Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

MikeJF posted:

There was also a space for a little officer's lounge right under the bridge called two-forward!

Don't worry, we'll be able to visit both it and the deck twelve lounge in the Stage Nine virtual enterpr- oh. Never mind.

Love 2 go up two half-height steps while looking out the window and carrying my drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

Love 2 go up two half-height steps while looking out the window and carrying my drink.

In the 24th century we have evolved beyond clumsiness.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
I dunno an officer's lounge sounds a little bougie for starfleet, imo, and a captain's yacht very much so.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I dunno an officer's lounge sounds a little bougie for starfleet, imo, and a captain's yacht very much so.

The Captain's Yacht was going to be used for things like diplomatic events and to bring alien ambassadors aboard and things.

They wrote it into a script doing that once and then were like 'lol we're not spending money on effects or sets for that' and changed the script to say 'diplomatic shuttle' (looks identical to regular shuttle)

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

The officer's lounge is just a regular lounge, but O'brien's not allowed in.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Data's painting is making me dizzy.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Knowing what we do of crew complements on a typical Starfleet vessel, an Officer's Lounge would be 8x the size of the Crew Lounge...

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The Crew Lounge is what O’Brien calls that little nook in the transporter room where he stashes his booze.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nah it's that room up in the warp nacelles that you have to climb through like 300m of tubes to get to.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

See also the Generations version of the Enterprise bridge, which is an absolute OHS nightmare.

[img]

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
What was supposed to be in those areas before the film? It was all beige panels with lights on.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That’s James Cawley, the guy from New Voyages. The pedo idiot is Vic Mignogna from Star Trek Continues, who also did/does a bunch of anime voice acting.

Oh you mean the guy who voiced Broly last year. Yeah I heard about that, had no idea he had a trek connection at all.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Crew Lounge is what O’Brien calls that little nook in the transporter room where he stashes his booze.

Funny how we just know he's the type to do this but at no point did he think to put a chair in there.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HorseLord posted:

Oh you mean the guy who voiced Broly last year. Yeah I heard about that, had no idea he had a trek connection at all.

Yeah, Mignona has long been known to be scum, and he did Star Trek Continues, basically because he wanted to cosplay as Kirk. It also had the derpiest-looking Spock in history.

James Cawley is the guy who worked closely with Paramount and CBS with Phase II / New Voyages, and befriended Bill Theiss to the extent that Theiss bequeathed original costume patterns and fabric swatches to Cawley in his will. He's the one who operates the bridge set as an official museum.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

See also the Generations version of the Enterprise bridge, which is an absolute OHS nightmare.

Yeah in an ideal world they would've widened the set but they were clearly limited by how much they were willing to rebuild. Still, they should've set the side consoles further in, had the seats entirely under the overhang maybe.

HorseLord posted:

What was supposed to be in those areas before the film? It was all beige panels with lights on.

Equipment lockers, circuit access, etc. The panels all open.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I love the Generations bridge! The extra consoles make it feel like the Movie bridges instead of the oversized beige cockpit.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MikeJF posted:

Yeah in an ideal world they would've widened the set but they were clearly limited by how much they were willing to rebuild.

It was also a matter of time. They only had about two, two and a half weeks to remodel the TNG sets because that's when they were shooting the prologue and doing some second-unit shooting (and Zimmerman was busy loving up Stellar Cartography's initial build-out).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zurui posted:

I love the Generations bridge! The extra consoles make it feel like the Movie bridges instead of the oversized beige cockpit.

Oh yeah I love it but it is clearly way too cramped. A bridge that was properly done with side consoles from the ground up would've been amazing.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The TNG bridge suffers a bit from being an extremely 4:3 tv design, in that you can see everyone and everything from a head-on shot at the expense of any significant detail on the sides. The Generations bridge is an improvement but, as someone already said, it’s just too cramped.

Just talking tv bridges in general, I think the Defiant is still the best example. It’s cramped in a way that fits the overall design of the ship, but they did a good job of almost always making sure there was someone or something in the background of each shot, which makes it feel like a real workspace.

Voyager’s bridge looks both way too wide and super shallow, with Kim and Tuvok practically in different rooms and Paris in a ditch four feet in front of Janeway. And then behind the captain/XO seats you just have an empty wall of okudagrams that are clearly meant to be Voyager’s version of the TNG science stations, but no one’s ever standing there (aside from the handful of times Seven stood at that lovely little railing panel in the later seasons).

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
I like how Keogh smacked down Dax when she asked if he had evacuated nonessential personnel.

The Odyssey did all the things that the Enterprise would have. Like modulate shield frequencies etc etc.
I'll be charitable and assume that the torpedo launchers were disabled. The return fire was rather limp, as if Riker were in charge.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
Both Voyager and the Ent-E had horrific bridges. What was the obsession with making everyone stand up all day in a dimly lit room? Discovery is even worse with all the dead space everywhere.

I know they were trying to make each ship distinct but they just don't work, on camera or as actual work environments.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The Enterprise E's bridge was pieced together from all the other Bridges, the poor thing was never going to look good

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

HorseLord posted:

Funny how we just know he's the type to do this but at no point did he think to put a chair in there.

he's the transporter chief, figure it out

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
He's probably on the couch at home like "Computer, beam me to my job when someone is about to enter the room"

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Sad King Billy posted:

I like how Keogh smacked down Dax when she asked if he had evacuated nonessential personnel.

The Odyssey did all the things that the Enterprise would have. Like modulate shield frequencies etc etc.
I'll be charitable and assume that the torpedo launchers were disabled. The return fire was rather limp, as if Riker were in charge.

