Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Your Computer posted:

I mean pretty much all of his C supports either start with him hitting on the other character or some nameless NPC, he's starts as the archetypal womanizer trope

of course, this game having actually good writing no one lets this slide and some extremely good ones are Dorothea you actually hate women, don't you? and Mercedes therapy session

e: also Bernadetta, that one was very :kimchi:

Sylvain and Flayn is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Gonna give redhead the benefit of the doubt.
I'm really enjoying the writing in this one.

Thinking about gaying it up with Mercedes this run, so maybe he can hang out with Bernie.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
His C support with Flayn where she says 'men and women alike have been seduced by your nefarious ways'... he doesn't deny it.

He also canonically hit on Ingrid's grandma AND a scarecrow.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

TBH in addition to the whole people only want me for my Crest angst, Sylvain really comes across to me as closeted gay dealing with compulsory heterosexuality while also trying to push women away.

But I also got Felix/Sylvain as my ending for him in my BL run, so I might be biased.

I love all my lions kids, even the ones like Ashe that I thought before the game came out who would be dreadfully boring.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

speaking of Dorothea I appreciate how the game never really tries to shame her

in particular I think Caspar's C(?) support was very sweet and a refreshing take on the trope

That is the C support and as with most supports with Casper it is really cute. At first I didn't think much of him but I came to really like him.

hopeandjoy posted:

I love all my lions kids, even the ones like Ashe that I thought before the game came out who would be dreadfully boring.

Though I have only really experienced the BE units so far I am amazed how much I came to like all of them.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Does anyone know if paralogues scale to your current point in the story? Trying to decide if it’s worth doing Alois and Shamir’s paralogue after I recruit both of them or if I need to do it now before I completely outlevel it

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

hopeandjoy posted:

TBH in addition to the whole people only want me for my Crest angst, Sylvain really comes across to me as closeted gay dealing with compulsory heterosexuality while also trying to push women away.

But I also got Felix/Sylvain as my ending for him in my BL run, so I might be biased.

I didn't like Ashe. But then his first support had a lot of fun interaction, also got Anna involved in the fun and it ends with him chasing a robber.
He's a good kid. So I got him to shoot at his daddy.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Scrap Dragon posted:

Does anyone know if paralogues scale to your current point in the story? Trying to decide if it’s worth doing Alois and Shamir’s paralogue after I recruit both of them or if I need to do it now before I completely outlevel it

No, they all have set difficulty

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

ChrisBTY posted:

Sylvain wasn't a very good unit though. Bargain basement Felix really.

Mine’s a mounted tank that can gently caress poo poo up. Even though he got slightly speed screwed, the enemies in this game that aren’t assassins or swordmasters are pretty slow.

Ruined Sky and the Lance of Ruin are a big “DELETE” button too.

hopeandjoy posted:

That’s a pairing that makes a lot of sense so that’s a fair take.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ROFL Octopus posted:

Mine’s a mounted tank that can gently caress poo poo up. Even though he got slightly speed screwed, the enemies in this game that aren’t assassins or swordmasters are pretty slow.

Ruined Sky and the Lance of Ruin are a big “DELETE” button too.

That’s a pairing that makes a lot of sense so that’s a fair take.

and he can pseudo double with Swift Strikes in the player phase too even if he does get speed screwed

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The only student who I still don't like is Lorenz. Sure he gets 'better'' but it's not enough. But of course I always need to steal his staff so :v:

Also I'd love to see Hubert and Ferdinand's paired ending but like I love Hubert and Bernie and Ferdie and Marienne. Both are really touching and help those girls out with their issues in really sweet ways. Especially Ferdinand's interactions with Marienne they are just full on :3:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Sylvain's support with Annette also hit close to home

and I realized looking through my screenshots, Felix and Sylvain's support convos actually change when you don't have Ingrid. As if I needed more guilt :negative:

Hunt11 posted:

That is the C support and as with most supports with Casper it is really cute. At first I didn't think much of him but I came to really like him.
I've seen a bunch of people hating on him here which is weird, but maybe it's like Mercedes and he has a bad/annoying english voice?

his trope is basically that he's a shounen protagonist, and they do some good stuff with it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I was really hoping the NG+ costume options would also apply in battle but I suppose not.

