Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Most of what I remember from exam season was I got put in top set for biology, and therefore spent most of the year doing previous exams until I got very good at taking exams and familiar with most of the repeated questions, and I got my best grade in that subject as a result, but gently caress if I can remember any of it.

Nothing quite like that to make you ask what the gently caress education is for other than an overly complicated sieve for "the wrong kind of people"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

thespaceinvader posted:

Seems like a hell of a lot of work to dump on university admins during the one time of the year when all the academics aren't there tho. If it's even possible to get 2 million admissions done in the month or so between a level results and the start of term.

Unless they're going to give everyone a year off between A levels and University, which would be great but would also need them to actually have something to do.

In principle, it's a great idea, in practice I'm not sure how it would work, logistically.

I don't get it- in the current system offers are made based on predictions. In the new system they'd be made based on results. A university can say 'you need to get AAB' or whatever, and if your exam results are better than AAB you're in. How is this any more work than before for the uni?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Saros posted:

:lol::lol::lol:

Are you telling me that university entrance is based on grades the system thinks you will get.

Are you loving serious lmao.

[e] I've lived here nearly five years and still run into inexplicable poo poo like this regularly.

Yes, but there are two types of offer - conditional and unconditional. Most predicted grades get you a conditional offer, saying "if you get your predicted grades (or higher) then you get a place" whereas unconditional offers state that you could drop out of school there and then but still take the place at uni.

Guess which one rich people get more often.

FWIW my uni made an offer on the open day that if you could hand the head of the school a Java file that accurately calculated the sine of a googol then you'd get an unconditional offer.

Because I was a neophyte I was unaware of BigDecimal at the time and had to get in the hard way.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The offer is based on that. Then you have to get it. Although not always.

If I was to guess people from minority or non-traditional backgrounds are systematically disenfranchised from receiving offers from good/prestigious institutions because they tend to have lower predicted scores for *unknown reasons* how close would I be.

[e] ^^ goddamn.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I am like I dunno a quarter of your age

drat dude you either suck at maths or we're all in trouble for saying inappropriate things in the presence of a minor

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I also somehow got a B in maths despite the fact I didn't actually attempt half the paper and didn't know what I was doing with the other half, so I can only assume I was in a very lovely year lol.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Guavanaut posted:

Or don't run university on the same schedule as the school year, which is all based around Jesus being born, Jesus being executed, and six weeks off to weed fields.

There are some things that it works well for. Providing structure to the meandering process of learning at a higher level of abstraction than the school.

At the moment though, they're possibly too structured, too isolated, and too based around "being useful".

Maybe a world of part time university where you work as well and aren't expected to be 'useful' in your studies, so you can study precolonial Mesoamerican dance if that's what you like, would be a nice social balance while still producing academic output that is occasionally utilitarian.

I'm 100% for reforming the system root and branch, but it's gonna be a very hard sell.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Kassad posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1161563464504156160

Deciding university admissions based on students' actual exam results, what a crazy idea! :monocle:

I wasn't aware "predicted grades" were a thing in the UK before reading this. Jesus Christ.

Jose posted:

i was predicted something like AAB and got BCC. that'll show them for not accounting for my laziness

At my school I was literally predicted B (CS) D (Ancient History) E (History), and was locked out of every university bar one (I didn't even get to the interview stage) who gave me a conditional offer of BBB after they interviewed me and realized I actually knew things about Ancient History.

Come exam time I get BBA.

So yeah, gently caress predicted grades.

Also I'm black and was poor so...yeah, what a coincidence.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The offer is based on that. Then you have to get it. Although not always.

It's still really dumb.

Working around the system when applying from abroad ia interesting to say the least, but I managed to convince the teachers to give me all predicted As. Which I then did get, as one of only four in my year. Even then the only reason I managed to convince them is by being a middle class bookish gently caress.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I remember our A-Level chemistry recommended practice text had a question on converting morphine to heroin using acetic anhydride, and how many moles of acetic anhydride it would take to convert 10g of morphine and the mass of the final product.

