Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

KungFu Grip posted:

Is the AJPW Aoki Tribute show tomorrow morning or was it this morning

It was this morning, saw some photos in the photo thread on DVDVR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dragon Gate have put out the card for their next big show, Dangerous Gate 2019, which is happening on Saturday 24th August at the Ota City General Gymnasium and it looks like it'll be a fun show

1. “brother” YASSHI, Punch Tominaga, Problem Dragon, Martin Kirby, Hiroshi Yamato vs. Kagetora, Yosuke♡Santa Maria, Shachihoko Boy, Dragon Dia, Jimmy
2. Ryo Saito, Super Shisa, K-ness., Kenichiro Arai vs. Yasushi Kanda, Takashi Yoshida, Kazma Sakamoto, Diamante
3. Open the Triangle Gate Championship Match
Strong Machine J, Strong Machine F, Strong Machine G vs. Yuki Yoshioka, Hyo Watanabe, Kota Minoura
4. Naruki Doi, Kaito Ishida vs. Masaaki Mochizuki, Keisuke Okuda
5. 20th Anniversary Celebration Series Match vol.8
Ultimo Dragon, BxB Hulk, KAI vs. Masato Yoshino, Dragon Kid, Jason Lee
6. Susumu Yokosuka vs. Shun Skywalker
7. Open the Twin Gate Championship No Disqualification Match
Eita, Big R Shimizu vs. Kzy, Genki Horiguchi
8. Open the Dream Gate Championship Match
Ben-K vs. YAMATO

Slightly surprising that Susumu Yokosuka vs Shun Skywalker is going to be a non-title match but it should still be great, main event will be a banger, be fun to see Dragon Kid on the opposite side of his mentor, Twin Gate match should also be good because everything Kzy touches is gold this year.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

forkboy84 posted:

Slightly surprising that Susumu Yokosuka vs Shun Skywalker is going to be a non-title match but it should still be great, main event will be a banger, be fun to see Dragon Kid on the opposite side of his mentor, Twin Gate match should also be good because everything Kzy touches is gold this year.

dg takes their weight class designation for brave somewhat seriously. shun probably hasn't be under 83 kilos since before he had the gimmick.

funny bit about ultimo and bxb hulk on the same team. when ultimo split/he started dragondoor, mistico I was supposed to be on the debut show. it ended up that mistico I no-showed, and magnum tokyo and hulk (hulk was magu's junior) showed up to the dragondoor show and walked backstage and offered to wrestle to fill in as a bit of bants. ultimo was none to pleased

great looking show, will be interested if we will get further deviation from the strong machines formula in that triangle gate match.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

dg takes their weight class designation for brave somewhat seriously. shun probably hasn't be under 83 kilos since before he had the gimmick.

funny bit about ultimo and bxb hulk on the same team. when ultimo split/he started dragondoor, mistico I was supposed to be on the debut show. it ended up that mistico I no-showed, and magnum tokyo and hulk (hulk was magu's junior) showed up to the dragondoor show and walked backstage and offered to wrestle to fill in as a bit of bants. ultimo was none to pleased

great looking show, will be interested if we will get further deviation from the strong machines formula in that triangle gate match.

Hadn't even thought about the weight limit but yeah, Skywalker is officially listed at 85kg so that does make sense.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Chair v Chair happened today, will be on VOD in three days... :allears:

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Over here from the NJPW thread. Curious about two things:

1) Assuming we call NJPW the top promotion in Japan, what would be numbers 2 and 3?

2) Are there any other puro feds that include English commentary on most events in their streaming service?

Thanks!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Hellblazer187 posted:

1) Assuming we call NJPW the top promotion in Japan, what would be numbers 2 and 3?

2) Are there any other puro feds that include English commentary on most events in their streaming service?

Thanks!

1) Dragon Gate and DDT

2) Dragon Gate just started experimenting with it but there's only one show so far. DDT used to put the VOD up with English commentary for major shows but now they don't. There's a live translation Twitter account though.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Hellblazer187 posted:

Thanks!

