Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

psydude posted:

You can sometimes use this to get additional cash rebates. When I bought my car a few years ago, Ford offered me a $3,000 instant rebate to use their financing (which was something stupid like 8.5%). I had to keep the loan for 90 days, after which I immediately refinanced at 1.99% through USAA.

I never drive anymore, though. Barring a traffic accident, I plan on keeping this car until it dies.

Except CarMax charges all of their interest upfront. So if you accept financing through them they automatically add all of the interest to the principal and you are so upside down on the loan, no one will refinance you. It'd be silly to try anyway, since it would mean you pay interest twice.

My wife works at Navy Fed and sees half a dozen people a week trying to refinance Carmax loans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Oooh that’s tricky!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Fallom posted:

Hah, I bought a car a few months ago and the dealership tried to scam me on the financing. They said their only options were 5%+ for an 800+ score. I applied for USAA loan right in front of them and got 3%, after which the finance guy visibly soured and said he magically found a list of companies offering 3.5%.

That is done, once again, for the dealer reserve. Their banks were offering 3% (or less) for an 800 score. This is part of why cash purchases do not have as much negotiating power as financed ones.

This can be used to your advantage if you have the cash to pay off the loan immediately (or refinance) because the dealership gets their reserve regardless.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Vasudus posted:

I'm taking out another credit card because it'll increase my score. Probably gonna go with the Amazon card and just put all my purchases on there.

My goal is to be credit debt free by 2020, and I've got like 7 grand to go so it'll probably happen. Hooray, using my 30s to erase the mistakes of my 20s.

Welcome, brother.

I'm on pace to be done in December (minus car/house), but realistically that doesn't account for Christmas and some other stuff (gonna drop a couple grand in vehicle repairs that have been put off for a while), so February is probably my actual "holy poo poo that boat anchor is gone" month. Then I can start rebuilding the retirement I cashed out a while back. :sigh:

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Except CarMax charges all of their interest upfront. So if you accept financing through them they automatically add all of the interest to the principal and you are so upside down on the loan, no one will refinance you. It'd be silly to try anyway, since it would mean you pay interest twice.

My wife works at Navy Fed and sees half a dozen people a week trying to refinance Carmax loans.

I've never heard that before...I'm not really the type of person who's gonna buy from carmax anyway, but that's really good to know.

My first new car was financed through Ford, but I was a 21 year old college student and 4.9% was not bad at all. When I bought the Jeep, I told them USAA was offering like 2.9% but if they could beat it I'd go with theirs...they actually did (BoA, which I later refinanced to a credit union), and I realized later that the 2.9% I threw at them was for 800+ credit scores (not me) and some stupid long term loan (also not me). The Volt is financed through Navy Fed, because just like with the mortgage, they beat USAA's rate by half a point.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 18, 2019

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Hong Kong protesters stepping up their game and lazing some eyeballs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiIUhcQmx-0

I wouldn't expect a CGTN video to say so, but even it shows that protesters are using the laser pointers to interfere with all the cameras pointed at them from police lines and surrounding buildings. The cops themselves are not the target.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

That is done, once again, for the dealer reserve. Their banks were offering 3% (or less) for an 800 score. This is part of why cash purchases do not have as much negotiating power as financed ones.

This can be used to your advantage if you have the cash to pay off the loan immediately (or refinance) because the dealership gets their reserve regardless.

Yeah I realize the point is to earn the dealer more money but instead of offering me a deal they just copped a lovely attitude over my shopping around.

Still better than the Toyota salesman who approached me in the parking lot, talked me up, and then abruptly canceled my test drive when I compared prices to other dealers.

Maybe salesman actually try to negotiate in other markets. Here it seems so busy that if you don’t act like a mark they just tell you to gently caress off and wait for somebody else to come along.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 18, 2019

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

:smith:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Narrator: “They didn’t do poo poo”.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Last time I looked at cars my friend who was driving me looked as shocked as if I had just dropped trou and poo poo in the floor when I walked out of a dealership that wouldn't move from their sticker price on a used Mazda 3 that had been on their lot over a year. A lot of people really do think you're supposed to give the sales guy a blowjob so they'll let you buy a car, I don't understand how we got to this point but the lack of education on basic negotiation tactics in american schools is shameful.

