Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I buy stuff in GoG because I support DRM free software in general if even only in principal since I use the GoG launcher which is kind of its own DRM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
To my knowledge GoG doesn't pay to make games GoG exclusive, and neither has Steam.

It's a practice that is exclusively only to Epics benefit. It's one thing to make your own games exclusive to your own launcher, but paying developers to release anywhere but Steam is good for nobody but Epic.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

gog is cool too

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

isn’t a big argument about Steam and that whole debacle that they cornered the market and left the UI in a 1999 style while they swim through cash cause they have no competition or incentive to better anything

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Epics UI is several orders of magnitude worse than Steams so I don't buy that argument. It would be one thing if they actually had a better service but literally all they have is "we paid developers a ton of money to not sell on Steam, buy games on our store instead".

I have a backlog on Steam as it is, I can wait a year for a game to come out on Steam so that I have all my games in one library.

The convenience of having all my games in one library means that unless someone else has something better to offer than Steam than if it doesn't come out on Steam, I'm probably not going to bother buying it elsewhere.

I don't need multiple launchers and accounts to gently caress with, it's not like there's a shortage of games to play.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK2YDAvVttw

tekken 7 finally getting a wing chun character and holy poo poo he look sick

https://twitter.com/KuuEater/status/1159543935078998017

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My beef with Steam is largely that they have zero quality control on anything now, because they don't give a poo poo, so you've got quality indie titles mashed between BIG TITTY ADVENTURE VIII.

I'm playing the absolute poo poo out of Star Valor right now, and I might keep doing it and just play RGO in a day or two instead. The game came out last year and tripped approximately zero of my filters, despite owning and playing a ton of other games with the exact same tags.

Valve is one of the few companies I've ever experienced that actively disdain the customer and make it harder to give them money.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

isn’t a big argument about Steam and that whole debacle that they cornered the market and left the UI in a 1999 style while they swim through cash cause they have no competition or incentive to better anything

Yeah it sucks that Valve barely gives a poo poo about modernizing Steam but Epic is also a billion dollar company with a client that’s somehow way worse. They also torture the living gently caress out of their employees.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

if you preferred unreal to quake then this is what happens

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

What's wrong with the steam interface?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

It's full of anime titties

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

That's not really an issue with the interface though

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Fallom posted:

I like Microsoft’s new monthly pass thing. It’s $5 a month and you get a ton of good games with it. Reminds me of that old rear end gaming Netflix service that was out like 12 years ago.

PlayStation has a game streaming service but if you play anything made after ps2 the controller lag is unbearable.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

if you preferred unreal to quake then this is what happens

The devs of the original unreal tournament made Warframe so unreal tournament isn't that bad

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

orange juche posted:

It's full of anime titties

At least steam has search filters.

Epic....kinda sucks at that.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

colachute posted:

PlayStation has a game streaming service but if you play anything made after ps2 the controller lag is unbearable.

It’s awful and anyone who claims they don’t notice the lag is definitely lying

Especially when they try to claim it works great on hotel Wi-Fi

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Vasudus posted:

My beef with Steam is largely that they have zero quality control on anything now, because they don't give a poo poo, so you've got quality indie titles mashed between BIG TITTY ADVENTURE VIII.

I kinda like that Valve has decided that they shouldn't be a gatekeeper. Yah it leads to a lot of trash, but I would rather more people have the opportunity to sell a game. Also, it's not like Valve doesn't offer a lot of filtering options, sure they are not perfect, but I can't think of an online store that has anything better.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
BIG TITTY ADVENTURE VIII was nowhere as good as IV or VI.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Mustang posted:

To my knowledge GoG doesn't pay to make games GoG exclusive, and neither has Steam.

It's a practice that is exclusively only to Epics benefit. It's one thing to make your own games exclusive to your own launcher, but paying developers to release anywhere but Steam is good for nobody but Epic.

all the source games require you to use steam which is how it became so popular in the first place

steam sucked when it first came out but it was required for hl2 etc. Gamers whining that epic is using their engine to force games that use their engine onto their platform is funny considering that is exactly how steam became popular

PookBear fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 13, 2019

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

e^: Haha gently caress I forgot about that. I was so pissed off when I had to install Steam to get HL2 to work. The good old days, when Valve actually made games.

