Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nephzinho posted:

I found a couple of mini disc players and a box of discs cleaning my parents attic recently. Those things were awesome, shame they got murdered by the iPod.

Mini disc didn't get murdered by the iPod. Sony took a shotgun and blew out its knees before mini disc even left the gate with their lovely DRM software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Ibanez Talman in transparent blue sunburst. I am definitely feeding into my son’s guitar collecting habit. Got it for half of what I would have paid on Reverb, from a co-worker.

(He was playing it out on the deck)

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Megabound posted:

Egg chair...

egg chair

EGG CHAIR!

This chair (and katte :3) are rad as hell!

Would love more deets on the chair, this is exactly what my office space needs

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Bought a brand old truck from a friend of mine. 2002 Dodge ram 1500. Needs a little work, but it's 4x4 so it will get me around in these Minnesota winters. Plus I haven't had a vehicle of my own for a while so.... :unsmith:

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
My old Carhartt boots finally gave the ghost after five years in service so I decided to purchase another pair.

Only way to really test these boots is to sleep in them after working all day in them. I loving love these boots, I already feel like I am walking on clouds.

Katamari Democracy has a new favorite as of 00:52 on Aug 1, 2019

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Bruh. Three pairs of extremely dadly jeans, white socks, Carhartt boots with black rubber trim, and (assuming you're sitting on an additional one) three office chairs. You're like, the president of dads. Dad Lord.

am I like, obligated to tell you what my thermostat's set at right now

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

prayer group posted:

Bruh. Three pairs of extremely dadly jeans, white socks, Carhartt boots with black rubber trim, and (assuming you're sitting on an additional one) three office chairs. You're like, the president of dads. Dad Lord.

am I like, obligated to tell you what my thermostat's set at right now

Mine is at 69.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I am not a dad.

And I took that picture right after I got sick and tired of my old carhartt boots giving the ghost and absolutely murdering my feet. Job down the road had a supply store full of badass work shoes and they happen to hold Carhartt. My co workers almost begged to go with Georgia Boots but they looked a bit too cowboy for my tastes. But I did go with the leather color at least!

Their motto is "End the day as strong as you started" and I am living proof that poo poo is loving true.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

You're about to get served with paternity papers with a look like that. By an adult goon.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

OSU_Matthew posted:

This chair (and katte :3) are rad as hell!

Would love more deets on the chair, this is exactly what my office space needs

It's a replica of a 1958 design, Arne Jacobson's Egg Chair, so you should be able to find one at any replica furniture store.

Megabound has a new favorite as of 22:47 on Aug 1, 2019

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

RFC2324 posted:

Mine is at 69.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

AmStaff TP007 multi-rack. This is actually somewhat of a downgrade from what I currently have - the TP006, which is a full power cage. I'm really not using the full features of the cage and its front posts are somewhat cumbersome in my already-cramped apartment. I made sure a friend wanted to buy the power cage before pulling the trigger on the new rack.

Also got a 45lb kettlebell and some resistance bands with the rack. I'm going whole-hog back into lifting, it's been far too long.

And then there's a bunch of creative/career gear that I've treated myself to in the past few months, the most recent of which are arriving soon:

Denecke TS-C timecode slate, along with some breakout boxes for sending SMPTE timecode via BNC and wirelessly.

Sennheiser MKE600 short shotgun microphone. I already have a MKH416 which is a longer one but this is more suited for indoor boom microphone work.

Audio-Technica AT8022 X-Y stereo microphone - not really for location sound work but good in case I need to capture stereo room tone or effects for sound design.

Also got some smaller accessories, like straps for the Sennheiser lavalier mics I already have, tape to secure them to talent, and batteries. Tons of batteries.

Camera gear too! You might say I'm putting together something of a basic videography kit. Audio is my realm, but I recently got a Nikon Z6 and rekindled my passion for photography, and I'm going to make it into as much of a video workhorse as I can as well.

