Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Give me Hubert/Ferdinand or give me death.

(The gay endings in this game are extremely good.)

(Except I have no idea how I’m going to make everyone not straight in my GD run because I haven’t heard much about the pairings there.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Taear posted:

The thing is that Lys has a much better spell list. By a million miles.
It's why Byleth isn't a great caster, his actual spell list is boring and crap.

Recruit everyone, that's always the answer.

Yeah I get it (she was by far my most lethal unit and MVP for most of the maps in my first run), and heck she is gonna have some relief promoting to Mage and getting a bump in her magic growth as well as the Mage mastery skill to boot soon, which should ameliorate only getting like 2 magic levels so far

Also I only have so much renown to go around!!

ROFL Octopus posted:

Going by bases and growths, Leonie is Better Ashe, which is depressing because Ashe is my homeboy.

I’ve made no secret about how much I love Ashe but yeah I have to try hard to make the most out of him even if he’s been a very good goodest boy so far

Even if my Leonie turned out horrifically speed screwed in my first run and sat with Byleth and Hilda in the “we got so RNG screwed we need brave weapons to kill things” club

hopeandjoy posted:

(The gay endings in this game are extremely good.)

(Except I have no idea how I’m going to make everyone not straight in my GD run because I haven’t heard much about the pairings there.)

Heads up that Raphael/Ignatz is uh, decidedly not romantic Ignatz ends up hooking up with Raphael’s sister instead

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wish I could customize Byleth's appearance but I do appreciate that they wanted the player character to be able to appear in animated scenes so that obviously couldn't happen.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

Jewels of the empire

I got that accidentally because of the supports gained in the last map and I really did not expect it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I can't believe you monsters would make Mercedes murder Annette, I say, as Ashe takes aim at Lonato

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

I made Lorenz a black mage on the way to his dark knight run so I just keep swapping him between magic and lances, though Leonie is currently my Lance/Bow cavalier.

I recently made Leonie a cavalier and gave her a training bow+. She's a mass murdered with that thing. I'm excited to see her as a bow Knight with a proper bow.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I think I might make Manuela a pegasus knight this playthrough. She has the stats and skill proficiencies for it and her spell list kind of sucks. Yeah she has Warp but her range is rear end and Bolting is nice but her Reason is bad and I already have Hanneman and Dorothea for siege tomes. It’s a shame, it feels like Manuela would be perfect for dancer but the game forbids it

Mulderman posted:

On my third run after 2 Black Eagles I'm now doing the Blue Lions.

Pretty sure the weakest cast out of the three so far. Sylvain might be the worst piece of trash out there. I thought Sain from FE7 was bad but this guy takes it to a whole new level.

Sain owns, you fool. You’re right about Sylvain though. I recruited him in my current run because I wanted a second cav and he really sucks

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Taear posted:

It's why Byleth isn't a great caster, his actual spell list is boring and crap.

Byleth's spell list does enable one fun thing: they can be a really rad Nosferatu tank. Put them in their personal class and watch as they dodge most attacks with White Magic Avo +20 and then life drain their way back from any attacks they do take.

Otherwise there's really no reason for Byleth to give a poo poo about spells at all. I kind of wish mastering mage jobs could teach a unit spells or something so you could make someone like Byleth a good caster if you really put effort into it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I can't believe you monsters would make Mercedes murder Annette, I say, as Ashe takes aim at Lonato

I made Ashe attack Lonato just to see the dialogue but I didn't make him deal the final blow. I'm a monster, but even I'm not that evil.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

You should make people kill their friends whenever the opportunity presents itself imo

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hunt11 posted:

I deeply regretted it the moment they started to talk to one another for the final time.
I've already talked about this but their japanese A rank support is one of the cutest things in the entire game and everyone should watch it

Harrow posted:

Similarly, I feel like you shouldn't recruit either Felix or Sylvain and Ingrid separately. Ingrid wouldn't join a house other than Dimitri's unless it was to keep an eye on one of her idiot friends (trusting Dimitri to watch the other).
yeah my deepest regret is Ingrid. I worked so hard to get her (B rank support and everything) but she just never accepted my invitations To really punish myself I used both Felix and Sylvain to get the dialogue and make myself even sadder

