Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

^burtle posted:

Imagine being this invested in Gwenpool.

Yeah, very cringe to like a character a lot
For shame, Site, you have lost subscriber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

wasnt it just last page that you told someone they were wrong for not liking art you liked

No, maybe try reading it again. I said I disagreed and liked it and then said sorry it wasn't that person's cup of tea. I didn't tell them they were weird for not liking it. I'm not sure why you think it's weird that someone might not be totally into something that's a bit more out there as a concept like Gwenpool. I've also always said that Hastings is a really good writer and I'm glad that people liked the book but that it wasn't for me. The only one that was being weird about anything was you with that comment.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

site posted:

i mean, theres that whole scene where she creates one so large it literally pushes her out of a window in hastings run. but like i said, if leah didnt intend to mean it that way , then ill eat being wrong on that. i dont know why else was she would point it out though

I took it to mean that she can see them, and she knows the readers of the comic can see them, so she's embarrassed even if she will never interact with the readers. Which would probably be pretty funny or endearing if not for her purposefully acting wacky and meme-like. I think she's supposed to come off as trying too hard because it's part of her attempt to remain entertaining and relevant. Problem is, it has the same pitfalls as a writer trying too hard, so many of the jokes come off more annoying than funny.

I don't know. I may give it another issue to see where the story is going, but I'm leaning towards dropping it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

glitchwraith posted:

I took it to mean that she can see them, and she knows the readers of the comic can see them, so she's embarrassed even if she will never interact with the readers.

yeah, i can go with that

X-O posted:

I'm not sure why you think it's weird that someone might not be totally into something that's a bit more out there as a concept like Gwenpool.

sooo we're just pretending you didnt say this

quote:

I don't know about the jokes and language but pulling out a photo like a looney tunes character seems like something that would be part of her whole ridiculous meta powerset which is why I originally disliked the character

which lead to my original statement yeah? okay just checking

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

yeah, i can go with that

sooo we're just pretending you didnt say this

which lead to my original statement yeah? okay just checking

What are you even talking about at this point site?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

If you're going to tell others to read correctly, you could at least do the same yourself because she didn't say it was weird that you disliked the character but that you make assumptions about her despite not having read the full comic.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

^burtle posted:

I too am invested but at this point I think I've accepted that nothing will match the original series (in my mind).

I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Roth posted:

If you're going to tell others to read correctly, you could at least do the same yourself because she didn't say it was weird that you disliked the character but that you make assumptions about her despite not having read the full comic.

Saying that I'm "consistently weird" about Gwenpool is not the same as just saying I don't understand how her power works. And I do know how her powers work. I'm not going off assumptions or guesses. I know how her power works because I've seen all the dozens of pages posted here and elsewhere that shows how her powers work. If she can literally walk between the panels of a her book, skip to the end of issues, throw characters off the page, know all the secret identities of the superheroes she comes across, fight her evil future storyline self, and see her own cancellation issue before it happens then I don't see how producing a picture out of thin air is something that would be out of the reach for someone with powers she's exhibited. I even said I can't speak for if the language or meme jokes were in character because all I know of Gwenpool's personality is what I saw in West Coast Avengers. Saying I know how her character was written would be an assumption on my part and is something I've never said. I've always said my issue with Gwenpool was the scope of her powers and how they functioned.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Soonmot posted:

Wait, did you think her intrusive thought bubbles were visible to the other characters? I get where your coming from, but I'm pretty sure those bubbles are just visible to her and distracting her. I also agree with Archy, that this isn't as good as Hastings, but nothing will be. It was still enjoyable to me.

I'd love to see Ryan North take a shot at writing her, I think some of the bottom-page gags in Squirrel-Girl have the right kind of playfulness about the form and I think he does a pretty good job writing believable college students (much like Wilson with Kamala Khan, I think he gets away with it by having Doreen be kind of a square-- endearing but a little out of step with her peers, which means there's less impetus to be super timely with the lingo and diction)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

^burtle posted:

I guess with D_T and american Dracula gone somebody had to step up to the plate.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
This is getting pretty weird.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

I guess with D_T and american Dracula gone somebody had to step up to the plate.