Dragon Gate is number 2, DDT is number 3. As for English commentary, no, not really. Dragon Gate had their very first English commentary show last month and they did a really good job putting over stories etc and keeping up with the fast paced action. But it was a test run and while they may be back in the future it'll only be for the tentpole events. Some shows don't even have Japanese commentary.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
I haven’t heard any specifics, but I’d keep an eye on either 8/24 or 9/1 for English commentary on DG. I know one person on the desk is probably getting changed out (I haven’t been involved in prep this time, but that was what I knew when they asked me to help with the research for them for Kobe World). DG was really happy with how Kobe World did internationally.

The rule with commentary on DGnet are all Korakuens and Traditional Big Shows will have live commentary/full camera production. They do everything else in post (that’s why Osaka, Hakata, Kobe and Kyoto are only hard cam), because those are the ones their parent company carries live on ppv platforms in Japan. I don’t see this changing anytime soon. They’re partially owned by their cable network so the network dictates the rules.

The rankings are very clearly NJPW - big cliff - DG - cliff and a big one when you get out of Tokyo - DDT - cliff - All Japan/NOAH - big cliff - big japan/zero one/wrestle 1 (not including joshi because I’m not knowledgeable enough to make that claim).

Anyone trying to argue that all japan or NOAH is number two over DG or number three over DDT is being either ignorant or intellectually dishonest.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

All Japan and Noah were each number 1 at one point in time, though, correct? I don't think I'm interested in DDT (at least not right now) but I'll check out the last Dragon Gate show with English commentary. What's the name of the show and when was it on?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Hellblazer187 posted:

All Japan and Noah were each number 1 at one point in time, though, correct? I don't think I'm interested in DDT (at least not right now) but I'll check out the last Dragon Gate show with English commentary. What's the name of the show and when was it on?

AJPW and NOAH were each at one point the biggest in the country, yeah. They're both in a stronger position than they were a few years ago. NOAH's new owners are aiming to take the number two spot. I doubt they'll catch Dragon Gate but passing DDT is doable at least attendance wise based on both company's current trajectories. Their monthly Korakuen Hall shows are peaking way higher than DDT's are this year anyway.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Also, AJPW's new president is afaik adapting NOAH's business model for their purposes, and I doubt they'll go as far as NOAH this year, but I'm confident they'll make a steady rebound outside Tokyo somewhere along the line

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Venomous posted:

Also, AJPW's new president is afaik adapting NOAH's business model for their purposes, and I doubt they'll go as far as NOAH this year, but I'm confident they'll make a steady rebound outside Tokyo somewhere along the line

What is that business model, anyway?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

NOAH have the benefit of having wealthy owners who are really investing in advertising especially in Osaka where they're holding the finals of the N1 Victory (which is still a dumbass name change) which I guess kinda makes better sense than trying to expand in the crowded Tokyo scene. AJPW on the other hand is owned by Jun Akiyama so doesn't have the same resources available and has to rely on sponsors.

Speaking of advertisements, I saw a Dragon Gate ad on the train the other day so I guess they're pushing hard too.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Hellblazer187 posted:

Kobe World has Rich Bocchini (MLW ex-WWE), Larry Dallas (Did DG in 2012, ex-WWN) on the call. It was on 7/21/2019. I obviously have skin the game, but it’s a big contender for SOTY.

Venomous posted:

Promoting well outside of Tokyo is the real firewall for anyone to challenge Dragon Gate. NJPW and DG are the only companies reliably drawing four figures outside of Tokyo. DDT has the money (their parent company is richer than anyone else’s, Bushiroad included), but they struggle to break 300 outside of Tokyo.

All Japan and NOAH have the brand name, All Japan does a bit better in Osaka, but is down there and NOAH now treats Yokohama has their big venue.

If I were to forecast the next five years, I can see All Japan making a rebound if they ever develop anyone other than Kento. DG will probably be the same, maybe a bit better if Stronghearts ever came back. DDT has the money, but has never drawn outside of Kanto, so who knows, and someone will buy NOAH again.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Speaking of advertisements, I saw a Dragon Gate ad on the train the other day so I guess they're pushing hard too.

