Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I would presume it's the same thing that compels people to collect karma from Reddit. Each upvote and each download is like an individual validation and every day that number goes up is further validation. If that number were to stop going up, especially unexpectedly, bad things gonna happen.

Yeah but if you manage to get your lovely mod into a bit titty nod pack, number go up a lot

e: fitting Skyrim snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Will it though? Whenever I visit Nexus I search for mods by most downloaded. A mod pack is a totally new download with a separate counter and would start at the bottom of the Most Downloaded list, severely limiting exposure. That's the idea behind their reluctance, I imagine.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Yeah but in the end it's an e-peen thing. Would be totally legit to say 'downloaded x times in total (including mod packs).

And if it's really an auto loader, who knows maybe the can make it as a script that realler does download each mod individually

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
That "modpack" idea sounds like a good compromise to the traditional modpack download such as Minecraft has, and the complete chaos of the current "assembled lists". I like it, and look forward to its implementation.

edit for more content:

I've been on a Skyrim VR kick, and it's really cool. Regarding the Skyblivion release -- and I know it's probably not built on Skyrim SE -- but wouldn't it be a step to getting Oblivion in VR? Now that would be awesome sauce.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Lord Stimperor posted:

And if it's really an auto loader, who knows maybe the can make it as a script that realler does download each mod individually

It seems to be exactly what they're planning.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 17, 2019

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Was gonna do a fresh Skyrim VR install and a fresh mod install... Anything from here am awful idea? Any other key VR mods? What's the best non-anime skin/model mod... I don't want creepy plastic people or even everyone to suddenly be models with dirt on their faces, I just don't want them all looking like really lovely cartoon characters drawn by a drunk guy.

https://youtu.be/XlxiQEYH02I

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Fuzz posted:

Was gonna do a fresh Skyrim VR install and a fresh mod install... Anything from here am awful idea? Any other key VR mods? What's the best non-anime skin/model mod... I don't want creepy plastic people or even everyone to suddenly be models with dirt on their faces, I just don't want them all looking like really lovely cartoon characters drawn by a drunk guy.

https://youtu.be/XlxiQEYH02I

I'm using a variant of this mod list, and it's really, really great, the most fun I've ever had with an Elder Scrolls:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RaLGgGMBzsIynYFoU-VoPaZc2u0cI0QnATfKnl6iyWM/edit

I'd add for VR specifically:
* SkyrimVR mirror (let's you look at yourself)
* VR inverse kinematics (VRIK, gives you a rendered body)
* Realistic Ragdolls and Force (gives you control over how strong the ragdoll effect is; tone it down a little bit so what you do feels more real)
* No Stagger Mod (So you don't get staggered during combat, which is really jarring in VR)

For combat:
* Spellsiphon (a magic/archery combo mod, where you create and apply elemental effects using magic, and can use your magic bow to trigger them. Includes possibility of combo attacks. It's REALLY fun**)
* Archery
* Smilodon
* No BS AI projectile Dodge (AI won't magically evade arrows)
* Mortal Enemies
* SkyTEST incl. mortal enemies patch (makes animals behave more realistically)
* Skyrim Revamped - Complete Enemy Overhaul

For general immersion, in and outside of VR:
* Bow Before The Dead - gives draugrs a really demonic and menacing voice, they taunt and come at you
* Relationship Dialogue Overhaul + Realistic conversations - NPC dialogue is far less weird, awkward and non sequitur, and you chat up NPCs by talking about the weather

And then there's a bunch of visual mods that make Skyrim look like something coherent. Mods like beautiful cities, distinct interiors (!! winterhold college gets floating candles and flying swarms of books), all those lighting mods, and loving Obsidian Weather (just a general weather/lighting mod, but it also creates the floaty streaks of clouds that shroud the mountains and cliffs, and makes a bunch of places look real mysterious). Look at the list I linked.

** Okay so picture this: you and your companion are standing in front of the door, with a bunch of bandits, mages, or draugr on the other side. You know that poo poo is getting tough, so you draw magicks from your environment and form a fireball in your right hand. The door opens, you storm in. You fling the fireball at the first enemy you see. They catch fire. Then you pull out your conjured bow, and aim it at the poor sob you just engulfed in flames. When the arrow strikes, an enormous explosion blasts everything around him to the side. Time slows down. Through a cloud of flying pottery and furniture, you stride across the room and dish out arrows into every direction. As time picks up again, corpses fall onto the fiery floor. By this time, your companion has caught up with you and engages an enemy. You draw life force from another poor sob, and load it's effect on another enemy. While the enemy archers are closing in, you ready your magic bow again, and fire a shot at your new, magically charged target. It's a killing blow. Everything turns white. Your heartbeat ceases. As you step out of the ball of light, time has come to a stand still. Arrows and magic projectiles are suspended in mid-air, people are frozen. You gracefully walk through the room, and with your bow tap every one of your enemies. Tap, tap, tap. You mark every one of them to perish with the time rift you're in. Your heartbeat speeds up again. You know it's time. You close your eyes, and breathe out. Time returns, and everyone you marked is struck and thrown against the wall by the time rift you've created, dying on impact.

