Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The reason for this offer from Corbyn is concern over the purdah rules meaning it's basically impossible for the Government to ask for an A50 extension even if they were minded to once this happens. The unknowable is what the EU can (or are willing) to do in that time - the assumption until quite recently is that they could unilaterally extend A50 but according to some the Withdrawal Bill wording makes that impossible?

I'm pretty sure the nature of international treaties in general and this EU treaty in particular makes it completely impossible for the EU to unilaterally extend anything. I'm also pretty sure that because of this impossibility they also don't want to gently caress around with it in any way since the EU kinda, you know, likes international treaties and abiding by them and all that.

e: goldarn a snipe. well, ok: Brexit - easy as 1-2-3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Yeah that’s p much right on the money. They’re making themselves seem a bigger deal than they really are.

The Lib Dems are using the fact that the media hate Labour to try to seem like an integral part of the political machine.
When they're actually more of a vestigial tail.

Their ideal scenario is that a vote for a caretaker government led by Corbyn fails, because Labour MPs hate Corbyn, while a vote for a caretaker government led by someone Swinson supports fails by an order of magnitude more because there's no consensus among Westminster parties and isn't that just so sad?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

wocobob posted:

Question on the "gaining the confidence of the House" thing. Say Corbyn loses a confidence vote by a few tens of votes, and the Commons has to vote on a replacement or accept stalemate/a Boris GE. In that case, the lost votes would come from Tories/centrist Labour/Lib Dems. If they vote on an empty suit replacement (say Chuka or something lol), the whipping of votes would be on the entire Labour Party instead, not the Lib Dems/the most centrist parts of both main parties. Wouldn't there be far more Corbyn loyalists in the whole Labour party for the centrists to win over than there are centrists for Labour to win over? Wouldn't that mean that whoever's Jo Swinson's preference is would actually almost certainly lose by more?

(i know the answer to this question is that Jo Swinson is a disingenuous poo poo lol, I just wanted to follow the "confidence of the house" stuff to its logical conclusion)

Yeah exactly. If the leader of the opposition can't command a majority, some random other person stands no chance whatsoever. Corbyn is unpopular with some of Labour's MPs, but nowhere near enough that a majority of them would rather have someone else.

Just paste Jo Swinson's face on this dude basically:

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 16, 2019

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Am I right in that if two weeks pass from the first vote of no confidence passing and no government is formed, we get an election?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Necrothatcher posted:

My Ryanair flight today was 3 hours and 5 minutes late to land, so thanks to UNELECTED EUROCRATS I get €250 compensation. Take that O'Leary.

Really? thought it was 4 hours? Also in my experience dont spend the money if youre tight, itll take 6 months to get it.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Am I right in that if two weeks pass from the first vote of no confidence passing and no government is formed, we get an election?

Yes, but those purdah rules mean that parliament can't legislate during that period, which is why we need the interim government led by Corbyn to extend A50 to prevent No Deal.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
Ok so second question. Say a VONC passes mid-September. There's a two week period of no government, nobody commands a majority, general election gets triggered. If I'm remembering right, isn't there a fixed length to GE campaigns, like 5 weeks or something? So if the VONC passes/GE gets triggered too late, wouldn't the election necessarily have to be after 10/31?

Also, what's the stuff I've been hearing about Boris somehow gaming the election timing to force it to be after 10/31 anyway?

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

I'm back. Politics is good again. Looking forward to PM Corbyn in September/October, and enacting the return of the Soviet Union like that bit of the Simpsons.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

jabby posted:

https://twitter.com/michaelsavage/status/1162125866643705857
So in one fell swoop Corbyn has positioned himself as the main game in town to avoid No Deal Brexit. Almost like it was planned or something.

Yeah, even my Corbynsceptic parents have been grudgingly admitting that at the very least he's the first and probably best shot, and they're almost as scornful of the Lib Dems as we are ITT.