I think Metro Exodus is only available on Epic and I also bought Anno 1800 and pre-ordered Control through the Epic store because they were on sale. It supports quicklaunch just like Steam, so it's not even an extra hassle to play games on it. Like this seems like a really asinine to complain about when all that's changing is the interface by which you launch the games. I guess the only argument that would hold any water would be if you used SteamLink or something.

psydude fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 13, 2019

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

McNally posted:

BIG TITTY ADVENTURE VIII was nowhere as good as IV or VI.

Disagree

The junction system with the magic added a lot of depth to the gameplay

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

bta6 had the best music for sure

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
VIII had the best music fight me

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

BTA:T had a surprisingly good plot though. A hidden gem.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

all the source games require you to use steam which is how it became so popular in the first place

steam sucked when it first came out but it was required for hl2 etc.

People bitched like crazy about it back in 2003

I don’t think Valve actually tried to make games like Vampire: The Masquerade exclusive to their store even though they required Steam.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 13, 2019

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Fallom posted:

People bitched like crazy about it back in 2003

they treated it as if pc gaming was now dead

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How’s that Rebel Galaxy game

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

VIII had the best music fight me

The boss theme is my ringtone

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

gog is cool too

X-Wing: Alliance was back on GoG before it was on Steam. Game was worth the price for the Death Star II tunnel run mission alone, and then modding the game to let you fly an A-Wing instead of the Falcon made it a true :supaburn: of a mission :getin:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Icon Of Sin posted:

X-Wing: Alliance was back on GoG before it was on Steam. Game was worth the price for the Death Star II tunnel run mission alone, and then modding the game to let you fly an A-Wing instead of the Falcon made it a true :supaburn: of a mission :getin:

all of the x-wing / tie fighter games are the best games

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Alliance was one I never really got into, for whatever reason. Does it play ok on modern computers?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

if you can get it on gog then yes

otherwise lucasarts games are hit and miss. Grim Fandango was unplayable beyond windows 95 before the rerelease. I learned how to make a VM just to play it again.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Fallom posted:

I'm probably gonna buy it and play it tomorrow.

I'm just about done with Star Valor (like 22-ish hours) which is really impressive considering that it's a relatively simple game, cost 15 bucks, and is made by one dude.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Fallom posted:

I set it to download before I left the house, I'll let you know later

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Fallom posted:

Alliance was one I never really got into, for whatever reason. Does it play ok on modern computers?

I play it through Steam just fine. The program I used to mod it (AlliEd), doesn’t play nice on my computer, though...so no insane A-Wing speed shenanigans in the DS II tunnels (unless you can pull that trick with the Falcon and it’s offset cockpit).

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Fallom posted:

It feels like freelancer, the weirdest thing I was unused to was you don't have an active throttle. You can select throttle percent in increments of 25.

You will absolutely get blown the gently caress up doing lots of fights at first because your garbage starter ship is literally garbage. I haven't really messed with pushing the story forward yet, still screwing around in the starter system.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

I remember playing through TIE FIGHTER as a kid with the cheat for invincibility.

Was the game actually winnable without it? Seems like you’d just get murdered within seconds without it. I could never figure out how to fly and not get murdered immediately.

yeah yeah git gud etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Dude McAwesome posted:

I remember playing through TIE FIGHTER as a kid with the cheat for invincibility.

Was the game actually winnable without it? Seems like you’d just get murdered within seconds without it. I could never figure out how to fly and not get murdered immediately.

yeah yeah git gud etc

The real challenge of the game was time management and, to a lesser extent, ordnance management.

Turbolasers don't have much range, and the enemy AI gunners only do a constant line lead, so jinking on the way to a target made the enemy essentially incapable of hitting you. Missiles required constant maneuver to evade (or just shoot them), but you could essentially fly in a mass of enemy fire and never get hit if you constantly changed direction. That just meant if you didn't defang them by killing enemies, knocking turrets out, etc, you'd eventually be so swarmed that you basically couldn't straighten out for more than a fraction of a second to fire at a target or scan something or the like.

On missions without time limits, to run the score up, this meant a single TIE fighter could eventually knock out capital ships and such if you were exceptionally patient just to run up the score and get more tats.