Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Xaintrailles posted:

I knew exactly where it was going and still lost it. Awesome.

Honestly it took me a couple of attempts to record it without laughing myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I bought Foss’s book Hardware a few years ago and it’s real awesome if you’re a fan of his work

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

free hubcaps posted:

I bought Foss’s book Hardware a few years ago and it’s real awesome if you’re a fan of his work

Did he do the art for that National Geographic astronomy coffee-table book? I loved that loving thing. To this day I remember the Venusian rocket monkey things and the Plutonian zistles.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

According to this, those are by Michael Whelan. A lot of artists contributed to that book, including Syd Mead, and of course John Berkey on that bitchin cover:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Now I want Syd Mead Dune designs

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Prolonged Priapism posted:

According to this, those are by Michael Whelan. A lot of artists contributed to that book, including Syd Mead, and of course John Berkey on that bitchin cover:

This is a great book, gotta track my copy down again

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

a kitten posted:

Now I want Syd Mead Dune designs

these spice harvesters by Benjamin Last have a Mead vibe.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

https://twitter.com/AlexJayBrady/status/1160973953298550784
Alex Jay Brady has also done some amazing Dune concept art.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
The board game is getting a reprint next week. It's good!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Horsebanger posted:

The board game is getting a reprint next week. It's good!

It's the best strategy board game ever produced by humankind; too bad the new artwork sucks.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Reminded that Man of Steel had a lot of HR Giger going on in Krypton, with Zod and pals being turned into giant metal dildos and exiled to the Phantom Zone. I think the theme is meant to be sexual repression.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Awww yeah. Birds, motherfucker.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Most of their stuff is really good (I love the little tents on top of the worms) but that laza tiger scene oof, it's like N64-era game box art but without the charm.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It's spelt LASER Tiger dumbass

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

laspuss

VVVV :lol:

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Aug 14, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's actually just a tiger and you having a laser pointer

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Those sketches are terrible imo. Don't make Shai Hulud look like the batmobile, please.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

kiimo posted:

Those sketches are terrible imo. Don't make Shai Hulud look like the batmobile, please.

Needs more nipples.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

DandyLion posted:

Needs more nipples.

Paul Atreides drinking blue sandworm milk

ProfFrink
Nov 7, 2007

"Stun" may be a bit of a misnomer.

alexandriao posted:

Paul Atreides drinking blue sandworm milk

That's where the spice essence comes from.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

shai’hulud should just be massively upscaled ragworms, those things are already loving terrifying and can bite the poo poo out of you if given the chance. also the king ragworm is colloquially called the sandworm, come to think of it im genuinely curious if Herbert was familiar with these guys-they are a marine species and commonly used for fishing bait, idk if they are present on the west coast though.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Would be pretty tough to climb up on that fucker

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

ProfFrink posted:

That's where the spice essence comes from.

Ultraspice, in a sense

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

free hubcaps posted:

shai’hulud should just be massively upscaled ragworms, those things are already loving terrifying and can bite the poo poo out of you if given the chance. also the king ragworm is colloquially called the sandworm, come to think of it im genuinely curious if Herbert was familiar with these guys-they are a marine species and commonly used for fishing bait, idk if they are present on the west coast though.

That's cool. Herbert was an avid fisherman. Puget Sound area, who wouldn't be?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

free hubcaps posted:

do they burrow?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I used to have one as a pet. Mine hated not being burrowed but would do the whole sand vortex thing to consume surface dwellers who couldn't make it to the rocks

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

some more dune art this time by dmitry blagorodov

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Kanine posted:

some more dune art this time by dmitry blagorodov

good post

also, i love your music

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I was looking through some files on my computer and found the Giger concept art for jodorowsky's Dune.
Sorry if they've been posted already.

Spice Harvester or possibly Harkonnen Castle:

Harkonnen Chair

Arrakis Lanscape? Harkonnen Castle

Giger posted:

"Harkonnen stands on rising ground, a sort of hill, and consists of jagged bones and excrement which slowly crumble into dust. More bones and excrement are continually being ejected from Harkonnen, which crumble and are swept away by the eternally raging storms. A sort of staircase leads up the hill to the castle, defended by spears built into the bones on either side of the entrance, which have an independent existence and often impale the citizens just for fun.