Put on some Amon Amarth and enjoy some dungeons.

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 18, 2019

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Lord Stimperor posted:

I'm using a variant of this mod list, and it's really, really great, the most fun I've ever had with an Elder Scrolls:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RaLGgGMBzsIynYFoU-VoPaZc2u0cI0QnATfKnl6iyWM/edit

I'd add for VR specifically:
* SkyrimVR mirror (let's you look at yourself)
* VR inverse kinematics (VRIK, gives you a rendered body)
* Realistic Ragdolls and Force (gives you control over how strong the ragdoll effect is; tone it down a little bit so what you do feels more real)
* No Stagger Mod (So you don't get staggered during combat, which is really jarring in VR)

For combat:
* Spellsiphon (a magic/archery combo mod, where you create and apply elemental effects using magic, and can use your magic bow to trigger them. Includes possibility of combo attacks. It's REALLY fun**)
* Archery
* Smilodon
* No BS AI projectile Dodge (AI won't magically evade arrows)
* Mortal Enemies
* SkyTEST incl. mortal enemies patch (makes animals behave more realistically)
* Skyrim Revamped - Complete Enemy Overhaul

For general immersion, in and outside of VR:
* Bow Before The Dead - gives draugrs a really demonic and menacing voice, they taunt and come at you
* Relationship Dialogue Overhaul + Realistic conversations - NPC dialogue is far less weird, awkward and non sequitur, and you chat up NPCs by talking about the weather

And then there's a bunch of visual mods that make Skyrim look like something coherent. Mods like beautiful cities, distinct interiors (!! winterhold college gets floating candles and flying swarms of books), all those lighting mods, and loving Obsidian Weather (just a general weather/lighting mod, but it also creates the floaty streaks of clouds that shroud the mountains and cliffs, and makes a bunch of places look real mysterious). Look at the list I linked.

** Okay so picture this: you and your companion are standing in front of the door, with a bunch of bandits, mages, or draugr on the other side. You know that poo poo is getting tough, so you draw magicks from your environment and form a fireball in your right hand. The door opens, you storm in. You fling the fireball at the first enemy you see. They catch fire. Then you pull out your conjured bow, and aim it at the poor sob you just engulfed in flames. When the arrow strikes, an enormous explosion blasts everything around him to the side. Time slows down. Through a cloud of flying pottery and furniture, you stride across the room and dish out arrows into every direction. As time picks up again, corpses fall onto the fiery floor. By this time, your companion has caught up with you and engages an enemy. You draw life force from another poor sob, and load it's effect on another enemy. While the enemy archers are closing in, you ready your magic bow again, and fire a shot at your new, magically charged target. It's a killing blow. Everything turns white. Your heartbeat ceases. As you step out of the ball of light, time has come to a stand still. Arrows and magic projectiles are suspended in mid-air, people are frozen. You gracefully walk through the room, and with your bow tap every one of your enemies. Tap, tap, tap. You mark every one of them to perish with the time rift you're in. Your heartbeat speeds up again. You know it's time. You close your eyes, and breathe out. Time returns, and everyone you marked is struck and thrown against the wall by the time rift you've created, dying on impact.

Put on some Amon Amarth and enjoy some dungeons.

That's a pretty cool list, though I don't want to use WICO since it breaks poo poo like FNIS and then I can't use this combat animation mod I'd seen on my phone but can't seem to find the drat thing now... it basically changes NPC animations so there are more varied styles of attacks and whatnot, and I know it wouldn't apply to your avatar in VR (yay motoin controls) but it would be nice to have enemies that don't have the same canned BS, particularly my companions.

Anyone know the name of the mod I'm thinking of? It's not the "Pretty Animations" or whatever which seems to be mostly female animations and stupid, it's just a generic "here are some less lovely combat animations" mod.