I really wish I had the option to have characters at least wear their part 2/"War" outfits in battle regardless of class. Like I want Caspar to wear his unique outfit as a War Master, or Ingrid as a Falcon Knight. Lorenz's outfit would be great for a Dark Knight, too. Maybe that'll come in a later update or something.

Your Computer posted:

and I realized looking through my screenshots, Felix and Sylvain's support convos actually change when you don't have Ingrid. As if I needed more guilt :negative:

Oh wow, do you have examples? I'd love to see how they're different.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Your Computer posted:

I've seen a bunch of people hating on him here which is weird, but maybe it's like Mercedes and he has a bad/annoying english voice?

his trope is basically that he's a shounen protagonist, and they do some good stuff with it.

My only issue with Caspar was my first game he got horrendous stat roles so he was the weakest link in my party and I could just never find a way for him to be useful in battle. He's great as a character.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Your Computer posted:

He pissed me off in the first run by missing one too many 80% axe hits. So I benched him hard.
Then on my second run I slapped a pair of gauntlets on him and he was AMAZING. Hitting everything hard 4 times, dodging like a maniac and being an all around good guy.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Caspar's voice is great, I can't imagine people hating him for that

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It's really difficult to screw up a war master, especially if you get them death blow. A war master with deathblow would probably be really good even if the character got 0 STR ups from the class base.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Oh wow, do you have examples? I'd love to see how they're different.
only this screenshot
:gbsmith:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Do we know how often the crests activate

Because Felix's crest I swear activates 90% of the time every time.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

I was really hoping the NG+ costume options would also apply in battle but I suppose not.

I really wish I had the option to have characters at least wear their part 2/"War" outfits in battle regardless of class. Like I want Caspar to wear his unique outfit as a War Master, or Ingrid as a Falcon Knight. Lorenz's outfit would be great for a Dark Knight, too. Maybe that'll come in a later update or something.

It’s weird because the unique costumes usually apply to at least two tiers of classes. Like Felix has his outfit as both a Myrmidon and a Swordmaster and Annette has hers as a Mage and a Warlock. Why not give them a master class option for their outfit too? :smith:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

There are unique outfits? Dang

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

There are unique outfits? Dang

Some character’s post timeskip outfits are used on specific classes, yeah. Mostly the “expected” classes for them.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Feels like major crests activate more than minor ones but I'm not sure if that's just confirmation bias or not. Felix's definitely seems to activate all the time though.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Do you get to change gender in NG+? I want to be lady protag next go round.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

Do you get to change gender in NG+? I want to be lady protag next go round.

You can change difficulty, gender, and name.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Scrap Dragon posted:

I think I might make Manuela a pegasus knight this playthrough. She has the stats and skill proficiencies for it and her spell list kind of sucks. Yeah she has Warp but her range is rear end and Bolting is nice but her Reason is bad and I already have Hanneman and Dorothea for siege tomes. It’s a shame, it feels like Manuela would be perfect for dancer but the game forbids it

Isn't she the one who actually goes and teach your dancer the class, too? I am pretty sure she says "I will teach the winner of the contest"' or some such. Arghh.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Chocolate Bunny posted:

Feels like major crests activate more than minor ones but I'm not sure if that's just confirmation bias or not. Felix's definitely seems to activate all the time though.

Yeah. I bought the renown crest that's also a major crest of Freldarius but sadly it does not activate anywhere near as often as Felix's does.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Chocolate Bunny posted:

It's not, Major Crests like Felix and Byleth have definitely activate more than minor crests, with even the wording of their activation descriptions being different, though I don't think anyone has posted (and/or figured out) what the actual activation rate are.

What I'm not sure about is whether all crests at either minor/major actually have the same activation rate. Like Bernadetta's crest seems to activate far more rarely than the one Mercedes has, but I don't know if that's actually the statistical case.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Speaking of supports, I really don't like Byleth's supports with Dorothea, which is a shame because I really like Dorothea. The whole thing seems to focus on Byleth being constantly concerned about Dorothea's love life and it just feels... weird. The C support implies that Byleth is shaming her no matter which dialogue options you pick, and like (A support spoilers) the entirety of their A support conversation is just Dorothea thanking Byleth for not shaming her anymore and then reiterating her life story.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I have Hilda as an armor gal right now but man, lack of mobility and not getting to the fight sooner is a huge bane in this game. It's cool that she just shrugs off everything non-magical but committing to this is tough since idk if I wanna put Raph in armor, as I'm training him to be a warlord type

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Scrap Dragon posted:

Combat Arts work exactly like you describe but they’re tied to weapon ranks instead. Everyone does get Smash at D rank axes. All characters get the same art/ability at every weapon rank, with characters who have a skill proficiency (blue arrows) in that weapon type getting a unique art at C+ and A ranks.

