Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

one thing im confused about is why johnny wouldnt be more famous before the race

i mean he won the kentucky derby thats a p big deal

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Zyla posted:

one thing im confused about is why johnny wouldnt be more famous before the race

i mean he won the kentucky derby thats a p big deal
He last raced over 2 years ago. And he has been a crippled since them. So yeah, they should remember him but he has been a washed up horse racer for years.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Aug 13, 2019

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

BaDandy posted:

I love how so much happens in just the first volume alone that we have completely glossed over the Tiny Horses.

When he said miniature horses, I was expecting ponies.

Not MINIATURE horses.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Okay finished volume 1. I hope Johnny gets that leg looked at, and I hope Avdol's camel is okay.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Guys, guys, guys...wait for it...wait for it...

Spin is stored in the balls.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

When he said miniature horses, I was expecting ponies.

Not MINIATURE horses.

Rereading this has made those horses haunt me. It's definitely one of those one-off things that sets the tone, like SBR is a period piece but it's also not quite set in the same reality as ours, but like. Are they toys? Or are they specially bred to be very very tiny horses? It doesn't really matter...but I want one so bad.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

BaDandy posted:

Rereading this has made those horses haunt me. It's definitely one of those one-off things that sets the tone, like SBR is a period piece but it's also not quite set in the same reality as ours, but like. Are they toys? Or are they specially bred to be very very tiny horses? It doesn't really matter...but I want one so bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iXshc_gfk4

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Yes but are they THIS tiny???

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

BaDandy posted:

Yes but are they THIS tiny???

:hmmyes:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the stand user E. John used his stand, 「TINY DANCER」 on those horses

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
lmao i forgot one dude was into autoerotic asphyxiation.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

My baby don't mess around
'Cause she loves me so
This I know fo sho!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

would you believe me if i told you that's not even the gayest volume cover between johnny and gyro

there's one that's notorious and drew negative attention because of it, iirc

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

would you believe me if i told you that's not even the gayest volume cover between johnny and gyro

:allears:

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

would there be an interest in collating together the various music references araki has used at least for the major players/stand battles?

i figure some folks here might not have the galaxy brain for music i do and miss some of it

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't think anyone would be against it, just keep in mind that things like youtube videos of songs/whatever will have a decent chance of having jojo nerds in the comments saying poo poo if anyone plans to link any of those. it's a good idea not to read comments and to maybe avoid looking at related videos.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Gyro's design and everything he says and does expresses this kind of strength, bravado, like he's just going to wing it or do take the road everyone thinks is a bad idea because he has the strength to take whatever his decisions bring him up against. And with the extremely versatile power of the spin, he seems to have no weaknesses. Does he even know fear?
Johnny's face and his outfit just radiate this kind of vulnerability - not fragility, vulnerability - that is unusual in a male character. It's not just the pastels they're usually drawn with, but the material. But Johnny he is unquestionably strong both physically and in will. We have already seen Johnny go through heartbreak but he's still fighting.
It's interesting that the two are bonding so early. Gyro's really gung ho about finishing this race and he could just see Johnny as a liability. Johnny is a competitor in this race, another person to protect if he sticks around, does not have the spin, is a paraplegic and cannot really defend himself yet. We know why Johnny needs Gyro, but it really does seem like Gyro just is letting Johnny follow him because he likes him.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Gyro's design and everything he says and does expresses this kind of strength, bravado, like he's just going to wing it or do take the road everyone thinks is a bad idea because he has the strength to take whatever his decisions bring him up against. And with the extremely versatile power of the spin, he seems to have no weaknesses. Does he even know fear?
Johnny's face and his outfit just radiate this kind of vulnerability - not fragility, vulnerability - that is unusual in a male character. It's not just the pastels they're usually drawn with, but the material. But Johnny he is unquestionably strong both physically and in will. We have already seen Johnny go through heartbreak but he's still fighting.
It's interesting that the two are bonding so early. Gyro's really gung ho about finishing this race and he could just see Johnny as a liability. Johnny is a competitor in this race, another person to protect if he sticks around, does not have the spin, is a paraplegic and cannot really defend himself yet. We know why Johnny needs Gyro, but it really does seem like Gyro just is letting Johnny follow him because he likes him.

johnny is really, really hot tho

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Gyro’s character development over the course of the part is A+, and leads to arguably one of the best stand battles in all of Jojo’s

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Still reading this week's section, but I'm very interested in what people think of our leads so far. There's obviously an element of mentor/mentee, but also the way they talk to each other is very dumb and casual.

I also love the part where Johnny does the "Go on without me!" bit, only for Gyro to go "Yeah, I'll go on my own.....right in the direction of the enemy!!!!'

dancingbears posted:

Could someone explain how Mrs Robinson gets taken down to me? It seems that Gyro's steel balls attack the ground, and then somehow the force hits Mrs Robinson without damaging his horse? I think? Is it just a part of the spin, that it can 'spin around' targets? Is it a reference to Will Zeppeli punching a frog? I'm not sure I understand how Mrs Robinson is "synced with the vibrations of the revolutions", or even what exactly happens to him. It looks like he was hit by a bunch of cactus needles, maybe? Or did the steel balls hit him a bunch?
From what I can tell, Gyro's steel balls kept spinning and moving after they hit the ground, and the chollas picked up that vibration from the ground, considered it a threat and fired off all their needles

You can see here that Mrs. Robinson hit the balls to drop them in front of them, and then it looks like they've spun around and circled behind him and so every cholla near Robinson goes off, like how Robinson themself uses projectiles to get the chollas to fire where he wants them too.