I'm hoping Michael Gove's return to traditional educational values put the drugs back in school textbooks as well as writing his own foreword to the Bible.

Tarnop posted:

And also the "Labour want equality of outcome, which means no one will ever work again" replies
The 'equality of opportunity'/'equality of outcome' is the dumbest poo poo, because:

(OECD, 2008)

Where do they think equality of opportunity (which they're ostensibly for) will come from for the next generation without some equality of outcome (which they're against)?

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm 100% for reforming the system root and branch, but it's gonna be a very hard sell.
The alternative is creating a parallel academia, which is even harder. I think McDonnell's NHS but Education is a good first step.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Chucat posted:

At my school I was literally predicted B (CS) D (Ancient History) E (History), and was locked out of every university bar one (I didn't even get to the interview stage) who gave me a conditional offer of BBB after they interviewed me and realized I actually knew things about Ancient History.

Come exam time I get BBA.

So yeah, gently caress predicted grades.

Also I'm black and was poor so...yeah, what a coincidence.

Good on you for sticking a finger up to the odds mate. Congrats!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Where do they think equality of opportunity (which they're ostensibly for) will come from for the next generation without some equality of outcome (which they're against)?

Also if I have £50 and offer it to you and another dude based on the results of a coin flip, one of you is still walking away £50 richer than the other.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also the coin is racist.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Also the coin is racist.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

brexit_50p.jpeg

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
the predicted grade system is a Commonwealth one - you see in in southern Africa and the former British Malaya and Hong Kong too

it is no longer as high-stakes as it used to be in the UK with the introduction of the standardized AS level - you already know half your grade. And then there's coursework

but in other countries you still see mock exams and such to obtain a prediction earlier

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

*closes eyes and takes a deep breath as I click on this thread knowing ronya's posted*

ronya posted:

the predicted grade system is a Commonwealth one - you see in in southern Africa and the former British Malaya and Hong Kong too

it is no longer as high-stakes as it used to be in the UK with the introduction of the standardized AS level - you already know half your grade. And then there's coursework

but in other countries you still see mock exams and such to obtain a prediction earlier

oh phew it's informative and legible

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I'm a little confused by the whole preduicted grades thing, because IIRC when I did it they based most of the decision and offer around performance at AS levels. Did they stop doing those?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ronya posted:

Gove abolished that, AFAIK

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm a little confused by the whole preduicted grades thing, because IIRC when I did it they based most of the decision and offer around performance at AS levels. Did they stop doing those?

Nope, it's still based off AS levels / mock tests and your teachers putting their finger on the scales.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

What am I going to do with all this student accommodation I've just built and was expecting exorbitant rent from though?

Oh, your tenants are students then?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Hmm I wonder why I might be relieved by a support network from the government that wants me to stay rather than from the government that wants me to leave.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

TBH I'm not sure if we wouldn't be better off just abolishing university. The obsession with qualifications is loving stupid. If you need training for something then it should be done vocationally if and when you need it, and if you want to just do academia that shouldn't be something you do as a mandatory part of being able to get a job.

So you want engineers to be even MORE ignorant of the humanities?

Make University free but don't get rid of it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

AceOfFlames posted:

Maybe I want to discourage the formation of engineers.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Maybe I want to discourage the formation of engineers.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

AceOfFlames posted:

Make University free but don't get rid of it.

If engineers are ignorant of the humanities then they need training in that field.

Our current system is "well you got your degree, now go forth and inflict your ideas upon the world"

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

thespaceinvader posted:

In theory it's based on actual grades. But predicted grades affects how kids decide on where to apply and on the offers unis make in return. Unconditional offers are at an all time high. Kids in private schools are more likely to apply to some high tier uni based on good predicted grades, get an unconditional offer then get in even if they under perform.

Smart Kids in poor areas with an underperforming school will have their aspirations killed by a million paper it's and even if they do apply to somewhere like Oxbridge, they ain't getting an unconditional or lowball offer.

