Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ryonguy posted:

Sadly I'm way too dumb and also stuck in the middle of the country away from rich idiots.

Can't you invent from pretend work from home business model and then sell that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

FilthyImp posted:

I remember the days when if you didn't have an AOL keyword things just didn't exist on the net.
Like Kellog cereals would tell you to Go To AOL Keyword Kellogs... it wasn't until like 97 that go to https://www.kellogs.com started being more popular.

I almost got roped into one of those scibowl things in middle school, pretty much as the "computer nerd". They handed me a paper that was like "Find the largest mountain in California", "What is the mascot for UC Santa Cruz" and I thought they were loving with me when I found them in like a minute and were floored.

WebCrawler launched in 1994 and did a pretty good job of keyword-based search. I switched to AltaVista (as a keyword search engine) sometime in the late 90s, then to Google when it came out. I don't think I ever used a curated-category site, but it did seem popular.

And yeah, Yahoo's Alexa rank is still 9th in the world, even today when they seem to be imploding.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MickeyFinn posted:

There are other companies that rent office space long term and take on short term renters. There is profit to be made in offering liquidity to the office rental market. The problem is, like Uber, this core idea doesn’t scale and that means the founders and initial investors will be stuck running a business for decades hoping that their investment pays off modestly. In the current environment they have the option of making ridiculous promises and trying to get out as billionqaires before the scam ends. And the latter sounds way more appealing. So here we are. Creative destruction is a wonderful market force, as long as you get paid first.

no, the founders pumped up the stock, used his wework stock to leverage buyouts of the buildings, founded a second company to own buildings, and now are using investor cash to pay rent to the founders second company

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Lead out in cuffs posted:

WebCrawler launched in 1994 and did a pretty good job of keyword-based search. I switched to AltaVista (as a keyword search engine) sometime in the late 90s, then to Google when it came out. I don't think I ever used a curated-category site, but it did seem popular.

And yeah, Yahoo's Alexa rank is still 9th in the world, even today when they seem to be imploding.

Imploding is an odd term to use for a company bought at a cut-rate $4.5 billion 2 years ago and revalued to well under $200 million by the end of last year. I would go more with "already imploded".

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

How Uber Makes Its Drivers Pay

quote:

When he stopped driving, he had made about $5,000, but the value of his SUV had dropped from $20,000 to about $15,000. Reviewing his records, the driver found that at least 80% of the miles he drove during that period were for Uber, making about $4,000 of the decline in value attributable to his work for the firm. He was going to have to pay for two service visits, higher insurance rates, and new tires sooner than if he hadn’t been an Uber driver—which all added up to somewhere north of $3,000 in additional costs. In short, he was worse off financially than when he started.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I think we've been through this before in this very thread. Uber is not a job. It's a way to trade vehicle equity into quick cash, while also being a time sink.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Uber is screwing their drivers, but this is just bad arithmetic.

quote:

the value of his SUV had dropped from $20,000 to about $15,000. Reviewing his records, the driver found that at least 80% of the miles he drove during that period were for Uber, making about $4,000 of the decline in value attributable to his work for the firm.

The passage of time had nothing to do with it?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Motronic posted:

I think we've been through this before in this very thread. Uber is not a job. It's a way to trade vehicle equity into quick cash, while also being a time sink.

Do you think the drivers all see it this way?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Platystemon posted:

Uber is screwing their drivers, but this is just bad arithmetic.

The passage of time had nothing to do with it?

Depreciation is heavily tied to mileage and I think especially so when your mileage is unusually high (as an Uber driver's would be) so it's not totally unfair to say that if 80% of their mileage was for Uber then 80% of that depreciation was due to their Uber driving.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
O.K. so after Googling the article’s title so I can click through and bypass the paywall, I see that the vehicle was already a few years old and he only drove for Uber for two months.

If the valuations are accurate, Uber really did cost him that much.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

uggy posted:

Do you think the drivers all see it this way?

Obviously not because they wouldn't be doing it otherwise.

This is just preying on people who are economically disadvantaged and uninformed.

This particular example may have bullshit numbers, but the theme is still largely correct.

And by largely I mean there are areas/drivers that definitely make a living wage. But that seems to be the exception.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

If it "worked" for Uber...

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
The Bigger Fool ™ theory is a valid business model!

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yahoo is still popular in some countries.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Yahoo is still popular in some countries.

Yahoo! Japan is an entirely separate company (has been since it was started - it was a joint venture with SoftBank), and Yahoo!'s stake in it was not sold to Verizon. It has the same branding and general look as older iterations of Yahoo! proper's services but it really doesn't count. It's by far the Yahoo! brand's most successful country right now tho, it's more or like the breadth of use that Google itself receives in most of the world. And for that matter, it relies heavily on Google's services such as for the search engine (Main Yahoo! has primarily had search services provided by Bing with minor additional services by Google for search, since about a decade ago).

