Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

HJB posted:

The feeling when I see things like this and realise my brain is irreparably broken.

Girl on the left is either very embarrassed, or just missed her uni place by 1 point and has yet to tell her parents....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1161926641292959744

The "Anyone but Corbyn" is coming from OUTSIDE the thread.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Arron Banks suggesting that a child could disappear on international waters is extremely on brand for such a rich and privileged oval office.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It actually owns that Jo Swinson is Lib Dem leader because she's the platonic loving ideal of a fundamentally spineless shitweasel lib demmer.

"Stop Brexit.

But I refuse to let the WRONG KIND OF PERSON stop brexit."

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Arron Banks suggesting that a child could disappear on international waters is extremely on brand for such a rich and privileged oval office.

Arron's just salty his mate Epstein isn't around to disappear her to the island.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Tesseraction posted:

It actually owns that Jo Swinson is Lib Dem leader because she's the platonic loving ideal of a fundamentally spineless shitweasel lib demmer.

"Stop Brexit.

But I refuse to let the WRONG KIND OF PERSON stop brexit."

Liberal purity is the funniest concept. The left gets ragged on for wanting ideological purity but lmao at the idea of being pure of non-ideology

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/kviserr/status/1161782133028982784

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Liberal purity is the funniest concept. The left gets ragged on for wanting ideological purity but lmao at the idea of being pure of non-ideology

Liberalism is absolutely an ideology, and it's one that Swinson's voting record is quite consistent with.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jo swinson demanding everyone and their dog become PM holds about as much weight as me demanding I become king tbqh.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Chucat posted:

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1161926641292959744

The "Anyone but Corbyn" is coming from OUTSIDE the thread.

I'll get shat on but I don't really get why this is so wrong. It would be a much more convincing call for a government of national unity type deal if the proposed leader was a more neutral person. If it's a genuinely time-limited government then the election Labour want will happen anyway.

As it is the call to anoint Corbyn as PM without an election, a man that most people absolutely do not believe is pro-remain and who is wildly divisive in the Commons, just looks completely cynical. I don't really believe it's a serious proposal so much as something they want the Lib Dems to reject so Labour can use it as ammo against them in an election.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Not one C, one U, one N, and one T, which is a special grade they made up just for him (it means twat)?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm pretty sure the leader of the opposition has more right to form a government if the present one falls than some rando that the leader of some fourth rate party of nobodies happens to prefer.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
a unity government is a loving terrible idea for all sorts of reasons but lets tell the country that actually their vote in a general election doesn't matter

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Hell, the PM doesn't actually need to be an MP by law. If you really want a "neutral" person to lead a letter-writing government and then call an election, get someone from outside politics - that at least doesn't look so much like partisan fighting.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

peanut- posted:

I'll get shat on but I don't really get why this is so wrong. It would be a much more convincing call for a government of national unity type deal if the proposed leader was a more neutral person. If it's a genuinely time-limited government then the election Labour want will happen anyway.

As it is the call to anoint Corbyn as PM without an election, a man that most people absolutely do not believe is pro-remain and who is wildly divisive in the Commons, just looks completely cynical. I don't really believe it's a serious proposal so much as something they want the Lib Dems to reject so Labour can use it as ammo against them in an election.

There is no such thing as a "neutral person".
e. He is not calling for a goverment of national unity, just a government to delay brexit so that there is enough time to have a general election to properly decide.

Primpod
Dec 25, 2007

jamming on crusty white

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Centrists: "Imagine actually believing in something, what a weirdo."

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Hell, the PM doesn't actually need to be an MP by law. If you really want a neutral person to lead a letter-writing government and then call an election, get someone from outside politics - that at least doesn't look so much like partisan fighting.

Prime Minister James O'Brien and I take a gun to my head

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
https://twitter.com/linkshund/status/1161944381944934400?s=19

Is it fair to say Liberalism is an ideology and centerism is an absence of one? And that the two get confused speaks poorly of Liberalism?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

Prime Minister James O'Brien and I take a gun to my head

Ah I see you are familiar with the governments negotiating strategy on Brexit

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is it fair to say Liberalism is an ideology and centerism is an absence of one? And that the two get confused speaks poorly of Liberalism?
It's fair to say that Liberals keep positioning themselves as 'the sensible centre' so much and for so long that it's stuck.

Centrism only exists by comparison to other parties that people are willing to vote for, there's no objective middle ground *dies under flood of political compasses*.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think "I must always compromise" is a pretty strong ideology, if a stupid one.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/AliseNavidad/status/1161660410753363968

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Darth Walrus posted:

Liberalism is absolutely an ideology, and it's one that Swinson's voting record is quite consistent with.

Oh yeah it absolutely is, it’s just the face of it demands a decree that they’re above ideology so watching them poo poo their pants over a strictly ideological requirement is :chefkiss:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Centrism is what liberalism calls itself for marketing purposes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What's the opposite of a face lift?

Actually more like a "face collapse towards the nose" I guess.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Why does it need an entire government? If all you are doing is calling an election then why waste time appointing minsters etc.?

But if all we do is have another GE where labour's position is "we want our go and of that doesn't work a second ref" we're going to have a hung parliament.

Withdraw article 50 and be done with it, which means get a "centerist" in. The gammons will soon turn tail once they feel the full force of police brutality.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yes, I can't wait for them to waddle out of their homes with a Union Flag waistcoat and a placard saying 'full brexit now' and the police to immediately beat up a black lad two streets over.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you haven't noticed the libs are pushing for a remain vs no deal referendum...

