Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

spit on my clit posted:

nah, gently caress rami ismail. guy's a loving piece of poo poo and annoying, too. like if my posts were unironic.

i meant how do you save inside the game

IIRC the game autosaves continuously, like Diablo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Khorne posted:

I don't want to know how the second gaiden is pronounced.

gye-DEEN

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Bisse posted:

Man this thread died fast after the demo came out

By the way, that ending spoiler is actually remarkably similar to the actual ending, just replace the BBall Rasengan with a Cyber Spear and add +1 boss battle.

Well what else is there to talk about now?

Kchama posted:

He'll go to bad for any other game dev no matter what they do.

Also the whole "lied for years (like two) about whether or nor Nuclear Throne was being worked on including claiming that it was Vita cert fault that Update 99 was endlessly late to be released for PC and stuff, and ended up just hiring some Nuclear Throne modders to actually put out Update 99 which was just a bug fix patch and then declared that the last update and the game finished despite being blatantly unfinished".

Say what you want about Gungeon gameplay, but they at least got the game to 1.0.

ETG seems pretty good now.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Wait, people had a problem with ETG's gameplay? I thought it was more or less universally loved.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
When it first came out it was ridiculously stingy with keys and ammo, so you hardly ever actually got to play with all the fancy guns.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I don't like the shooting in it, probably because I played nuclear throne first.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

gungeon is good, to me

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

ETG is cool but yeah the actual shooting lacks any kind of... snap to it

i don't know how to put it but it definitely feels just 'point toward enemy to kill' even when the guns are more involved

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I feel like ETG's gunplay's a bit more involved than NT's due to worrying about juggling passive reload and whatnot, whereas most of NT's guns are very straightforward.

Both of them have things I like and dislike, though. The levels in Gungeon are pretty boring compared to the layout of NT's rooms, for example.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
etg was pretty bad at launch because they tried too hard to cater to tryhards. Nuclear throne was challenging but super fast. In gungeon you'd spent 4 of the first 5 hours using your starter weapons

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Even with Advanced Gungeons & Draguns, Gungeon's enemies are enormous bullet sponges and very few of the guns actually feel good because of it.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Even with Advanced Gungeons & Draguns, Gungeon's enemies are enormous bullet sponges and very few of the guns actually feel good because of it.

Yeah every enemy in Gungeon just feels like they're made of bricks and is capable of absorbing a full mag from 70% of the guns in the game.

At what point does weapon variety become detrimental because Gungeon blew past it on launch with the vigor people usually associate with Kickstarter failure engines like Starbound and also Barkley 2

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i think i would like gungeon more if the ammo system wasn't... quite the way it was? i feel pressured to not use cool guns until i'm a good ways in. it'd be better to limit the number of guns i could hold and have ammo be something i got more readily

it's hampered by the parts of it that want to be a roguelike

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Patware posted:

i think i would like gungeon more if the ammo system wasn't... quite the way it was? i feel pressured to not use cool guns until i'm a good ways in. it'd be better to limit the number of guns i could hold and have ammo be something i got more readily

it's hampered by the parts of it that want to be a roguelike

That used to be the case, but after the Advanced Draguns update, ammo boxes drop quite more often and are more commonly found in stores. At this point, the game almost always ensures you'll at least have a gun by the time you get to the end of the first floor if you opened both chests. It's only with low-ammo count things like the RPG or Comm4ndo that you'll want to use in more pressing situations like bosses or big enemies. Some guns even have item synergies that have them slowly regenerate ammo (and will regenerate while you use a different gun)

At the very least if you have an item like the bottle, you can store an ammo box for later use.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I started playing when that update dropped and I still found it too boring to play for long

Reprogram Plus
Sep 24, 2007

Gungeon is great and Nuclear Throne is a buggy ugly turd.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
just took me eleven years to realize that zauber is a play on both the mispronunciation of saber and the german word zauberer, which means wizard.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

zauber is just the german word for magic

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

oddium posted:

zauber is just the german word for magic

but specifically represented as magical sabers that summon magical magic to defeat your regular, unmagicked enemies sounds like too much of a coincidence to me

the k in unmagicked is added to make it sound cooler btw

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the k does make it cooler because it stands for potassium which slaps

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
hell yeah, the best magick is found in banana zaubers

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

spit on my clit posted:

hell yeah, the best magick is found in banana zaubers

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Gulping Again posted:

Yeah every enemy in Gungeon just feels like they're made of bricks and is capable of absorbing a full mag from 70% of the guns in the game.

At what point does weapon variety become detrimental because Gungeon blew past it on launch with the vigor people usually associate with Kickstarter failure engines like Starbound and also Barkley 2
Weapon variety isnt detrimental in gungeon, I don't know what you mean by that. The game's entire patch history is the devs making it easier and easier to use a variety of weapons because that's such a large part of enjoying the game.

I still think marine, pilot, and convict should start with weapons that are fun like hunter and bullet do but gun variety is not a weakness of the game.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 15, 2019

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

enter the gungeon should start with launching nuclear throne and playing that instead

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

What if... Both games are good??????

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

They're both good, it's just a shame Gungeon is better.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

zitlover8183 posted:

Gungeon is great and Nuclear Throne is a buggy ugly turd.

I enjoyed Gungeon before but :chloe:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

oddium posted:

enter the gungeon should start with launching nuclear throne and playing that instead

but i like playing good games, why would i play screen shake: the game

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Screen shake haters are week

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
a fine amount of screen shake is ok

when shooting your tiny blap blap pistol causes a loving earthquake for the next three vlambeer games (if anyone can stand to work with rami), that aint fine

you also spelled "weak" wrong

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

spit on my clit posted:

a fine amount of screen shake is ok

when shooting your tiny blap blap pistol causes a loving earthquake for the next three vlambeer games (if anyone can stand to work with rami), that aint fine

you also spelled "weak" wrong

Your blowing it out of proportion

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pomp posted:

Your blowing it out of proportion

no, the game was blown out of its own proportion when i fired the gun and it shook so hard it ripped between reality and theality

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Nuclear Throne is fun and theirs nothing wrong with the screen shake, it just needs more content imo. I dropped it after clearing it a couple of times

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

morpheus is fighting neo

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's too bad there's no option to turn that screen shake off or anything

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pomp posted:

Nuclear Throne is fun and theirs nothing wrong with the screen shake, it just needs more content imo. I dropped it after clearing it a couple of times

enter the gungeon has a lot of content, the real problem is that the nuclear throne characters aren't also in gungeon

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It's too bad there's no option to turn that screen shake off or anything
cant you literally adjust it from 1 to 10 lol

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

spit on my clit posted:

enter the gungeon has a lot of content, the real problem is that the nuclear throne characters aren't also in gungeon

YV is

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

there is a shrine dedicated to him, yet he does not descend from the heavens to blap blap every dumbass bullet, shell, and ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
nuclear throne has some real issues(like how eventually melee weapons become actually mandatory if you go far enough, and how the game runs at 30 fps) but ETG is too drat slow and runs take too drat long. turbo mode is a bad band aid fix for this, it goes deep into how the game is designed.

every game like ETG should look at old shoot em ups for pacing. Cho Ren Sha 68k is a free game originally from 1995 and it feels better than literally every modern shooter roguelite