Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ShredsYouSay posted:

Skip to player of games, it's less of a slog compared to consider phlebas

Then don't read any of the others.

E: 100 - the number of £ that will buy €100 by the end of this month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If none of you have read the fortress unvanquishable save for sacnoth by the way I do recommend it, it's :catdrugs:

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Sword_of_Welleran_and_Other_Stories/The_Fortress_Unvanquishable,_Save_for_Sacnoth

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Niric posted:

Banks fans itt I need your help/honest opinions. Because the Culture novels come up not infrequently in the thread (and because I enjoyed The Wasp Factory and some M. Banks short stories when I read them years ago) I figured I'd give Consider Phlebas a shot. And after about 3/4s of the way through it's....ok, I guess? Given the love the series gets I feel like I'm missing something. Is it worth persevering with, or is it more likely just not my thing if I'm kinda cool on the first one?

Consider Phlebas is generally regarded as the worst. you can tell it’s an early effort. “ok I guess” is a fair review.
The Player of Games is a much better intro. But personally I’d recommend Excession and Use of Weapons as my favourites.

Also it’s not really a series - the novels don’t follow each other as sequels* - it’s just a shared background universe. you can read any of them in any order.

* if you feel the need to be pedantic about certain shared characters in later novels, don’t cos that’s a spoiler :P

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
is The City and the City worth reading? I feel like I've seen both a) recommendations for it and b) stories about de Mieville being an absolute poo poo of a person

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Julio Cruz posted:

is The City and the City worth reading? I feel like I've seen both a) recommendations for it and b) stories about de Mieville being an absolute poo poo of a person

It's pretty good, but Embassytown was better imo. Still haven't watched the BBC adaptation of C&C from last year which has been sitting on my DVR

C&C easily ruined by spoilers tho

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Julio Cruz posted:

What did Mieville do?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I dunno if this is what you call municipalism but guavanaut probably does.
I guess so. It has the main theme there, that social order is conducted at the scale of a municipality where at best you can walk or at worst you can get a small bus journey and be at the town hall and be involved with something civic, and things like the utilities and welfare are managed at the municipal level, but also so is the land and means of production.

It's not a million miles away from the old municipal corporations except with more active participation from the corporation owners (which is the common people within each municipal area under non-poo poo systems, and probably some earl or redpillbro under the inevitable "what if X but poo poo" models).

There's no requirement for this to be agrarian, or techno-agrarian, or have municipal autarky, but Bookchin was a big environmentalist and eco-type, so his ideal wouldn't be a sprawling megacity but more like a civic, health, welfare and transport hub surrounded by city farms.

Which reminds me, I still need to read The Right To The City, which is 100% free at the moment.

WhatEvil posted:

Oh.... oh gently caress.
lmao raab

Julio Cruz posted:

Both are true.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's pretty good, but Embassytown was better imo. Still haven't watched the BBC adaptation of C&C from last year which has been sitting on my DVR

C&C easily ruined by spoilers tho

I really wasn't wild about the ending of the BBC version for reasons.

I gather Mieville to be some sort of sex pest but I never got details beyond that.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Necrothatcher posted:

What did Mieville do?

I can't remember any actual details, it's just an impression I have that I've read bad things about him somewhere on here at some point

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lookit

quote:

Then spake Leothric, son of the Lord Lorendiac, and twenty years old was he: "Good Master, what of the sword Sacnoth?"

And the village magician answered: "Fair Lord, no such sword as yet is wrought, for it lies as yet in the hide of Tharagavverug, protecting his spine."

Then said Leothric: "Who is Tharagavverug, and where may he be encountered?"

And the magician of Allathurion answered: "He is the dragon-crocodile who haunts the Northern marshes and ravages the homesteads by their marge. And the hide of his back is of steel, and his under parts are of iron; but along the midst of his back, over his spine, there lies a narrow strip of unearthly steel. This strip of steel is Sacnoth, and it may be neither cleft nor molten, and there is nothing in the world that may avail to break it, nor even leave a scratch upon its surface. It is of the length of a good sword, and of the breadth thereof. Shouldst thou prevail against Tharagavverug, his hide may be melted away from Sacnoth in a furnace; but there is only one thing that may sharpen Sacnoth's edge, and this is one of Tharagavverug's own steel eyes; and the other eye thou must fasten to Sacnoth's hilt, and it will watch for thee. But it is a hard task to vanquish Tharagavverug, for no sword can pierce his hide; his back cannot be broken, and he can neither burn nor drown. In one way only can Tharagavverug die, and that is by starving."

Then sorrow fell upon Leothric, but the magician spoke on:

"If a man drive Tharagavverug away from his food with a stick for three days, he will starve on the third day at sunset. And though he is not vulnerable, yet in one spot he may take hurt, for his nose is only of lead. A sword would merely lay bare the uncleavable bronze beneath, but if his nose be smitten constantly with a stick he will always recoil from the pain, and thus may Tharagavverug, to left and right, be driven away from his food."

