Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

RVWinkle posted:

That's a brilliant idea! I remember researching controller support last year and I thought it wasn't possible, at least on a phone.

It's not natively possible, as far as I can tell. But the emulator I'm using lets you select any part of the screen, and assign a keyboard control to mimic touching that part. If you have a supported gamepad, you can use that instead. It works well enough for walking around and poking at stuff, but with how the menus and battles are laid out, controls would unfortunately start overlapping, so I haven't found an effective way to get everything keyboard or controller. It works well enough though.

I'm using Bluestacks, since I'm too lazy to do research and it's what a friend recommended, but any decent Droid emulator should have at least keyboard control supported, if not controller. I'm using an 8Bitdo SN30 Pro, which my computer registers as a 360 controller, which seems to be the most commonly supported.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Is there a particular reason why the jerks on island 2 won't build a blueprint for me? I threw everything into a crate and all.

Also I wish I had paid attention to that tooltip before doing all of the first layer of the tree by hand on island 1..

e: is it only at certain base levels or for the big projects or something? That's kind of a pain

My understanding is that on the story islands, they'll only build the big story-related projects, which sort of makes sense since the conceit of the story islands is that you're kind of teaching the island's inhabitants about the glory of building so they have to choose to do it as part of the story.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
Despite that fact I've spent at least 25 hours playing DQB2, having just wrapped up Furrowfield I appreciate I'm still early in the campaign. Nevertheless, right now this is my game of the year. A new franchise entry I was very much looking forward to, that *didn't* disappoint (Trials Rising :argh:), and that has greatly expanded the scope of what this kind of builder/rpg hybrid can be.

I've played a fair few of the 'Minecraft + <X>' hybrid-games, looking for something that had the resource and building stuff, but with a structure more appealing to me, and DQB (particularly 2, from what I've so far seen) just *crushes* it. And everything about how Furrowfield wrapped up was wholesome as all get-out :3:

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

magimix posted:

Despite that fact I've spent at least 25 hours playing DQB2, having just wrapped up Furrowfield I appreciate I'm still early in the campaign. Nevertheless, right now this is my game of the year. A new franchise entry I was very much looking forward to, that *didn't* disappoint (Trials Rising :argh:), and that has greatly expanded the scope of what this kind of builder/rpg hybrid can be.

I've played a fair few of the 'Minecraft + <X>' hybrid-games, looking for something that had the resource and building stuff, but with a structure more appealing to me, and DQB (particularly 2, from what I've so far seen) just *crushes* it. And everything about how Furrowfield wrapped up was wholesome as all get-out :3:

Same.

I am progressing through the game at a snails pace because it is just so drat fun to just chill and....build. It's adult legos (or Lego for you proper type). I absolutely LOVE this game to death.

edit:
\/\/\/
https://painintheenglish.com/case/4639

Professor of Cats fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 9, 2019

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
LEGO, actually. All caps. Spelled the same singular and plural. And if your MOCs aren’t SNOT then you don’t deserve to call yourself an AFOL.
:actually:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Do I have to harvest and cook stuff myself? I mean I know there's a kitchen, but they don't seem to cook if I don't put ingredients in the chest, and villagers seem to like eating the food that ends up in there. As far as I can tell, crops are finite and seeds are rare, so wouldn't letting the villagers do this just eventually leave me with bare fields and empty chests?

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Argue posted:

Do I have to harvest and cook stuff myself? I mean I know there's a kitchen, but they don't seem to cook if I don't put ingredients in the chest, and villagers seem to like eating the food that ends up in there. As far as I can tell, crops are finite and seeds are rare, so wouldn't letting the villagers do this just eventually leave me with bare fields and empty chests?

Seeds aren't too hard to find once you get a few of the explorer islands as they have crops to find & you can use the hammer on them to get the seeds. Some of the npc types do cook - I think the nuns do or at least I've seen them do it. Possibly others job types but I'm not sure. I don't know how often the crop can be harvested per seed but I know some of my initial paddocks on IOA are still producing & I haven't had to source replacement seeds for most of them yet. I have seeds to spare due to grabbing them any time I'm on the explorer islands for other stuff.

edit: anyone know what a 'fright bulb' is used for?

Tambaloneus fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Aug 10, 2019

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Typhoon in town so I binged DQB2 all day and man does the later part of this game start going places.

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug
Inspired by an earlier post in this thread, here's the work-in-progress currently bankrupting my kingdom:

Waterwheels trigger the flame traps.