"The castle itself, a symbol of intemperance, exploitation, aggression and brutality with a magical aura which has a negative effect on all the inhabitants, is egg-shaped and mostly burned in the ground. Like an iceberg which shows only a tenth of its volume, Harkonnen hides its evil deep inside. The body of the castle swivels on a circular track like a gun mounting and is surrounded by a bottomless trench some 70 metres wide. The only link with the outside world is a drawbridge which can be lowered like an enormous penis to admit visitors. The main gate is only an entrance, never an exit, for it has barbs like sharks' teeth which prevent anyone from turning back.

"The two walls of the drawbridge can be brought together hydraulically, crushing visitors who are hostile to the castle. the enemy's remains are scraped off by so-called wall cleaners when the bridge is in the raised position and fall into a conversion paint. Harkonnen is a gigantic Moloch, which functions by converting living beings into energy. Every visitor is materially or spiritually exploited (as I was for this film project). Whoever enters the castle stays there for the rest of his life, which in any case can only last a few seconds. The belly of Harkonnen is a gigantic, senseless gothic, empty space in which corpulent beings swing through the abyss on their suspensors. The thin, plump external skin is supported from inside by a bone-like structure in the form of gigantic vertical plates. The egg in the desert, a symbol of fertility and reclusion - nothing but a fragile, empty sham.

"Opposite the entrance is the ejector system. Here, from time to time, but particularly during attacks, gigantic quantities of charred bones and poo poo are hurled into the surrounding area, accompanied by thunder and fire.

"The head of Harkonnen is a gigantic defence installation designed to protect the castle from attack by both land and air. The face section of the head at the front of the body can be lowered mechanically revealing a fortified skull which spits death and destruction. In the top of the skull is a landing area for flying machines. The whole head can be raised or lowered, in order to aim it at the target. The upper arms of Harkonnen contain the conversion plants, while the lower arms contain more defence installations against attack from underground."
Based on the above, I'd be willing to bet that a lot of those harvester pictures are actually the Harkonnen Castle.

Sandworm. To the surprise of absolutely no one, Giger took a possibly phallic symbol and made it a definitely phallic symbol.
:nws:https://i.imgur.com/DOgltCw.jpg:nws:

Edit:

skasion posted:

The Harkonnen chair props actually got made. Giger sold replicas of them for five figures each

Thanks, found a picture of one.

Edit: Looking over the info about Harkonnen castle, I wonder if Giger would have been involved for just the Harkonnen part, and Jorodowsky would have had a different designer for Caladan and Arrakis.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 16, 2019

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
I hope the new DUNE movie spares no expense on set pieces and CGI but just recycles the footage from Beetlejuice for the sandworms.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Harkonnen chair props actually got made. Giger sold replicas of them for five figures each

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Geiger art showing the connections between Dune and 40k loud and clear

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

skasion posted:

I saw an original one a long time ago at the Frankfurt (Germany) Book Fair (probably at the booth of Giger's publisher, I also remember that they were promoting Necronomicon). At that time I had read Dune, but knew nothing about the planned movie (I thought that the chair was connected to Alien).

The Giger sketches were used as illustrations for the German translation of God Emperor, that's how I finally learned about Jodorowski's project.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The actual costume left a lot to be desired but the Sardaukar concept for the Jodorowsky film is fuckin great:

Has anyone ever been to one of the Giger bars?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Potential BFF posted:

The actual costume left a lot to be desired but the Sardaukar concept for the Jodorowsky film is fuckin great:

Bring out the Sardukar.
The Sardukar's asleep.
Well I guess you'll have to go wake them up then, won't you?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Burseg Zed's dead, Usul. Burseg Zed's dead.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Potential BFF posted:

Taking this concept to the natural end point

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Jodorowsky's The Fourth Stimpire

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Pham Nuwen posted:

Jodorowsky's The Fourth Stimpire

"What's in the box?"
"The worst kind of electricity."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Potential BFF posted:

“Justice never sleeps. Almsivi watch over you.”