Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Pick posted:

Maybe you guys would know some of how society feels if you ever talked to people outside your exact political and age demographics

Pick turn on your monitor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I introduced myself to the bus driver and asked that he keep the bus as quiet as possible

Probably one of the most unreasonable expectations in the entire thread tbh.

Hey public school bus driver, just keep this bus full of 14 year olds that you have zero direct control over quiet while you're trying to drive.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 15, 2019

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
My favorite line from Pick that shows how out of touch she is with reality is when she said a person wasn't really wealthy if their net worth wasn't over 30 million.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Respectability politics only works in very specific circumstances and never on its own, because the overclass just uses it to make excuses for hating you when you inevitably display the slightest negativity no matter how justified or just relax and act like a human being for two seconds.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Leon Einstein posted:

My favorite line from Pick that shows how out of touch she is with reality is when she said a person wasn't really wealthy if their net worth wasn't over 30 million.

My gauge is 15 million so you can't even keep numbers straight.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
at first I thought, maybe gay people are human beings who deserve sympathy and dignity, but then I saw a rainbow flag so I say burn em all

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pick posted:

My gauge is 15 million so you can't even keep numbers straight.

Oh my God.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Pick posted:

Maybe you guys would know some of how society feels if you ever talked to people outside your exact political and age demographics

I don’t feel we should be aiming to make progress by trying to covince people we are Just Like Them. I mean, you certainly are, but for the rest of us that’s not going to work.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Pride parades are the most concentrated public expressions of degenerate sexuality, like age gaps and dog play, and people with traditional values view them accordingly. Whether that's fair depends on your point of view. I think it's unfair to homo attracted persons who don't make poly pee bath bombs but I guess people are going to ride freedom to the line

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

A privileged white woman is trying to educate us. We should all be grateful.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

I’m just saying, if they want human rights so bad, why don’t they just act normal?

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

chitoryu12 posted:

Oh my God.

That's just her trolling. I mean, this entire exchange is. Thought I'm sure she 100% believes in respectability politics.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Well I certainly don't believe in people flaunting that they're dysfunctional

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for reporting my son’s terrible school bus driver?

My son is 14 years old and severely autistic. The school that he goes to does not provide school busses just for special needs children, so he rides the same bus as the rest of the other kids in our neighborhood. The school year started two weeks ago and this is the first time he’s been riding the bus. In the years past, I drove him to and from school, but with my schedule this year, just dropping off and picking him up from the bus stop is much more convenient.

Two weeks ago, on the first day of school, I introduced myself to the bus driver and asked that he keep the bus as quiet as possible, since loud noises lead to my son getting upset or having meltdowns. He said he would “try his best”.

That afternoon, my son became agitated during the bus ride home and refused to get off the bus at his stop. I had to get on the bus and calm him down in order to get him off. The bus driver glared at me as we were getting off the bus, and I said “if you’re going to be mad at anybody, it should be yourself. I told you to keep the bus quiet.”

After that, every morning and afternoon the bus driver glares/frowns at me. In contrast, he greets all the other kids and their parents in a very cheerful and friendly way.

I called the school and told them about the bus driver being so rude, and they said they would “look into it.” After a couple more days, he hadn’t stopped with the dirty looks, so I called a few more times and they said that “nobody has ever had any problems with that bus driver and many people say that he’s the best one at the school” (Which I sincerely doubt).

I mentioned the issue to my neighbor, who has two children that ride the same bus as my son, and she said that I am completely unreasonable, that the bus driver is “the nicest guy you’ll ever meet“ and that her children say my son is “extremely disruptive” on the bus and that she thinks he shouldn’t be riding the bus. Obviously this made me angry, because my son has just as much of a right to ride the bus as her kids.

AITA?

Oh my word.

So his complaint is basically the bus driver looks at him in the wrong way?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Everyone shut up, a bi white woman is gonna tell us about Stonewall next. Let's all just listen.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
People with "traditional values" are wrong and dumb hth

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

That's a hell of a way to talk to the people who pay for your social services

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Pick, I love you.

We are in the presence of the master.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

Oh my word.

So his complaint is basically the bus driver looks at him in the wrong way?

The bigger complain is that the bus ride is very upsetting for their son. It's not their fault and it's not the bus driver's fault, the school should be providing additional kids with special needs. Them pinning it all on the bus driver is super dumb.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Pick posted:

That's a hell of a way to talk to the people who pay for your social services

I am in awe of this. Well played.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Pick posted:

And I'm saying that the onus is essentially on them, and that it isn't fair, but what's is essence media messaging/ advertising does not maintain the standard of being fair.
I think the onus is on white people to not think 1 example reinforced a stereotype.

Look, it's like there's no way to 'be a woman' that will satisfy misogynists. You're either frigid or whorish or shrill or boring or whatever. If you like to cook you reinforce that women should get in the kitchen, if you're smart you're stuck-up, if you care about clothes you're shallow, if you don't you're a slob. I don't think the pressures on POC are any less arbitrary and contradictory. If there's nothing I can do that isn't going to hit some bad stereotype about women, much less lesbians, then why should I bother bending over backwards to fit someone else's narratives?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

You can believe whatever you want, freak.

As for me, and my family, we'll keep believing the one true god.

Bhaal.

:colbert:

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Chomp8645 posted:

Probably one of the most unreasonable expectations in the entire thread tbh.

I mean she could buy the kid some hearing protectors.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

bamhand posted:

The bigger complain is that the bus ride is very upsetting for their son. It's not their fault and it's not the bus driver's fault, the school should be providing additional kids with special needs. Them pinning it all on the bus driver is super dumb.

Yeah, and I think that if the regular bus can't be made to work, the district is required to provide alternate transportation.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
You make it sound like date rape is a very common thing in the US?