It’s for Dangerous Gate. Kido really is trying to ramp up their local promotion everywhere. Suspect the same in Osaka in November.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

If NOAH's EDION Arena 1 and Sumo Hall shows do well this year then I'd comfortably say they're above AJPW. AJPW tried EDION last year but didn't do well enough to want to do it again this year.

Also DDT is getting regularly outdrawn by TJPW outside of Tokyo when they tour together.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

I obviously have skin the game

As someone who doesn't follow this thread, it's not particularly obvious to me. Although you mentioned that you were doing (or not doing) certain setting up for them, so do you work for DG in some capacity?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

At one point, NOAH was doing dome shows and looked nothing like the NOAH of today.

That said, NOAH is worth a pop in and watch. Their entire roster looks like sex pests now, which probably doesn’t help matters.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Hellblazer187 posted:

As someone who doesn't follow this thread, it's not particularly obvious to me. Although you mentioned that you were doing (or not doing) certain setting up for them, so do you work for DG in some capacity?

Did prep for the commentary team over July to get them up to speed for the broadcast. Not with DG in a capacity, but after covering the promotion for the last five years, didn’t want the commentators to look like idiots (thought they exceeded my expectations)

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

NOAH in '04-'05 was definitely #1 in Japan. Then Kobashi (by far their biggest draw) got cancer, Misawa had to put the belt on himself as a stopgap, the guys they tried to develop didn't draw nearly as much as the old stars, then NTV axed their TV deal, then Misawa died, and welp.

NJPW also completely cratered around that same time.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Also DDT is getting regularly outdrawn by TJPW outside of Tokyo when they tour together.

i mean one has maki ito and the other doesn't, so it's a real easy choice

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
i thought akiyama stepped down from AJPW after Aoki's death

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Does this mean TJPW is doing very well, or is it just DDT underperforming a bit?

(I hope for the former, since I rather enjoy watching TJPW and like seeing it do well).

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

KungFu Grip posted:

i thought akiyama stepped down from AJPW after Aoki's death

He's not the president any more but he still owns it, kinda like Kidani with Bushiroad.

NuclearPotato posted:

Does this mean TJPW is doing very well, or is it just DDT underperforming a bit?

(I hope for the former, since I rather enjoy watching TJPW and like seeing it do well).

TJPW is doing better than DDT traditionally does outside Tokyo. DDT are pushing both brands more outside Tokyo now (e.g. on September 1st, Takeshita and Shoko are defending their belts on a DDT/TJPW double shot in Osaka instead of the Korakuen Hall shows a week before)

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

drat Takayama and Suzuki booked NOAH's ace against DDT's ace.

https://twitter.com/Hi5ame/status/1161639053109936128?s=19

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

A couple thoughts from the couple of DG shows I've seen from the current tour
First I've seen of Martin Kirby but he's been pretty entertaining.
Every time I see Jimmy I think it's TJP at first glance.
Normally I love when Natural Vibes do their dance, especially Susumu because he clearly is not a dancer, but on one of the two 4/8 shows Ryo Saito was teaming with them and joined in on the dance and was every bit as bad as Susumu but where as Susumu often seems very reluctant as well as bad Saito did not let his complete absence of rhythm stop him from pulling shapes. I'm a sucker for dumb poo poo.
There's obviously been some very good wrestling; Genki Horiguchi vs Shun Skywalker was a fun sprint, Ben-K vs Kaito Ishida is well worth a watch, both on the 4/8 Secret afternoon show. And from the 7/8 Korakuen show there's Kzy, Horiguchi and Susumu vs Eita, Big R Shimizu and Kanda and then the main event tag with Ben-K & Shun vs YAMATO & KAI.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 14, 2019

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/SonicoLucha/status/1162235494807117824

:shobon:

Someone let me know how he does. I don't even know how to watch NOAH from America.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
a quick search on twitter sounds like people were surprised how tall he is and he's not as spooky as his promo picture looks. Also was very nice to a fan.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

finally watch the Kobe World show, and that was awesome. It was like good era ROH. Factions and lucha sprints oh my! The english commentary could use some tuning tho. Lot of botched calls and they didn't have subtitles or translations ready for the pretapes. Larry Dallas translating japanese surprised me.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

TTBF posted:

https://twitter.com/SonicoLucha/status/1162235494807117824

:shobon:

Someone let me know how he does. I don't even know how to watch NOAH from America.

