Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1161208013291757569

jezza is telling us to occupy government buildings again isn’t he

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Cheers to all the (M) Banks aficionados for the advice/recommendarions

Junior G-man posted:

Offa's Dyke trip report, day three

Overall trip 9/10. Long day from the Hunters Moon Inn to Hay-on-Wye, hoofed about 32km in under 8 hours and feeling pretty proud. Black mountains are super amazing, with view halfway through the UK and the Welsh countryside on the other side. Really good path with slabs in the right places so we don't disturb the moorland vegetation. Also lots of half wild ponies.
Weather: 9/10, perfect wind and temperature for walkies and pants dry as a bone.

These posts are really cool by the way

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Coohoolin posted:

We were wondering why something like this hadn't already been launched, but the settlement scheme deadline is June 2021 and it's probably a pain to set up so I'm happy and very very relieved.

AFAIK that deadline only applies if there's a deal, though I'm not entirely clear on that.

Come to think of it so is everyone else.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
I always like the Alfasud example of a 'pre-industrial' culture butting straight up against a modern industrial business setting.

In the 1970s the Italian government pushed Alfa Romeo (which it ultimately owned through several layers of state agencies) to build a brand new car factory outside Naples as part of the ongoing attempts to 'modernise' the South and close Italy's drastic North/South economic and social divide. Alfa designed a wholly new car for the new factory, appropriately named the Alfasud.

Over 20,000 would-be employees for the new factory were interviewed and over 6000 were taken on. Some were from the (declining) brickfields of Campania (digression - most of these workers' ex-colleagues had been recruited by the London Brick Company which is why Bedford and Peterborough have big Italian communities) but the vast majority were farmers, and this meant that they and their families lived on a small mixed-use plot of land that they and their ancestors had worked since time immemorial. It was mostly a self-sufficient and subsistance-level life, with individual villages trading amongst the residents for goods and services as required, often in the form of labour ("I need to grind my flour on your millstones...I will till your fields for two days in exchange and bring you a cask of my wine.") and there was a long tradition of both short-term itinerant labour to boost the family funds as and when required and only working as much as was required to cover the family's costs.

The idea of regimented factory labour with set tasks, work rate and hours and managerial oversight was wholly alien to many of these people. They saw their job at the Alfa plant in the same way they saw walking over to the next valley to spend a day clearing ditches - something they'd do if they needed the money and felt like working that day. Faced with wage labour (on generous rates), many workers would simply down tools at whatever point in the day they'd earned 'enough', and only work the first three days of the week. As was their norm, if there was work required on their farm they simply wouldn't go in to the factory - at best they'd follow their own protocol and send a family member in their place; a family member who was not an Alfa employee and had had no training. During the tomato harvest or wine making season as much as half the workforce simply wouldn't show up for days on end.

Those that did show up were ripe for politicisation by the foremen, shop stewards and junior managers who had (to their great displeasure) been seconded from Turin to get things moving at the new factory. The harder management tried to carry out a one-factory overnight Industrial Revolution the more bitter the atmosphere became. Productivity and build quality was predictably dire.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Private Speech posted:

AFAIK that deadline only applies if there's a deal, though I'm not entirely clear on that.

Come to think of it so is everyone else.

Yeah no one loving knows but at least now I have a helpline and free support I can phone up to help me prove my drat residency.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I saw Dillinger Escape Plan open Reading in 2002. The singer shat in a carrier bag and then threw it into the crowd, all before midday. Later on that day I ended up backstage in a hospitality tent watching Sid from Slipknot do a jungle DJ set. That's my Dillinger Escape Plan story

I was also backstage at Reading 2002 watching Sid from Slipknot's DJ set. Small world...

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

BalloonFish posted:

Those that did show up were ripe for politicisation by the foremen, shop stewards and junior managers who had (to their great displeasure) been seconded from Turin to get things moving at the new factory. The harder management tried to carry out a one-factory overnight Industrial Revolution the more bitter the atmosphere became. Productivity and build quality was predictably dire.

I love stories like this. Thank you for telling it.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I was unfortunate enough to be sat on a train in front of two prime shitheads this afternoon who insisted on talking for the duration of the journey.
They were racist, sexist, financially illiterate and lacking entirely in self-awareness.

They started by talking about immigrants and one of them had a spiel about illegal Romanian immigrants and their apparently massively lucrative begging rings that mean even the lower-ranked members earn more than he does. (Oh, and the UK's full, apparently. And it's the fault of immigrants that there are no homes for anyone).
This got the other one talking about illegal immigrants as well, and with no apparent trace of irony he moved from whining about them coming over and then not integrating into society, to complaining about his wife who was previously here illegally ("that's why I had to do all that paperwork"), who has now decided to call her child (his step-son) by an anglicised version of his name.

These people are allowed to vote :shepicide:

And sort your coving and decking out as well, apparently

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Necrothatcher posted:

I was also backstage at Reading 2002 watching Sid from Slipknot's DJ set. Small world...

No loving way

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

technology is the only moral good, actually, and pursuing it makes any moral ill acceptable.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Weird huh. I was friends with Spiritualized and they got me the tickets. My girlfriend was dead impressed.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Ms Adequate posted:

technology is the only moral good, actually, and pursuing it makes any moral ill acceptable.

alright calm down Ms Pinker

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Coohoolin posted:

The Scottish government have launched a support program for EU nationals needing help with the settlement scheme, including a phone number for free expert advice.

https://www.mygov.scot/eu-exit-citizens/

I mean, OK, but this is literally something that already exists:

https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families/applying-for-settled-status

quote:

Get help

You can get help with your application on the phone or online. The phone number is different if you’re from a local council or another organisation helping others to apply.

