Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Zzulu posted:

Does Amercia still not regulate supplements properly?

I think they do, but the agencies just don't have the manpower to handle all the supplement companies that shill their poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

there is actually an episode of the greg nuckols podcast that goes into supplement regulation in the US

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/podcast-episode-4/

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

There's both in the US it's just that getting something approved for human consumption that isn't classified as food or a drug is stupid easy ( "it's safe we promise we looked into it") and there's no enforcement into the banned substances.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I bought that fake protein and actually got a bunch stronger using it but also got fat hey no surprise there.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

bomb posted:

So dumb gym mat drama is done now and they featured me on their instagram as the "kettlebell king"

I'm the only one that uses them so I guess its true?

This made up story is just a long as con to get us to call you "your majesty" isn't it?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
What's the best protein powder? Last time I checked it was optimum nutrition whey so I got some of that a couple of weeks ago.

I feel less like I'm going to die so I'm going to go and do the same stuff again in gym and try to get my form better before I start increasing weights. Looks like I wasn't just doing the squat wrong. The press is surprisingly complicated according to Rippa Toe.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

redreader posted:

What's the best protein powder? Last time I checked it was optimum nutrition whey so I got some of that a couple of weeks ago.

I feel less like I'm going to die so I'm going to go and do the same stuff again in gym and try to get my form better before I start increasing weights. Looks like I wasn't just doing the squat wrong. The press is surprisingly complicated according to Rippa Toe.

Myself and a lot of other people use MyProtein, ON is a safe bet but you're paying a premium for the brand and as long as whey protein is actually whey protein and not a complete scam, it's all the same, there's no "best".

I think Starting Strength is the best way to learn how to lift outside of a very good 1-on-1 personal coach and you should follow his advice on the technique of the lifts. However, they are one of many correct ways to do the lifts, not the single dogmatic correct way as Rippetoe claims. You don't need to think about that really, just don't be an rear end in a top hat quoting Rippetoe at people who squat differently because you got caught up in his dogma.

Don't follow his diet advice unless you want to get fat. And his programming advice doesn't work for very long unless you are willing to get fat. You'll be able to add weight to the bar without thinking about programming for a while, but unless you're actually drinking a gallon of milk a day like he suggests, you won't be able to add 15lbs to your squat every week.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Everything is insanely complicated and at any given moment during a lift your entire skeleton could collapse and explode

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I'm already fat! And thanks for the protein advice. Yes, it is pretty expensive. I'll look at that other brand.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Zzulu posted:

Everything is insanely complicated and at any given moment during a lift your entire skeleton could collapse and explode

don't worry a chiro can push your bones back into place

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

redreader posted:

I'm already fat! And thanks for the protein advice. Yes, it is pretty expensive. I'll look at that other brand.

MyProtein's running a pretty good sale right now- the last few times I've bought in has been right about here. 11lbs for $58 USD

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Zzulu posted:

Yeah my l1 ruptured already from rugby then got worse when I increased my deadlift 'too much' one time. So it's funny and everything but also true. I actually care about how to lift properly because I know what happens if I don't ( I assume I wasn't since my back got hosed up). Not even sure I can increase my deadlift to like, 200 without loving up my back again. We'll see!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Omnikin posted:

MyProtein's running a pretty good sale right now- the last few times I've bought in has been right about here. 11lbs for $58 USD

Yeah gonna echo MyProtein.com

I’m just finishing that 60 lbs I got back when they had that crazy sale.

I wish that their flavors were a little better but I’ll take their price to quality ratio.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Omnikin posted:

Anyone tried their plant-based stuff? Trying to move away from cow products besides local milk.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

nooneofconsequence posted:

Anyone tried their plant-based stuff? Trying to move away from cow products besides local milk.

I know someone posted about it but I’m not sure if it was thread or the other one.

Not bad but not great? I remember one of them being terrible (pea?) though.

They might be worth a second look though because I know they are always tweaking their products so it could be better now.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

feelix posted:

Myself and a lot of other people use MyProtein, ON is a safe bet but you're paying a premium for the brand and as long as whey protein is actually whey protein and not a complete scam, it's all the same, there's no "best".

I think Starting Strength is the best way to learn how to lift outside of a very good 1-on-1 personal coach and you should follow his advice on the technique of the lifts. However, they are one of many correct ways to do the lifts, not the single dogmatic correct way as Rippetoe claims. You don't need to think about that really, just don't be an rear end in a top hat quoting Rippetoe at people who squat differently because you got caught up in his dogma.

Don't follow his diet advice unless you want to get fat. And his programming advice doesn't work for very long unless you are willing to get fat. You'll be able to add weight to the bar without thinking about programming for a while, but unless you're actually drinking a gallon of milk a day like he suggests, you won't be able to add 15lbs to your squat every week.

The gallon of milk thing is meant for teenagers who struggle to put on weight, right? And the "starting" in Starting Strength means like the first month or three months of your lifting career, before you get into more complex programming. Those two things are always what people complain about unnecessarily, instead of the things about him that you could legitimately complain about. It is a good, simple program though, but there are a couple of those around.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ovenboy posted:

The gallon of milk thing is meant for teenagers who struggle to put on weight, right?