How about central europe?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

bamhand posted:

the school should be providing additional kids with special needs.

Wait, what?

I assume you mean a bus program just for them. Depends on the system whether or not they have the funds for that.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

drat those degenerates, ruining it for the Good Gays, the ones that are just like the straights.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Luv 2 uphold traditional values like barbecue, domestic violence, and wandering down to the pride parade to be a judgemental poo poo about people I don't know and don't need to look at if I don't want to

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Well off white people are the most sexually and generally degenerate people on the planet and they're barely even bothering to hide it anymore.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

You can believe whatever you want, freak.

As for me, and my family, we'll keep believing the one true god.

Bhaal.

:colbert:

Moloch.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Well off white people are the most sexually and generally degenerate people on the planet and they're barely even bothering to hide it anymore.

Can confirm

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Pfft, heretic. Asmodeus is the way, the truth, and the light.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

PetraCore posted:

I think the onus is on white people to not think 1 example reinforced a stereotype.

Look, it's like there's no way to 'be a woman' that will satisfy misogynists. You're either frigid or whorish or shrill or boring or whatever. If you like to cook you reinforce that women should get in the kitchen, if you're smart you're stuck-up, if you care about clothes you're shallow, if you don't you're a slob. I don't think the pressures on POC are any less arbitrary and contradictory. If there's nothing I can do that isn't going to hit some bad stereotype about women, much less lesbians, then why should I bother bending over backwards to fit someone else's narratives?
Yeah. Like, unless I stayed closeted and never transitioned, I'm gonna basically look like a TERF's strawperson of a trans woman. Literally there was one going around recently that is basically me. I'm not gonna keep myself closeted because I might make other trans people "look bad" to people who already hate trans people. Instead, I'm going to exist as myself and bigots can die mad about it.

My boyfriend is mad that I slept in the same bed as my older brother and helped him get dressed and have a bath.

quote:

Backstoryish: So I went to a wedding for my aunt and uncle and stayed in a hotel for a couple days with my family. My brother is severely disabled, the easiest way to describe it is a 3 year old in a 26 year old body. He needs help with everything and doesn't understand what danger is. I am 20f btw.

My brother obviously cannot be left alone, especially in a completely new place to him the other side of the country so me and him shared a room which had a king size bed. After coming back from the wedding my boyfriend found out we shared a bed and was creeped out by this and said what if you saw him naked to which I completely blew up on him and yelled who do you think got him dressed and bathed him for the past couple of days. Now my boyfriend is not talking to me over this and called me weird. edit: My boyfriend does know my brother if thats not clear

This is honestly the most stupidest thing I have ever had happen to me and I have no clue on how to respond to him.

Any advice?

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Frankly, Mammon is by far the one winning this whole thing, so

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
the respectability argument doesn't really make any sense in the era of sanitized corporate pride because the public face of pride is so tame that anyone really offended by it is not really going to come around on the whole not stoning homos to death thing

but it also doesn't make any sense in the original context of pride because things were so bad in those days that trying to live a life of quiet respectability wasn't an option in the first place.

maybe there was some point in the mid-90s where there was some nugget of sense to it? that would be pretty on-brand for pick's posting, anyhow

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for reporting my son’s terrible school bus driver?
This person sucks for placing the blame on the driver and not the school/district, which should be providing adequate transport.

Just say you'll get a lawyer, stop expecting the bus driver to be able to work a miracle and get everyone to shut up.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

Wait, what?

I assume you mean a bus program just for them. Depends on the system whether or not they have the funds for that.

Whoops yeah additional resources is what I meant to say. OP is doing their damndest to raise a stink without actually helping their kid though.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for not allowing daughter (17F) to attend parties?

My daughter (17) is going into her senior year of high school and we live in a rural area with admittedly not a lot for a teen to do. It is very common for her friends and classmates to have bonfires and other house parties on weekends and sometimes even weeknights. I have never allowed her to attend them because I know there are drugs and alcohol being passed around.

I’m not sure what gave her this idea, but she had gotten it in her head that things would change for her senior year. I have certainly never given her this impression. She is under the legal drinking age and I do not want her to get arrested and ruin her life over a bonfire. She claims she is the only one of her friends, and one of her only classmates, that never attends these “events” and I am “alienating” her by not allowing her to go. She says most conversations revolve around these parties and she feels she has nothing to add.

My husband (and her father) says he sees both sides equally and is having a hard time deciding his opinion. He says of course he recognizes that it’s not legal for these kids to be drinking, but most of us went to these parties growing up, and it’s a “rite of passage” of sorts for a teenager.

I decided to entertain the idea of allowing her to go to one bonfire at her best friend’s house this weekend, whose mother I know well. I asked my daughter if she planned to drink alcohol at the party, and she told me, “I won’t lie, I might have one beer, but I would spend the night at her house if I do.” So I told her she absolutely would not be going. My husband now feels like I am “punishing her” for being honest. I feel that I am protecting my daughter from ruining her life by being arrested for underage drinking. So, Reddit, AITA?

EDIT: okay, I see at the very least I am TA for asking her about drinking and deciding against the party. I will give her my “blessing” to attend this party, but I will still be asking her not to drink.

EDIT 2: I promise I am not that horribly strict! She is involved in extracurriculars, she has many friends that are always allowed in our home and she can go to theirs, and I’m not even against alcohol! We have brought her and friends on vacations where they could legally drink, they certainly did, and we all had a great time. I just want her to follow the law while she lives in my home.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not allowing daughter (17F) to attend parties?

EDIT 2: I promise I am not that horribly strict!
I'm not that strict! I just never let her have any fun unless I can preside over it like a goddamned vulture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
You can wring your hands about my posting all day, thus simulating the experience of actually working