Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JWoodcockMP/status/1162085776378740736

ahaha they're crapping themselves

E: I forgot that this guy was the guy who resigned after the sexual harassment charges. So in a GE he 100% loses his seat and there's no chance he's gonna get some cushy job afterwards.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

original tweet’s been replaced now, but lol if you can’t even spell the name of the town I doubt your commitment to winning there

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
to be fair that guy looks like he hasn't even finished his GCSE's yet

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Bardeh posted:

https://twitter.com/JWoodcockMP/status/1162085776378740736

ahaha they're crapping themselves

E: I forgot that this guy was the guy who resigned after the sexual harassment charges. So in a GE he 100% loses his seat and there's no chance he's gonna get some cushy job afterwards.

that also describes cuktig but even they didn’t want cock cubed lol

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Azza Bamboo posted:

I get that the plan is to have the caretaker govt take an extension but I was also under the impression that 12 is a big enough number to hurt this process.

The TIGgers (or whatever they're called this week) are a significant counterweight to this. They're ostensibly anti-Brexit, but very aware that they've flushed their political careers down the drain on a stupidly misjudged gamble. They know that a GE is the final nail in the coffin of their descent into irrelevance, so they seem to be more than happy to throw the country under the bus for a couple more years deluding themselves that they have their hands on the strings of power.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Sensible talk now please.

I think we should attack Dublin first using submarines, seeing thats the main hub of communication for the Republic and it will hard to counter against.
Level RTE studios and army bases at once, then the Dail, then the main council buildings in Dublin, Cork, Galway, Waterford, Sligo and any others that seem to have any gatherings over the next few days.

At the end of the first day troops can land anywhere on the east side of Ireland and a foothold can be established for the rest.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

john wood cock can't keep his dick in his pants whodathunkit

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
https://twitter.com/RetroGof/status/1162051293004861442

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm 100% he was on the murdered and not left to kill himself train now

https://twitter.com/ColsBols/status/1162098329481691138?s=19

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
That is quite the headline when viewed in the awful app

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

Again, other countries aren't your friends. The EU does not care one jot what happens outside its borders other than to the extent it causes problems for it domestically, it would drown the entire african continent in the mediterranean before it let more refugees in and it would do exactly the same to the UK.

It's not quite that monstrous, the whole Italian dickheadedness (dickheadery?) wrt the med refugees is very controversial. And Brexit hurts the EU too, I'm fairly certain they'd rather just forget the whole thing (and I believe the resident Brussels poster-correspondent Junior G-Man said as much on multiple occasions).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jabby posted:

It's just so dumb, it's advocating that MPs ... just pick amongst themselves who gets to run the country.
westminstersystem dot pdf

happyhippy posted:

Sensible talk now please.

I think we should attack Dublin first using submarines, seeing thats the main hub of communication for the Republic and it will hard to counter against.
Level RTE studios and army bases at once, then the Dail, then the main council buildings in Dublin, Cork, Galway, Waterford, Sligo and any others that seem to have any gatherings over the next few days.

At the end of the first day troops can land anywhere on the east side of Ireland and a foothold can be established for the rest.
What's the end goal of this? Because I'm down with the RTE and Dublin council bits.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

What's the end goal of this?

MAKE IRELAND GREAT AGAIN

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

happyhippy posted:

MAKE IRELAND GREAT AGAIN

the obvious way out of brexit... 74 county ireland.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
this is just beyond parody

https://twitter.com/heidiallen75/status/1162105519424843778

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

OwlFancier posted:

john wood cock can't keep his dick in his pants whodathunkit

he's dating Isabel Hardman

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

CGI Stardust posted:

he's dating Isabel Hardman

hope their kids don't hyphenate

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

a) I'm pretty sure that Boris used the same phrase earlier himself.

b) I mean it's not exactly inaccurate, what with the bollocking they received for appearing to renege on the idea

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

The CUKs have been absolutely fabulous. Gone from media darlings to dead in the water losers just clinging onto their cushy jobs, everyone else be damned.

Worthless picks the lot of them.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

So a rough timeline:

1. VONC passes.

2. Vote to install Corbyn as PM fails by tens of votes.

3. Vote to install Clarke/Harman fails by hundreds of votes.

4. Stalemate.

We're going to end up watching the clock tick down waiting to see who will break first, either the Labour leadership or the Lib Dems/Tory rebels.

Downside: the Remain media will 100% try to blame Labour even though the came closest to forming a government.

Upside: the Lib Dems have made remaining at all costs their brand, and the Tory rebels will already be hosed if they've voted no confidence. So they might actually crack first.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Cerv posted:

history nerds: has there ever been an independent MP as PM since political parties became a thing? I don’t think so

Yes actually, the BBC did an interesting documentary on the situation

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

jabby posted:

Upside: the Lib Dems have made remaining at all costs their brand, and the Tory rebels will already be hosed if they've voted no confidence. So they might actually crack first.

This is all they have. They've abandoned actual policy in view of hoping that (a) everyone has become a single-issue brexit voter and (b) to soak up 48% of the vote based on this. Now Labour is obviously trying to do more to damage control Brexit, the Lib Dems are trying to fight off Corbyn on their single issue and consequently are pissing off their earnest members and voters who really do think the Lib Dems are the stop brexit party.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

jabby posted:

So a rough timeline:

1. VONC passes.

4. Stalemate.

We're going to end up watching the clock tick down waiting to see who will break first, either the Labour leadership or the Lib Dems/Tory rebels.

Downside: the Remain media will 100% try to blame Labour even though the came closest to forming a government.

