Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Finally got around to finishing the Underworld and Atlantis DLCs. I didn't care for Underworld, but Atlantis was neat.

So, there's the First Blade DLC, Atlantis DLC, and all the Tales of Greece. Is there anything else planned or have I finally reached the end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

10 Beers posted:

Finally got around to finishing the Underworld and Atlantis DLCs. I didn't care for Underworld, but Atlantis was neat.

So, there's the First Blade DLC, Atlantis DLC, and all the Tales of Greece. Is there anything else planned or have I finally reached the end?

There’s at least one more lost tale and the discovery tour out next month but nothing past that is known.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I hope they're done releasing stuff because the game is already somewhat bloated and they could finally sell the season pass at a discount :(

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The final Lost Tale of Greece will be titled Patience is a Virtue and will require you to perform every single quest from the game in reverse.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
With no weapons or offensive skills

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Finally, the authentic Assassin's Creed experience fans have been asking for.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
The final Lost Tale takes you to Hades where it makes you play the A.C.3 Remaster.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Never thought I'd see the day where we all talk about a game having too much content and post release support but here we are

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Ubi pls let me forget about AC for a month

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Never thought I'd see the day where we all talk about a game having too much content and post release support but here we are

Overstaying their welcome has been a complaint about Ubi games in forever. And pretty much all of the "Tales of Greece" are hot garbage, sequences of uninspired fetch quests. If that's the kind of post-release content they're going to provide, they should cool it.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
Counter point :
" one really bad day" is the best quest chain in the game .

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I’ve been playing the game for a while, and after doing 1 of 2 demands from the two kings I can safely say that so far everything Sparta has been an absolute steaming pile poo poo. first the handwaving of Helots, and then (immediately after I helped Hippokrates rescuing some slaves so he wouldn’t feel terrible helping a spacer) having Kassandra go “goddamn traitor Spartans for trying to help Helot uprisings, they have to die!”

gently caress Sparta

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

on the upside, hunting cultists has been fun

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

admataY posted:

Counter point :
" one really bad day" is the best quest chain in the game .

This is the truest thing posted in this whole drat thread.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Two of the lost tales of Greece are just a boss battle if I remember right.

So those are good too. No long quest chain or anything just go here and have a boss fight.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I only played a couple but I liked the one where you sleep with two effeminate brothers and steal their dead dad's armor

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
What level scaling would make the game the absolute easiest? I know it would be Light, Medium, Heavy in that order but where does Default fit in?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Default is just whatever your current difficulty is set to. Light makes the level scaling curve as low as it is on Easy regardless of difficulty, etc.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

ulvir posted:

I’ve been playing the game for a while, and after doing 1 of 2 demands from the two kings I can safely say that so far everything Sparta has been an absolute steaming pile poo poo. first the handwaving of Helots, and then (immediately after I helped Hippokrates rescuing some slaves so he wouldn’t feel terrible helping a spacer) having Kassandra go “goddamn traitor Spartans for trying to help Helot uprisings, they have to die!”

gently caress Sparta

amen. The justifications for state terrorism pissed me off to no end.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Do the S tier mercenaries work differently at all? I've picked it up again now the DLC seems to be mostly done and I'd like the get the benefits of S2/S3 and do S4 because I can't stand not being #1, but these guys just don't seem to be spawning? I'm keeping my bounty up, get clues and track down any unknowns I spot on my compass but the only guy I've met ahead of me in the rankings was the very first one I met about ten minutes after patching.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

ð’» 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®ð’ ð’¾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Man I thought maybe there'd be a lore payoff for finishing the terrible DLC but no it's just more stupid poo poo with poorly written dialogue with people I don't even remember seeing before. Odyssey had me hooked for a long time but this puts a sour taste in my mouth.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Man I thought maybe there'd be a lore payoff for finishing the terrible DLC but no it's just more stupid poo poo with poorly written dialogue with people I don't even remember seeing before. Odyssey had me hooked for a long time but this puts a sour taste in my mouth.

Yeah, story wise the last DLC isn’t a great note to end on, but the first 100 hours or so was so good :(

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Just finished the game (not the DLC, just the main quest) and I've come to the conclusion that the true opinion to have on the differences between Alexios and Kassandra is that both of the voice actors are absolutely fantastic, its just that Kassandra's is near perfect throughout the entire game. She nails both the role of the villain and the protagonist so well that I'm surprised that shes not in demand as an actress as much as she should be.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I’ve been playing through the DLC and there are some real emotional moments that I think would be hard for most voice actors to pull off (like the love interest in Legacy of the First Blade because they’re as interesting as wet paper), but Kassandra’s actress SELLS it so well in her reactions that it just manages to work.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 16, 2019

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So I'm playing origins after finishing 80 hours in odyssey and doing practically everything in that game.

Its crazy how much odyssey improves over origins. More/better combat skills, lots of quality of life improvements (holding down summons your horse and auto gets you on it in odyssey, it doesn't in origins) and origins feels more sparce in content, usually I just have to visit each location and get the treasure and maybe kill an elite to mark a location as complete.
And the story seems shorter. Less cultists as well.

