Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

School of How posted:

If you're rejecting so many people, then you really don't need a new developer. If you truly needed a new developer, you'd actually hire one instead of wasting everyone's time.
I've done engineering hiring for 3 growth phase startups over the last ~4 years and for every one of those companies we made offers to everyone we found who was qualified (and many people who weren't but we thought we could train). Depending on the position, we'd need to interview between 8 and more than 20 candidates to find 1 person we were willing to make an offer to. It's not because those companies didn't badly need engineers, it's that most people trying to get engineering jobs are just not qualified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market

wins32767 posted:

it's that most people trying to get engineering jobs are just not qualified.

This is a ludicrous statement. Whether it's true or not you have to admit it's completely ludicrous. This is something I've heard many people say, but I've never seen anyone prove it. I've never heard a hospital manager say that the majority of doctors they interview can't use a stethoscope. Or a manager of a mechanic shop say that the majority of mechanics they interview don't know how to hold a screwdriver. Or a newspaper editor say that the majority of writers they interview can't write above a 1st grade level... I want someone to video record an interview with one of these programmers that don't have basic abilities. At the very least there has to be more to the story than what is lead on.

I'm reminded of the phone interview I did with Amazon a few years ago. The interviewer asked me to write code to implement a "workflow". I asked him what he meant by "workflow". His response was "A workflow is the thing I want you to write code to implement". I replied "Yes, but you have to explain to me what a workflow is". He then said "Your manager asked you to implement a workflow, so show me how you would code this up". No matter how many times I asked him to clarify what he wanted me to write, he wouldn't clarify. In that instance I may have been counted in that "90% of developers can't code" statistic, but any developer in that situation wouldn't be able to code up a workflow either.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Can everyone ignore and move on? He's clearly feeding off the attention.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I've witnessed people on video interviews lip syncing answers spoken by someone else off camera.
People incapable of FizzBuzz.
People with jobs right now that barely understand variables.

Titles are fake, experience on paper is unreliable.

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

Gildiss posted:

I've witnessed people on video interviews lip syncing answers spoken by someone else off camera.
People incapable of FizzBuzz.
People with jobs right now that barely understand variables.

Titles are fake, experience on paper is unreliable.

Do you have a link to one of these videos?

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

School of How posted:

This is a ludicrous statement. Whether it's true or not you have to admit it's completely ludicrous. This is something I've heard many people say, but I've never seen anyone prove it. I've never heard a hospital manager say that the majority of doctors they interview can't use a stethoscope. Or a manager of a mechanic shop say that the majority of mechanics they interview don't know how to hold a screwdriver. Or a newspaper editor say that the majority of writers they interview can't write above a 1st grade level... I want someone to video record an interview with one of these programmers that don't have basic abilities. At the very least there has to be more to the story than what is lead on.

Software jobs are now very high paying (unlike journalists) and there is no certification (unlike doctors or mechanics). This attracts unqualified candidates in droves. As an example, I don't think I've ever hired anyone from an inbound application. At one of the companies I worked for (which had a hiring brand of paying top dollar) we ran the numbers and there were 0 successful candidates out of ~600 inbound applications in around a 18 months. Most of them get filtered out at the resume or recruiter screen stage but some of them are at least somewhat proficient; a couple of them even made it to on-sites before we said no.

Another large proportion of candidates that get filtered out are engineers who can write code, but can't write good, maintainable code or can't do it beyond the level of a method. I've failed out multiple candidates with >10 years of experience who couldn't come up with reasonable ways to divide responsibilities between classes on pretty basic problems or couldn't talk intelligently about a system of reasonable complexity that they'd built. If you've worked for 10 years and haven't learned how to design classes the odds are high I won't be able to train you into it.

Those two make up most of the technical skill failures, but communication problems, unwillingness to listen to other people's opinions and accept feedback, and generally being an rear end in a top hat also disqualifies another substantial fraction of candidates.

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

wins32767 posted:

Another large proportion of candidates that get filtered out are engineers who can write code, but can't write good, maintainable code or can't do it beyond the level of a method. I've failed out multiple candidates with >10 years of experience who couldn't come up with reasonable ways to divide responsibilities between classes on pretty basic problems or couldn't talk intelligently about a system of reasonable complexity that they'd built. If you've worked for 10 years and haven't learned how to design classes the odds are high I won't be able to train you into it.

The problem is that "good maintainable code" is completely subjective. One man's "good maintainable code" is another man's spaghetti code. A lot of times the term "good maintainable code" really just means "writes code exactly how I write code" (Note: the "I" here refers the person who is defining whether the code is good and maintainable). I think this comes from the fact that it's very common for developers to have an impossible time reading other people's code. Obviously using that definition, literally zero out of 600 will write "good maintainable code". This doesn't mean the market is flooded with incompetent developers, it just means you are overly picky.