"So to get your magic sword you have to punch a metal dragon crocodile in the nose until it starves to death and then glue one eye to its spine and use the other to sharpen it, have fun."

Dunsany was on some very good drugs.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

e; ^ Someone needs to mod that into Skyrim

Had a dream about an old school friend so I decided to look her up, and after dredging her surname up I found her. Not only is her third pic on her front FB a famous terf shibboleth, "Woman: Noun: Adult human female" she's even wearing a shirt emblazoned with same in her actual profile pic. It's been liked by a different old school friend, too!

So that's left a sour taste lmao.

Cerv posted:

The Player of Games is a much better intro. But personally I’d recommend Excession and Use of Weapons as my favourites.

Hell yeah Cerv with the good book opinions! :respek:

OwlFancier posted:

Also quite a bit of the writing in Caves of Qud, again the same dreamlike, trippy quality to it, though Banks is much more coherent.

Now I want to see Saad Amus The Sky-Bear equipped with Culture tech and absolutely wrecking everything :getin:

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 13, 2019

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Necrothatcher posted:

What did Mieville do?

More on the "really poo poo dickhead (abusive?) boyfriend" end of the spectrum than "sex grabber" IIRC

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Thanks or.enagaging responses all. I've been ready more philosophy recently - or I should say more books about philosophy - and feel many miss a trick in that regard. Certainly many in the church (which I imagine I have more experience of than the vast majority here) do.

It's been interesting to see push back against consumerism become more widespread recently, and counter moves against that. If we're to do it successfully, and save the plane etc I think we need to radically redefine contentment, or at least tackle the idea you can buy it.

Cerv posted:

This, start with the Player of Games then graduate.

Julio Cruz posted:

is The City and the City worth reading?

Yes.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 13, 2019

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

It's certainly an impressive feat to be the stupidest Foreign Secretary ever given the field (especially since 2010) but dammit he's made it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

Now I want to see Saad Amus The Sky-Bear equipped with Culture tech and absolutely wrecking everything :getin:

With enough ego I'm pretty sure light manipulation becomes gridfire.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Niric posted:

Banks fans itt I need your help/honest opinions. Because the Culture novels come up not infrequently in the thread (and because I enjoyed The Wasp Factory and some M. Banks short stories when I read them years ago) I figured I'd give Consider Phlebas a shot. And after about 3/4s of the way through it's....ok, I guess? Given the love the series gets I feel like I'm missing something. Is it worth persevering with, or is it more likely just not my thing if I'm kinda cool on the first one?

you don't need to read them chronologically so go with player of games or excession. iirc phlebas was his first book so i don't think he quit hit his rhythm.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Failed Imagineer posted:

More on the "really poo poo dickhead (abusive?) boyfriend" end of the spectrum than "sex grabber" IIRC

Eh, I can deal with him being a poo poo boyfriend as long as there's nothing worse than that. Are there any specific allegations about his behaviour?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Not abusive, per se - it was more that he had a very different idea of what their relationship was compared to what she thought it was (he thought it was open, she didn't), and when the conflict became apparent, he handled it like a big ol' jerk. So he's not outright cancelled, but also not someone you really want to date.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

It's this -

http://bidisha-online.blogspot.com/2012/12/emotional-violence-and-social-power.html

On the one hand sounds like he's a lovely boyfriend, on the other hand she seems to be trying reeeeal hard to equate 'being a lovely boyfriend' with actual rape and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

AceOfFlames posted:

I do agree society really reinforces the notion that if you're not advancing, you're a loser. My own parent especially keep telling me "with brains like yours, you could be at the very top if only you applied yourself! You're as smart or smarter than all your colleagues and they are all jumping ahead!"

I got a lot of that too.
I also value being alive. Seen several former colleagues drop dead either on their way to work or within weeks of retirement sometimes before their pension lump sums even dropped into their bank accounts. I'll take my decision not to play that game anymore and consequent miniscule pension over that.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Offa's Dyke trip report, day three

Overall trip 9/10. Long day from the Hunters Moon Inn to Hay-on-Wye, hoofed about 32km in under 8 hours and feeling pretty proud. Black mountains are super amazing, with view halfway through the UK and the Welsh countryside on the other side. Really good path with slabs in the right places so we don't disturb the moorland vegetation. Also lots of half wild ponies.
Weather: 9/10, perfect wind and temperature for walkies and pants dry as a bone.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Cerv posted:

Also it’s not really a series - the novels don’t follow each other as sequels* - it’s just a shared background universe. you can read any of them in any order.

While I agree I would caveat that Inversions is not really as enjoyable read without being familiar with the other books.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/13/tom-watson-urges-labour-to-work-with-liberal-democrats

I was just thinking we hadn't heard from the twatson in a while

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Cerv posted:

Consider Phlebas is generally regarded as the worst. you can tell it’s an early effort. “ok I guess” is a fair review.