There's also a way to get Deadly Mutilation working on SE, so I wanted to try that out because VR decapitating people and choppiing them in half with 2H power attacks sounds rad as hell.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Raygereio posted:

So apparently the Nexus is looking at mod packs. They send out a survey to modders asking for feedback.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeaNnHaZ0QJCKiUPvVLvw4RgmyecmGmOwOOylTubazsiMbT2w/formResponse

I made sure to take this and say I was 100% on board with mod packs and I'm looking forward to them. it's both true and will annoy angry grogs like Arthmoor, who is losing his poo poo over it (and Vortex, and everything else)

i don't see any problem with, essentially, automating a bunch of clicking download links. It sounds like an actually good compromise: Authors get their download numbers and endorsements, modpacks are the new low-effort upload spam instead of Racemenu presets, and following the STEP guide gets a whole shitload easier.

the sticking points (I think) are anything requiring merged patches and hopefully there will be some notification to mod authors which of their mods are included in mod packs - but hopefully no way to opt out of being added to modpacks because that's just going to ruin the entire concept from day one. like let's pretend I have a mod you add to your "Worst Mods Ever" modpack, I should get a little notice saying hey, your mod is in Raygereio's Worst Mods Ever modpack! and that's it.

bonus points if the download statistics indicate whether the download was direct, or via modpack (and which) so authors can know which modpacks they might want to care about.

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 18, 2019

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
It was a really dumb idea from the Nexus to call it "mod packs". What they're talking about is clearly not a pack, but just an automated downloader. But the term "mod pack" has people up in arms and bitching about copyright nonsense and their mod shall never be included in any pack and whatnot.

Honestly, I'm not really enthusiastic about this idea. I think it makes the same mistake the Steam Workshop did. A one-click-download-&-install solution is great and all, but Skyrim-modding requires poo poo like creating compatibility / merged patches and various other stuff. So this doesn't really do anything about to make modding simpler for people new to it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Break poo poo in Skyrim!

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/28291?tab=description

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

huh, this is really cool. Been in development since 2015 apparently? Never heard of it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Psion posted:

I made sure to take this and say I was 100% on board with mod packs and I'm looking forward to them. it's both true and will annoy angry grogs like Arthmoor, who is losing his poo poo over it (and Vortex, and everything else)

Same, and answered "What is your one biggest hope/desire regarding a 'mod pack' system made by Nexus Mods?" with "That you ignore the drama lama authors who will kick up a stink about anything that even appears to threaten their bragging rights."

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Raygereio posted:

It was a really dumb idea from the Nexus to call it "mod packs".

They know. The survey asks what you think a mod pack means, what connotation that has for you, describes what this download thing is and asks what you would call it instead.

It puts “mod pack” in quotes every time to drive home it’s the placeholder term.

That said I think it’s not as bad as you. If a mod pack is a one stop “download - install - play game” type of thing, so is this. The only difference is a behind the scenes download of 45 files instead of a giant 7zip or whatever but the net result of both is a mod order.

It’s also relevant that TES modding isn’t the extent of their goals. I doubt stardew valley mods have the same arcane bullshit requirements TES does, for example

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Psion posted:

I doubt stardew valley mods have the same arcane bullshit requirements TES does, for example

They do not. Everything for SDV mods is a self-contained set of files in their own folders. SDV modding is actually quite pleasant if you have any degree of experience with C# and the community is (iirc, it's been a while) lovely.

Edit: As an example, when I first tried my hand at it, it was to update a mod that allowed for regenerating energy. The author had not been around for a while but had left the source code with the download. I played with that and made a version that added a few new features after sending notification to the original author, released it as my own mod with a credit to the original. I kinda drifted from updating this mod, and then around the same time the author of the original came back around, and released a new regeneration mod based off of my improvements with some new features and a credit to me. Everyone was cool with this.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 19, 2019

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

That is exactly how modding should be.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Agents are GO! posted:

That is exactly how modding should be.

:hai:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So my mod list freezes at the Skyrim logo in VR, so I pared it down to like 8 mods (from 92) and am slowly adding more in. For some reason Realm of Lourkhan doesn't work at all, which makes testing stuff tedious as hell since sometimes you need a clean save, but on the plus side I got VRIK working. On the down side has anyone else noticed that it actually fucks up archery and makes your left arm spazz out sometimes because of the collisions? Really annoying.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Enai made a flight mod

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Turns out my issue was with one of the children overhauls that makes them look less like sacks of potatoes but also less like creepy little anime models. (Axe's RS mod on top of RS). Ah well, potato kids it is.

More importantly, had anyone gotten any of the alternate start mods to work in VR? I really hate sitting through that drat intro. Talks of Lorkhan does not, in fact, do poo poo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Live Another Life hasn't given me any problems in non VR skyrim and it doesn't change your abilities, just where you pop up in the world, so it might work better if your main goal is skipping the Helgren sequence.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Found a mod that enhances healing spells to also damage undead and am enjoying a sort of "cleric" playthrough with a 1H mace and the other hand wielding holy fire.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Is it this one?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Live Another Life hasn't given me any problems in non VR skyrim and it doesn't change your abilities, just where you pop up in the world, so it might work better if your main goal is skipping the Helgren sequence.

