Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Hipster_Doofus posted:

(BTW, it is a stellar tv show, and anyone who hasn't seen it should check it out. I am not sure I have ever cared so much about what happens to fictional characters.)

It got "really dusty" in the room during the couple episodes of that show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

drgitlin posted:

Who is putting cadavers in car crash tests?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xditX9_DVEc

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I have a friend who works in a crematorium who mentioned how they throw out fistfuls of diamonds that they filter out of the ashes. People agree to only receive the cremains and there's no major value in 2nd-hand diamonds.

This sounds like a great way to make money: fill 12 ga. shotgun shells with the secondhand diamonds and sell them to prepper rubes for huge dollars.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Brute Squad posted:

the National Atomic Testing Museum is dope. It's in Vegas on the north side of UNLV; pretty close to the strip.

https://nationalatomictestingmuseum.org/about/

The Nevada National Security Site Tour sounds also interesting.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

This is 100 % worth it.

Everybody here should make time for this, while there's still stuff left to see.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Where are the diamonds in the crematorium supposedly coming from? Do people think that they just burn up dead bodies straight out of the casket, still wearing all their jewelry and stuff?

Apparently crematorium operators do regularly find metallic deposits (including gold) in the remains from tooth fillings and medical implants, but they remove rings and the like and return them to the family intact.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

Where are the diamonds in the crematorium supposedly coming from? Do people think that they just burn up dead bodies straight out of the casket, still wearing all their jewelry and stuff?

Apparently crematorium operators do regularly find metallic deposits (including gold) in the remains from tooth fillings and medical implants, but they remove rings and the like and return them to the family intact.

Firefighters just keep finding diamonds in all the house fires they respond to, but have to throw them out because De Beers slipped them a twenty.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sagebrush posted:

All those 80s kids and their vajazzlers have gotten out of hand.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

(BTW, it is a stellar tv show, and anyone who hasn't seen it should check it out. I am not sure I have ever cared so much about what happens to fictional characters.)

It is literally the best tv show there has ever been and I tell everyone this until I'm blue in the face but because it's not about murder or gangsters or drug dealers or other ott poo poo it gets ignored

(Even though it manages to be about all these things and many more through the course of the show, dealing with every aspect of the human condition sensitively and intelligently and basically every single character no matter how minor their part feels like a fully fleshed out and relatable human being)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Why the gently caress do I have to “donate” my body to get blown up instead of selling it for 4 large directly?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Firefighters just keep finding diamonds in all the house fires they respond to, but have to throw them out because De Beers slipped them a twenty.

Lol. I know a guy who goes to the Hills. County fairgrounds to buy gold. He has multiple film containers full of diamonds, all worth jack-poo poo. Bang the ring with a hammer to get the stones out and go about your day.

Industrial diamonds for life.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Fallom posted:

Why the gently caress do I have to “donate” my body to get blown up instead of selling it for 4 large directly?

KASH-4-KORPSES!

Send us a corpse in our postage-paid bodybag mailers, and we'll appraise the body and then send you cash! Old Uncle Windbags body taking up space in your garage? CASH! Former owner of your home leave numerous bodies buried in your basement? CASH! Grandma about to kick the bucket any day now? CASH!

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
If you want to blow (up) my corpse you better pay me while I'm alive

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

KASH-4-KORPSES!

Send us a corpse in our postage-paid bodybag mailers, and we'll appraise the body and then send you cash! Old Uncle Windbags body taking up space in your garage? CASH! Former owner of your home leave numerous bodies buried in your basement? CASH! Grandma about to kick the bucket any day now? CASH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEHMbJ_FVfA

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Fallom posted:

Yeah that's the part that pisses me off, that someone besides the family of the deceased is making the profit off what was meant to be a charitable deed.

If the army wants to blow me up they can pay my wife and not the body warehouse I donated myself to.

It would be like being an organ donor and finding out the hospital charged the recipient $20,000 for your kidney (not the surgery but the organ itself) and your family got nothing.

Although they probably do do something like that knowing this ghoul factory of a country.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 15, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shut up Meg posted:

You need to brush up on the classics, my friend.

I give up. I know the diamonds are in the body, but where?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I want my body to be used to help children learn important lessons, which is why I intend to die by the creek out past the rail bridge right next to a couple of good-sized poking sticks.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Shut up Meg posted:

You need to brush up on the classics, my friend.

Which Jojo is this?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

This is perfect.

Also 2nding the need to know where the diamonds come from - people getting cremated with their Paul Wall grillz in?

e: didn't know cremains was an actual word!

NoWake fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 15, 2019

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Platystemon posted:

I give up. I know the diamonds are in the body, but where?

Alimentary, my dear Platystemon

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'll stop loading my shotgun shells with diamonds when robbers stop breaking into my DeBeers mansion.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

KASH-4-KORPSES!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S3-UH2rUIQ

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Imagined posted:

Yeah that's the part that pisses me off, that someone besides the family of the deceased is making the profit off what was meant to be a charitable deed.

