Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

MisterZimbu posted:

Unfortunately I only started again when Guilds came out, but I'll be the one laughing when my Steam Vents are $800 apiece.

Sad!

But the cost of fetchlands are certainly an issue for getting into Modern. I doubt WOTC really cares but I wouldn't be surprised if they are in some product next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

ShaneB posted:

Sad!

But the cost of fetchlands are certainly an issue for getting into Modern. I doubt WOTC really cares but I wouldn't be surprised if they are in some product next year.

Scalding Tarns will drop to $70 for at least 5 days.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ShaneB posted:

Sad!

Commander 2020 is five enemy pair decks each with the corresponding ZEN fetch, immediately the best-selling Commander set ever.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

ShaneB posted:

Sad!

It's what I did when MM3 dropped. I went hard on getting a set of every fetchland.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

ShaneB posted:

Sad!

What do you think about Sam Black's proposal to fix Modern by banning;

- Hogaak
- Faithless Looting
- Ancient Stirrings
- Simian Spirit Guide
- 8th Edition (all of it)
- Fetch Lands
- Also probably Wrenn and Six in the future

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

C-Euro posted:

Commander 2020 is five enemy pair decks each with the corresponding ZEN fetch, immediately the best-selling Commander set ever.

i'm assuming it's just the fetch with 0 other cards in the box, MSRP still at $40, and it's still a steal

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

MikeCrotch posted:

- Hogaak
- Faithless Looting
- Ancient Stirrings
- Simian Spirit Guide
- Fetch Lands

Hard pass because Mill is stone dead without double Crab triggers and Ensnaring Bridge, instead of just "this deck sucks but people will still try to make it viable"

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

MikeCrotch posted:

- Hogaak
- Faithless Looting
- Ancient Stirrings
- Simian Spirit Guide
- Fetch Lands

Personally I don't think Modern is broken. I agree with what Ross said on the last episode of our podcast (The Dive Down), which was that Modern has been pretty great since the (re)banning of Golgari Grave-Troll and Gitaxian Probe until they messed up with Hogaak. I think post Hogaak Modern will also be in another great place with people continuing to explore decks that utilize Modern Horizons cards.

Note that I will of course say that Modern being "great" depends on you liking how Modern works in general, which I will admit is fair to not really care for. I think Standard is typically a more interactive format that rewards being a better player more often, but keeping up with it is it's own chore.

Hogaak: will go. It's overly powerful and the entire format is wrapped around beating it right now.

Faithless Looting: I think watching the relatively quick rise and fall of something like Izzet Phoenix, which was briefly 20% of the day 2 tournament metagame, but then fall back to earth as people learned to play against it and Izzet players had to hedge against the mirror more, which required playing things like maindeck Surgical Extraction instead of maindeck Gut Shot, opening the deck up to being beaten by things like Humans, is a totally fine thing and doesn't indicate the overpowered nature of Faithless Looting. I also think Dredge is a very fragile strategy that can be very easily beaten by a single Leyline of the Void, but that gets into arguments about Modern being a "did you draw your hate"/"did you draw your counter-hate" format which is certainly one thing to not like about the format itself. Besides those two decks, no one is really complaining about the power of stuff like Mardu Pyromancer. Mono-red phoenix is certainly quite powerful right now, but I think it's particularly capitalizing on the existence of Hogaak and it's ability to go under and around it, and it will simply prove to be a perfectly cromulent creature/burn strategy in the future.

Ancient Stirrings: Meh. I certainly don't think Mono-G Tron capitalizes on it too much, Tron is like a 51% deck over time, at best, and more or less needs to keep it's current level of power to keep things like a newly-empowered Jund in check. Scales and Amulet Titan have also been proven to be checkable by a number of other strategies in modern, and I think decks like Scales, especially, are awesome for the format, and really reward certain types of thinking and playing.

SSG: should probably go. I don't need to write a paragraph about that.

8th/Fetchlands: this is a silly argument to even begin, IMO.

Wrenn and Six: remains to be seen? There is a cost for Jund to run a card like this, in that it essentially forces fetch/shocking turn 1 if you wish to cast hand disruption/turn 1 fatal push into turn 2 W6, and doesn't generate the same kind of card advantage as Dark Confidant, really. I honestly think Plague Engineer is a more singularly powerful card that Jund got access to in MH1, although it's in no way bannable.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

C-Euro posted:

Hard pass because Mill is stone dead without double Crab triggers and Ensnaring Bridge, instead of just "this deck sucks but people will still try to make it viable"

seems like they'd be doing a public service to make the tier 6 deck illegal instead of merely a terrible idea

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Lone Goat posted:

seems like they'd be doing a public service to make the tier 6 deck illegal instead of merely a terrible idea

I wish I could make you illegal.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

ShaneB posted:

Personally I don't think Modern is broken. I agree with what Ross said on the last episode of our podcast (The Dive Down), which was that Modern has been pretty great since the (re)banning of Golgari Grave-Troll and Gitaxian Probe until they messed up with Hogaak. I think post Hogaak Modern will also be in another great place with people continuing to explore decks that utilize Modern Horizons cards.

