Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

AceOfFlames posted:

Genuine question: how can you have time in a "mostly agrarian society"? Isn't farming some of the most intensive labor imaginable?

No. People in ye olden days had free time before industrialisation.

In feudal societies you'd do backbreaking labour like ploughing fields. But outside of peak times like harvest and planting seasons your probably working an awful lot fewer hours than you or I would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

Despite his lack of self insight, AceOfFlames seems to be in a rough spot and maybe lay off the dogpile? Everyone is usually so accepting, itt, of people with various mental ailements and yet because he's being non-compliant, which I admit isn't helpful, it appears the knives are out.

Bold play mate let's see how it works out

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

In feudal societies you'd do backbreaking labour like ploughing fields. But outside of peak times like harvest and planting seasons your probably working an awful lot fewer hours than you or I would.

20 hours a week apparently

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

AceOfFlames posted:

Genuine question: how can you have time in a "mostly agrarian society"? Isn't farming some of the most intensive labor imaginable? There's a reason why one of my biggest nightmares about the future is the beginning of Interstellar and that is essentially mankind's BEST case scenario at this point.

Peoples free time has plummeted enormously since the industrial revolution.

[e] Fuccck you guys are quick.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also again you don't have to go back to hitting the ground with a stick because you stopped making loving apps. Even in addition to literally watching the grass grow being part of the job of farming, you can still keep things that actually benefit people like actual labour saving devices, and employ them to actually save people loving labour rather than to maximise production at the expense of everything else.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I'm pretty sure you can still build combine harvesters without every other part of international capitalism.

The Global Village Construction Set is pretty cool.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

OwlFancier posted:

Thinking technology has the potential to be useful to humans is not remotely the same thing as "we must always be 'progressing'" because that is the mindset of capitalism. No we mustn't always progress, technological and productive progress without a social foundation is exactly what got us where we are today. A perfectly static world is infinitely preferable to one where everyone gets killed by dickheads shouting PROGRESS as they wipe out most of the earth's biosphere and population.

Ignoring everything that came after I actually think there is a really interesting question in here - can humans as a race function well without striving?

Fiction focusing on static societies almost always portrays it as a negative. If you take a strictly darwinian view species instinct is to multiply and dominate their environment. Christianity would encourage good stewardship of our resources but the first page of the Bible says: "God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.” I'm aware that other scientific perspectives, philosophies and belief systems will differ but the thought doesn't come from nowhere.

Midlife seems to mellow most people's desire to achieve, perhaps if we all sleep in isolation tanks until we're 40.

Someone needs to write a long paper about it no-one in power will read.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

OwlFancier posted:

Also again you don't have to go back to hitting the ground with a stick because you stopped making loving apps.
It's probably because I'm horrendously sleep deprived but I heard this in a proper cockney geezer accent and it's hilarious to me.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Zalakwe posted:

Ignoring everything that came after I actually think there is a really interesting question in here - can humans as a race function well without striving?

Fiction focusing on static societies almost always portrays it as a negative. If you take a strictly darwinian view species instinct is to multiply and dominate their environment. Christianity would encourage good stewardship of our resources but the first page of the Bible says: "God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.” I'm aware that other scientific perspectives, philosophies and belief systems will differ but the thought doesn't come from nowhere.

Midlife seems to mellow most people's desire to achieve, perhaps if we all sleep in isolation tanks until we're 40.

I do agree society really reinforces the notion that if you're not advancing, you're a loser. My own parent especially keep telling me "with brains like yours, you could be at the very top if only you applied yourself! You're as smart or smarter than all your colleagues and they are all jumping ahead!"

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

OwlFancier posted:

How many people alive today work in farming? And how many people are fed by that labour? Even with how much of it is wasted producing inefficient foods.

If you took people off of the billions of pointless jobs and shared their time out between things that actually need doing, everyone could have a lot more time.

Yeah but they'd be no new games to play in our free time so whats the point? We'd all just be stuck with an old version of farmville or something.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

OwlFancier posted:

Of course, my idea of a static world is probably some kind of mostly agrarian society without rulers, not necessarily one that doesn't have technology but which probably doesn't have a lot of the things we have today, like mass use of aircraft, ships, cars etc, no global economy, because it's somehow managed to create a durable disinterest in them, belieiving that they just do more harm than good, that they demand more of people than they give.