Spell lists are the only thing that are completely unique on a per character basis, though there should definitely be equippable tomes that work like the Fire/Miasma/Heal class skills

That's not true - because not everyone gets Exhaustive blow or Diamond Axe. Yea one or two of the arts are universal but not all of them.
I'm saying I'd rather they were tied to class than to skill ranks and character.

DLC Inc posted:

I have Hilda as an armor gal right now but man, lack of mobility and not getting to the fight sooner is a huge bane in this game. It's cool that she just shrugs off everything non-magical but committing to this is tough since idk if I wanna put Raph in armor, as I'm training him to be a warlord type

Make her a Wyvern Rider. They're way stronger, just as survivable and not TOTALLY useless because they can't loving move like the fortress knights are.
I've got nobody with heavy armour in my NG+ and don't regret that at all.

In my first game I had Caspar as an armour knight and found him poo poo and my girlfriend had Sylvain as an armour knight and found him poo poo. Changed that totally next time through for both characters and suddenly they're great.

It's an okay class idea it just doesn't feel like it works. Maybe if you warp them around.

Taear fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 15, 2019

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Harrow posted:

Speaking of supports, I really don't like Byleth's supports with Dorothea, which is a shame because I really like Dorothea. The whole thing seems to focus on Byleth being constantly concerned about Dorothea's love life and it just feels... weird. The C support implies that Byleth is shaming her no matter which dialogue options you pick, and like (A support spoilers) the entirety of their A support conversation is just Dorothea thanking Byleth for not shaming her anymore and then reiterating her life story.

Yeah, it just felt uncomfortable. Byleth is a pretty cool teacher for most characters... and then he spends most of the time shaming Dorothea. Dammit Japan.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

OddObserver posted:

Sylvain and Flayn is hilarious.

At most I’ve seen a Seteth Says meme of him telling Byleth to gently caress up Sylvain for asking Flayn for gamer girl bath water

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Taear posted:

That's not true - because not everyone gets Exhaustive blow or Diamond Axe. Yea one or two of the arts are universal but not all of them.
I'm saying I'd rather they were tied to class than to skill ranks and character.

I didn’t say every character got every art, I said everyone gets the same arts/abilities at the same rank as everyone else while characters that specialize in that in that weapon type getting extras at C+ and A ranks. And certain classes do get unique arts when you master them, like Snipers getting exclusive access to Hunter’s Volley.

Also it’s good that every art isn’t universal because it makes the characters more unique

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If I had the time or motivation I'd make one for this but with the Valus Ta'aurc quote from Destiny with some names changed around

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Arkeus posted:

Yeah, it just felt uncomfortable. Byleth is a pretty cool teacher for most characters... and then he spends most of the time shaming Dorothea. Dammit Japan.

Early on Byleth is supposed to be such a robot he wouldn't even care, or possibly not even have a frame of reference for her behavior. It be weird.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Caidin posted:

Early on Byleth is supposed to be such a robot he wouldn't even care, or possibly not even have a frame of reference for her behavior. It be weird.

I like the support early on where you're told that apparently Jeralt is Big Boss and you're the Solid Snake of mercenaries and everyone whispers of the Ashen Demon in hushed tones apparently

Meanwhile you start the game getting owned by a rando with a knife

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I like the support early on where you're told that apparently Jeralt is Big Boss and you're the Solid Snake of mercenaries and everyone whispers of the Ashen Demon in hushed tones apparently

Meanwhile you start the game getting owned by a rando with a knife

Yeah that was weird too, because Byleth could very clearly deflect the blow no problem, and later did.

Also does anyone other then Hannemen even bring the Ashan Demon thing up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I thought it was less shaming and more that Byleth has a very dreamy piercing gaze.