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I feel like you should be able to find one or two spell teaching books somewhere out there just in case somebody weird like Raphael falls face first into Annettes spirit dust supply and winds up with a magic stat 10 points over average and you want to roll with it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

You should make people kill their friends whenever the opportunity presents itself imo

there's a lot of extra dialogue and it's always tragic as heck, I vote yes

also their dads

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Harrow posted:

Byleth's spell list does enable one fun thing: they can be a really rad Nosferatu tank. Put them in their personal class and watch as they dodge most attacks with White Magic Avo +20 and then life drain their way back from any attacks they do take.

Otherwise there's really no reason for Byleth to give a poo poo about spells at all. I kind of wish mastering mage jobs could teach a unit spells or something so you could make someone like Byleth a good caster if you really put effort into it.

I think in ideal world the combat arts and the spells would be directly tied to your class rather than specific to the character.
Or at least a mixture of that, so you can still get Diamond Axe on only a few people but everyone can get Smash by becoming a Brigand, that sort of thing.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Taear posted:

I think in ideal world the combat arts and the spells would be directly tied to your class rather than specific to the character.
Or at least a mixture of that, so you can still get Diamond Axe on only a few people but everyone can get Smash by becoming a Brigand, that sort of thing.

Idk I like the spells being unique. Like Dorothea looks bad on paper but her spell list is 💯

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mulderman posted:

Sylvain might be the worst piece of trash out there. I thought Sain from FE7 was bad but this guy takes it to a whole new level.

Scrap Dragon posted:

Sain owns, you fool. You’re right about Sylvain though. I recruited him in my current run because I wanted a second cav and he really sucks
Sylvain has some of the best supports in the game and is a legit interesting character once you get to know him better (which describes pretty much every character, I know) He started out as one of my least favorite characters because I hate his starting trope, but grew to become one of my favorites

highly recommend Sylvain/Mercedes supports for maximum :therapy:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Taear posted:

I like personal spell lists (and arts), it helps differentiate the characters. Especially in a game where most units can be anything.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
That's the one thing I really dislike. Having to learn skills like shove and having them take up a slot.
Gone are the days of bashing your dudes all over the map. But then again warp is really powerful and strong this time around, so it kinda evens out.

Due to dance, stride and warp shenanigans I have cleared multiple maps in seconds.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mulderman posted:

That's the one thing I really dislike. Having to learn skills like shove and having them take up a slot.
Gone are the days of bashing your dudes all over the map. But then again warp is really powerful and strong this time around, so it kinda evens out.

Due to dance, stride and warp shenanigans I have cleared multiple maps in seconds.

I'm doing my second run without stride or warp since they are just too good

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Taear posted:

I dunno, I do like the idea that characters have personal spell lists, just because I think it gives the designers room to tailor the lists to a character's personality or use it to make mages distinct from one another even in the same class.

I just think everyone should have a more complete list. It's not like I needed Raphael to have a bad spell list to not make him a mage, you know? Growths can do all that work on their own.

Felix's spell list disappoints me, too. His sword proficiency and Reason budding talent clearly point him towards Mortal Savant but his spell list is depressingly bare. He gets Thoron, which is great, but it still seems odd. Hell, his Faith spell list is way more complete.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

So are there any opportunities to get more dark seals for Hubert after the time skip? I wasted my first fight with the death knight, got the second one, then Jeralt ended the third fight before I could get anyone over there.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
They should have given him Bolting, to complete the list of lightning magic.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Andrast posted:

She has Warp and Bolting so she can't be bad. Ward and silence are great too.

When does she gain Bolting? Because I thought I got her reason to A and nothing.
That's slightly better but her growths are also not great (and reason is one of her weaknesses which is unforgivable in a caster).