And clearly that wouldn't actually be "static" as such because as you say, things change, but certainly I think it would be much slower and generally not interested in just making all the numbers go up, more speed, more power, more money etc. More concerned with ensuring that people have good housing, secure food supplies, health, peace and most importantly, time. And I would hope that those ideas could endure as long as possible, through at least some changes. Nothing lasts forever, naturally, but some things I hope would last longer than others.

And technology is certainly important in those respects but so much of what we have now is just loving pointless, it's either just to make some dickhead more money or it's to fill a hole made by some other dickhead in search of money. I don't mourn the loss of things that don't need to exist in the first place.
Your description doesn't really fit a "mostly agrarian" society. You don't have good housing and health without an industrial society.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I like the idea of Holodecks and that machine thing where you can get any food or drink you want.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Zalakwe posted:

I would suggest that the rejection of that idea is in some respects the core of anti hierarchical thought.

I can't say I have any desire to strive in that respect, nor have I ever, really. I probably had it beaten out of me fairly young given that I spent most of my youth praying for death in my sleep, but I don't think it's a necessary thing. And even if it is a thing you want, there are other outlets. Mastery of a skill I think is a good one, as previously noted. There are avenues of improvement that don't rely on taking things, there are challenges that do not involve conquest.

I think it depends on the fiction. Certainly YA fiction doesn't like stasis but that's probably got a lot to do with the target demographic. But lots of fiction takes place within a static society. Hell even some very good scifi does that. The Culture is nothing if not stable, it's kind of their thing, in fact, that they haven't all sublimed, and it poses the question of what if people get bored, but it also seems to answer it with "most people don't, and when they do, they choose to die"

The society as a whole is not shown as needing to strive or advance, that can all take place on the individual level.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Your description doesn't really fit a "mostly agrarian" society. You don't have good housing and health without an industrial society.

I mean like a society where probably the majority of the output is based around agriculture and things related to it, rather than all the other poo poo we use industry for. There probably isn't a particularly good word for it cos obviously there's never been such a society because industry came hand in hand with capitalism and it spread everywhere and ever since we've been in an ever increasing race to see what can be produced and how fast.

I'm also, honestly, prepared to accept worse healthcare, because I think we'd need less of it without the damage that current society does to our bodies and minds, and because we wouldn't be waiting until "retirement" before we can do anything we enjoy. I'd be happier dying young if I had a youth worth living, rather than pissing it all away for the benefit of some rich prick so I can die in a nice dementia home.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 13, 2019

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Zalakwe posted:

Fiction focusing on static societies almost always portrays it as a negative.

lol I was about to say read Iain M Banks for a good example of fiction that portrays both the negatives and positives of a static society. Then I saw your username :downs:

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Pilchenstein posted:

It's probably because I'm horrendously sleep deprived but I heard this in a proper cockney geezer accent and it's hilarious to me.

*Jason Statham voice* listen sunshine, if I don't stop making apps and start hitting the ground with a stick, my heart's going to explode

Failed Imagineer posted:

Fota Wildlife Park in Cork used to have free range lemurs when I was a kid but the stupid bastards kept getting crushed by the train that brought you there
noooooooooooooo but that's also really funny and i feel bad for laughing

CGI Stardust fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 13, 2019

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

bump_fn posted:

ive never seen big bang theory but are the white male scientists in it sex pests cause if not then its not really very accurate

They are, and it's played for laughs.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

The Deleter posted:

Also I really have to question why they think the only two options with regards to technology and advancement are a) current state where inhuman tech billionaires pick and choose where the resources go or b) the first ten turns of Civ 6.

it is easier to imagine the end of the world than it is the end of capitalism

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I'm pretty sure you can still build combine harvesters without every other part of international capitalism.
:belarus:

forkboy84 posted:

Plus in a feudal society a big chunk of your surplus is spent in tithes to the aristocracy and church so they don't have to farm, or furnishing XXX to L feral hommes to their armies or whatever. A more equitable agrarian (or techno-agrarian or whatever) society would have less of that.