(still) not a Parliament expert but if a VonC passes and no government can be found to command a majority I'm pretty sure that means an automatic GE

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1162117238645764101

Something I haven't seen pointed out much is that a caretaker government would exist to call an ELECTION, not a referendum (because they take far too long and could be over-ridden by the subsequent election anyway).

The only realistic outcome of that election would either be Corbyn as PM and a referendum, or Boris as PM and No Deal.

So why the gently caress are the people who want remain arguing about Corbyn being caretaker? Whoever is caretaker, they only get their referendum if Corbyn wins the subsequent election. If they really don't want him as PM then they have to accept a Boris government which will take us out No Deal. Its either/or.

Of course we know that really they would prefer the Tories, just interested in how they justify it.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

jabby posted:

So why the gently caress are the people who want remain arguing about Corbyn being caretaker? Whoever is caretaker, they only get their referendum if Corbyn wins the subsequent election. If they really don't want him as PM then they have to accept a Boris government which will take us out No Deal. Its either/or.

insert jeb bush election map but with Chuka Umunna running simultaneously in every constituency here

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

My Ryanair flight today was 3 hours and 5 minutes late to land, so thanks to UNELECTED EUROCRATS I get €250 compensation. Take that O'Leary.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Angepain posted:

insert jeb bush election map but with Chuka Umunna running simultaneously in every constituency here

Lib Dem majority!

But seriously, what's the endgame for the supposed Tory rebels? After they VONC their government are they hoping it'll get voted back in and carry right on with no deal? Because the only alternative is Corbyn.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

jabby posted:

Lib Dem majority!

But seriously, what's the endgame for the supposed Tory rebels? After they VONC their government are they hoping it'll get voted back in and carry right on with no deal? Because the only alternative is Corbyn.

Possibly to be to Boris what the centrists claimed to be to Corbyn in the run up to the last GE. They'll curtail his worst elements and stop a hard brexit.

Alternatively they might be sick of this politics lark and want to either retire or move into business and are acutely aware of the damage brexit is going to do to their field of choice.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

jabby posted:

So a rough timeline:

1. VONC passes.

4. Stalemate.

5. Parliament is dissolved after two weeks and a GE called.

The reason for this offer from Corbyn is concern over the purdah rules meaning it's basically impossible for the Government to ask for an A50 extension even if they were minded to once this happens. The unknowable is what the EU can (or are willing) to do in that time - the assumption until quite recently is that they could unilaterally extend A50 but according to some the Withdrawal Bill wording makes that impossible?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

jabby posted:

they think once Corbyn is in power he's going to rule with an iron fist and ignore or suppress all dissent, because that's exactly what they'd do in his position

it's projection, nothing more

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

jabby posted:

Lib Dem majority!

No Deal is going to gently caress over a lot of companies. Not all tories are going to gain from it.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1162127441294503936

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Oh good. The woman who said "we lost the debate" on austerity running things. Worthless.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Harriet!

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Picking Ken Clarke or Harriet Harman is going to piss off literally everyone except Lib Dem MPs.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

First into the palace of Westminster every day gets to be Prime Minister. Even the cleaners. This is the level we're stooping too. No wonder we're a laughing stock

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

:siren: PODCAST NEWS :siren:

Hi everyone! We had a really productive meeting tonight, and it's now down to voting on the final aspects.

If anyone is intending to get involved with the podcast, the links to those votes are in the discord (pinned in the podcast channel), so please feel free to contribute your thoughts :)

Also, I'm putting out a call for anyone interested in designing the branding to give us a shout about it. The voting closes on Sunday, so we'll have more of an idea of what we're looking for by then, but if you think you could contribute please do let me know, I've got PMs here or just grab me on the discord.

I'd like to thank everyone that's participated for helping get this off the ground, and I'm really looking forward to getting the first episode out!

Now, back to your regularly scheduled Lib Dem bashing.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/michaelsavage/status/1162125866643705857
So in one fell swoop Corbyn has positioned himself as the main game in town to avoid No Deal Brexit. Almost like it was planned or something.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
Question on the "gaining the confidence of the House" thing. Say Corbyn loses a confidence vote by a few tens of votes, and the Commons has to vote on a replacement or accept stalemate/a Boris GE. In that case, the lost votes would come from Tories/centrist Labour/Lib Dems. If they vote on an empty suit replacement (say Chuka or something lol), the whipping of votes would be on the entire Labour Party instead, not the Lib Dems/the most centrist parts of both main parties. Wouldn't there be far more Corbyn loyalists in the whole Labour party for the centrists to win over than there are centrists for Labour to win over? Wouldn't that mean that whoever's Jo Swinson's preference is would actually almost certainly lose by more?

(i know the answer to this question is that Jo Swinson is a disingenuous poo poo lol, I just wanted to follow the "confidence of the house" stuff to its logical conclusion)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

wocobob posted:

Question on the "gaining the confidence of the House" thing. Say Corbyn loses a confidence vote by a few tens of votes, and the Commons has to vote on a replacement or accept stalemate/a Boris GE. In that case, the lost votes would come from Tories/centrist Labour/Lib Dems. If they vote on an empty suit replacement (say Chuka or something lol), the whipping of votes would be on the entire Labour Party instead, not the Lib Dems/the most centrist parts of both main parties. Wouldn't there be far more Corbyn loyalists in the whole Labour party for the centrists to win over than there are centrists for Labour to win over? Wouldn't that mean that whoever's Jo Swinson's preference is would actually almost certainly lose by more?

(i know the answer to this question is that Jo Swinson is a disingenuous poo poo lol, I just wanted to follow the "confidence of the house" stuff to its logical conclusion)

Yeah that’s p much right on the money. They’re making themselves seem a bigger deal than they really are.