In conclusion everyone please read this book

https://www.amazon.com/Bargaining-Advantage-Negotiation-Strategies-Reasonable/dp/0143036971

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 18, 2019

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I mean it's completely by design just like the active sabotage of critical thinking skills, but still, c'mon, jesus.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

lack of education on basic negotiation tactics in american schools is shameful.

I'm genuinely curious what your comparison to this is, because I'm not aware of any other primary or secondary education system that teaches children how to negotiate.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Fallom posted:

Yeah I realize the point is to earn the dealer more money but instead of offering me a deal they just copped a lovely attitude over my shopping around.

Still better than the Toyota salesman who approached me in the parking lot, talked me up, and then abruptly canceled my test drive when I compared prices to other dealers.

Maybe salesman actually try to negotiate in other markets. Here it seems so busy that if you don’t act like a mark they just tell you to gently caress off and wait for somebody else to come along.

I used that USAA car buying service at 9pm one night, and my phone blew up with so many instant text messages, emails and phone calls that I just turned it off for the night.

I wrote them all the same email: I'm looking for x car, y model, z color, these options, paying cash, if you are not close you don't get an email back.

Man, it must be different down here because motherfuckers got some hustle on that poo poo. They flat out told me to email the other quotes and they'll beat them. Free delivery, servicing, whatever the gently caress it took. The dealership that I went with even trucked it in from somewhere else, there were only 3 cars in that specific combination in the entire state according to the mazda site, confirmed by some of the sales people. One obviously didn't even look because they tried to sell me a different one they had in the lot so they got the axe pretty quick.

poo poo's cut throat in my hood.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

There's none and I can say we're doing a terrible job without implying anywhere else is doing any better.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Current event:
We not only lost the cold war, we also lost WWII
https://twitter.com/The_Sourkraut/status/1162590433748426752?s=19

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Fallom posted:

people that aren't idiots aren't worth the commission

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Textbooks 500 years from now: "In the second dark age, our ancestors were obsessed with loving. They hosed themselves, they hosed each other, they even left this plaque to say that they were loving us. And that's why every April 1st we piss on grandpa's grave."

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

ElMaligno posted:

Current event:

Thanks. I hate it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

ElMaligno posted:

Current event:

:wtc:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Poor fuckin' Iowa :smith:

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Poor fuckin' Iowa :smith:

On topic: https://nypost.com/2019/08/18/jeffrey-epstein-apparently-bought-womens-panties-while-in-jail/

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

As the resident king weeb, those iowa pictures are biblical levels of awe inspiring fear.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

gschmidl posted:

New Zealand‘s tax authorities have deemed it legal for companies to pay its employees in Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. Companies will also be able to deduct income taxes using current PAYE (pay as you earn) frameworks under the Income Tax Act 2007.

The country’s Inland Revenue Department (IRD) published a bulletin (dated August 7, 2019) stating that the ruling was made under the Tax Administration Act 1994. (If you’re not up to speed on your New Zealand tax acts, the 1994 act typically governs the responsibilities of different government departments in relation to taxation.)

There are a few caveats, though.

For one, companies can only pay cryptocurrency to employees working under official employment agreements. Payments also have to be for a fixed amount – “the value of the crypto-asset is pegged to one or more fiat currencies.”

The ruling also states that cryptocurrency-based salary payments must also be able to be “converted directly into fiat currency (on an exchange).” According to the bulletin, salaries must be paid in a crypto-asset that functions like a currency.

In other words, the primary function of the coin must be as a replacement for fiat – this should prevent companies from paying employees in illiquid or otherwise small-time altcoins.