Yahoo! also had particularly outsize popularity in non-PRC Chinese nations like Singapore and Hong Kong and Taiwan, but it seems to be on a decline these days. It was also more popular than you'd expect in the PHillipines but seems to be having issues there from general lack of Verizon's interest in supporting the international services.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Feinne posted:

Depreciation is heavily tied to mileage and I think especially so when your mileage is unusually high (as an Uber driver's would be) so it's not totally unfair to say that if 80% of their mileage was for Uber then 80% of that depreciation was due to their Uber driving.

That dummy shoulda bought a Tesla, Elon said it's guaranteed to appreciate in value as soon as Full Self Destruction is approved by the regulators

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

no, the founders pumped up the stock, used his wework stock to leverage buyouts of the buildings, founded a second company to own buildings, and now are using investor cash to pay rent to the founders second company

I admit to not paying too much attention to the details of this particular scam, but they all have to start at making crazy promises so they can get the valuation and move on to second order scams. I thought the first rule of grifting was to not use your own money?

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish
https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1161762187590995974?s=20

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Feinne posted:

Depreciation is heavily tied to mileage

The initial depreciation isn't. A used car is just instantly worth less and most cars lose 20% of their value the second it's the next calendar year just by no longer being a new car.

Like saying that uber costs money and eats into your initial profit is a real thing, driving uber does put wear on your car and causes it to lose value, but including the initial drop from 20,000 to 15,000 as entirely just wear is very disingenuous math just trying to make a fake big number.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The Uber defender has logged on, welcome to the Resistance OOCC

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The initial depreciation isn't. A used car is just instantly worth less and most cars lose 20% of their value the second it's the next calendar year just by no longer being a new car.

Like saying that uber costs money and eats into your initial profit is a real thing, driving uber does put wear on your car and causes it to lose value, but including the initial drop from 20,000 to 15,000 as entirely just wear is very disingenuous math just trying to make a fake big number.
The vehicle wasn't new when he started, and he only ubered for two months.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol COME ON

https://twitter.com/FatTailCapital/status/1161752827812880384

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The car wasn't new.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

The more I learn about WeWork the more impressive it is. Presumably, their investors know this stuff and they are supposedly “sophisticated” investors, so how WeWork keeps the grift going is truly impressive.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
In addition to the mileage, using your car as a taxi puts significantly more wear and tear on it than normal use. You have a lot of idling, stop and go traffic, shorter trips, and of bunch of people in your car who are not concerned with preserving the interior. I would never buy a car that was used as an Uber without a deep discount, and dealerships are starting to ask about it when people trade cars in.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
In-depth analysis of the We Company IPO filings

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Note the age of the character.

Not an accident.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Konstantin posted:

In addition to the mileage, using your car as a taxi puts significantly more wear and tear on it than normal use. You have a lot of idling, stop and go traffic, shorter trips, and of bunch of people in your car who are not concerned with preserving the interior. I would never buy a car that was used as an Uber without a deep discount, and dealerships are starting to ask about it when people trade cars in.

Yeah but look on the bright side: there are few cold starts.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
In Today's News: Amazon is literally a cyberpunk dystopia

https://twitter.com/AmazonFCHannah/status/1161910397336768512

If you find yourself emotionally sensitive to the suffering of others, please for the love of god don't read the rest of this account's tweets

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

A big flaming stink posted:

In Today's News: Amazon is literally a cyberpunk dystopia

https://twitter.com/AmazonFCHannah/status/1161910397336768512

If you find yourself emotionally sensitive to the suffering of others, please for the love of god don't read the rest of this account's tweets

It's wild:

Technocrat posted:

https://twitter.com/rulesObeyer/status/1161820065773182976

A back-and-forth with Amazon's multiple totally real factory personnel who just want to tell everyone how great Amazon warehouses are

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

monetizing the rotting hot potato

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

ok so how many ubers is $219,000 per hour

In other news: engineer.ai, a startup, claims to automate app making but actually just uses humans. Theranos model still going strong it seems

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It's artificial artificial intelligence

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Konstantin posted:

Don't forget the puke

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I did make an effort not to throw up in the rideshare car that one time. (I wasn't drunk, just sick)

Stickfigure
Sep 4, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thank you for your service.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/dulcedecommie/status/1161964053343772672?s=19

https://twitter.com/PierreMenard/status/1162025558978510848?s=19

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It wouldn't be nearly as disturbing if they weren't both enthusiastic and clearly so goddamn bad at it.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
There's a lot being hurled at Amazon over this.

Couldn't the simpler explanation just be that working at Amazon warehouses makes you younger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It wouldn't be nearly as disturbing if they weren't both enthusiastic and clearly so goddamn bad at it.

The mind-melting part of this is how poo poo they are at it.

Cheesus posted:

Couldn't the simpler explanation just be that working at Amazon warehouses makes you younger?

The simpler explanation is that this isn't actually from Amazon because while they do abuse their warehouse workers I can't imagine that a tech company their size that deals with the number of product reviews that go through their servers is this bad at astroturfing.