This was uncalled for.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr Hootington posted:

Please don't compare anyone posting here to those gross assholes.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

I don't think it's really the same thing. Hastings' Gwenpool was a really unique and fun book, and I think it's pretty reasonable that a fan of it would be disappointed when subsequent takes on the character succeed at some things but drop the ball on other important aspects of the main character. I think we all cathect onto certain characters and want to see them written the way we like-- eg. Squirrel Girl is undeniably one of the best books Marvel puts out but I remain vaguely cranky at how North wrote Taskmaster one time. It's a part of fandom that in most cases is totally healthy.

I think it's the nature of the internet for things to escalate quickly and for tone to be read as pretty heated, but I don't think site's fondness for Gwenpool as she was written in her first series is at all weird or extreme, especially not in the way D_T and Dracula's personal fancies were extreme. Also site is from every interaction I've had with her a good and pleasant person whereas D_T was a homophobic rape fantasist and american dracula was some kind of lab-grown experiment to make the worst posts at the loudest volume, the main problem with them was far from being attached to particular characters, even if the Red Hood poo poo got extremely old.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 15, 2019

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Speaking of Red Hood, Punisher Kill Krew is the best kind of Punisher story

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Roth posted:

Speaking of Red Hood, Punisher Kill Krew is the best kind of Punisher story

He gets his dick kicked in by a child?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I have been informed there is some confusion. ^burtle is the bad guy in my post.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Archyduchess posted:

He gets his dick kicked in by a child?

No, but he does blow up a tree monster. Just make Frank Castle into the Doomguy from now on.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr Hootington posted:

I have been informed there is some confusion. ^burtle is the bad guy in my post.

I guess that makes more sense because that comment was unwarranted. But it was very unclear. It looked more like you were agreeing with that comment. And even then as useless as that comment was it doesn't put that person on the level of of actual assholes who have been banned from this forum.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

For me, what I loved most about Hastings' Gwenpool was Gwen's development. She's from the real world so she started as someone who just wanted to stand out and get paid. She also didn't care about harming or even killing mooks so others found her and her 4th wall jokes completely bizarre. But despite coming across as LOLRandom Deadpool to others, she's really just an ordinary person. And the more she spent time in 616, the more she got invested in the friends she made in her book. Her not taking things seriously had her gently caress up and caused her friends some trouble and that leads to her growing as a person.

Hastings' book was more of a character study and the 4th wall jokes and powers are just one part of Gwen. It just sucks that that's what other writers seem to lean on when they're writing her.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah I can completely understand all of the depth being wiped out as being annoying. I felt the same way about Deadpool when Daniel Way took over for Fabian Nicieza and when Skottie Young took over for Gerry Duggan. When a writer really comes on and gives a full three dimensional life to what some consider a joke character it's hard to go back to a two dimensional gimmick. I liked Gwenpool in WCA but yeah she was about as deep as a sheet of paper in that book which is a shame for those of you that really love the original run.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

amigolupus posted:

For me, what I loved most about Hastings' Gwenpool was Gwen's development. She's from the real world so she started as someone who just wanted to stand out and get paid. She also didn't care about harming or even killing mooks so others found her and her 4th wall jokes completely bizarre. But despite coming across as LOLRandom Deadpool to others, she's really just an ordinary person. And the more she spent time in 616, the more she got invested in the friends she made in her book. Her not taking things seriously had her gently caress up and caused her friends some trouble and that leads to her growing as a person.

Hastings' book was more of a character study and the 4th wall jokes and powers are just one part of Gwen. It just sucks that that's what other writers seem to lean on when they're writing her.

:bisonyes:

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Hot Take time: I dislike Gwenpool and that's just as fine as people who like her.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I haven't read Williams' Gwenpool but having read a bunch of her previous work in the X-Men area of Marvel, those panels strike me as the editorial equivalent of "Again, but louder and with your mouth more open"

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Having finally had the chance to read the new Gwenpool, yeah, it comes off as extremely frenetic and try hard in those first few pages, so I can see where people would be put off. I'll give it another issue because I like the character, but iffy start so far.

