Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Did you do her paralogue?

Her deal was over before that!

At this point I prefer to believe she disliked having blue hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

When’s the paralogue where Byleth personally murders Bernadette’s father? Or at least calls fantasy CPS.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

If you play on Classic mode and have one of your teammates die, does it do the same dramatic thing it does when you kill the named characters post-timeskip?

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019

Deified Data posted:

[Massive mid-late game spoiler] I read lots of posts saying they knew Edelgard was the Flame Emperor all along and I never saw it. However I did manage to guess the gimmick the writers were gonna pull, I was just wrong about the specifics of it...I was actually starting to suspect it was Claude, who twice throughout the game conveniently disappeared when the Flame Emperor had been on screen, even being conspicuously called out for it by his fellow GD's. What was up with that? Just an obvious red herring?

Early in the game they seem to be dropping a lot of hints about Claude being suspect, pointing out that he's a schemer and his smile doesn't meet his eyes... and it's pretty much all red herrings as yeah he likes scheming and planning but he's genuinely got very good intentions and wants everyone to get along.

hopeandjoy posted:

When’s the paralogue where Byleth personally murders Bernadette’s father? Or at least calls fantasy CPS.

Spoiler: Sadly we don't get to kill him but he does get placed under house arrest by Edelgard... I like to think she has him tied to a chair all day so he knows how it feels

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Ometeotl posted:

If you play on Classic mode and have one of your teammates die, does it do the same dramatic thing it does when you kill the named characters post-timeskip?

Yep. Only after the timeskip, though.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's a pretty easy mystery to unravel on the BL route if you're paying attention to the dialogue. Sylvain likes to rib Dimitri about an embarrassing childhood story where he gifted a dagger to Edelgard when they were separated as kids and then in a later scene where the Flame Emperor has just left the area Dimitri finds a dagger on the ground and flips out for a second before telling Byleth it's nothing.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Deified Data posted:

[Massive mid-late game spoiler] I read lots of posts saying they knew Edelgard was the Flame Emperor all along and I never saw it. However I did manage to guess the gimmick the writers were gonna pull, I was just wrong about the specifics of it...I was actually starting to suspect it was Claude, who twice throughout the game conveniently disappeared when the Flame Emperor had been on screen, even being conspicuously called out for it by his fellow GD's. What was up with that? Just an obvious red herring?

I think every lord pulls that particular disappearing act. There are obvious reasons why Edelgard can't be with you for those scenes, but taking away Dimitri and Claude as well equalizes the difficulty of chapter 6 among the three houses, and I suppose it also makes it less completely obvious what's going on if you’re comparing notes with your friend who's playing another route.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I like Divine Pulse. It owns. I love being able to come back from a critical mistake without having to redo the whole mission and 1:1 mirror your tactics up until the last 5%. That in combination with seeing the enemy AI's aggro are both fantastic additions.

But you get too drat many charges - and on top of that they allow you to go back way too far. Divine Pulse could be brilliant if they gave you 3-5 charges MAX, only let you go back as far as your last completed turn, and maybe didn't make regaining charges as trivial as getting them back at the end of battle. Like maybe if you got them back via resting, and gave you an actually good reason to ever pick that option on a free day.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So with certifications, if you certify someone as one class then instantly switch them over to another and keep them as the 2nd class, do they get all the benefits that certifying them in the first class gave?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

So with certifications, if you certify someone as one class then instantly switch them over to another and keep them as the 2nd class, do they get all the benefits that certifying them in the first class gave?

Successfully certifying a class will raise any of your stats that are below that class' minimums to the minimum values for that class. Any other benefits (such as static stat modifiers and skills) require actually using the class.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Deified Data posted:

I like Divine Pulse. It owns. I love being able to come back from a critical mistake without having to redo the whole mission and 1:1 mirror your tactics up until the last 5%. That in combination with seeing the enemy AI's aggro are both fantastic additions.

But you get too drat many charges - and on top of that they allow you to go back way too far. Divine Pulse could be brilliant if they gave you 3-5 charges MAX, only let you go back as far as your last completed turn, and maybe didn't make regaining charges as trivial as getting them back at the end of battle. Like maybe if you got them back via resting, and gave you an actually good reason to ever pick that option on a free day.

Getting divine pulses back from rest would be great, since it'd also throw another wrinkle into going to battles on weekends since that'd be another avenue for using up your store of pulses. I think at that point it'd be totally fine to have up to 13, even, since those pulses need to last you unless you rest.

Normal mode can continue having it refresh after every battle though, it'd fit with normal mode having the free battles. The little extra thing for those that need it.

Has anyone used all 13 of those pulses, by the way? The most I've used in a single battle is probably about 4 or 5, where I just kept screwing up or getting blindsided by an rear end in a top hat criting me. I don't mind that there's that many, because I'd like that safety net, but I wonder how many people use like 8 much less all 13.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Deified Data posted:

I was actually starting to suspect it was Claude, who twice throughout the game conveniently disappeared when the Flame Emperor had been on screen, even being conspicuously called out for it by his fellow GD's. What was up with that? Just an obvious red herring?