Corbyn's played a blinder here, all the papers are either showing he's the main game in town or just ignoring him on the front page entirely, no real way to spin it as anything else.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

wocobob posted:

Ok so second question. Say a VONC passes mid-September. There's a two week period of no government, nobody commands a majority, general election gets triggered. If I'm remembering right, isn't there a fixed length to GE campaigns, like 5 weeks or something? So if the VONC passes/GE gets triggered too late, wouldn't the election necessarily have to be after 10/31?

Also, what's the stuff I've been hearing about Boris somehow gaming the election timing to force it to be after 10/31 anyway?

Corbyn might fail to get a majority initially but I'd be very surprised if he fails to get one at all, at that point it'll essentially be Corbyn or No Deal (with the BBC carrying that message because they love to dumb complicated issues down to make them sound simple) and there are at least 2 or 3 Lib Dems/CUKs/remainer Tories with enough awareness that voting for No Deal will kill their careers stone loving dead (OK maybe not the CUKs since they're dead in the water already).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

happyhippy posted:

Sensible talk now please.

I think we should attack Dublin first using submarines, seeing thats the main hub of communication for the Republic and it will hard to counter against.
Level RTE studios and army bases at once, then the Dail, then the main council buildings in Dublin, Cork, Galway, Waterford, Sligo and any others that seem to have any gatherings over the next few days.

At the end of the first day troops can land anywhere on the east side of Ireland and a foothold can be established for the rest.

And set up revolutionary headquarters in the telephone exchange.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

wocobob posted:

You answer your own question. If a VONC passes but no alternative government is formed then Boris will be forced to call an election. BUT he'll be under no obligation to extend Article 50 before doing so, meaning we'll crash out at some point during the election campaign.

That's why poo poo is beginning to hit the fan, because everyone who wants to prevent No Deal is starting to see the reality that putting Corbyn in charge is the only way to avoid it.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I'm suddenly reminded that Corbyn said the VONC would be coming when Boris least expected it and, well, he was right.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

How so?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
It's been just long enough that people forgot about it, pretty much.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Interestingly enough, the bookies still think No Deal is less likely than not.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 16, 2019

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Bardeh posted:

Interestingly enough, the bookies still think No Deal is the less likely than not.

Not by much though, that's like a 60/40 split if I remember how to read those stupid odd numbers correctly

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I have no idea what any of that means but I know the bookies do not want a no deal brexit. The starving masses eating all the horses is bad for their business.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I mean how likely is it that Corbyn actually pulls this off?

Would the process be

Corbyn puts vote of no confidence
Assuming that gets up, holds a vote for him to be pm
If that happens (even if it fails as long as the numbers get up in 14 days) then he is pm
He holds a vote to extend brexit deadline
He holds a vote for a GE saying if labor win you get a second referendum?

How likely are all of these things to happen? What would the Tories even campaign on in this? “Vote for us and we will get a deal that we didn’t do in the years we already have?”

In a side note is Johnson’s team even negotiating a deal with the eu right now? The langauge is always “we want a deal but will go no deal if we have to” but there seems to be no sign of anything really happening?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

This whole thing's like Bastani was saying earlier - the general public don't really know many politicians, so if there's some alliance that overthrows the government to frustrate brexit, and it's led by someone people don't recognise, it's gonna look like the most antidemocratic stitchup possible. Even if it's Ken Clarke, the narrative is that Boris and the Tories are on one side (brexit, democracy) and everyone else - including Labour - are against it

So the best chance for credibility is for the actual leader of the Opposition, who everyone basically knows by now, takes charge. It's also the best chance for Labour to look like they're doing the right thing. Which is why Jo Swinson (who def cares about having a candidate with solid majority backing) is just throwing out random names, or just whoever, hey maybe Jeremy has some suggestions of his own?? They're just desperately trying to derail Labour at this point

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

teacup posted:

In a side note is Johnson’s team even negotiating a deal with the eu right now? The langauge is always “we want a deal but will go no deal if we have to” but there seems to be no sign of anything really happening?