Mrs. Robinson is a weird, weird fight

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Yeah, that makes more sense than my initial takes. Thank you for your insight! :tipshat:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

mrs. robinson is definitely sort of like an alternate take on the weird zombie/vampire fights in part 1, i feel. like you have weirdos such as jack the ripper or whoever who do some zany bullshit but otherwise don't have special powers. funnily enough given how the setting is slightly 'pared down' compared to parts 3-6 mrs. robinson still manages to be dangerous for a bit despite not having weird powers.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
God if I didn't play All Star Battle, I would have no idea how to visualize Johnny getting on and off his horse, it's so weird

I'm trying to see if Araki ever slips up and draw Johnny standing or somewhere he shouldn'tve been able to get to in a small amount of time

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Expect My Mom posted:

God if I didn't play All Star Battle, I would have no idea how to visualize Johnny getting on and off his horse, it's so weird

I'm trying to see if Araki ever slips up and draw Johnny standing or somewhere he shouldn'tve been able to get to in a small amount of time

i feel like this is the true biggest obstacle to a steel ball run anime

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah animating johnny actually moving and also the literally three thousand horses make me completely understand if they decide not to animate this stuff

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm not sure how I feel about Johnny right now. Him being alt-Jonathan had me expecting something in the same "noble and heroic" vein as Jonathan...but seeing as Johnny being a conceited prick is what got him hurt in the first place, I find it hard to be super sympathetic. There's even a later line where he says something like "I didn't even want to see that show anyway, and I got hurt in a stupid accident" that makes me think that he's got an issue with accepting responsibility for his fuckups. I'm hoping that leads to some character development for him

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

on the flipside we might get some hilarious low-budget animation for certain moves where it looks like they're just clicking and dragging a jpeg of johnny onto the horse

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

jivjov posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about Johnny right now. Him being alt-Jonathan had me expecting something in the same "noble and heroic" vein as Jonathan...but seeing as Johnny being a conceited prick is what got him hurt in the first place, I find it hard to be super sympathetic. There's even a later line where he says something like "I didn't even want to see that show anyway, and I got hurt in a stupid accident" that makes me think that he's got an issue with accepting responsibility for his fuckups. I'm hoping that leads to some character development for him

would you believe me if i told you that johnny has some of the outright best character development in the series

i mean i'm sure i look/sound biased here but i don't think many who have read part 7 would disagree with me independent of whether or not they enjoy him a lot as a whole

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Johnny Joestar posted:

on the flipside we might get some hilarious low-budget animation for certain moves where it looks like they're just clicking and dragging a jpeg of johnny onto the horse
Gutswalkingaway.gif except its Johnny getting on to his horse.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

jivjov posted:

this is a totally fair read so far! Araki is totally playing on what we expect a JoJo From The 1800's Is Like and is swerving the reader with a more realistic teenager (Johnny is like 19?) who is determined and all, but maybe not the best dude. I'm glad to hear this

Comparing Jonathan to Johnny just physically is amazing, this giant huge hero come to life, and then this tiny, frail pretty boy.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Zyla posted:

would there be an interest in collating together the various music references araki has used at least for the major players/stand battles?

i figure some folks here might not have the galaxy brain for music i do and miss some of it

I’ve been lazy-making a Spotify playlist for SBR (in that I haven’t been very rigorous about it at all), so it’d be appreciated!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Johnny is filled with DETERMINATION.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It'll be a running gag where every time Johnny has to get on a horse, Gyro will be like 'look at this cool bug!' and the camera is distracted with insect facts.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Johnny and Gyro get proper, big satisfying character arcs through the entire part. Like, they become almost completely different people over the course of the race, and we get a lot of views into their inner workings, and how they view and relate to the world.

You guys I loving love Steel Ball Run.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mountain Tim is a cowboy, so he has short range abilities.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
that's a cowboy fact!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Guns? Lasso? What is that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Expect My Mom posted:

Comparing Jonathan to Johnny just physically is amazing, this giant huge hero come to life, and then this tiny, frail pretty boy.

How much of this is Johnny being actually more svelte, and how much of it is the art style change since part 1? Cause seeing the flashback to Jotaro and Polnareff in Part 5 is hilarious due to how scrawny they are compared to their original art

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

at most johnny registers as a twunk. he's not physically impressive to a level you see with earlier jojos. he probably sits between twink and twunk on the scale. basically every depiction has him being one of the slimmer jojos in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Johnny Joestar posted:

Negative attention? Where?!

But yeah I like having this JoJo be very different from Jonathan instead of rebooting back to the same mold. And it's not even departing from the heroic ideal in the same way Joseph did, either. Johnny is a more realistic kind of an rear end in a top hat.