Dunno about this show, but generally NOAH shows get uploaded online after they are shown on Japanese TV. So tomorrow's card is the opening night of the N-1 Victory tournament and Sonico is on that in the opener, tagging with Junta Miyawaki against KAZMA SAKAMOTO & Kinya Okada. It's being broadcast on the 25th on Samurai TV so will probably be online in the 24 hours after that (generally the best place to check is the PuroresuDream Twitter account but if you remind me on the 26th or 27th I'll probably be able to find a rutube link if you just want to stream the one match rather than have to download the whole show. But if you just want to know how he's doing without watching anything then the best place to start is Hisame's Twitter account, she's probably the number 1 NOAH fan in the west & is regularly providing results & translations & other poo poo on her blog.

Talking of the N-1 tournament, probably worth putting up a little about it. Obviously it's no G1 but it looks a fun little tournament. It's mostly NOAH regulars with a couple of outsiders, and I've absolutely no idea how many of the shows from the tour will even be filmed but there will no doubt be some cracking wrestling along the way. It's the successor to Global League, you win it & you get a GHC Heavyweight title shot, they've stripped it back from 16 competitors for the first time since 2013 and in fact it's the smallest field they've run with just the 10 men involved. On the bright side, it's also the first year since 2016 without Cody Hall involved so it's not all bad. Defending champion Kaito Kiyamiya (also the GHC champ) is sitting this years tournament out, which is maybe a little surprising but you still have 5 former GHC Champions and a former Open the Dream Gate champion among the field.

Block A
Naomichi Marufuji - He's not what he once was but Marufuji is still the big name in NOAH, he's only 39 but has 21 years in All Japan & NOAH on his body doing a pretty hard style. But he did prove he can still go at the start of this month at the 19th Anniversary show, maineventing with Kotaro Suzuki.
Takashi Suigura - Somehow he's 49 now and still having bangers, his last GHC title reign in 2018 helped steady the ship even if it didn't result in a major upturn in business, but he did what he could and you can't say he disappointed in any of his title matches, with the matches against Go Shiozaki & Katsuhiko Nakajima being especially praiseworthy. It's Suigura, he's a small guy, he used to be a Jr in the promotions heyday, but he's going to be a grumpy old brawler who has terrific matches.
Go Shiozaki - Another amazing wrestler, but was never able to be that Heavyweight ace to step into the huge boots of Misawa & Kobashi, just didn't have the "it-factor". Currently 1/2 of the reigning GHC Tag champs with Nakajima.
Masa Kitamiya - A Kensuke Office product (like Katsuhiko Nakajima & Kento Miyahara), a good wrestler who was runner-up in the 2016 Global League to Minoru Suzuki but yet to turn it into a GHC Heavyweight Championship run.
Alex Hammerstone - The first outsider, coming in as part of the just recently announced linkup with MLW. I know nothing about him except he's a powerhouse and has apparently been improving the last couple of years?

