Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I was more meaning in general, also taking account how much of it you can do yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bardeh posted:

what the
• An intrinsically cash-centric culture.

• A society that revolves around religion.

• A distrust of British authorities.

• Evidence of gender bias and discrimination.

• Isolated communities.

• Low levels of literacy.

• Intradependence: very close-knit, extended families.

• Early marriage and large families.

• A cultural focus on honour and shame.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

• Isolated communities.

:perfect:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I would imagine that maintenence for the bike is much cheaper than the car?

Depends on the bike, depends on the car. A single-cylinder air-cooled 125 is going to be much cheaper to maintain than any car, but once you get into the mid range of bikes the complexity goes up and the service intervals go down, because even a relatively sedate commuter bike is tuned to near supercar levels. That CA perennial favourite the SV650 makes over 100 hp per litre, a pretty eye-watering number for a naturally-aspirated two-cylinder engine.

Mind you it's got a lot better - even high-strung exotica like the RSV4 (>200bhp from an 1100cc engine) still has 12k mile service intervals. This compares pretty favourably to my old RS125 (35bhp from a 125cc engine) which needed a little service every 4,000 kilometres, and a big service (including complete top-end rebuild) every 12,000.

Also bike tyres and brakes tend to wear much more quickly than car items (I feel incredibly lucky if I get 10k miles out of a set of tyres, it's normally nearer half that) but at least there's half as many of them to replace.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Half the tyres, nearly twice the unit cost.

Re. Things being under the car... You know they have these ramp things that lift the car up, right?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

• Isolated communities.

You are wonderful

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

• Isolated communities.

make this the OP

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Yeah but how many tyres and brake pads and whatever do you tend to need versus a car? Also lots of a car is underneath the car.

Two words - desmodronic valves.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I do get about 12-15k out of my bike tyres. Pilot Roads FTW.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

A single-cylinder air-cooled 125 is going to be much cheaper to maintain than any car

*laughs in East German*

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

*laughs in East German*

I'm willing to bet a fairly huge amount of money that that thing has shorter service intervals than a CBF or any other Japanese or even Italian small-capacity engine.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Depends on the bike, depends on the car. A single-cylinder air-cooled 125 is going to be much cheaper to maintain than any car, but once you get into the mid range of bikes the complexity goes up and the service intervals go down, because even a relatively sedate commuter bike is tuned to near supercar levels. That CA perennial favourite the SV650 makes over 100 hp per litre, a pretty eye-watering number for a naturally-aspirated two-cylinder engine.

Mind you it's got a lot better - even high-strung exotica like the RSV4 (>200bhp from an 1100cc engine) still has 12k mile service intervals. This compares pretty favourably to my old RS125 (35bhp from a 125cc engine) which needed a little service every 4,000 kilometres, and a big service (including complete top-end rebuild) every 12,000.

Also bike tyres and brakes tend to wear much more quickly than car items (I feel incredibly lucky if I get 10k miles out of a set of tyres, it's normally nearer half that) but at least there's half as many of them to replace.

I was specifically thinking about a very basic 125 designed for fuel efficiency and reliability. The honda you recommended last time looks quite appealing really.

I have carried a passenger a sum total of once in the year since I got the car, and things in the boot probably half a dozen times. A big enough box on the back would probably serve basically all the needs I use a car for and the aircon doesn't loving work anyway so I'm already getting lots of practice driving at motorway speeds in the open :v:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm willing to bet a fairly huge amount of money that that thing has shorter service intervals than a CBF or any other Japanese or even Italian small-capacity engine.
It's apparently very reliable for engines of the time when new but balances out only having half a dozen moving parts by low fuel efficiency and a higher cost of running (like any that needs oil premix).