That happens with all the house leaders in their routes, so it's definitely trying to push you into thinking that.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Sydin posted:

It's a pretty easy mystery to unravel on the BL route if you're paying attention to the dialogue. Sylvain likes to rib Dimitri about an embarrassing childhood story where he gifted a dagger to Edelgard when they were separated as kids and then in a later scene where the Flame Emperor has just left the area Dimitri finds a dagger on the ground and flips out for a second before telling Byleth it's nothing.

Hell, you don't even need to be paying all that close attention: Yeah, Sylvain brings it up in his support with Dimitri, but Dimitri himself literally explicitly tells you the dagger gift matter in the scene after the December ball... right before the dagger finding scene.

Like, if you don't realize what's up after that scene, you have to be literally sleepwalking through the dialogue.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

rannum posted:

Has anyone used all 13 of those pulses, by the way? The most I've used in a single battle is probably about 4 or 5, where I just kept screwing up or getting blindsided by an rear end in a top hat criting me. I don't mind that there's that many, because I'd like that safety net, but I wonder how many people use like 8 much less all 13.

I used 9 on the last battle of the Edelgard route of BE.

Otherwise the highest I used was like 3

Heart Attacks
Jun 17, 2012

That's how it works for magical girls.

Super No Vacancy posted:

yes or possible A-ranks could just be listed like lost items. some people probably also care if they are romantic or aromantic but w/e

to be honest i couldn't find any source about what the support options are except for male and female byleth, and one screenshot of an excel sheet on IGN

if i get my hands on like a list or chart that is easy to reference and work with though this seems like it'd be cool to add

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

rannum posted:

Getting divine pulses back from rest would be great, since it'd also throw another wrinkle into going to battles on weekends since that'd be another avenue for using up your store of pulses. I think at that point it'd be totally fine to have up to 13, even, since those pulses need to last you unless you rest.

Normal mode can continue having it refresh after every battle though, it'd fit with normal mode having the free battles. The little extra thing for those that need it.

I used 11 pulses in the final map of Lions on hard, because that map feels custom made to turn small mistakes into a death every time

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I really liked the BL finale map because it seemed like the devs expected you to charge Dimitri right down the guts because up until now he's been a map solo'ing wrecking ball, and doing so will get him slaughtered by long range siege magic.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

cheetah7071 posted:

I used 11 pulses in the final map of Lions on hard, because that map feels custom made to turn small mistakes into a death every time

The trick is going through the left to avoid the rear end in a top hat named siege mage whose tome bring anyone down to 1HP.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Zore posted:

You would need to tone down their overall lethality in that case. The way enemies are balanced, having the map rush you down would make a lot of maps pretty much impossible since enemy offenses are so high and they will gleefully murder anyone who is unfortunate enough to trigger 2+ of them

Fire Emblem Heroes has shown that those sorts of maps are perfectly beatable, even if the average enemy unit can ORKO most of your units and outnumbers you. Heroes has also shown that most players hate these sorts of maps like the devil, complaining that it's absolute bullshit and fake difficulty.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Miftan posted:

The trick is going through the left to avoid the rear end in a top hat named siege mage whose tome bring anyone down to 1HP.

That section wasn't even the problem. It caught me once so one of the eleven uses was from that. The real problem on that map is mages randomly having meteor on their list and me not noticing because the entire map is a threatened zone, and enemy war masters who are so powerful I have literally nobody who can tank them plus something else in the same turn.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Chocolate Bunny posted:

Spoiler: Sadly we don't get to kill him but he does get placed under house arrest by Edelgard... I like to think she has him tied to a chair all day so he knows how it feels

id like to think on Golden Deer when Bernie brings it up after the fight in the capital that Claude and Byleth agreed to her request to kick him out of the continent

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

golden bubble posted:

Fire Emblem Heroes has shown that those sorts of maps are perfectly beatable, even if the average enemy unit can ORKO most of your units and outnumbers you. Heroes has also shown that most players hate these sorts of maps like the devil, complaining that it's absolute bullshit and fake difficulty.

Those maps also take like 30 seconds to do instead of up to an hour

Andrast fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 14, 2019

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Deified Data posted:

A lot of us who saw it coming played the BE route and had Edelgard's C+ support, where she talks about her crest

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

golden bubble posted:

I like Heroes maps. As Andrast said, they only work because they're short.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

cheetah7071 posted:

That section wasn't even the problem. It caught me once so one of the eleven uses was from that. The real problem on that map is mages randomly having meteor on their list and me not noticing because the entire map is a threatened zone, and enemy war masters who are so powerful I have literally nobody who can tank them plus something else in the same turn.