* if you feel the need to be pedantic about certain shared characters in later novels, don’t cos that’s a spoiler :P

Look to Windward is also amazing. I'd say those are the top 3. Matter and Surface Detail are a bit looked down upon I find but I really enjoyed them too, they've got some really cool concepts in them.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

feedmegin posted:

It's this -

http://bidisha-online.blogspot.com/2012/12/emotional-violence-and-social-power.html

On the one hand sounds like he's a lovely boyfriend, on the other hand she seems to be trying reeeeal hard to equate 'being a lovely boyfriend' with actual rape and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that.

After reading that I can clearly see she's in pain and deeply miserable, but I still can't tell what Mieville actually did. I'm guessing he was sleeping with other women behind her back?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

ah yes its labour who are the problem here

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guess he figures his involvement in Operation Midland has blown over.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
:chloe:

https://twitter.com/marcus44/status/1161320184185012224

There are actually people out there who think like this? :wtc:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Necrothatcher posted:

After reading that I can clearly see she's in pain and deeply miserable, but I still can't tell what Mieville actually did. I'm guessing he was sleeping with other women behind her back?

Or promising her a committed relationship in bad faith so he could get into her pants. But we only have her side of it from that and, yeah, she uses a lot of very florid language which i find kind of offensive to actual abuse survivors to...not actually lay out a clear grievance.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Julio Cruz posted:

It might be a good primer for when the EU extends the brexit deadline indefinitely, the Tories insist it doesn't count and we're not members anymore, and the UK becomes two parallel realities where everyone believes whichever version they want and ignores everything operating in the other reality

Irish border's gonna be wild though

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Niric posted:

Consider Phlebas is much more generic than his later stuff, he was finding his feet and the culture wasn't really that fleshed out. I'm a big fan of Excession just because the ship personalities really come into play. I'd be tempted to recommend that as a first read although others may disagree. Use of weapons is great in my opinion but some people don't like the way it is ordered (and the plot twist is dark as gently caress).

Non-culture, but I really liked the algebraist as well.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bardeh posted:

Into current affairs & politics, local, national & European.

Not economics evidently.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's certainly an impressive feat to be the stupidest Foreign Secretary ever given the field (especially since 2010) but dammit he's made it.
Lord Facepalmerston

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Computer, define "face like a smacked arse"

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've also read most of Consider Phlebas and not really gotten into it - although the cannibal island section was pretty cool. I should get around to finishing it.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

OwlFancier posted:

Dunsany was on some very good drugs.

Dunsany appears as a playable character in the series that would become the Shadow Hearts games, and I did a bit of research into him for a possible LP of the game - all of which ended up in The Dark Id's LP of it.

He's one of those interesting people where their own works are mostly forgotten, but influenced a ton of more famous people.

He also got shot in the head during the Easter Rising, but survived;

A bullet had ricochetted into his skull, and he required surgery to remove it. Unfortunately for him, while starting the surgery, the anaesthetic mask they were using was pressing down too hard on his face kept him conscious - and they only gave him more ether when he told them that he could hear every word they were saying.

Post Surgery posted:

A fair division was afterwards made, by which the doctors kept a piece of my skull, and I kept the bullet, which I have in a show case still.
---

Bardeh posted:

Cutting off my life support to spite myself.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Yeah, Player of Games isn’t the first Culture book, but it’s probably the best introduction. Consider Phlebas is more of a straight sci-fi adventure and only really tangentially related to The Culture (who are weirdly the antagonists).

I was very miffed with Player of Games because it ended with the revelation that all the thoughts and inner monologue of the eponymous character was made up by another character and so said nothing about the first character

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Bardeh posted:

I've also read most of Consider Phlebas and not really gotten into it - although the cannibal island section was pretty cool. I should get around to finishing it.

The final section is really really good, and the actual ending and epilogue is a drat masterstroke.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Bardeh posted:

hmm yes why is the thing that I pay thousands of pounds for better than the thing that's free

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

AceOfFlames posted:

I do agree society really reinforces the notion that if you're not advancing, you're a loser. My own parent especially keep telling me "with brains like yours, you could be at the very top if only you applied yourself! You're as smart or smarter than all your colleagues and they are all jumping ahead!"

I've lost count of the people who've told me similar poo poo in the past. They're right, I am smart, I took a Mensa IQ test because I wondered if I actually was smarter than average... but it doesn't loving matter. I could be "at the top" if I applied myself. I could have taken the path of my friend who did Maths at uni and now works for a hedge-fund making stupid amounts of money, or the path of my wife's friend who did CompSci and now works for google and makes stupid amounts of money... but it's not me. I wouldn't like it, and I just can't be arsed.

I'm at a point in my life where I could conceivably work like 30 hours a week and live a moderately comfortable life (with my wife working too) and if that were a reasonable option, I would, however all of the jobs you look at are "44 hours a week and must be willing to work overtime" and all that poo poo. Like yeah, it's for more money, but gently caress that, I don't want it. I've worked 80 hour weeks back-to-back before, I've worked 6 months with a total of about 8 days off, it loving sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

Computer, define "face like a smacked arse"

DID YOU MEAN: Face like a grieving onion?