Note that I will of course say that Modern being "great" depends on you liking how Modern works in general, which I will admit is fair to not really care for. I think Standard is typically a more interactive format that rewards being a better player more often, but keeping up with it is it's own chore.

Hogaak: will go. It's overly powerful and the entire format is wrapped around beating it right now.

Faithless Looting: I think watching the relatively quick rise and fall of something like Izzet Phoenix, which was briefly 20% of the day 2 tournament metagame, but then fall back to earth as people learned to play against it and Izzet players had to hedge against the mirror more, which required playing things like maindeck Surgical Extraction instead of maindeck Gut Shot, opening the deck up to being beaten by things like Humans, is a totally fine thing and doesn't indicate the overpowered nature of Faithless Looting. I also think Dredge is a very fragile strategy that can be very easily beaten by a single Leyline of the Void, but that gets into arguments about Modern being a "did you draw your hate"/"did you draw your counter-hate" format which is certainly one thing to not like about the format itself. Besides those two decks, no one is really complaining about the power of stuff like Mardu Pyromancer. Mono-red phoenix is certainly quite powerful right now, but I think it's particularly capitalizing on the existence of Hogaak and it's ability to go under and around it, and it will simply prove to be a perfectly cromulent creature/burn strategy in the future.

Ancient Stirrings: Meh. I certainly don't think Mono-G Tron capitalizes on it too much, Tron is like a 51% deck over time, at best, and more or less needs to keep it's current level of power to keep things like a newly-empowered Jund in check. Scales and Amulet Titan have also been proven to be checkable by a number of other strategies in modern, and I think decks like Scales, especially, are awesome for the format, and really reward certain types of thinking and playing.

SSG: should probably go. I don't need to write a paragraph about that.

8th/Fetchlands: this is a silly argument to even begin, IMO.

Wrenn and Six: remains to be seen? There is a cost for Jund to run a card like this, in that it essentially forces fetch/shocking turn 1 if you wish to cast hand disruption/turn 1 fatal push into turn 2 W6, and doesn't generate the same kind of card advantage as Dark Confidant, really. I honestly think Plague Engineer is a more singularly powerful card that Jund got access to in MH1, although it's in no way bannable.

100% agreed. Modern was fun for a while and had a lot of play and counter play to it even if some people want to scream about interaction

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I kinda hope modern just falls off a cliff for a while. Like they just stop having as many events so it no longer makes sense to spend $2500 on a deck, and then I can bring my lovely Living end and Ad Nauseum decks to FNM because they'll be semi-competitive again

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
monkeys paw wish, paper events completely crater over the course of the next year due to a cascade of entirely avoidable fuckups by wotc

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

when people say ban 8th edition I assume they mean 9th edition too unless they really hate balance of power or whatever

e: unless he literally means individually ban each card printed in 8th edition in which case I approve. planar portal has had it too good for too long

DAD LOST MY IPOD fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 15, 2019

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

A Moose posted:

I kinda hope modern just falls off a cliff for a while. Like they just stop having as many events so it no longer makes sense to spend $2500 on a deck, and then I can bring my lovely Living end and Ad Nauseum decks to FNM because they'll be semi-competitive again

ad naus was pretty good until hogaak made the format nothing but jund, u/w control, and decks that are trying to kill on turn 3

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

when people say ban 8th edition I assume they mean 9th edition too unless they really hate balance of power or whatever

i think it's mostly Ensnaring Bridge and the hosed up colour hosers like Choke

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

A Moose posted:

Historic is going to be as good a chance to make a "new modern" as they're going to get without explicitly setting out to do it, so we'll have to see how serious they are about keeping it Arena only/if fans take the decision out of their hands by making it a popular format even without official support.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Man remember when deaths Shadow was the boogie man?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

little munchkin posted:

ad naus was pretty good until hogaak made the format nothing but jund, u/w control, and decks that are trying to kill on turn 3

Minus the Jund, this has been the format for a long time. I wonder if something happened that made it stop being a turn 4 format a while ago. Hmmmm

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Sinteres posted:

Historic is going to be as good a chance to make a "new modern" as they're going to get without explicitly setting out to do it, so we'll have to see how serious they are about keeping it Arena only/if fans take the decision out of their hands by making it a popular format even without official support.

I think they'll push it as a paper format eventually but probably wait a few years for it to build up a deeper card pool instead of just being Standard+1.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

i think it's mostly Ensnaring Bridge and the hosed up colour hosers like Choke

boiling seas and flashfires are in 9th edition. I guess bridge is a thing but I don’t think that’s wrecking modern

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I think Blood Moon and the Urza lands are only in 8th, right?