In more positive news, I did really like the second issue of Loki.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ironheart with the shuri teamup is real good too

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Archyduchess posted:

I don't think it's really the same thing. Hastings' Gwenpool was a really unique and fun book, and I think it's pretty reasonable that a fan of it would be disappointed when subsequent takes on the character succeed at some things but drop the ball on other important aspects of the main character. I think we all cathect onto certain characters and want to see them written the way we like-- eg. Squirrel Girl is undeniably one of the best books Marvel puts out but I remain vaguely cranky at how North wrote Taskmaster one time. It's a part of fandom that in most cases is totally healthy.

I think it's the nature of the internet for things to escalate quickly and for tone to be read as pretty heated, but I don't think site's fondness for Gwenpool as she was written in her first series is at all weird or extreme, especially not in the way D_T and Dracula's personal fancies were extreme. Also site is from every interaction I've had with her a good and pleasant person whereas D_T was a homophobic rape fantasist and american dracula was some kind of lab-grown experiment to make the worst posts at the loudest volume, the main problem with them was far from being attached to particular characters, even if the Red Hood poo poo got extremely old.

All of this.

I'm not mad at Site for not liking the book, I'm not trying to convince her that she's wrong, I'm just putting out another opinion to get people to read it. Something I would never had done with all the weird poo poo DT got up to. Being invested in characters is good and cool.

site posted:

ironheart with the shuri teamup is real good too

Oh hell yes, it was, very fun and I loved the initial frostiness.

howe_sam posted:

In more positive news, I did really like the second issue of Loki.
I posted on my FB how I cannot wait to see his outfit start showing up in cosplay.

Edit: The Loki title page is also a great illustration of a sexy character through female gaze as opposed to male gaze.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 16, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/rainbowrowell/status/1163926926584623105?s=19

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So Doombot is taking over the Runaways and turning them into full on superheroes? I'm in.

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

I made the mistake of reading the comments on this and woof. Anyway new sorta runaways looks ok.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Chase looking like some sort of refugee from the 90's is pretty great.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
So I don't think I knew before today that Marvel brought Captain America into the MU before Avengers #4..

Strange Tales #114

He's actually The Acrobat posing as Cap in order to commit crimes, but it was published as a tryout to see if people wanted Captain America to join the MU for real. (as I understand it, the Timely/Atlas comics that predated Marvel and Fantastic Four #1 weren't technically part of the Marvel Universe at first, though eventually tons of it was later retconned in)

The origin of Johnny's famous catchphrase, "Nobody scoops mud up at The Human Torch!":

An amazing temper tantrum. Also.. why does his girlfriend Doris have such long legs??

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
That's Jim Hammond, he killed Hitler.

Edit: I guess not, I just assumed.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Skwirl posted:

That's Jim Hammond, he killed Hitler.

Edit: I guess not, I just assumed.

To be fair, I assume Jim Hammond also does not like having mud scooped up at him

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

X-O posted:

So Doombot is taking over the Runaways and turning them into full on superheroes? I'm in.

Apparently it’s Doctor Justice, one of the Secret Warps fusions?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
It certainly could be, though that would be an especially weird pull given that Doctor Justice and Doc Justice don't really have similar costumes, and Doctor Justice isn't even technically from the Secret Warps Soul Gem universe, but from a neighboring one that merged Squadron Supreme and New Universe characters as part of the Secret Warps mash-up of the Incursion and like five other events.

I'm still leaning toward the Doombot finding his own way, since DC has taught us that the opposite of Doom is Justice.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The Newsarama article says he's a pre-existing Los Angeles superhero that Karolina gets the team a job working with.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

The Newsarama article says he's a pre-existing Los Angeles superhero that Karolina gets the team a job working with.

Hawkeye? (either one)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Quick, where is Zemo these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

TwoPair posted:

Quick, where is Zemo these days?