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

Maybe a world of part time university where you work as well and aren't expected to be 'useful' in your studies, so you can study precolonial Mesoamerican dance if that's what you like, would be a nice social balance while still producing academic output that is occasionally utilitarian.
A few pages back, but this is exactly what my girlfriend does. She studies part time, works part time, and receives a small grant each semester that more or less covers rent - if she earns above some threshold in a given semester then this is converted to a loan instead. Norwegian university is free and (some) student housing is owned by the student union and by law run not-for-profit, so you can live modestly but quite happily under that system. She's spent a few years picking and choosing courses as she likes, and earned enough credits to be accepted onto a Masters course this year. It seems a pretty decent deal, if I don't find a decent job soon I'm tempted to do it myself.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

It's apparently very reliable for engines of the time when new but balances out only having half a dozen moving parts by low fuel efficiency and a higher cost of running (like any that needs oil premix).

A quick google suggests 30k km service intervals which is *hilariously* optimistic for a rotary-valve two-stroke (if nothing else you're going to be cleaning/replacing spark plugs a *lot*) - but someone should have taken me up on my bet because I was going off what my mate told me about the service intervals on his CBF (20k miles) but he didn't mention that was a big service, and that you're expected to do an oil change every 4k miles in between. I mean an oil change on a tiny wet sump engine is something you can do in ten minutes so it's not exactly onerous, but that's a bit of a surprise considering how all the various high-strung Italian bikes I've owned (apart from the aforementioned RS125) have required oil changes only every 8-12k miles.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

love too be told that because the computer thinks my personality is not the right fit the coop don't want me to apply for anything with them for six months lol.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

big scary monsters posted:

A few pages back, but this is exactly what my girlfriend does. She studies part time, works part time, and receives a small grant each semester that more or less covers rent - if she earns above some threshold in a given semester then this is converted to a loan instead. Norwegian university is free and (some) student housing is owned by the student union and by law run not-for-profit, so you can live modestly but quite happily under that system. She's spent a few years picking and choosing courses as she likes, and earned enough credits to be accepted onto a Masters course this year. It seems a pretty decent deal, if I don't find a decent job soon I'm tempted to do it myself.
That sounds like a perfect system. I think a lot of people would prefer that over the three intense years of study and clubs and middle class bantz and then work unless you want to take on more debt system. I would.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

That sounds like a perfect system. I think a lot of people would prefer that over the three intense years of study and clubs and middle class bantz and then work unless you want to take on more debt system. I would.

The majority of students here still do the three years of clubs and bantz at 18/19, but the difference is their debt at the end is pretty low since it only has to cover living costs. And definitely having the option there for "non-traditional students" is really good IMO. I know a ton of other foreigners here doing variations on that theme, a lot of them a bit older and wanting to retrain or just study something they find interesting. It's especially common for postgrad because then a lot of the courses are taught in English, but I also know people who learned Norwegian just to come and study here.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

radmonger posted:

No doubt people with a technical education and knowledge of the real world are a terrible plague in America and perhaps China. But this is the UKMT; the last time a British person was ever put in charge of anything based on their knowledge of what they are talking about was probably some frigate captain in the napoleonic wars.
This might be a definitional thing, but I'd argue that there's a difference between a person with a technical education and the pejorative STEMLord (tbh I don't really like it as a term, not very descriptive). The latter lacks that knowledge of "the real world" and has an assumption that tech can just sort of be jammed in anywhere and have a positive effect (disrupting the juicer/taxi/pizza market, x on the blockchain, etc.), a starry-eyed technological optimism rather than a critical and realistic approach. Also, fetishising rationality while conflating their opinions with it, often a dislike of arts and so on. Very much a subset.

You have a point about the latter. Irish Border Technosolution (TM), Dover Is A Port? Don't know how much truth there is to this, but I remember reading a few years back that one of the problems the UK has is that high-level tech workers and management tend to retire rather than sticking around, so we lack institutional knowledge. Wonder if that's actually the case?

big scary monsters posted:

Norwegian university is free and (some) student housing is owned by the student union and by law run not-for-profit, so you can live modestly but quite happily under that system.
This seems really neat! I'd love to do something like that, subsidised rent, bit of part-time work, learn a bunch, maybe look towards a PhD or something eventually

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

• Isolated communities.

What, you think Tories should be a protected minority group?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

This is in no way UK related but I remember people ITT talking about liking chess before.