It's a little hard to see but I added flame breath too. Hated that mountain so I removed it. My helpful assistant T.Wall the golem got a workout.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Perfect

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I'm really enjoying this game, but Malroth won't put on the loincloth.

Rianlee
Jan 15, 2009
Pillbug

Argue posted:

Villagers in green farm, while villagers in red cook. Also, if villagers do the harvesting, the crops regrow indefinitely. If you harvest it via your weapon, you may lose the seed, but still get the crop. If you hammer it down, you won't lose the seed, so you can replant it.

I still ferry the crops over to the kitchen chest though.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's cool that a villagers' job is revealed by their colour scheme but I set up a changing room so they're all in swimsuits or armour or fancy tuxedos.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Question:
I'm near the end; should I keep building? Or finish then come back and build? I wanna finish my castle.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Professor of Cats posted:

Question:
I'm near the end; should I keep building? Or finish then come back and build? I wanna finish my castle.

Finish then come back and build because even more options and islands will open to you, wish we had a date for the DLC outside of Japan.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I want to make a multi story building, but before I do that, will I be able to see what's going on in the room I'm currently in without having to go to first person mode? I'm envisioning that this feature would detect that I'm in a room--which the game definitely does--and fade out all blocks above me accordingly. Does this happen? Or am I doomed to never build a roof over my head, and never build the high rise of my dreams?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's the second one

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

As far as I can tell, the game doesn’t really officially support multistory rooms. If it does, it’s by accident, cause it just assumes everything is the minimum 2-high no-roof structure the villages have.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

As ppl have said if you make the walls of the room higher than the minimum 2 blocks the camera copes quite a lot better with multi-story buildings even with roofs. I do all mine with at least 4 high or higher & it seems to cope fine if a little cramped. All you need is for the things you want recognised in that room to be within the 2 lower block area, with anything higher up 'decorative' only. This includes lights if you use the chandelier type light - if you needed a light source in the room you'll need a lower one somewhere.

The camera seems to have 3 modes, the above mode, an over the shoulder mode inside & the 1st person mode, perhaps there's a quicker way to switch to the over the shoulder mode that might also help? Maybe going to 1st person mode then out while inside does it? I haven't tested.

I do wonder if it's possible to increase the field of view in 1st person mode so it's more like minecraft?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

if you click in the right stick or maybe the left stick and then move the other stick you can adjust the camera distance, might help

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It's disappointing that there's nothing hiding outside the main island in the isle of awakening. I flew the buggy buggy all the way around and there's a lot of just empty open ocean.

However, I did find a hidden chapel to hargon. There's a cave west-south-west of the mountain peak under the water. I think you need the sledgehammer to break apart the iron bars, but inside is a bunch of citadel themed pieces and a hidden room with more citadel pieces in it. Good spot to get the build a room in a low location goal.

Also, if you decide to explore under the water deep in the ocean, there is a bare ocean floor but it goes completely dark. There's a hidden monster out there too. It's a merman. But he hits pretty hard! I'm kinda curious because with end game gear it seems beatable, the only major drawback is that it's in the water. I might try experimenting with an arena, since I can drag it from the deep ocean to the shore.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Freakazoid_ posted:

It's disappointing that there's nothing hiding outside the main island in the isle of awakening. I flew the buggy buggy all the way around and there's a lot of just empty open ocean.

However, I did find a hidden chapel to hargon. There's a cave west-south-west of the mountain peak under the water. I think you need the sledgehammer to break apart the iron bars, but inside is a bunch of citadel themed pieces and a hidden room with more citadel pieces in it. Good spot to get the build a room in a low location goal.

Also, if you decide to explore under the water deep in the ocean, there is a bare ocean floor but it goes completely dark. There's a hidden monster out there too. It's a merman. But he hits pretty hard! I'm kinda curious because with end game gear it seems beatable, the only major drawback is that it's in the water. I might try experimenting with an arena, since I can drag it from the deep ocean to the shore.

I'll admit that I was a little disappointed the first time I saw the water monster that comes up when you wander out too far. I always feel like any game with a deep ocean you're not meant to be in should bring in some sort of horrible leviathan that comes up from the depths to chase and eat you. When the message that a terrible monster was coming popped up, I got my hopes up for something from the Dragon Quest series in this style (like a Tentacular maybe).