Well, the whole scene was about how the Jem'Hadar were just as competent as Starfleet (if not more), so it turns out they could target weapons on an enemy vessel just like the Enterprise (and other Starfleet ships) tended to. Wouldn't surprise me if that was one of their initial primary targets.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Sad King Billy posted:

Does not compute

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/adamdrosin/status/1162031187449171968
Now this is some prop work I can get behind

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Angry Salami posted:

The officer's lounge is just a regular lounge, but O'brien's not allowed in.

O'Brien has his regular spot in Ten Forward, gets on with anyone who comes in and asks them about their day as he drinks his few pints, but every so often the officers leave their lounge "for something different," start ordering fancy Romulan ale based cocktails that take five minutes to make, and tell loud overblown jokes about the bad service by the sun tan lotion girl on Risa and her audacity in expecting a tip. O'Brien is stuck between pride in waiting them out so he can have his beer or going home to Keiko.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Powered Descent posted:

Rick Sternbach, while designing Voyager, figured that there would be lots of use for a secondary craft, bigger and badder than a shuttle but a lot sleeker-looking than a stodgy old runabout. (But with a similar enough cockpit that it'd be possible to use the runabout interior sets with just a slight redress.) So he came up with the Aeroshuttle, and made sure it was visible on the model, docked in the underside of Voyager's saucer, captain's-yacht-style.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Aeroshuttle

And a few seasons in, the show runners did indeed decide that the crew should have just such a ship. So they... totally ignored the aeroshuttle and had them build the Delta Flyer.

Infinite screaming.

I did know about this one from someone mentioning it a while back. I guess the problem was probably that they didn't use it in a scene in the first episode or two. They could reuse a runabout interior but didn't have stock footage or a model to film of it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

HorseLord posted:

Both Voyager and the Ent-E had horrific bridges. What was the obsession with making everyone stand up all day in a dimly lit room? Discovery is even worse with all the dead space everywhere.

I know they were trying to make each ship distinct but they just don't work, on camera or as actual work environments.

At least Tuvok and Harry got decent seated workstations on Voyager. But yeah, the bridge wasn't great. Hey, it had dedicated seated science and engineering console stations, anyone remember them? Nope, because they're too far left and right to ever actually see. And Seven got a little console that was the size of an iPad. They should've renovated the bridge and put in another station.

The E was straight-up awful, I still have zero sense of the layout of the thing, and there's all these free-standing consoles scattered around. It just feels like random stuff scattered around a room.

I like the prometheus bridge. It's Yet Another Movie Bridge Redress but it's well-lit at least and they dropped the helm and ops down so the captain can see the screen and remembered to put in safety rails.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 15, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nullsmack posted:

Infinite screaming.

I did know about this one from someone mentioning it a while back. I guess the problem was probably that they didn't use it in a scene in the first episode or two. They could reuse a runabout interior but didn't have stock footage or a model to film of it.

The built a model and did some initial test footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhZ6D-PLssQ

But when time came to use it the producers said that the Captain's Yacht launch from the upcoming Insurrection was going to be too similar so they vetoed it so it wouldn't take away from that 'dramatic' scene. And then everyone forgot about it.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 15, 2019

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nullsmack posted:

Infinite screaming.

right but that's par for the course

the real dumbshit is that they then built the delta flyer which resources could have just gone to showing the aeroshuttle

im just frustrated how often Trek leaves cool poo poo off the screen when it's right there

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

MikeJF posted:

But when time came to use it the producers said that the Captain's Yacht launch from the upcoming Insurrection was going to be too similar so they vetoed it so it wouldn't take away from that 'dramatic' scene. And then everyone forgot about it.

Thanks for that scene. I didn't know that existed.
It sucks if the movie was the reason why they didn't use it.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That’s James Cawley, the guy from New Voyages. The pedo idiot is Vic Mignogna from Star Trek Continues, who also did/does a bunch of anime voice acting.

I've worked with James Cawley on a New Voyages episode. He's about as out there as anyone who is super into Trek but he seemed like a good guy to me. He was absolutely devastated about what happened with the fan films.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I didn't notice until bridgechat that the NX bridge is a widened Defiant redress.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

I didn't notice until bridgechat that the NX bridge is a widened Defiant redress.

It wasn't, actually, but they apparently took a lot of influence from the Defiant bridge because they liked the layout of it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MikeJF posted:

I had no idea they'd gone this far with the concept, that's awesome!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MikeJF posted:

It wasn't, actually, but they apparently took a lot of influence from the Defiant bridge because they liked the layout of it.

Really? The captain's chair and the area behind it, plus that turbolift door off to the side all look exactly like the Defiant to me. Weird they'd build it from scratch but have it laid out so similarly, I'd think it'd save time to redress. But maybe it would've been so much work to change the set that building a new one wasn't any more trouble.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

The Defiant's bridge got hacked up into any number of guest alien ship bridges after DS9 ended, in ENT I can remember they used the viewscreen for the Xindi reptile dude's ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
Enterprise had a bridge that looked like starbug from red dwarf, but I guess that makes sense for the time period. All off the shelf switchgear and monitors. But combining helm and nav makes no sense.

What I wouldn't give to see the TOS bridge built on a high budget. Discovery couldn't resist the neon mood lighting and heavy bulkheads everywhere, and they replaced the astrogator with a tesla's centre console. I like to imagine the blinky lights above the controls as being one long continuous piece of black glass all the way around, okudagram style. Instead we got given weird recessed monitors with everything in generic sci-fi blue.

HorseLord fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 15, 2019