If i was hiring a developer I wouldn't give a poo poo if they write code exactly how I write code, because I have the apparently rare ability to read other people's code. It's a skill that I've learned over the years from having to read a lot of other people's code. All I would care about is that they can maintain their own code. I'd find this out by looking at their github account, and then asking them questions about it.

School of How fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 15, 2019

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Good thing you'll never be in a position to hire a developer, thanks to how terrible a person you are!

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.
It's a good job "people" can just be treated as replaceable units and all job-related tasks are basically identical else you'd have a hard time getting a job I guess.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

School of How posted:

The problem is that "good maintainable code" is completely subjective.

Google "Law of Demeter"

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.

School of How posted:

The problem is that "good maintainable code" is completely subjective. One man's "good maintainable code" is another man's spaghetti code.

The fact that you think this explains why you’re not able to get a job, and it has nothing to do with the state of the market.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

School of How posted:

The problem is that "good maintainable code" is completely subjective.

I've got Martin Fowler holding on line 2, he sounds angry

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

School of How posted:

You can put me, or any other senior developer on any team and we'll be productive.

You are not a senior developer and I you would be best off becoming a certified plumber.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

I can believe that how would believe he was productive.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

prisoner of waffles posted:

I would hope we return to our regularly-scheduled Oldie thread

I tried with my AWS interview stuff, god drat I tried. I even started a slight derail from the shite that is continuing to unfold.

Has anyone done the Amazon/AWS on site "loops" anyhow? That's where i'm at, 6 hours of interviews...

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
Do you guys think that the junior-mid-senior scale is going to be changing (in an actually noticable way) at some point in the future? The idea that somebody with 5 years of experience is a "senior developer" in a whole lot of companies is totally nuts.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

FMguru posted:

Yeah, you can be friendly with management, but you can't ever really be friends.

Again, this not an absolute certainty, I have remained good friends with every boss I've had.

Edit: maybe it's a cultural thing, I'm from Australia

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

sunaurus posted:

Do you guys think that the junior-mid-senior scale is going to be changing (in an actually noticable way) at some point in the future? The idea that somebody with 5 years of experience is a "senior developer" in a whole lot of companies is totally nuts.

How many years should it be? Or are you suggesting more that there should some other measure instead of just time? I'm with you there

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

How many years should it be? Or are you suggesting more that there should some other measure instead of just time? I'm with you there

I don't know what the measure should be, I don't even really care about what actual titles people use, I'm just a bit confused at how the scale can be so short (at least at every place I've ever worked and most places I've ever interviewed at) that you reach the "highest level" after just 5 years as a professional.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

isn't principal above senior? and i see staff or distinguished at some places

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

My current company is "flat" until you get to team lead/management level. Junior, mid, senior is all the same title. It can be confusing but also developers love them titles!

Also I've always had a great relationship with my boss accross the 5 places i've worked, but i'm in the UK so maybe it is a uniquely USA thing to want to strangle them...

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.

Cancelbot posted:

I tried with my AWS interview stuff, god drat I tried. I even started a slight derail from the shite that is continuing to unfold.

Has anyone done the Amazon/AWS on site "loops" anyhow? That's where i'm at, 6 hours of interviews...

Congrats on getting to the on-site!

I’ve been on a lot of on-site loops lately, but only for SDEs. It’s worth practicing your whiteboarding though. Other than that my advice is the same as before.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

sunaurus posted:

At my current place its a symptom of our parent company being too controlling over salaries and refusing to expand salary ranges. So it gets to a point where our mid levels cannot receive any higher salaries so instead get given promotions to senior.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

School of How posted:

Do you have a link to one of these videos?

It's a video interview. Like, on Skype. It's not going to be on Youtube.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnTCGR0Mq2w
but I am aware searching the internet is HARD.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Senior seems to generally just be used as a term for 'has been around a while' - but that's the nature of no standard industry certification process, I guess.

My spicy take on this is a discussion with a newly hired 'senior' who made the argument that we should avoid using anything in the project that hadn't been taught to the various team members in school. Like....LINQ. A cornerstone feature of our use language for over a decade.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Welcome to professional programming. Where the titles are made up and the points don't matter.

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.

Cancelbot posted:

Also I've always had a great relationship with my boss accross the 5 places i've worked, but i'm in the UK so maybe it is a uniquely USA thing to want to strangle them...

I dunno if it's US-specific (I'm UK based). I've had great relationships with all but one of my bosses (and he's the reason I'm not still there, I definitely wanted to strangle him), and have stayed friends. I just think, y'know, be careful of your actions if they impact people who hold power over you/have slightly different incentives in a work context (rather than a friendship context). That power dynamic is completely situation dependent, so different situations might mean there's no reason to be guarded, but a lot of the time it's just sensible

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.
FFS, post is not edit

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cuntpunch posted:

My spicy take on this is a discussion with a newly hired 'senior' who made the argument that we should avoid using anything in the project that hadn't been taught to the various team members in school. Like....LINQ. A cornerstone feature of our use language for over a decade.