It is, but things like that, the Open Building Institute, Public Labs and so on always suffer from a lack of time and organization, and often a lack of direct participation from the people who would most benefit. And the root cause of that, as in Russell's Idleness, is a lack of equitable distribution of free time.

A more equitable society could produce a lot more stuff like that.

Zalakwe posted:

That's a good question, and many philosophers, especially the absurdists/existentialists and the pessimists have written a lot about whether we can ever be content. Opinions vary, but they usually say that only the very mentally well (like Hindu rishis) or very mentally unwell (like people with major depression) can do without any. Of course you can strive for all different things.

Bakunin even says that we could try instilling in everyone a desire to strive to reduce injustices where they arrive, the communal society will not be a static one.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

CoolCab posted:

Certainly if you can't do socialization. To me the end of capitalism is the relationships I have with my peers, but extended to the whole world. It's pretty easy to imagine honestly.

The joys of alienation.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

AceOfFlames posted:

I do agree society really reinforces the notion that if you're not advancing, you're a loser. My own parent especially keep telling me "with brains like yours, you could be at the very top if only you applied yourself! You're as smart or smarter than all your colleagues and they are all jumping ahead!"

My parents tell me that and I'm averagely thick as well.

CoolCab posted:

I love the book but its accuracy depresses me

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

StarkingBarfish posted:

lol I was about to say read Iain M Banks for a good example of fiction that portrays both the negatives and positives of a static society. Then I saw your username :downs:
It's Zakalwe... Imagine misspelling that!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I mean like a society where probably the majority of the output is based around agriculture and things related to it, rather than all the other poo poo we use industry for. There probably isn't a particularly good word for it cos obviously there's never been such a society because industry came hand in hand with capitalism and it spread everywhere and ever since we've been in an ever increasing race to see what can be produced and how fast.
This kinda sounds like you've just fallen in love with an aesthetic, rather than thinking through the requirements of your ideal society. Like, what does "no global economy" mean to your desire to have good housing and health? Even though the global economy is a scourge upon the world in a non-sustainable for-profit industrial society, that doesn't mean it has to be in a sustainable for-welfare industrial society. The former optimizes for profitability, without a care for the misery it causes, while the latter could be optimized for global welfare.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Spuckuk posted:

I love the book but its accuracy depresses me

Have you read any of Peter Fleming's stuff? It's in the same vein, although slightly easier reading

Death of Homo Economicus
The Worst is Yet To Come - A Postcapitalist Survival Guide

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This kinda sounds like you've just fallen in love with an aesthetic, rather than thinking through the requirements of your ideal society. Like, what does "no global economy" mean to your desire to have good housing and health? Even though the global economy is a scourge upon the world in a non-sustainable for-profit industrial society, that doesn't mean it has to be in a sustainable for-welfare industrial society. The former optimizes for profitability, without a care for the misery it causes, while the latter could be optimized for global welfare.

Because I am skeptical of human ability to actually organize on a large scale in such a way as to promote welfare, and so my solution is generally to suggest reducing the scale of society.

Which, obviously, I don't suggest immediately because you would have to dismantle the societies that would take that as an opportunity for conquest first. But the desired end goal, I think, should be to shrink the scale of society to one that is more immediate to people, because I think it's easier for people to be less rigidly hierarchical on a small scale, when the hierarchy isn't a thing that exists on a scale far beyond them. I think that scale promotes hierarchy and vice versa.

It might, of course, be possible to find a way to make such a scale of organization work but I am doubtful of it, and I don't think it's necessarily required either to give people good lives. And if you were to pursue such a thing I would rather pursue it from that starting position, rather than from our current one. I would rather see the current harmful system destroyed and abandoned as part of the scouring of the ideas it represents, than see people try to repurpose it immediately, because I don't have confidence in their ability to succeed.

I think you can make sure everyone has a solid roof over their head and access to basic medical care without needing a global economy that is so abstracted from everyone as to be very open to abuse.