Atomos Ninja V monitor/recorder. Will record full UHD 4K to an SSD, taking the workload off of the camera. Also picked up the AtomX Sync module to allow the aforementioned wireless SMPTE timecode sync from my audio kit. Of course, a SmallRig cage and monitor mount, and extra batteries and all the other accoutrement.

Laowa 25mm f/2.8 2.5-5x Ultra-Macro lens for the camera. An inexpensive macro lens, sure, but it should do the job. I've always wanted to take pictures of bugs, and my cats from unreasonably close.

Oh yeah, and this:

Crosspost from ML, I guess. I'm getting into playing bass - figured when I passed age 30 that I might as well learn one stringed instrument instead of being a drummer & DJ for the rest of my life - and while I'm still too lazy about it, I decided to treat myself to this Ampeg BA210 because the little Fender practice amp I had (as nice as it was for $100) wasn't really making me want to pick up the instrument. This is doing that.

And probably the thing that's gotten the most love from me since I bought it a few weeks ago... after a >10-year hiatus I finally have a motorcycle again:

2011 Suzuki GSX-R600. Low mileage (10,300km!) and it came with a Scorpio alarm, which was clutch at the price. I didn't like the spiky handlebar ends at first (too nu-metal) but they've grown on me. She needs a name. I'm leaning towards 'Absolute Monster' or 'Rocinante'.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
What exactly is the point of putting a mic right up to a speaker? Can't you just like record direct output form whatever source? I'm confused as hell.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

LifeSunDeath posted:

What exactly is the point of putting a mic right up to a speaker? Can't you just like record direct output form whatever source? I'm confused as hell.

People mic amps all the time. You're right though, it's probably a better solution to use the direct out from the amp into my interface (both in recording and live scenarios). Admittedly I haven't tried out the SM7B mic on the amp yet, but generally I understand they sound decent on bass amps, and I had one, so there it went.

In the near future when I have some actual riffs to record, I'm going to play around with using those shotgun mics or the X-Y one much further away to get some room tone - I wouldn't do this if it were just a clean bass sound but I'm playing around with some octave and fuzz pedals. It might sound like garbage, but it's worth experimenting.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Mister Speaker posted:

A lot of fuckin :words:

Sweet bike and sweet amp (I don't know how good the rest of the stuff is but I know these things!). Not a fan of sport bike riding position but I do like a lot of the designs. A coworker tried to get me to buy one of his ampeg amps, can't remember the model right now, but I ended up buying a fender bassman 10 off a different coworker, and I don't need two giant amps when I'm shite and just play in my apartment.

LifeSunDeath posted:

That is a very large :can: you're tryna open

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Basically all recorded music you’ve ever heard that used actual instruments was recorded by putting mics in front of speakers. Recording the sound as created by speakers pushing air in a room generally feels more “natural” and “alive” to the human ear.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pre-ordered the vinyl version of my fav album (so far) of 2019.

back :
https://f4.bcbits.com/img/0016865770_10.jpg

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
My first road bike, a Fuji Roubiax 1.5 with shimano 105 shifter and rear derailer, new continental 4000 s2 tires, clip-in and non-clip pedals with clip-in shoes, and a handful of other bits I can't recall of the top of my head. Got what I feel is a good deal on it from a friend who's getting rid of extra bikes before he moves.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Got another AWD vehicle! It replaces a 25 year old Snapper that's been making some frightful noises lately. I got a lot more yard to mow with the new house. I was thinking of getting a riding mower but I have a shitload of trees and other obstacles in my yard. I'd be able to get about half of the yard with the tractor and do the stuff around the trees with a pusher anyway.