the line right now is that "the EU need to compromise with us" which is loving stupid because the deal is the compromise, that's what the negotiation is

naturally the media are sucking him off calling him a strong leader who's standing up to those evil European bullycrats

they want No Deal and they're going to blame the EU for not compromising enough if it happens

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

The lib dems proper clegged themselves today.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Nah this is just a media loss.
A true clegging would be a ++Humiliation

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

humiliation_for_loser_clegg.jpg

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I can't wait to see precisely how everyone manages to gently caress up the last chance to not screw ourselves completely

I hope civilisation still exists in a hundred years so historians can pick apart this clusterfuck in minute detail and laugh at us. It's what we deserve

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Johnson has not even talked to any European leader, iirc. It took him over a week to even have a phone call with Varadkar. He's literally doing nothing.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Funny you should mention that:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bardeh posted:

Interestingly enough, the bookies still think No Deal is less likely than not.

Always remember that apart from ultra-long-odds specials or at the very first moment they offer the bet, bookies don't "think" anything - odds reflect the bets that have been received to that point.

Also remember that politics odds are almost inevitably even worse predictors of the future than horse racing odds (or political polls).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

jaete posted:

I'm pretty sure the nature of international treaties in general and this EU treaty in particular makes it completely impossible for the EU to unilaterally extend anything. I'm also pretty sure that because of this impossibility they also don't want to gently caress around with it in any way since the EU kinda, you know, likes international treaties and abiding by them and all that.

e: goldarn a snipe. well, ok: Brexit - easy as 1-2-3

Yes, but the thinking until relatively recently was apparently that if an election campaign was ongoing a unilateral extension would be possible. Sorry for the vagueness, I'm paraphrasing something I read in a tweet I now can't find.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I've gone out and had a few beers.

Had fun, chatted with a person who has apparently been interested in me for a bit, but now isn't so much. They are really cool, but I don't want to push things.

I am so tired. Hope everyone is well
Love
Josef.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

pablo gbscobar posted:

amazing

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
People are finally realizing the only thing the lib dems care about is private property and every other policy is just window dressing? Fabulous.

Corbyn is a political genius.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Chuka Umana posted:

People are finally realizing the only thing the lib dems care about is private property and every other policy is just window dressing? Fabulous.

Corbyn is a political genius.

I'm quite honestly not sure they even care about that at this point, I'm starting to think their true, core principle is simply to make the Lib Dems as hated and unelectable as possible.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

I'm quite honestly not sure they even care about that at this point, I'm starting to think their true, core principle is simply to make the Lib Dems as hated and unelectable as possible.

It's been clear for ages what the core principle of the Lib Dems is, though. It's: :clegg:

Awful CompSloth
Dec 15, 2018

Demiurge4 posted:

Man its so surreal reading this thread and the poo poo you post from twitter. What IS it that has the entirety of the political establishment so loving terrified of this polite old granddad? I don't even think its his policies at this point, there has to be something loving earth shattering secret he'd have access to as PM they don't want him near.

A Very British Coup

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Interested to see if the Lib Dem’s can somehow gently caress up today worse than yesterday :v:

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

Man its so surreal reading this thread and the poo poo you post from twitter. What IS it that has the entirety of the political establishment so loving terrified of this polite old granddad? I don't even think its his policies at this point, there has to be something loving earth shattering secret he'd have access to as PM they don't want him near.

You're right!

We all know the secret too, and know just why they're afraid of him.

(It's that capitalism is bad)

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

teacup posted:

What would the Tories even campaign on in this? “Vote for us and we will get a deal that we didn’t do in the years we already have?”

It's what the Brexit Party says that matters. Brexiters might not have many options.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I can't read the article because :lol: at registering for the Telegraph website, but:

https://twitter.com/FraserNelson/status/1162248277644832769

:cawg:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

pablo gbscobar posted:

same as it ever was