Oh yeah the meteors got me more than 5 times as well because they always targeted the same person and the range on them is massive. I ended up leaving Mercedes at the map entry so she wouldn't die instantly to siege magic.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Miftan posted:

I just divided my units into two groups, one taking the left route and one taking the right route. Then in the end they met in the middle. I took out the long range mage guy by letting him deplete his big spell with Ingrid parked at the edge of his range.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Second playthrough gonna be BE Edelgard route, with a Falcon Knight Byleth

I kinda wish they made Byleth more of a blank slate skills-wise and just let you pick your specialties.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Despera posted:

I need a "Feel the Bern" Bernadette tag.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

id like to think on Golden Deer when Bernie brings it up after the fight in the capital that Claude and Byleth agreed to her request to kick him out of the continent

I assume they must because she takes over her house in a lot of her ending sides, so her dad must be out of the picture.

Deified Data posted:

I kinda wish they made Byleth more of a blank slate skills-wise and just let you pick your specialties.

Yeah, I agree. I get them always having sword proficiency because you always get the Sword of the Creator, and there's a strong reason for the Faith budding talent, but being able to customize your proficiencies beyond that would be cool.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

cheetah7071 posted:

I like Heroes maps. As Andrast said, they only work because they're short.

Is it worth playing? I know getting into a gacha game is a death sentence for your time/wallet but I've always wondered about games like that, F/GO and GranBlue.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Eimi posted:

Is it worth playing? I know getting into a gacha game is a death sentence for your time/wallet but I've always wondered about games like that, F/GO and GranBlue.

FEH is a pretty decent mini-fire emblem. If that sounds like something for you and you don't have any trouble with gambling compulsions, give it a shot and see how you like it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Eimi posted:

I just use it as a time waster at work and it's fine for that.

don't play ha ha games if you are the kind of person who is tempted to spend mo he on them though

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Sydin posted:

Hi it’s me I’m the person who didn’t get that Edelgard was the Flame Emperor after that. I find myself falling for eliminating characters because of mismatched gender all the time because I’m an idiot. I read people saying that the Flame Emperor’s voice sounded weird to them but I couldn’t hear anything that strange under the reverb so I didn’t even catch it was pitch shifted.

I just assumed that they stole the dagger and planted it to make Dimitri try and kill Edelgard. :downs:

It’s me, I’m the person the brain dead mysteries in this game are for.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

I assume they must because she takes over her house in a lot of her ending sides, so her dad must be out of the picture.

It was a terrible accident where he fell down the stairs and somehow got multiple daggers in the back on the way down

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Andrast posted:

It was a terrible accident where he fell down the stairs and somehow got multiple daggers in the back on the way down

He dies of dark magic burns that he got from reading a tome of it next to a gigantic pitcher plant that slowly ate him. Just a tragic accident.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Eimi posted:

He dies of dark magic burns that he got from reading a tome of it next to a gigantic pitcher plant that slowly ate him. Just a tragic accident.

They never found out what "Ferdinand von Aegir was here!" painted in Count Varley's blood was either.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I completely missed the dark seals in my first run, and from reading online, it seems like its basically impossible, barring insane luck, to get them without prior knowledge. Which sucks cos I had plans to make Hubert a dark mage and was really looking forward to it. "The shop will start selling dark seals soon! I just know! Any day now!"
You get a cool sword and the death knight challenges you to fight him, with your cool new sword. It's also not out of the realm of possibility that you have Sylvain at that point, who has a cool new lance.

I'm saying it's really not hard to stumble into them. They're not some secret knowledge, they're a reward for actually killing your enemies :black101:

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Disable damage prediction, disable the red target lines. That would make it way more difficult and make your pulses mean more.
lmao no
the red target lines means you don't have to click on each enemy to figure out where their attack range is (because zR just highlights everything making the battlefield nonsensical)
never advocate for bringing back removed tedium

hopeandjoy posted:

Hi it’s me I’m the person who didn’t get that Edelgard was the Flame Emperor after that. I find myself falling for eliminating characters because of mismatched gender all the time because I’m an idiot. I read people saying that the Flame Emperor’s voice sounded weird to them but I couldn’t hear anything that strange under the reverb so I didn’t even catch it was pitch shifted.

I just assumed that they stole the dagger and planted it to make Dimitri try and kill Edelgard. :downs:

It’s me, I’m the person the brain dead mysteries in this game are for.

:hfive:
on later routes, it's super obvious who the Flame Emperor is, but my brain apparently just immediately tuned out any foreshadowing. It made the dramatic reveal way cooler!

Andrast posted:

the authorities can't figure out how he managed to commit suicide by shooting himself with an arrow, but they're certainly not going to rule it out
he even left a note saying how cool and great his daughter is, such a shame

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Despera posted:

I need a "Feel the Bern" Bernadette tag.

I need a picture of Bernie with her "three houses" for an extra deep cut that only a dwindlingly small subset of FE and Sanders people will get

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
tbqh you should be able to side against the church on every route

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

indigi posted:

tbqh you should be able to side against the church on every route

Honestly it seems like Claude just ends up on the Church's side out of inertia, and he really could be convinced to join Edelgard if they had one good conversation.