It should also be noted that the ruling applies only to salaried wage earners. Self-employed workers will not be able to take advantage, which is sort of a bummer.

In today’s gig economy, getting paid in cryptocurrency can be a useful tool if you don’t live in a country that accepts the currency you get paid in. In some cases, it can help circumnavigate expensive cross border payment expenses, too.

All things considered, the only reason I see for the Kiwi IRD issuing this update is to allow the taxation of companies that might already be paying staff in Bitcoin, and otherwise avoiding paying the relevant taxes. Meaning, more tax dollars for the authorities.

In reality, it’s probably not a great idea from the employee’s point of view. Sure, your salary might be a fixed fiat amount, but that doesn’t stop the cryptocurrency you’re paid in from fluctuating wildly in price.

It would be quite disappointing to get paid, and 24 hours later see the value of your salary decrease due to market fluctuations. All because you didn’t cash out immediately after getting paid. All that extra hassle, and for what?

The ruling was officially signed by New Zealand‘s director of public rulings, Susan Price on June 27, 2019. It will go into effect for a three-year period beginning on September 1, 2019.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
The details surrounding Epstein's 13 month "jail" stint are loving mindboggling :psyduck:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

not caring here posted:

I used that USAA car buying service at 9pm one night,

It's just truecar.

Edit: When I used it on the Volt, yeah I got a ton of emails, but not one of them was more than about $500 below MSRP. One was about 2k ABOVE.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

ElMaligno posted:

Current event:

wtf

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

You aren't the only person thinking that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ElMaligno posted:

Current event:

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Godholio posted:

It's just truecar.

Edit: When I used it on the Volt, yeah I got a ton of emails, but not one of them was more than about $500 below MSRP. One was about 2k ABOVE.

Yeah, it's just handy when you've already go it linked to an account.

First round of offers I had a few that were 3k under MSRP, but I ended up with 4 and change off, plus some free stuff. So it worked good for me.

Electric cars really are a weird thing to shop for. I dunno whether it's a supply / demand thing, low margins, or just manufacturers telling dealers to tighten up a bit, I dunno. You hear about it a lot though.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/HerbCarmen/status/1163135693608161281?s=19

RIP AFPAK Hands, never met an officer that wasn't voluntold to it and then resigned or grudgingly do it being so close to retirement

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Hm. Got a buddy with them right now. I don't know if he was non-voled into it or not, but he is close to retirement.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Godholio posted:

Hm. Got a buddy with them right now. I don't know if he was non-voled into it or not, but he is close to retirement.

An AF O I used to work around stopped saying he did Hands as people quickly made assumptions about him. Guess I don't blame him

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Reply isn't edit

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Nick Soapdish posted:

An AF O I used to work around stopped saying he did Hands as people quickly made assumptions about him. Guess I don't blame him

What are the assumptions

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

What are the assumptions

That you didn't have the dignity to quit instead

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Arc Light posted:

That you didn't have the dignity to quit instead

I'm gonna need some context for this

reads article

:wtc:

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 19, 2019

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

"Hey so we're going to send you cranking until you quit."

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Thus ends a program that never did what it claimed to be able to do. And I'm not just disgruntled because it came around my workplace and got a good half dozen of my friends to separate. Good thing they all came in to work the next week wearing guard patches!

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Yeah, but maybe it's better than bartering Uggs or using those pretend dollars like the Aussies or Canucks have.

Probably not. Anyone can print Monopoly money. And you can use it to buy more goods and services than with bitcoin.

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/HerbCarmen/status/1163135693608161281?s=19

RIP AFPAK Hands, never met an officer that wasn't voluntold to it and then resigned or grudgingly do it being so close to retirement

Huh. How about that. Maybe someone will learn from our mistakes.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I wonder how many local heavy infrastructure construction contractors bailed back to the US with millions of dollars they wired out of AF through Switzerland and into Pasadena real estate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Whatever happened with that facebook livestream shooting thing in philly a few days ago? I remember it was happening and then it just went away so im assuming noone was shot