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I don't think everyone should be able to learn anything but if you found one book of warp or fortify or whatever in the game so that someone like Annette with a snorefest spell list could get something neat I think that would be nice.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

When does she gain Bolting? Because I thought I got her reason to A and nothing.
That's slightly better but her growths are also not great (and reason is one of her weaknesses which is unforgivable in a caster).

Are you sure you got it to A since that's when she gets bolting

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Taear posted:

Combat Arts work exactly like you describe but they’re tied to weapon ranks instead. Everyone does get Smash at D rank axes. All characters get the same art/ability at every weapon rank, with characters who have a skill proficiency (blue arrows) in that weapon type getting a unique art at C+ and A ranks.

Spell lists are the only thing that are completely unique on a per character basis, though there should definitely be equippable tomes that work like the Fire/Miasma/Heal class skills

Mulderman posted:

Those days are back in force in this game. You don’t really need more than two different combat arts per map

Simulation883
Jan 1, 2007
The. new view wet n

Simulation883
Jan 1, 2007
R feed dad

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Your Computer posted:

I've already talked about this but their japanese A rank support is one of the cutest things in the entire game and everyone should watch it

yeah my deepest regret is Ingrid. I worked so hard to get her (B rank support and everything) but she just never accepted my invitations To really punish myself I used both Felix and Sylvain to get the dialogue and make myself even sadder

I have six people at B support who don't give a poo poo :(

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

dublish posted:

So are there any opportunities to get more dark seals for Hubert after the time skip? I wasted my first fight with the death knight, got the second one, then Jeralt ended the third fight before I could get anyone over there.

I don't think so but at the same time Dark Bishop really doesn't do much for anyone. He can get Heartseeker from Dark Mage, and Dark Bishop doesn't have Dark Tomefaire or bonus spell uses or anything. And you don't need a Dark Seal for Dark Knight.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Is Sylvain really that much of a poo poo? I don't have much interaction with him but I was under the impression Lorenz was going to take that crown, though in reality he just seems a bit prickly about noble house bullshit. There aren't really any characters I outright hate in my Deer playthrough thus far.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Like pretty much everyone, Sylvain gets a lot deeper and not poo poo in his supports.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

Is Sylvain really that much of a poo poo? I don't have much interaction with him but I was under the impression Lorenz was going to take that crown, though in reality he just seems a bit prickly about noble house bullshit. There aren't really any characters I outright hate in my Deer playthrough thus far.

He's not as bad as he seems though he definitely starts out being very lovely to women. His supports with Mercedes and Dorothea do a lot to reveal who Sylvain really is.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

DLC Inc posted:

It's the first impression really.
women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women,women

Like even Sain wasn't this bad. I'm sure he'll get better, but it feels like every single line out of his facehole involves him talking about wooing women.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
He also has supports with female characters that aren't just him hitting on them, surprisingly enough. His supports with Bernadetta and Marianne are really nice.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DLC Inc posted:

I mean pretty much all of his C supports either start with him hitting on the other character or some nameless NPC, he's starts as the archetypal womanizer trope

of course, this game having actually good writing no one lets this slide and some extremely good ones are Dorothea you actually hate women, don't you? and Mercedes therapy session

e: also Bernadetta, that one was very :kimchi:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Basically, the crests are to blame and it sucks for him that he's on the blue lions route

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

As it turns out Sylvain and Dorothea are actually super similar in regards to feeling that everybody wants to be with them for superficial reasons. They're getting married this playthough.

Another interesting note on Sylvain is how few A options he has with females despite having a ton of B female supports.

Sylvain wasn't a very good unit though. Bargain basement Felix really.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 15, 2019

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

I mean pretty much all of his C supports either start with him hitting on the other character or some nameless NPC, he's starts as the archetypal womanizer trope

of course, this game having actually good writing no one lets this slide and some extremely good ones are Dorothea you actually hate women, don't you? and Mercedes therapy session

e: also Bernadetta, that one was very :kimchi:

Yeah his whole support chain with Dorothea is very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
speaking of Dorothea I appreciate how the game never really tries to shame her

in particular I think Caspar's C(?) support was very sweet and a refreshing take on the trope