Origins really was more like a proof of concept for Odyssey isn't it?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Ineffiable posted:

So I'm playing origins after finishing 80 hours in odyssey and doing practically everything in that game.

Its crazy how much odyssey improves over origins. More/better combat skills, lots of quality of life improvements (holding down summons your horse and auto gets you on it in odyssey, it doesn't in origins) and origins feels more sparce in content, usually I just have to visit each location and get the treasure and maybe kill an elite to mark a location as complete.

Odyssey got rid of camels and will forever be inferior for that reason alone

EDIT: also petting cats

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 17, 2019

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

Odyssey got rid of camels and will forever be inferior for that reason alone

EDIT: also petting cats

Origins had the most realistic cat-petting mechanics I've ever seen in a video game; you squat down near one and hope it deigns to allow it

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

Agreed when it comes to systems and mechanics. Odyssey is a gorgeous game and I dig some of the environments, like the autumnal forests of Makedonia and the island paradise of Mykonos.

Over time I've grown to prefer the atmosphere of Origins. The whole experience evokes mortality and the afterlife. I also think it did a better job of diversifying the environments.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ineffiable posted:

thats ubisoft in a nutshell. the previous game good or otherwise is always the prototype for the next game.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thats ubisoft in a nutshell. the previous game good or otherwise is always the prototype for the next game.

Yeah it's just really bluntly on the nose when you go from odyssey to origins. Almost everything is doubled. Map size is larger, feels like you get more combat skills, more content in locations to do.

I've spoken before that odyssey has a weird point where about 5 hours in, you need to do all the side missions (currently available) just to be a high enough level to do the next story mission. After that though you're good for the rest of the game. Feels like in origins, you're constantly under leveled unless you do two side missions in between every story mission.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I think Origins nails the world design and detail far better than Odyssey, the world just had so many little touches that made you really feel like this was a living breathing world.

Odyssey gets the characters and minute to minute gameplay a bit better.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Yeah I won't deny that. From a story perspective, origins is better. Ancient Egypt hasn't been done as much as a Greek setting.

From every single thing game play wise, odyssey is better.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Not just the story, the map in Origins is also more interesting, with distinct zones with unique looks (instead of 3/4 of the map covered in water or the same looking island landmass), and with tombs actually worth exploring.

And in terms of mechanics and gameplay, Odyssey does flesh out the systems Origins introduced but sometimes the Origins systems simply had a different focus, so I don't agree the Odyssey versions are better in every way. Sometimes they're just different and you may prefer Odyssey's direction.

Like, the new gear system adds a lot of inventory busywork in order to have some bonus customization and more items. Origins was less interested in being an item-based RPG so it just lets you pick a look (with outfits), your character power is mostly based on your tools that are permanently upgraded like the ship in Odyssey. That's fine too and I never think "gosh I wish I had 5 armor items to customize my stats on top of my weapon" at any point when I return to Origins occasionally. And the weapons in Origins are part of the ability customization, in Odyssey they're part of your RPG character progression and the ability customization got changed to the new streamlined skill trees that contain all the active abilities you have to level, respec to and change the ability slots of. I think either works for the respective game's direction with regards to combat (Origins is more about timing/dodging and using your tools, Odyssey is about kicking people off ledges after setting them on fire, then rushing into them - or you sneak around and one-shot almost everyone in either game).

Origins also has a bunch of QoL things that somehow didn't make it into the next game. You can fast travel to almost any town's center and if you go swimming a guy in a boat spawns and comes over to you (it's funny the game with a lot more water and underwater content doesn't do that). Origins also does lootboxes as part of the game better (well, for the player - I assume for Ubisoft the account-bound currency, daily/weekly quests and NPC shop cycling through lootbox items in Odyssey is better) and the Animus control panel on PC beats Odyssey's settings and creator mode (IMO).

Oh, and I forgot about the conquest feature which is pointless and stupid an I would not miss it for a second if it wasn't in this game, so Origins not having it is a bonus :colbert:

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I can see that Odyssey has a lot of more features and is generally much bigger but honestly a lot of the time I've been playing Odyssey I've been thinking about Origins. The world itself is really the big thing for me.

The way they spread things out and put things in logical places feels so natural and right compared to Odysseys "oh it's been 500m since the last thing better pop down another bandit camp" style of world filling. It felt like a game full of real places that meant something and had a purpose and an identity. I love that they were happy to put in the long empty roads and expanses of rock and sand without feeling the need to fill them with poo poo. They didn't even need trees big forests or anything to hide the fact that there's not much there. It feels so much more real rather than this homogeneous mass of near identical video game locations.

In fact that's one of the things I love the most, the lack of pointless vegetation and other shite. I took so many great screenshots in Origins, but everywhere I look in Odyssey is full of a tonne of visual noise that doesn't mean anything. In both games, I could stand at a vantage point and turn 180 degrees and still see the same thing, but in Odyssey that same thing was distracting and ugly whereas in Origins it was just clear space getting out of the way of the interesting bits. For most of Origins, you can look out across the map and anything you see, you know you can go there and you can find something. In Odyssey it always feels very closed and there's a bunch of stuff in front of me, I always feel like I'm navigating via markers and the world map which feels super gamey. Exploring Origins just felt so good, following whatever looked interesting and getting lost in the world rather than referring back to the game parts of it.