I dunno if this is what you call municipalism but guavanaut probably does.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 13, 2019

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Jose posted:

is this you admitting you're a sex pest?

rude

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Hi UKMT, I'm hoping someone here can help cause I have nowhere else to ask. My Youtube front page has gone from looking like this:

To this hideous monstrosity:

Please can somebody advise how to fix? I've not done anything to change any settings.

e: And the first one of you to make a 'stop watching wrestling vids' joke can do one :mad:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Are you complaining about the layout or the fact that it now has a lot of wrestling videos on it because I don't think you will like the solution to the latter :v:

E: Hahahah!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Dead Goon posted:

I like the idea of Holodecks and that machine thing where you can get any food or drink you want.
No you don't, the star trek thread just realised it's all made of poop.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Hell even some very good scifi does that. The Culture is nothing if not stable, it's kind of their thing, in fact, that they haven't all sublimed, and it poses the question of what if people get bored, but it also seems to answer it with "most people don't, and when they do, they choose to die"

StarkingBarfish posted:

Flayer posted:

It's Zakalwe... Imagine misspelling that!

Zalakwe posted:

Fiction focusing on static societies almost always portrays it as a negative.

Banks fans itt I need your help/honest opinions. Because the Culture novels come up not infrequently in the thread (and because I enjoyed The Wasp Factory and some M. Banks short stories when I read them years ago) I figured I'd give Consider Phlebas a shot. And after about 3/4s of the way through it's....ok, I guess? Given the love the series gets I feel like I'm missing something. Is it worth persevering with, or is it more likely just not my thing if I'm kinda cool on the first one?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

OwlFancier posted:

Are you complaining about the layout or the fact that it now has a lot of wrestling videos on it because I don't think you will like the solution to the latter :v:

E: Hahahah!

Ha de ha ha. Yes, the layout stinks. Instead of seeing 10 vids at once on my laptop I can see 3 and the ones underneath my recs have no decent form of curation.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Rarity posted:

Hi UKMT, I'm hoping someone here can help cause I have nowhere else to ask. My Youtube front page has gone from looking like this:

To this hideous monstrosity:

Please can somebody advise how to fix? I've not done anything to change any settings.

e: And the first one of you to make a 'stop watching wrestling vids' joke can do one :mad:

mine isn't like that, but there's a button in the ... which says "restore old youtube", maybe you've got one too?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rarity posted:

Ha de ha ha. Yes, the layout stinks. Instead of seeing 10 vids at once on my laptop I can see 3 and the ones underneath my recs have no decent form of curation.

I actually never use the front page but mine still seems to be sorted by category, at least. Though it loads like two rows of them rather than the one.

It's possible youtube just updated it or something, they like doing that.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Skip to player of games, it's less of a slog compared to consider phlebas

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

[Professor Farnsworth Voice]

Good News Everyone! Dominic Raab has been to Canada to speak with the Canadian equivalent of the Foreign Secretary!

[/Farnsworth]

https://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/canadas-brexit-talks-with-the-u-k-there-are-none/

(Freeland mentioned here is the Canadian Foreign Sec):

quote:

Raab was asked to compare the Canada-EU trade deal, CETA, with a hypothetical post-Brexit Canada-U.K. trade deal. “There are all sorts of opportunities for the future,” he said. “We’re talking about some of those issues right now.” Could he produce a third consecutive sentence with as little information as the first two? You bet he could. “I think the number one priority for the U.K. is just to have as seamless a transition as possible and we’re going to be working closely together to try and achieve that.”

What struck me later was that Freeland had not said a word about Canada-U.K. relations after Brexit, as such. Nothing. I checked this hunch with her office, and they were quick to confirm and to send the transcript from which I’ve been quoting.

Her silence, abetted by Canadian reporters who needed fresh clips on top-line stories so they had no time to ask about Freeland’s guest, permitted her to decorously avoid saying out loud what Raab knows well: That formal talks between Canadian and British officials over a post-Brexit trading arrangement ground to a halt weeks ago. In the event of a no-deal Brexit, Britain will offer radically reduced tariffs to all comers. Canadian officials, reasonably, decided there’s no need to offer concessions in return for what would be essentially automatic access to the U.K. market.