Edit: misread the post. Thought it was about predicted Vs actual grades.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The problem is not access to university, the problem is that even if you make it free it still serves as a largely irrelevant screening process for how many hoops you are prepared/able to jump through to get a qualification that probably isn't even actually related to your work but again, serves as an arbitrary filter for the "wrong sort" from getting into some jobs.

Opportunity cost of the time investment isn't something avaialble to everyone, you would have to literally pay people to go to get past that, and even if you did that, again, university does not determine your actual suitability for work, because making it something "everyone" does just means that employers can lazily demand you do it regardless of whether you need to.

So what you need is a fundamental change to the nature of it as an institution, the idea of a parallel university you can do in addition to a job if you want to isn't terrible though I'm skeptical that it wouldn't just end up with the same problems disadvantaging anyone who wants/needs to spend their time doing other things like parents and carers.

Education is, for the most part, a waste of time, because it does not teach you things you have any use for, while simultaneously being commodified into something you are required to have, and until you can break that relationship I don't think it's going to be a benefit to humanity as a whole. Useless knowledge is fine if it's on your own time, and being required to have things is fine if the things are actually necessary, but combine the two and you have a difficult to acquire but ultimately useless commodity as a gatekeeper of whether or not you have access to positions of power, which is loving stupid and might as well just go straight to "you can have the job if your parents are important enough"

It's cargo culting how education is "supposed" to work where the point is not to spend time teaching you something difficult but valuable so you can apply it, the point is to make the acquisition difficult so that acquiring it is an arbitrary designator of status.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Aug 14, 2019

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
the problem in the UK is arbitrariness - schools and teachers can set predictions to pretty much anything they like. This does go beyond predictions. If your career guidance counselor pats you on the 15yo head and reassures you that you don't really need to offer Maths, you're immediately screwed out of a vast array of hard subjects.

and then there's coursework with its myriad opportunities for illicit assistance

on the other end of the pendulum you can have systems where Maths is mandatory for almost all students in secondary education, and predictions are de facto standardized at a national level - hence cram schools to meet those national standards. Of course middle classes can mobilize resources to meet those standards too.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sounds like the problem is actually the middle classes then.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

ronya posted:

the problem in England is arbitrariness - schools and teachers can set predictions to pretty much anything they like. This does go beyond predictions. If your career guidance counselor pats you on the 15yo head and reassures you that you don't really need to offer Maths, you're immediately screwed out of a vast array of hard subjects.

Ftfy. Scotland has its own issues obvs.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I got the all time lowest score ever recorded in Pure Maths 2 A-Level in my school, mainly because I didn't get differentiation/integration from the start and both my teachers were loving awful

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Zalakwe posted:

Ftfy. Scotland has its own issues obvs.

England and Wales surely.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I got the all time lowest score ever recorded in Pure Maths 2 A-Level in my school, mainly because I didn't get differentiation/integration from the start and both my teachers were loving awful

Are you me?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

i miss glt

https://twitter.com/Lowenaffchen/status/1161554912179871744?s=19

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

feedmegin posted:

England and Wales surely.

Education is a devolved issue in Wales.

(Wales has some of the most disadvantaged areas of the UK which England doesn't want to have on their books spoiling the numbers)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OzyMandrill posted:

(Wales has some of the most disadvantaged areas of the UK which England doesn't want to have on their books spoiling the numbers)
Independence for Yorkshire on the books lads

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
When scotland inevitably goes independent the Midlands up should go with it imo

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OzyMandrill posted:

Education is a devolved issue in Wales.

Correct me if I'm wrong, devolved or not, Wales still does A Levels and predicted results, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

When scotland inevitably goes independent the Midlands up should go with it imo
In the grand British tradition (of doing it to other countries) I propose 6 independent states, honoring the traditional border between England and Scotland and Wales, and then drawing straight lines from the mouth of the Humber to the mouth of the Mersey for the North, the mouth of the Severn to the mouth of the Nene for the Midlands, and then those two Avons for the West Country yes Rarity it's all West Country.

England is the bottom right bit.