Even the landmarks in Odyssey don't really compare. It might be because I've spent more time with Greek mythology than Egyptian, but there's just nothing in Odyssey that stands up to climbing the Sphinx or the Pyramids or even the smaller temples and forts. All these buildings look the same, none of them feel like they've got much history behind them, I could be in any one of a dozen different places in Greece and not really know. In Origins every bit felt unique and special, a new and interesting thing to explore that was distinct and significant.

Also Kassandra and co. might be a lot of fun, but ultimately I just think she's not as compelling as Bayek and Aya. A messy blank slate is entertaining but it's not something that sticks in your mind in the same way as an actual character with a concrete and consistent motivation and goal and mindset. It gets worse in the DLC (I know this has been complained about endlessly) when they actually do force her down a development path, and it just feels all wrong. Character development probably shouldn't feel like a negative, and yet...

A lot of Odyssey just doesn't feel like it needs to be there. It doesn't really add anything other than playtime, and in doing so dilutes the experience of the best bits.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Deformed Church posted:

In fact that's one of the things I love the most, the lack of pointless vegetation and other shite.

I always assumed the excessive prevalence of deserts in RPGs was because they're easy to design and less demanding for hardware, but I did sometimes wonder if it's partly because developers who live in less leafy areas than I do find barren landscapes more appealing.

It never occurred to me that they'd be thinking 'these plants are so pointless', though.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Oh dear me posted:

I always assumed the excessive prevalence of deserts in RPGs was because they're easy to design and less demanding for hardware, but I did sometimes wonder if it's partly because developers who live in less leafy areas than I do find barren landscapes more appealing.

It never occurred to me that they'd be thinking 'these plants are so pointless', though.

What do the forests add? I guess authenticity to the region?

As an example, if I were to run from Lamia in Malis to Lalaia in Phokis, I'd spend most of that time in the forest. The only effect of that forest on my gameplay is that I can't really see what's ahead of me. I'd probably get ambushed by a bear or three on the route, which might be interesting but is also kind of annoying after the first fifty times. It also forces me to use markers and the game menus to keep myself in the right direction, which feels very video game and not so much ancient Greek mercenary.

I get that actual desert doesn't work in Greece the way in does in Egypt, but they could definitely have more farmland or plains and fewer trees. I don't think anyone would make the Malis to Phokis journey and think "this is awful, where are the trees" if it was a little more open. At the end of the day, we're just navigating from point to point, whether those points are an interesting quest objective or a random enemy or a bit of iron on the ground, and the endless forests tend to get in the way. Easy to design and less taxing are good for developers and consumers. Devs spending less time designing and placing trees I will never stop to look at means less work for them and faster development for me, and less demand on hardware means less expense for me and a wider audience for them.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Deformed Church posted:

[...]The way they spread things out and put things in logical places feels so natural and right compared to Odysseys "oh it's been 500m since the last thing better pop down another bandit camp" style of world filling. It felt like a game full of real places that meant something and had a purpose and an identity. I love that they were happy to put in the long empty roads and expanses of rock and sand without feeling the need to fill them with poo poo. They didn't even need trees big forests or anything to hide the fact that there's not much there. It feels so much more real rather than this homogeneous mass of near identical video game locations. [...]
vs

Ineffiable posted:

[...] and origins feels more sparce in content, usually I just have to visit each location and get the treasure and maybe kill an elite to mark a location as complete.

This is pretty interesting because I absolutely prefer the Origins way, but I understand people who want the Odyssey feeling even if (or probably: because) it's more gamey in the end. You could argue the sea is Odyssey's way of adding stretches of nothing, but once again that's less interesting than what Origins does with its deserts and plains. Odyssey has cool areas too but they're the few unique islands among a majority of the landmass that is very samey (albeit pretty). To me the bandit camp/fort/hovel every few hundred meters does nothing in Odyssey, it doesn't make the game world seem more believable, and having all those points of "interest" with 10 objectives each instead of half as many with 1-3 just adds to the game feeling bloated.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I feel like the fact that they want to be RPGs isn't inherently bad but they sure as poo poo are barely Assassin's creed games so much as they're Ubisoft Games where you climb things and occasionally stab people

If a combat encounter pasta longer than three minutes in AC it's bad. In this one, at least, the chain assassin skill means that I can get rid of groups of four at a time and then focus assassin heavier foes but jfc the dullness of the other fights...

I feel like they just added the RPG garbage to let them stretch the game put more because actually giving real rewards would have sucked.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Deformed Church posted:

What do the forests add? I guess authenticity to the region?

Yes, realism, and also beauty and visual interest and the wellbeing that comes from seeing nature. A big reason I play Odyssey is just to be running around freely in a beautiful place, and I often stop and look.

(Probably why I have never managed to enjoy any Fallout game.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I still just reject outright the idea that a 'true' AC game should be more than 1/3 outside of cities.