Uh, that's a pretty strange take! I mean LINQ didn't exist until 9 years after I graduated (and my degree is in history, so it's not like I'd have been taught it anyway; it's not much use in explicating the taifa kingdom period of mediaeval al-Andalus after all).

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Gildiss posted:

I honestly find this really impressive? Like how did they coordinate that?

Interview asks a question, candidate says, "Hmm let me think for a moment" while their buddy IM's them what words to mouth?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Cuntpunch posted:

Was that their literal take or were they aiming for the less objectionable "let’s stick largely to the parts of the language understood by the people here who write in it"?

Which I don’t totally agree with (people can learn!) but it has a kernel of truth.

i like how!!

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
My last company had a different person show up for the job on the first day than who they had interviewed. It was also quite clear that the person would take tasks in the day and have someone else do them. It'd be different if we wanted to outsource our work overseas, but we didn't want to do any of that and needed someone in this timezone that actually could contribute in person to discussions.

Haven't ever heard of this kind of outright fraud happen in lower paying industries but tech is in a bad position of needing lots of people, there's a massive amount of money available, and things are pretty broken as an industry.

Sab669 posted:

Interview asks a question, candidate says, "Hmm let me think for a moment" while their buddy IM's them what words to mouth?
With mixer software, he can speak the answers while the person in front of the camera repeats what he said synced in real-time (if he's paying the guy enough). This is much easier to be convincing with ESL speakers versus native speakers whatever your language. Gotta admit, if you can convince enough people over a Skype interview that someone else's answers are your own and do it reliably you may have some reasonable talent doing.... something... just not programming necessarily.

The lengths people go to cheat and defraud others is pretty fascinating to me because it's ingenious in its own way and oftentimes I'd think it's easier to just do honest work with those skills than to try to con people. It's not like it takes no time or money to lie and cheat.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How has made the fatal mistake of thinking that whoever writes code will be the only person who ever maintains it.

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

yay for protoss being so simple that retards can win with it
Someone already posted this earlier about individual contributor and going up the chain there vs. management.

In an ideal environment senior, lead, principle are all terms that signify impact: at the team, group and company level respectively.

It has nothing to do with years in the role. Does the work you’re doing impact your whole team? Do you set direction, take on the critical code paths, mentor other members, write the majority of design documents? Keep expanding that to your product group and your company.

There are some developers who will never make senior, regardless of their years on the job. Not for a lack of technical skills, they prefer to write lots of code and not take on the rest of the responsibilities. For those that contribute breakthroughs, major patents or other engineering only achievements there’s usually some distinguished engineer or title that gives you the financial awards but keeps the people aspect away.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

sunaurus posted:

I don't know what the measure should be, I don't even really care about what actual titles people use, I'm just a bit confused at how the scale can be so short (at least at every place I've ever worked and most places I've ever interviewed at) that you reach the "highest level" after just 5 years as a professional.

Senior developer is definitely not the highest level, but I get what you're saying now, thanks for clarifying. I think it really depends where you work, as others have said. Senior developer often just means "knows the code base well and can be somewhat of a go-to guy for the team". Lead/Principle Developer I think is usually more distinctly different role-wise and I think would usually require longer than 5 years. You make more decisions on behalf of the team and you guide the technical aspects more.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

rsjr posted:

There are some developers who will never make senior, regardless of their years on the job.

Hell, one guy I had on my previous team will never even graduate from junior level, imo.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I tend to see two types of programmer. In the first group are those with some level of ambition: they teach themselves new things, try to understand problems, try to do the same things in better ways than they've done them before. The second group contains stagnant programmers, those who learned enough to do a particular job and then stopped trying to get better.

I feel like probably 3/4 programmers are in the stagnant category, but we don't hear from them as often because you have to have some level of ambition to do things like discuss your software career on a forum. I sure have seen them at work, though, and I can't escape them.

spiritual bypass fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 15, 2019

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

rt4 posted:

I tend to see two types of programmer. In the first group are those with some level ambition: they teach themselves new things, try to understand problems, try to do the same things in better ways than they've done them before. The second group contains stagnant programmers, those who learned enough to do a particular job and then stopped trying to get better.

I feel like probably 3/4 programmers are in the stagnant category, but we don't hear from them as often because you have to have some level of ambition to do things like discuss your software career on a forum. I sure have seen them at work, though, and I can't escape them.

I definitely feel myself creeping towards the latter. Its hard to stay enthusiastic about programming when you do it 8 hours a day 5 days a week. I'm not starting to dislike my job or anything, but when I get home I find myself wanting to do anything as long as its not programmer related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

I definitely feel myself creeping towards the latter. Its hard to stay enthusiastic about programming when you do it 8 hours a day 5 days a week. I'm not starting to dislike my job or anything, but when I get home I find myself wanting to do anything as long as its not programmer related.

I don't think he was talking about people like you, that's pretty normal behaviour. He was talking about people who refuse to try anything new at work or refuse to do something outside their comfort zone for fear that they might actually learn something new.