There is currently (as in started about 5 mins ago) a live blitz chess tournament on with all the big names (I think incl. Magnus Carlson):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC6Ll1_xUjk

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

• Isolated communities.

:vince:

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
https://twitter.com/Lovejoy999/status/1161591019323973632

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Angrymog posted:

Re. Things being under the car... You know they have these ramp things that lift the car up, right?

Like I dunno I have no vested interest in bikes being cheaper to maintain than cars it just seems like the average person is going to maybe be able to do their own maintenance more readily on a bike than a car as they don't have a big ramp or underground pit to help them get at the car with. Also in my experience cars are hilariously poorly designed with maintenance and repair in mind with jobs you might expect to be simple requiring half the car be taken apart to get at whatever gizmo it is that's fried itself.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jedit posted:

If by that you mean stopping and searching them every time they go to the newsagents and having front page articles on the major newspapers questioning their loyalty to Britain and accusing them of everything from interfering with schools to domestic terrorism, definitely.

e: ^ Also a bike lift is something that half of all British Dads of a certain age have in their garage with a half-restored Norton on it, whereas a car lift is must more expensive and specialized.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jedit posted:

Better than them getting a protracted minor grope

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A lot of people have left ASDA near me recently and I think this is part of why. If it's what I think it is they ran it on a "voluntary" basis for a while and are now forcing everyone to switch to it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It doesn't say anywhere, what are the bad things in the new contract?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

^^^ lower pay for a start, and there's almost certainly a worse pension.

When I managed to get into uni the year the grants system ended and loans came in, the big selling point was that you didn't have to pay them off until you earned over a certain threshold (that I've never hit), and that the debt would be written off after a certain number of years. The former seems to still be the case as they haven't written to my broke rear end for a few years now, but is the latter still true? Does it get written off after an amount of time?

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 14, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No paid breaks I think was something people were mentioning.

I think it's called Contract Six if that helps refine your search.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

If you make it to 60 it's written off. Incidentally if your over 60 you don't qualify for a student loan

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

No paid breaks, no more increased pay for bank holidays or night shifts, decreased holiday allowances.

All in exchange for "higher pay".
Yes, the new base rate is higher for a majority of employees.
It is, however, also the new minimum wage for 25+ from April.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ahh yes that delicious "you'd better be loving thankful we raised your wage to comply with the law" letter I got from HR a few years ago :v:

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/14/britain-social-infrastructure-money-national-grid

Hello I work for the gruanidad and I come very very close to the point but then HoW aBoUT mOrE LoBbYiNg GrOuPsssssssss"

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Ferrosol posted:

If you make it to 60 it's written off. Incidentally if your over 60 you don't qualify for a student loan

This certainly wasn't true when I was working in further education 10 years ago, but that may have changed since then. Our outreach person was continually offering student loans to elderly people doing their first degree in retirement and noting that they would literally never have to pay them off.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

This certainly wasn't true when I was working in further education 10 years ago, but that may have changed since then. Our outreach person was continually offering student loans to elderly people doing their first degree in retirement and noting that they would literally never have to pay them off.

loving boomers!!!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pound_Coin posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/14/britain-social-infrastructure-money-national-grid

Hello I work for the gruanidad and I come very very close to the point but then HoW aBoUT mOrE LoBbYiNg GrOuPsssssssss"

quote:

How many news stories do you read about teenagers experiencing mental illness as they compare themselves to the images on their screens?
I remember the first time I saw goatse.

Seriously though, the whole "joining the alt-right or ISIS" thing might be a better line of direction to go with the 'socially isolated teenagers hooked into toxic media bubbles' thing, and any mental illness is more likely to be from constant exposure through social media to trolls and bullies and a constant stream of stupid fuckers than 'comparing themselves to the images' unless there's a new supergoatse with three rings.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

As I believe I've said before, most of these complaints about 'social media bubbles' come from middle aged wankers who only read the daily mail and the few tweets that make it past their automated block lists.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The term is STEMlord, but they really only tend to come from programmers, engineers and some physicists - being abstract and wide reachimg enough they feel their speciality can solve any problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

unless there's a new supergoatse with three rings.

Three sphincters