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Boris would really like this unity government to cancel Brexit because he then calls/goes into an election as a radical figure foiled by the elitist manoeuvres of parliament and gets a ton of Brexit Party votes back, probably enough to have a full majority again but oops it wouldn't be right to immediately invoke article 50 again so instead it's Tory majority for another 5 years and then maybe article 50 when we invent the Irish border technology.

Even just an extension would get him the majority to no deal immediately afterwards. It's a bad idea for anything except VONC and then GE.

namesake fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Aug 15, 2019

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

namesake posted:

Even just an extension would get him the majority to no deal immediately afterwards. It's a bad idea for anything except VONC and then GE.

Sorry, I've lost track again. What do labour say they will campaign for with regards brexit in such an election? Because if its anything remainy, by your logic they will lose?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Liberalism was such a dominant ideology for so long that a lot of its adherents didn't, or still don't, realise it is one and thought it was just an apolitical ground state.

Something that article posted a few pages back about Remainists highlighted to me was that a lot of these people are just now discovering they're a political faction that need to advocate for what they believe in. Which would be why they're so weird about it, they're still new to the idea.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

peanut- posted:

labour outnumbers the lib dems 17 to 1 in parliament. that is not a position in which you are obligated to negotiate - hell, corbyn has had minor backbench rebellions bigger than the entire lib dem party.

junior partners do not set the tempo, regardless if they'd like to. labour is lead by a leader which was elected by the membership and then again at the general - we chose the opposition leader, not jo swinson.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

It's such a loving transparent attempt to undermine Corbyn's legitimacy just before a GE. Swinson smells political opportunity and, just like any other Lib Dem, all her previously held "principles" go to the back of the queue.

Every party other than Labour is in a piss weak negotiating position, yet somehow she thinks she can dictate terms.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Tarnop posted:

It's such a loving transparent attempt to undermine Corbyn's legitimacy just before a GE. Swinson smells political opportunity and, just like any other Lib Dem, all her previously held "principles" go to the back of the queue.

Every party other than Labour is in a piss weak negotiating position, yet somehow she thinks she can dictate terms.

I think you’ll find she can because she’s the only grown up in the room unless Tom Watson is there too

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

The loving Tory rebels have even responded to Corbyn's letter to say they are happy to talk to him. The Lib Dems' whole argument is that he wouldn't be able to convince Tories to block no deal, and yet the Tory rebels themselves are literally less hardline on this than the Lib Dems are. It's dumb as poo poo and Swinson's position will collapse if push comes to shove. They'll just make a bunch of damaging headlines in the meantime.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

CancerCakes posted:

For a lot of people brexiteers are family members who they do go to the pub and have a drink with, who agree that there are problems but disagree on causes and solutions. While LD voters are elites who want status quo at all costs

'Brexiteers' and 'Kippers' aren't the same people these days. Someone who's still voting UKIP right now instead of Brexit Party is most likely onboard with their most recent leader and is therefore full Tommeh-supporting fash.

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

Centrism is unquestioning acceptance of the currently dominant ideology (that being liberalism). Centrists might believe they're above ideology, but they're not. It's a rhetorical stance, I'd say.

But that's not quite the whole story. There's more going on there, and I think it's worth exploring a bit. What really stands out to me is that centrists seem to have completely internalised the notion of the bell curve - that on any given issue, the opinions of the populace fall somewhere along a single continuous axis, and that most people's opinions will tend to fall somewhere near to the average of the whole population.

In a lot of cases, this has an element of truth to it. But it's an extremely blinkered and limiting way of looking at the political landscape, in at least two different ways. Firstly, "landscape" is in fact a good metaphor, since it becomes much more informative to examine issues in the context of others, e.g., :siren:concerns about immigration:siren: in the context of the effects of neoliberal economics, media oligarchy, and conservative spite. Secondly, centrists inherently view that mean point as something which they should chase, and fail utterly to realise both that it can move over time, and that it can intentionally be moved.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

^^^Median voter theory was always just an excuse to move left-wing parties to the right, like the laffer curve is always just an excuse to cut taxes. The underlying assumptions are just wrong.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Sorry, I've lost track again. What do labour say they will campaign for with regards brexit in such an election? Because if its anything remainy, by your logic they will lose?

Because if it happens that way then it's an open question for the electorate, still not one favourable to Labour but they can say 'Well these are the sides and the public gets to choose.' If it's after an extension or cancellation then there's the champion of the will of the people (Boris) and everyone else, who are a bunch of elitist antidemocratic monsters who you can't trust to do what the public say anyway.

namesake fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Aug 15, 2019

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Scikar posted:

The loving Tory rebels have even responded to Corbyn's letter to say they are happy to talk to him. The Lib Dems' whole argument is that he wouldn't be able to convince Tories to block no deal, and yet the Tory rebels themselves are literally less hardline on this than the Lib Dems are. It's dumb as poo poo and Swinson's position will collapse if push comes to shove. They'll just make a bunch of damaging headlines in the meantime.

If enough Tory rebels plus labour and snp could pass a vonc while the Lib Dem’s oppose it, they would never recover and it would be the funniest final nail in the coffin of any political party in history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lmao

https://twitter.com/IanCobain/status/1161943528026644482