Or maybe that's just me and my primal fear of giant creatures in the water.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
That merman spawns anywhere when you’re in deep water that the game doesn’t want you to be in. I ran into it on Furrowfield.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Britney rules, she got the ant before it woke me up too.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

wish they bothered optimizing DQB2 at all for the switch, especially since DQB ran fine, but oh well it's not like the game is unplayable or anything

Argue posted:

I want to make a multi story building, but before I do that, will I be able to see what's going on in the room I'm currently in without having to go to first person mode? I'm envisioning that this feature would detect that I'm in a room--which the game definitely does--and fade out all blocks above me accordingly. Does this happen? Or am I doomed to never build a roof over my head, and never build the high rise of my dreams?

the limited space available in story missions more-or-less assures that all of my bases are intricate and ridiculous box forts(because I like giving every named citizen a private room), don't let your dreams of a giant eyesore box blighting the landscape be dreams

the camera DOES slowly zoom in real close when you're in an enclosed area but you'll have to go 1st person to see what's going on with any kind of speed

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Only just noticed in Dragon's Quest 11, when you get back to Cobblestone, you're probably too focused to turn the camera around but if you do you'll see that there's a barrier of light right through the gate, just a step before you actually cross it. I think that's neat.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Yinlock posted:

the limited space available in story missions more-or-less assures that all of my bases are intricate and ridiculous box forts(because I like giving every named citizen a private room), don't let your dreams of a giant eyesore box blighting the landscape be dreams

I'm the opposite. I build tightly packed barracks for my villagers and roll my eyes every time an NPC asks to have a room of their own. "Oh look who's a little primadonna that doesn't want to smell someone else's stinky feet when they go to bed every night. FIIINE ugh."

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Hokuto posted:

I'm the opposite. I build tightly packed barracks for my villagers and roll my eyes every time an NPC asks to have a room of their own. "Oh look who's a little primadonna that doesn't want to smell someone else's stinky feet when they go to bed every night. FIIINE ugh."

particularly whiny npcs get a tiny private room above the toilet

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Yinlock posted:

particularly whiny npcs get a tiny private room above the toilet

Above? How kind.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I dug down and built a dungeon/jail cell under the pyramid for that creepy Gollum woman to sleep in. She insists on crawling out of there to sleep elsewhere though...

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

I'm in the process of completing the game but when I am done, I can still come back and complete the pyramid and castle, right?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I dug down and built a dungeon/jail cell under the pyramid for that creepy Gollum woman to sleep in. She insists on crawling out of there to sleep elsewhere though...

Did you put up a nameplate and assign the room to her?

renzollama
Jul 16, 2017

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I never did her quest which led to many hilarious moments in the story (especially in the last act of the game) where some epic / wholesome dialogue is occurring while gollum lady lurks in the background with `cAn It bRiNgS uS A mErChAnT fOR tHe ShOPPy`

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Wait there's a optional boss in the ocean?

I have a serious, serious fear of water in games so I'm morbidly curious but also extremely nervous now :v:

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Wait there's a optional boss in the ocean?

I have a serious, serious fear of water in games so I'm morbidly curious but also extremely nervous now :v:

Doesn’t really need spoilering since it appears anywhere you swim out too far, even at the very beginning.

It’s a merman enemy that is just really, really strong and can create whirlpools to pull you back in. It’s the game’s way of keeping you away from vast empty areas of the water. It starts to appear as soon as you go over any dark blue water on the map (where it just keeps going down until the camera would go dark). You get a message warning that a terrible enemy is approaching.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Above? How kind.

have you tried to drop a deuce while some jackass is yelling about the lack of flowerpots

it's not easy i assure you

e: though speaking of poo I never imagined I would covet night soil as much as I do

i'm like some kind of poo bandit constantly raiding toilets for worm food materials

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

so question: is there any way to get my farmers to fill their buckets at the reservoir i built for them instead of journeying to the heart of the amazon rainforest to collect only the freshest morning dew

i built a big old pond in the middle of town you assholes, stop parkouring over my walls to reach the ant-filled river

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

YggiDee posted:

Did you put up a nameplate and assign the room to her?

Of course! That's how you know it's hers.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Yinlock posted:

i built a big old pond in the middle of town you assholes, stop parkouring over my walls to reach the ant-filled river

Got a good chuckle from this, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010
Without giving away too much, are each of the islands as long and self-contained as Furrowfield?

I just finished the part where you go back and start work on your main island. I have a bunch of optional objectives that I'd like to work on after making the Meadows and and the waterfall, but I'd also like to check out the new island. Does the game encourage you to go back to the main island, or an I going to go off and do ~10 hours on the new island before returning?