If the army wants to blow me up they can pay my wife and not the body warehouse I donated myself to.

It would be like being an organ donor and finding out the hospital charged the recipient $20,000 for your kidney (not the surgery but the organ itself) and your family got nothing.

Although they probably do do something like that knowing this ghoul factory of a country.

I'm pretty sure that is literally how it works.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Organs no, blood absolutely.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

He said that a lot of people insist on cremating their loved ones with their favorite jewelry on despite their warnings that it will be separated out once the cremains are processed. The offer to return the jewelry beforehand is standard. Most of the gold evaporates, silver tends to congeal into little black clumps. The silver and other metals are then separated by passing a magnet over the materials, he didn't explain how, but I assume he meant by using the Lenz effect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQk95NcNa_s

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It's illegal for you to sell your blood but legal for blood banks can charge ungodly amounts of money.

They started backpedaling and now you can get points for your units that discount your blood transfusion but honestly that's maybe a bigger racket when they get someone in the hook and insist they tell all their Facebook friends to donate in their name for the credit and then they go and resell it for more than they'd have charged the patient for.

cosmo sex tip
Sep 26, 2005
contains sodium borate, xanthan gum, sucrose stearate, glucose, glucose oxidase & lactoperoxidase, and fragrance.

Sagebrush posted:

I'd say 99.9% of the families that use our services for cremation get their valuables back, save maybe a wedding ring or three. Maybe some photos or mementos from the family (writing letters to "send with" the deceased is common and encouraged, at least at my FH), sometimes a stuffed animal going with a child, that sort of thing, but anything of value almost always stays with the family. They're careful about what goes into the crematory because it can really screw up the burn, and considering the time it takes to cremate a whole person, and the volume of people (again, at least at my FH, ymmv) that need to be cremated, it matters. Burning something like polyester clothing can gently caress up your exhaust system and require a shitload of cleaning because it essentially blows superheated plastic all over the inside of your system and that can effect how evenly bodies get cremated. It's a whole thing.

our boss will send 'round emails with news stories of Trashy Funeral Homes Fuckin' Up sometimes and one of the ones that struck me was a couple years ago, a funeral director got caught financing vacations on the proceeds of selling the gold fillings of bodies that came through the funeral home. as in like bragging about it on Facebook and poo poo. There was also that one where they found babies' remains just stuffed in the attic in cardboard boxes in a FH that had closed down-- apparently they were re-using the infant caskets and just never even bothering to inter the remains. Some of these discount places are sketchy as gently caress-- with Funeral Homes in general, you get the service you pay for.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

cosmo sex tip posted:

with Funeral Homes in general, you get the service you pay for.

Jokes on you every funeral home in my entire city is owned by Service Corporation International AKA Dignity! So I'll get exactly the service they feel like giving me and gently caress me very much if I don't like it! :capitalism:

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbRD6u-VkVE

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

You know you don't need a grave or pretty makeup for your corpse.

Everyone seems to think they have to be treated like a pharaoh when they die.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

of course. how else can i ensure that they remember me?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

When I die, now don't think I'm a nut, don't want no fancy funeral, just one like ol King Tut

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

no matter how bad you gently caress up as a mortuary, if you dont have a frankenstein corpse attached to your wall and/or a bucket of genitalia, you're not the worst mortuary ever

please do not prove me wrong

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Butterfly Valley posted:

It is literally the best tv show there has ever been and I tell everyone this until I'm blue in the face but because it's not about murder or gangsters or drug dealers or other ott poo poo it gets ignored

(Even though it manages to be about all these things and many more through the course of the show, dealing with every aspect of the human condition sensitively and intelligently and basically every single character no matter how minor their part feels like a fully fleshed out and relatable human being)

Well put. It is incredibly three (or frankly even four) dimensionally realistic, right down to the occasional "daydream" bits. Even though it takes a little creative license in portraying them sometimes, their content is just so organic.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I'm going the medical donation route, to the university hospital that performed my life-saving surgery.

While I'd like to believe that my obese carcass will be used to teach fledging physicians, I really do not care.

What is appealing is that the entire donation process costs something like $500, imcluding the death certificate & transport. My mom's second husband went that routre, and my mom wil, as well.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

uhhhh.......yes

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

When I die please put my body in a chamber and harvest any combustible decomposition gases and use them to power a small generator and feed the power to the SA forum servers. It is my hope that with this setup I will achieve the ultimate meta poo poo post vicariously through all of you as my decaying biomass helps keep these dead gay forums running.

But cut off my head and turn it into a Singin' Billy Bass first.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

put my headless corpse in a self driving car and program it to do laps around the town square

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
lmao as if my corpse is even going to be intact enough to be used for science after im done with it