If you’re inside the UK 
Telephone: 0300 123 7379 
Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays), 8am to 8pm 
Saturday and Sunday, 9:30am to 4:30pm 
Find out about call charges

If you’re outside the UK 
Telephone: +44 (0)203 080 0010 

If you’re from an organisation helping others to apply 
Telephone: 0300 790 0566 
Find out about call charges

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

crispix posted:

Angelos Epithemiou has aged like poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2v7tB4bGaM

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/13/uk-british-nationality-hong-kong-citizens-tom-tugendhat

quote:

The UK should give Hong Kong citizens full UK nationality as a means of reassurance amid the current standoff with Beijing, the chair of the influential Commons foreign affairs committee has argued.

Tom Tugendhat said this should have happened to people in the formerly British-ruled territory in 1997, when it was handed back to Chinese control, and that doing so now would reassure Hong Kong’s people that they were supported by the UK.

Where’s that Onion headline “annoyingly a horrible person just made a good point”
The UK should have given proper citizenship to any who wanted it

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Ms Adequate posted:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Boris johnson visiting a prison.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/DavidFutrelle/status/1161039728956911618?s=20

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Boris johnson visiting a prison.

"Crikey, I've had larger things up my arse back in Eton."

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

On the topic of "economists are loving idiots", a article from The Economist about how the real world ignores all the fancy theories and models of economics

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

OwlFancier posted:

If none of you have read the fortress unvanquishable save for sacnoth by the way I do recommend it, it's :catdrugs:

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Sword_of_Welleran_and_Other_Stories/The_Fortress_Unvanquishable,_Save_for_Sacnoth

That’s a hell of a trip

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

lol there's a literal actual riot happening in Hong Kong airport and, while rioters clash with police and pepper sprays gets everywhere, scores of commuters are milling about with their suitcases trying to check in and get to their gates

It’s weird here. Every day is almost normal but the streets only have about 40% of the usual traffic and everyone’s kind of aware of being in that period where you’re waiting for something violent to kick off.

My wife took a flight out from the airport on a business trip about 2 hours before the latest round started. Right now I’m just hoping the airport’s back to normal when she returns.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Cerv posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/13/uk-british-nationality-hong-kong-citizens-tom-tugendhat

Where’s that Onion headline “annoyingly a horrible person just made a good point”
The UK should have given proper citizenship to any who wanted it

Didn't Thatcher specifically remove the citizenship of the people of Hong Kong (and all other territories outside the main islands) the last time things escalated out of fear of non-whites moving to the UK?

Which then incidentally sparked the Falklands war because Argentina saw the loss of citizenship as relinquishment of responsibility for the people on the island.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

1950's guys always look soooo uncomfortable in those comics. "After a hard day's work, just going to chill out at home in my business suit and formal shoes. Why yes, my shirt IS buttoned right up to the neck and my tie fitting snugly against my throat - really helps with this pipe I'm smoking!"

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

1950's guys always look soooo uncomfortable in those comics. "After a hard day's work, just going to chill out at home in my business suit and formal shoes. Why yes, my shirt IS buttoned right up to the neck and my tie fitting snugly against my throat - really helps with this pipe I'm smoking!"

The 1950s version of "Athleisure" consisted of taking off the suit jacket.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I definitely should have bought a motorbike instead of a car.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I definitely should have bought a motorbike instead of a car.

Yes, yes you should.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

On the one hand I might die, on the other hand, I'd at least die cool and less poor.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
A motorbike has the advantage that you can generally cruise smugly through lanes of congested traffic.

The disadvantage is that your average life expectancy decreases by about forty years.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I did some research once into the comparative risks of using different kinds of transport, from walking to cycling to driving to taking different forms of public transport and the one thing I took away from it was: holy poo poo, NEVER ride a motorbike.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I miss my motorbike. It's been in the shop waiting to get something around the spark plugs fixed. =(

The car is okay, but it's not quite as fun.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Angrymog posted:

I miss my motorbike. It's been in the shop waiting to get something around the spark plugs fixed. =(

The car is okay, but it's not quite as fun.

I would imagine that maintenence for the bike is much cheaper than the car?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I much prefer cars, even if you crash you can (now at least) usually walk away.

Bikes on the other hand seem like screaming death traps...

So where do I buy a bike? Out of interest?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pistol_Pete posted:

Acceptable dress ranges from formal, the tuxedo, to business casual, wearing a four-in-hand knot sans jacket. Anything smarter such as white tie or top hat and tails invites monarchism, anything more casual such as an open collar invites deviant sex communism.

Eschenique posted:

Didn't Thatcher specifically remove the citizenship of the people of Hong Kong (and all other territories outside the main islands) the last time things escalated out of fear of non-whites moving to the UK?

Which then incidentally sparked the Falklands war because Argentina saw the loss of citizenship as relinquishment of responsibility for the people on the island.
Yup.

The other genius idea of building a settlement of 50,000 British Chinese people in Northern Ireland in 1980 would also probably have led to violence.

'Mainland Britain taking responsibility for their own poo poo' was apparently not an option.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Reminder that you must take a course of CBT before you can ride a motorbike :eng101:

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Rarity posted:

Reminder that you must take a course of CBT before you can ride a motorbike :eng101:

I will never not read this as cock-and-ball torture

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Vlex posted:

I will never not read this as cock-and-ball torture

Inevitably, same.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Is the motorbike cbt course to prepare you for when you jump on your bike and land on your plums

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The DVLA were not impressed with the photo I sent them for my license I tell you what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

The DVLA were not impressed with the photo I sent them for my license I tell you what.

You're supposed to make sure the hair is swept back. Like a passport photo.