Block B
Katsuhiko Nakajima - One of things I always have to repeat to myself about Nakajima is how long he's been around. He's 31 now and made his debut in 2004. He signed with RIki Choshu's World Japan at the age of 14 for chrissake and since that he's wrestled for All Japan, New Japan, NOAH, Dragon Gate, DDT, Osaka Pro, Michinoku Pro, Big Japan, Zero 1, CMLL, Toryumon Mexico, ROH, IWRG & basically any half-way major promotion in Japan. He's great. He's been great for at least a decade probably. If you saw the 2016 G1 you saw plenty Nakajima, he was block runnerup to Kenny Omega. NOAH has only gotten 9 matches ****3/4 or higher from WON & Nakajima was in 2 of them (including the only one this decade, with Brian Cage). He's going to kick the gently caress out of people, and he's a great prick, which is one of the most fun roles in wrestling.
Shuhei Taniguchi - Formerly known as Maybach Taniguchi until May this year, he's been with NOAH since 2005, he's won the GHC Tag titles 5 times and is basically always the second dude in the team, be it with KENTA, Marufuji, Morishima or Shiozaki. Even at the moment he's second fiddle to Kiyamiya in a team. Don't expect much.
Kenoh - Not a homegrown NOAH guy (was trained by Jinsei Shinzaki & started with Michinoku Pro) but came in as a regular in 2014, he is a former GHC champ & was in a tag team with Kiyamiya until this year where he got in the huff with having to be the youngsters trainer & so formed a new unit, Kongoh and is grumpy with the new owners for some reason I can't remember.
Masaaki Mochizuki - One of the best over-45 year old wrestlers in the world today, he's the former Dream Gate champ I mentioned, a regular in Dragon Gate since it's founding and before that in Toryumon Japan. His match with Nakajima is one I'm really looking forward to as they were partners in Dragon Gate for a brief while and also they both like kicking people very hard.
El Hijo de Dr Wagner Jr - As his name suggests, it's the son of Dr Wagner Jr, nephew of Silver King, and that's the sum of my knowledge.

The matches to (hopefully) see are Nakajima vs Mochizuki on the 18/8, Hammerstone vs Suigura on 25/8, Kenoh vs Mochizuki on 29/8, Marufuji vs Suigura on 7/9, Nakajima vs Kenoh on 9/9, Shiozaki vs Suigura on 9/9

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

forkboy84 posted:

Dunno about this show, but generally NOAH shows get uploaded online after they are shown on Japanese TV. So tomorrow's card is the opening night of the N-1 Victory tournament and Sonico is on that in the opener, tagging with Junta Miyawaki against KAZMA SAKAMOTO & Kinya Okada. It's being broadcast on the 25th on Samurai TV so will probably be online in the 24 hours after that (generally the best place to check is the PuroresuDream Twitter account but if you remind me on the 26th or 27th I'll probably be able to find a rutube link if you just want to stream the one match rather than have to download the whole show. But if you just want to know how he's doing without watching anything then the best place to start is Hisame's Twitter account, she's probably the number 1 NOAH fan in the west & is regularly providing results & translations & other poo poo on her blog.

Thank you! I'm interested in not just seeing the match but more of the show. The comments made about how tall he is surprise me. I'm 5'11"/180cm and Sonico is a head shorter than me, so I'm very interested in seeing the size of the people he's fighting.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Hammerstone is, or was, part of a team with MJF on the indies/MLW

I remember asking people in PSP about Hijo Del Wagner, apparently he kinda sucks

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Hammerstone did a lovely Shoten Kai and might have ended Savio Vega's career with it so that's all i know about him. also he gets mad online about people not shaking hands in the back and he used to cosplay triple h.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

KungFu Grip posted:

he used to cosplay triple h.

goddamn this is the saddest thing :stare:

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

KungFu Grip posted:

Hammerstone did a lovely Shoten Kai and might have ended Savio Vega's career with it so that's all i know about him. also he gets mad online about people not shaking hands in the back and he used to cosplay triple h.

That's honestly it. But he is on a spurt of improving from match to match currently so a Japan tour is coming at the best time for him.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

hes actually pretty nice and loves, loves pro wrestling. his end goal is to wind up in WWE though so expect him to jump at any dev deal offered.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

DDT uploaded it free on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVCbt8fp9wM

Chair vs Chair
Chair, Doradori-kun, Antonio Honda and Kazuki Hirata vs Chair, Pokotan, Danshoku Dieno and Makoto Oishi

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

AJPW have booked Hellboy, as in the comic book and movie character for their next Korakuen. Kento will defend the Triple Crown against Naoya Nomura and Violent Giants will defend against Zeus and Ryouji Sai

https://twitter.com/PKDX/status/1163314856038023168?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/dragongate_pro/status/1163235216934072321

Dragon Gate just booked Meiko Satomura, DASH Chisako and Chihiro Hashimoto vs Nanae Takahashi, Hollywood Stalker Ichikawa and Yosuke♡Santa Maria for their Sept 1 Sendai show, Gate of Origin