Yeah, VR Skyrim is a completely different build from regular Skyrim, just like SE. A lot of SE stuff works with VR, but a ton of stuff (like the aforementioned Realm of Lorkhan) that should work does not. Live Another Life (and a bunch of other poo poo that Arthmoor has made) is one of the things that doesn't work.

His tantrum bullshit has apparently kicked into high gear for VR, which he apparently hates and went out of his way to make USSEP UNsupport because reasons, so yeah... need another option.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

It is. It's effective enough that in Bleak Falls Barrow I turned the difficulty up to compensate.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Dick Trauma posted:

It is. It's effective enough that in Bleak Falls Barrow I turned the difficulty up to compensate.

Ordinator has a perk that makes it so your healing spells hurt anything that isn't a robot or atronach. It's pretty good if you ever want to make a sun-knight themed character, just blasting people with healing. Also you can just run your healing hands over a group of npcs like you're watering your garden and not worry about hurting followers and allies

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, VR Skyrim is a completely different build from regular Skyrim, just like SE. A lot of SE stuff works with VR, but a ton of stuff (like the aforementioned Realm of Lorkhan) that should work does not. Live Another Life (and a bunch of other poo poo that Arthmoor has made) is one of the things that doesn't work.

His tantrum bullshit has apparently kicked into high gear for VR, which he apparently hates and went out of his way to make USSEP UNsupport because reasons, so yeah... need another option.
Maybe try Skyrim Unbound?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Can you describe what about Realms of Lorkham doesn't work? Like, does it not even load or something? It works on my Skyrim VR, here is my load order:

https://modwat.ch/u/71829346549/plugins

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Fuzz posted:

that's hilarious.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Lord Stimperor posted:

Can you describe what about Realms of Lorkham doesn't work? Like, does it not even load or something? It works on my Skyrim VR, here is my load order:

https://modwat.ch/u/71829346549/plugins

Do you have screenshots to show off how that lighting combo looks? Do you use an ENB? I'm currently tweaking the look of mine.

Also your order is like, the opposite of how LOOT arranges mine. I thought VRIK is supposed to go as far to the bottom as possible?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Started a new game and so far none of the crashing nonsense I was reporting before, fingats crossed.

But is there a way to module volume of sound effects with more granularity than the steps/dialogue/music/master sliders in the settings? I'd love to tone the rain back a bit.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I got the Skyrim itch again and spent an enjoyable rainy day off installing a bunch of mods for the Special Edition, only to then learn that the only hairstyle mod I ever use was never ported. I grabbed the two most popular hairstyle mods instead and now I've got 800+ different choices of anime bullshit. Seriously considering scrapping it all and doing Oldrim instead.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Well that ponytail one is pretty bad but there are a few comparable hairstyles in KS or apachii or whatever.

Definitely not worth running oldrim over.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Hairstyle mods apparently just work with no porting? I'm using like three LE ones.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Caphi posted:

Hairstyle mods apparently just work with no porting? I'm using like three LE ones.

You need to optimize the nifs and esps for SE, but yeah hair mods are some of the easier mods to port from LE to SE.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Fuzz posted:

Do you have screenshots to show off how that lighting combo looks? Do you use an ENB? I'm currently tweaking the look of mine.

Also your order is like, the opposite of how LOOT arranges mine. I thought VRIK is supposed to go as far to the bottom as possible?

No ENB, but it looks very good. it's probably also the combination with obsidian weather, all those lanterns, and the revamped cities / interior cells. It doesn't compare to vanilla skyrim. When I'm in the game I'll try to make a shot.

I'm not using LOOT. I experienced a bunch of instability in my earlier build and read that LOOT isn't always ideal. I used the order of the mod list. With that I get a crash once every 15 hours so far (2 crashes, 30 hour time).

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lord Stimperor posted:

No ENB, but it looks very good. it's probably also the combination with obsidian weather, all those lanterns, and the revamped cities / interior cells. It doesn't compare to vanilla skyrim. When I'm in the game I'll try to make a shot.

I'm not using LOOT. I experienced a bunch of instability in my earlier build and read that LOOT isn't always ideal. I used the order of the mod list. With that I get a crash once every 15 hours so far (2 crashes, 30 hour time).

it's almost always worth running LOOT then adjusting manually as needed

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Randaconda posted:

If you're adjusting it afterwards, you might as well do the correct thing and not use loot at all.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Randaconda posted:

All I'm saying is the recommended load order worked, the automatic one didn't for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Raygereio posted:

If you're adjusting it afterwards, you might as well do the correct thing and not use loot at all.

Loot is very good about telling me all the mods I installed and didn't get compatibility patches for