I didn't even know awd push mowers were a thing. After two weeks it's proving to be a good purchase. I got a wicked slope in the front yard and its got traction for days. Really cuts down on the punishment to the knees and ankles. Good power too. It rips through the thick stuff nicely.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I just preordered the new Tool album, but the wacky version that apparently comes with a tiny screen that plays special video. Yes, I'm a sucker.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Chuck Klosterman's new book Raised in Captivity

Got it signed too.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Glottis posted:

I just preordered the new Tool album, but the wacky version that apparently comes with a tiny screen that plays special video. Yes, I'm a sucker.

Is that the Amazon one that's $45 or whatever? I ordered that but the description didn't seem to make it clear. Maybe that's the only version?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

At some point a few months back in this thread someone posted a really nice place that made custom couches/recliners for somewhat-if-you-squint-at-it-a-bit reasonable prices. Anyone remember that name before I start turning pages?

Argila
Oct 23, 2008
Maybe the Comfortable Couch Company?

https://www.cococohome.com/

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Argila posted:

Maybe the Comfortable Couch Company?

https://www.cococohome.com/

That was it. Though i was clearly misremembering the prices being doable. Whoops.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Nephzinho posted:

That was it. Though i was clearly misremembering the prices being doable. Whoops.

I saw payment plans :shrug:

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Thrift store couches.

It's all we deserve.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Nephzinho posted:

I am probably the person who posted that link originally. I have a couch and chair from them, and love their furniture and quality. The chair was bought at their regular price, the couch was bought at over $1000 off from their outlet section, which has stuff rotate in/out of it all the time.

https://www.cococohome.com/outlet/

Although I don't know if you think that $1200 off a $3400 couch is a doable price.

EDIT: vvv It took me 8-9 years to have the right space and cashflow to start affording their furniture. Nothing wrong with that.

The Prong Song has a new favorite as of 21:46 on Aug 8, 2019

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I bookmarked it for future optimism, but it is definitely not something happening in this apartment. Even if that russet leather couch in the outlet right now is gorgeous and needs to be mine.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Glottis posted:

Need to do this too. Am also a sucker

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Glottis posted:

So you download an .mp4 instead of an .mp3 ??

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Decided to splurge on endgame equipment instead of wasting my money on mid-fi that can't be resold without a loss.

Sennheiser HD800S headphones

Sennheiser HDVD800 DAC and headphone amplifier

Got decent deals preowned on both, so when it actually dawns on me how much money I've spent on them I can sell them off without losing anything.

lookslikerain
Jan 10, 2014

If you find yourself in a social situation, make threats.

New desk (top, had the legs already), chair, and shelves. To make way better use of my tiny apartment than I have been.

But now I have to fight my cat if I want to do anything.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

lookslikerain posted:

New desk (top, had the legs already), chair, and shelves. To make way better use of my tiny apartment than I have been.

But now I have to fight my cat if I want to do anything.

10/10 would fight(pet) that cat hourly

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

evobatman posted:

Decided to splurge on endgame equipment instead of wasting my money on mid-fi that can't be resold without a loss.

Sennheiser HD800S headphones

Sennheiser HDVD800 DAC and headphone amplifier

Got decent deals preowned on both, so when it actually dawns on me how much money I've spent on them I can sell them off without losing anything.

How are they? I've been thinking about turning my spare room into a studio so I can pretend to be a musician again, and the first thing I'm gonna need is headphones.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Pre-ordered this:

Well, the digital deluxe edition, for maximum ripping and tearing :getin:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I just beat Doom 2016 and it's a stellar game. Wish I played it earlier.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mu Zeta posted:

I just beat Doom 2016 and it's a stellar game. Wish I played it earlier.
I've beaten that game at least 5 times. I'll go back to it every so often and just run through the whole thing and it still holds the gently caress up!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

New camera:

New watch:

New mouse:

New keyboard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

How are they? I've been thinking about turning my spare room into a studio so I can pretend to be a musician again, and the first thing I'm gonna need is headphones.

They are still in the mail, but I'm gonna guess "good". There are tons of reviews out there, but I don't know if these will be right for music production.

We have a headphone thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563521