREAT when you're not feeling well and just want things to end.

Obligatory regular reminder that life is a thing that, like, matters, and in the future we, the clamoring masses, will find it in our hearts to forgive you if the LP slows down or takes a break :v: .

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Dancer posted:

Obligatory regular reminder that life is a thing that, like, matters, and in the future we, the clamoring masses, will find it in our hearts to forgive you if the LP slows down or takes a break :v: .

In this particular instance, it's me getting annoyed with the game, not being exhausted from vocal-related issues (though that IS a thing and I wish it weren't). But thanks :)

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I bet the surgeon had a fun time dissecting a drone.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Scalding Coffee posted:

We are going to send all our drones after Trevor Bauer because you know that dipshit would join EXALT while screaming about spin rate or whatever

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

In XCOM 2 they get around that by having Tygan go "well once I finish cutting this thing open I'm just going to have shen come down and look at it" for the mechanical units.

Kaishai
Nov 3, 2010

Scoffing at modernity.
All that being godawful was a clever long-term strategy on my part; you'll see. Now that I'm the only human useless enough to be outside of the fatigue spiral, it's my time to shine! :black101:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Like a phoenix rising from the ashes, I will be sent back to the ICU for third degree burns.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Grapplejack posted:

In XCOM 2 they get around that by having Tygan go "well once I finish cutting this thing open I'm just going to have shen come down and look at it" for the mechanical units.

And he completely follows through on that. If you look at the completed files for mechanical unit autopsies you'll find they're actually all written up by Shen. The turret breakdown is fun, she apparently had to be talked down from trying to turn an Advent Turret back on to see how its targeting functions worked in real time.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Like a phoenix rising from the ashes, I will be sent back to the ICU for third degree burns.

Here's hoping :allears:. When Coffee is in their Bed, all is right with the world.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

I always just assumed it was Shen in the suit getting his inner Vahlen on.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Kaishai posted:

All that being godawful was a clever long-term strategy on my part; you'll see. Now that I'm the only human useless enough to be outside of the fatigue spiral, it's my time to shine! :black101:

Amen, brother/sister. Pretty sure I got clicked on accidentally for that mission before, thought "this is my chance!" and then, well, :widowsnypa:

Actually the rash of awful shots last time has me worried, didn't someone say something about laser weapons having a bonus to accuracy? Meaning that everyone's going to get a little worse at aiming once we upgrade to gauss?

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Wow this month really stretched human resources to the limit huh?

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I am on the edge of my seat for this next mission. Will Scalding Coffee avoid another month long break from missions? I must find out!

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I lost track of all the abilities, why did Gavin get two shots on that thin man at the start?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I am on the edge of my seat for this next mission. Will Scalding Coffee avoid another month long break from missions? I must find out!
I was sure that had the mechtoid not been disabled, it would have painted a car in my color.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Man sending Coffee on a mission I was leading made me nervous but it turned out OK in the end. I realize now that my Defense is garbage and that's why people keep taking shots at me, even if it's not the best move they could do.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
"I want to take this one alive..."

*shoots thin man with a heavy laser rifle that estimates killing the thin man in one hit, kills thin man in one hit*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Scalding Coffee posted:

I was sure that had the mechtoid not been disabled, it would have painted a car in my color.
the month's young, give it time