Yes good god yes.

If you are an adult looking to put on weight there are much better ways as well.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

ovenboy posted:

The gallon of milk thing is meant for teenagers who struggle to put on weight, right? And the "starting" in Starting Strength means like the first month or three months of your lifting career, before you get into more complex programming. Those two things are always what people complain about unnecessarily, instead of the things about him that you could legitimately complain about. It is a good, simple program though, but there are a couple of those around.

When I was in my late 20's (years ago) I used the Arnold book for lifting and it worked pretty well even though I only lifted 3x/week (I think he said to do it 5 or 6 times, I was like 'lol no' ) and only did 3 sets of everything (I think he said 4) and I didn't really worry about eating right too much. like I ate fine but didn't eat enough protein. It definitely improved my physique a whole lot just from doing it for about a year.

I didn't do squats though because every time I did squats my back was sore the next couple of days. I thought it was from my rugby injury but I think I was just doing them wrong. Arnold's book had like 1-2 pages max on each lift. Rippetoe has like 30 pages on each lift and a lot more advice. From turning my toes out during squats when I started his stuff on Sunday I noticed a huge difference compared to my previous squats. I was able to use different muscles to stand up. like instead of mostly pushing with my glutes I could straighten my knees to get up. Not sure if I'm still doing it wrong (I'm sure I am!) but yeah.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

There is a form check thread in YLLS take a video and see!

If you don’t have someone watching you / working out with you taking videos is an invaluable resource for you to watch what you are doing.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

just follow strong powerlifting ladies on Instagram and do what they do

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
SARMs are banned from competition but not ILLEGAL like other anabolics. Will they help me get salami gains?

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
If by salami gains you mean rampant cancer then yes.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

SARMs are banned from competition but not ILLEGAL like other anabolics. Will they help me get salami gains?

Maybe?

Honestly it’s not worth the risk. Just get some testosterone.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

MA-Horus posted:

My gym is now charging trainers that don't put their poo poo away after they're done with clients

gently caress yes. Lay down the law.

A gym i worked out at for a while used to make you do a burpee for every pound of equipment you left out before you were allowed to work out again. Apparently someone forgot to unload a 315lb barbell once...

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

crossfit is the ultimate punishment

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

canadianclassic posted:

A gym i worked out at for a while used to make you do a burpee for every pound of equipment you left out before you were allowed to work out again. Apparently someone forgot to unload a 315lb barbell once...

lol my muay thai gym makes you do 100 switch-kicks if you complain about how hot it is in the building, records it and puts it on instagram #firstworldproblems

Only trainers are getting the surcharge, as there are a select few that just will not loving unload poo poo or put poo poo away. barbells, benches, dumbbells...it's downright silly.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
My gym put up a sign that threatens to cancel your membership on the spot if you don't rerack your poo poo. I think they've followed through a few times now

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

redreader posted:

In addition to everyone else's recommendations, I buy Target's house brand whey, 24g protein/scoop and since it has a nutritional label, I can buy it with food stamps.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

My gym makes you do wall sits if you don't put your program sheet back in the box. Mostly so us idiots don't misplace it.

CostCo sometimes has ON on sale. Cheaper than full price I guess.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I should probably look into Sam's Club (I steal my dad's membership card) and see what protein they offer- but really, MyProtein does enough sales at a steep enough discount that you can stay topped up there if you like their product

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.

canadianclassic posted:

There's a fitness couple that could use this at my gym who will happily do clean and jerks and deadlifts before walking away and leaving all of their plates and a loaded barbell on the floor.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ElectricSheep posted:

There's a fitness couple that could use this at my gym who will happily do clean and jerks and deadlifts before walking away and leaving all of their plates and a loaded barbell on the floor.

Shameful.

For the most part my gym is pretty good but people don’t put the weights back on right sometimes and that’s annoying but almost no one leaves bars out.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

I deal with this poo poo at my gym daily.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

itskage posted:

This made up story is just a long as con to get us to call you "your majesty" isn't it?

yes

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Big Bizness posted:

I see this poo poo all the time too, and try to correct as I'm loading/unloading.

Thankfully I work out at an athletic club full of old lawyers and moneyed widows and none of them can lift any significant weight so only the 2.5/5/10s are hosed up.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

I’m curious about what sort of fashion ya’ll emulate outside of wearing tanks and comfy pants/shorts?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

bomb posted:

I’m curious about what sort of fashion ya’ll emulate outside of wearing tanks and comfy pants/shorts?

All my gym clothes are now provided for me, so baggy shorts and tshirt and my red chucks. I call it "How do you do, fellow children?"

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

T-shirt and shorts that I grabbed for cheap at a sporting goods store and bright red Chucks.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Big Bizness posted:

I hate this poo poo so much. They are different sizes and some of them are even color coded, why do you make me dig through 18000 pounds of poo poo to get at the plate I want. I'd rather you just leave all your poo poo out.

Also someone keeps dragging a single 2.5 plate to various corners far away from all the other 2.5s. I can't figure out what you would do with 1 2.5 plate. My gym may have gnomes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

bomb posted:

Austin 3:16 cut off and Wine em Dine em Sixty Nine em trucker hat