As for Historic the big question is how far do they go back. Currently I'd imagine Kaladesh and Amonkhet would be in it but there's a possibility of going back further (no further than Origins at the absolute earliest though). Would be interesting to have a format where cards are potentially added from the past and the future, though that would be a pretty big feel bad for paper players.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

that’s a big negative good buddy

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Balon posted:

Man remember when deaths Shadow was the boogie man?

Death's Shadow and Izzet Phoenix had very similar rises and falls during their heydays. Which is why I laughed whenever people complained about Phoenix being too powerful because you could see the similarities in how they entered the scene.

On a similar note, I'm really liking the Mardu Shadow lists that have recently popped up.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

little munchkin posted:

No ad naus died when war of the spark came out and uw control went from hugely favored to absolutely unwinnable.

Edit: although it’s testing with silence now

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

MikeCrotch posted:

As for Historic the big question is how far do they go back. Currently I'd imagine Kaladesh and Amonkhet would be in it but there's a possibility of going back further (no further than Origins at the absolute earliest though). Would be interesting to have a format where cards are potentially added from the past and the future, though that would be a pretty big feel bad for paper players.

Might depend on how badly they want to keep fetch lands out of a new format. Cutting it off at Kaladesh makes sense, but it gets confusing if you think older sets will still have to be added to Arena in some form or another if/when they pull the plug on MODO. I guess by then they just hope the new format is established enough that the original stated reason for its existence no longer matters.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

AlternateNu posted:

Death's Shadow and Izzet Phoenix had very similar rises and falls during their heydays. Which is why I laughed whenever people complained about Phoenix being too powerful because you could see the similarities in how they entered the scene.

On a similar note, I'm really liking the Mardu Shadow lists that have recently popped up.

No you don't understand this cool and interesting new deck just showed up and everyone wants to play it which means its overpowered and not just popular!!!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I would love modern to move back to a turn 4 format. Slower, more interaction, less getting mycosynth latticed on turn 3

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

ilmucche posted:

less getting mycosynth latticed on turn 3

This can't happen tho really

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

Minus the Jund, this has been the format for a long time. I wonder if something happened that made it stop being a turn 4 format a while ago. Hmmmm

what happened I don't actually know

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

ShaneB posted:

This can't happen tho really

Turn 1 -> forest, arbor elf
Turn 2 -> forest, utopia sprawl, Karn fetching lattice.
Turn 3 -> utopia sprawl, lattice

Happened even with stripping a card, he just got super lucky.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Ban urza's tower.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

ilmucche posted:

Turn 1 -> forest, arbor elf
Turn 2 -> forest, utopia sprawl, Karn fetching lattice.
Turn 3 -> utopia sprawl, lattice

Happened even with stripping a card, he just got super lucky.

Okay it's feasible but that deck is quite bad imo

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

ShaneB posted:

Okay it's feasible but that deck is quite bad imo

It was the vizier/ devoted combo deck with finale of devastation and ballista and whatever. Ended up winning our qualifier to go to the next qualifier.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

LifeLynx posted:

Seriously, and this goes for commons and uncommons as well. Some playable commons will probably be $2 in a year or two. Arcum's Astrolabe is already $1.

Jfc he rang me up for a lava spike not dart. New guy also sold me perfect fits instead of penny sleeves even when I told him he did as much dude insisted until I could barely fit an astrolab into one oh well

PleasantDirge fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 16, 2019

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

MikeCrotch posted:

If they go back to origins all they have to add to arena is oath, bfz and origins.

If it picks up in paper stores will make a ton of money selling bulk level singles that move up to the $2/$3 mark because they’re popular in the new format.

Arena modern players will buy sealed product because each set will have more then a handful of cards relevant to the format. It would probably win-win for wizards because players will spend money on arena to buy packs from 9 added sets.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The problem with that is then you reintroduce two of the worst mistakes that R&D has ever made into a new format: Energy an Eldrazi

Starting at Amonkhet would be cool. Just pre-emptively ban Approach of the Second Sun.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
A card that does literally stone nothing until you get to 7 mana would be unplayably bad in a format with Ramunap Ruins and Hazoret.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Silhouette posted:

The problem with that is then you reintroduce two of the worst mistakes that R&D has ever made into a new format: Energy an Eldrazi

Starting at Amonkhet would be cool. Just pre-emptively ban Approach of the Second Sun.

Approach was only good for like 3 weeks during the entire time it was in standard.

Also Energy and Eldrazi are perfectly fine in larger formats (so long as there is no Eye of Ugin in the mix) and part of the appeal in going back to Origins would be to have a format large enough where we could actually play with those mechanics without having them break the format in half but not so large that they are drowned in a sea of brainstorm and/or faithless looting decks.

Edit: Also there is absolutely no reason we couldn't have some stuff banned from day one if it well and truely is a problem (*cough* felidar guardian *cough*)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I just saw vraskas contempt was down to like $2. After they rotate and go down to $1 something I’m going to buy a set solely for if wizards creates arena modern