Nor did she have to add that last year, Canada was the 17th global destination for U.K. exports; that four of the top five destinations, and seven of the top 10, are EU member states; that exports to those EU destinations total nearly $180 billion, while exports to Canada stand at $7.3 billion; and that increased market access for Canada would hardly compensate for chaotic reductions in access to the far vaster, nearer European market.

Oh.... oh gently caress.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Because I am skeptical of human ability to actually organize on a large scale in such a way as to promote welfare, and so my solution is generally to suggest reducing the scale of society.

Which, obviously, I don't suggest immediately because you would have to dismantle the societies that would take that as an opportunity for conquest first. But the desired end goal, I think, should be to shrink the scale of society to one that is more immediate to people, because I think it's easier for people to be less rigidly hierarchical on a small scale, when the hierarchy isn't a thing that exists on a scale far beyond them. I think that scale promotes hierarchy and vice versa.

It might, of course, be possible to find a way to make such a scale of organization work but I am doubtful of it, and I don't think it's necessarily required either to give people good lives. And if you were to pursue such a thing I would rather pursue it from that starting position, rather than from our current one. I would rather see the current harmful system destroyed and abandoned as part of the scouring of the ideas it represents, than see people try to repurpose it immediately, because I don't have confidence in their ability to succeed.

I think you can make sure everyone has a solid roof over their head and access to basic medical care without needing a global economy that is so abstracted from everyone as to be very open to abuse.

I dunno if this is what you call municipalism but guavanaut probably does.
OK. You pretty much can't have none-poo poo housing/healthcare without large scale organizing though, unless you have an AI acting as a benevolent god. Without large scale organization, you can't have the specialization required to maintain anything close to modern healthcare, or modern levels of housing. Politically, I'm not sure you could impose the ideological stasis required to not have some of these smaller societies start doing empire all over the place either, given that you have no large scale organization capable of even noticing and responding to it. To me, it sounds like finally defeating capitalism, then giving it another chance to arise out of the historical processes that produced it in the first place.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Niric posted:

Banks fans itt I need your help/honest opinions. Because the Culture novels come up not infrequently in the thread (and because I enjoyed The Wasp Factory and some M. Banks short stories when I read them years ago) I figured I'd give Consider Phlebas a shot. And after about 3/4s of the way through it's....ok, I guess? Given the love the series gets I feel like I'm missing something. Is it worth persevering with, or is it more likely just not my thing if I'm kinda cool on the first one?

Phlebas is... not entirely like the other ones. Though I also don't enormously enjoy them and haven't finished the books I own. I think the player of games is in some ways a better story and most people recommend that to start with.

As a whole though it's a little... I think it's probably hit or miss with a lot of people.

When I read them I would probably describe them as having an almost psychadelic quality to it. The books are full of these descriptions of and allusions to extremely weird and fantastical concepts. And his style is such that while he describes some of it, a lot of it is just mentioned in passing, and it gives a sense of a place that exists and that the author is familiar with and which you are just sort of passing through. It's beautiful in its way, but also a bit melancholy, like watching a whole world through the window of a speeding train.

If I were to recommend it I would do so for that reason. They're pretty books. I'm not really gripped by the story but they produce quite profound imagery when you read them, or at least they do for me, but given that I am not the sort for mind affecting experiences I don't entirely enjoy that but I can see how people would.

They remind me a little bit of Lord Dunsany, whether or not that's a compliment or not I don't know. Also quite a bit of the writing in Caves of Qud, again the same dreamlike, trippy quality to it, though Banks is much more coherent.

Iain Banks is LSD for people who like space and don't have actual LSD, I guess is my review.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Note to self: drink mescaline in a shed then read Excession

EDIT: Scratch that, read The Bridge.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
If I was rich I'd have a pet raccoon. How many rich people do you know with pet raccoons? None. Money is wasted on them. Having a pet raccoon might be the only thing that saves them from the guillotine.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I got about half way through excession, i think, before I got bored and stopped. Read phlebas and the player of games, I will still say he's a good writer but I would be lying if I said I found him easy to read or necessarily enjoyable in the way I do others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, Player of Games isn’t the first Culture book, but it’s probably the best introduction. Consider Phlebas is more of a straight sci-fi adventure and only really tangentially related to The Culture (who are weirdly the antagonists).