Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah I'm actually considering marrying Sothis on this playthrough because his conversations with everyone are so one-sided. It's much more interesting to see two characters with personality play off of each other. Annette is cute and great and all, but just having her talking at me feels whatever when compared to her singing for Felix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I legit began choking up during the S support with Lysithea after he gives her the ring both because of what she said afterward and how she was audibly tearing up

It was a very good happy cry moment especially with the CG and exactly how I wanted to end my Golden Deer run

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

And she can do much better. Mostly I just meant Byleth is kinda boring.

I had Edie support Lysithea. It was pretty good.

Yeah i really liked her Lysithea support! Although it had some weird plot-related stuff (towards end of school phase big spoiler): I only got their B after they had all left the monastery, but the support was set in the monastery like they were still at school. Very strange.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Gluten Freeman posted:

Yeah i really liked her Lysithea support! Although it had some weird plot-related stuff (towards end of school phase big spoiler): I only got their B after they had all left the monastery, but the support was set in the monastery like they were still at school. Very strange.

There's a bunch of supports that feel like that if you do them post-timeskip. I guess in some ways it's inevitable but it is kinda awkward when you get them.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Ingrid and Ignatz being a prime example

Hi Ignatz you’re sure doing a wonderful job painting the rubble in the chapel

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I just go in with the assumption that unlocking a support means seeing a scene that already happened at some plausible time in the past.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Ingrid and Ignatz being a prime example

Hi Ignatz you’re sure doing a wonderful job painting the rubble in the chapel

I like to imagine that he actually is painting the rubble and making a really good still life out of it.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Is any of Edelgard's unique classes even worth mastering? 5 move is starting to be a pain.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Should I take the time to master every class that matches the type of role I want a student to fill?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Kingfish posted:

Should I take the time to master every class that matches the type of role I want a student to fill?

Usually no. Sometimes a class's mastered ability is really good, but most of the time they're not as important as the bonus stats and abilities you get in a promoted class.

I would say that your offensive spellcasters should probably master Mage for Fiendish Blow, and axe-users should master Brigand for Deathblow. Otherwise I think they're mostly in the "nice to have" category.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

Is any of Edelgard's unique classes even worth mastering? 5 move is starting to be a pain.

I just had the March ring on her 24/7

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Death Blow is good to have on most characters

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, to be clear, if you can get Death Blow, it's great to have. It's just that Brigand can be a significant detour for a lot of characters, so while I'd say it's a must-get for axe-wielders (or really anyone you're sending towards War Master or Wyvern Lord), it's a "nice to have" for anyone else.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

While it is a big detour for them, it (Death Blow) is real good to have for Petra and Ingrid and any other character in the "Fast with a chance of getting Strength Screwed" club.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Andrast posted:

I just had the March ring on her 24/7
where do you get the march ring, btw? I saw that Seteth had it in his paralogue, but you can't trade equipment with ally characters & he doesn't have it if you recruit him.

Harrow posted:

Yeah, to be clear, if you can get Death Blow, it's great to have. It's just that Brigand can be a significant detour for a lot of characters, so while I'd say it's a must-get for axe-wielders (or really anyone you're sending towards War Master or Wyvern Lord), it's a "nice to have" for anyone else.
It can be kind of a detour if you're not going for something that already uses axes, yeah.
Unless, say, you're re-using a character who used axes in a previous cycle. I'll gladly pay 500 renown for that ability. (I currently have both Death Blow and Armored Blow on Hilda, who is riding a dragon. She is an unstoppable viking god.)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

where do you get the march ring, btw? I saw that Seteth had it in his paralogue, but you can't trade equipment with ally characters & he doesn't have it if you recruit him.

In that one DK map with the teleporters

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Death Blow is for gauntlets as it adds 12-24 damage depending if you can double or quadruple an opponent.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah I'm actually considering marrying Sothis on this playthrough because his conversations with everyone are so one-sided. It's much more interesting to see two characters with personality play off of each other. Annette is cute and great and all, but just having her talking at me feels whatever when compared to her singing for Felix.

Having Sothis as the S-rank just made more sense thematically on my only run through so far, which was on the Edel path.

Having her gone for the entire War section while Rhea (on this route at least) regresses into someone who's constantly yelling at you to give her mom back, it felt like it would be a waste to not bring her back after all of that.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
yeah I was bummed she didn't get at least a cameo

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Andrast posted:

In that one DK map with the teleporters
of course it is. :shepicide:
that's okay, guess dedue will just have to trundle along behind the rest of the army forever

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

of course it is. :shepicide:
that's okay, guess dedue will just have to trundle along behind the rest of the army forever

have him pick cavalry so he can be a great knight!

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

rannum posted:

Dedue is pretty much definitely either War Master or Great Knight, and the game certainly seems to think the latter is the way to go. Never mind that the dude is awful at horses, which makes it a real slog.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Quick question: is this thing ever brought up in the Church route?

It's a giant-rear end Crest Stone with the Crest of Flames on it, it's in the Sealed Forest, which gets brought up by monastery NPCs multiple times despite you only visiting it once, and it's located at the same place that Solon did the fucky ritual magic. It seems like it should be Important™, but as far as I can tell, it's just set dressing.
e: weirdly enough, it's on the stage itself, but not present in the following cutscene

rannum posted:

I stuck him in Fortress Knight because I like his timeskip appearance, but I may have to at this rate. Not like he really needs the boost to his defensive growth.

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 19, 2019

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

CeallaSo posted:

Dedue is pretty much definitely either War Master or Great Knight, and the game certainly seems to think the latter is the way to go. Never mind that the dude is awful at horses, which makes it a real slog.

I just made him a Wyvern Rider/Lord. Not really any more difficult than taking him into Great Knight, given he hates Riding and Flying, and it's not much less tough while far more maneuverable. I'd definitely agree War Master isn't a bad choice for him either, though you won't be taking advantage of his full tankiness if you're trying to use him with gauntlets.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dedue will never not be punching people in the face

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
I'm getting near the end of GD and while I have to say all these children are sweet and wonderful, they are also all dumb aside from like Claude and Lysithea

I got real lucky with my rolls tho and they all have speed and dex out the wazoo so I can't really complain

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

SyntheticPolygon posted:

There's a bunch of supports that feel like that if you do them post-timeskip. I guess in some ways it's inevitable but it is kinda awkward when you get them.

Rather than inevitable I think it's kind of weird. There's a bunch of support related things that change based on your route, why can't they change on pre- or post-timeskip?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

its already way more variable than expected i dont blame them for not writing twice as many versions

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, and I waaaaaaay prefer the supports feeling a little dislocated than locking you out if you don't achieve them by the deadline.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The combat in this game is outside of a paralogue or two impossible to lose but why is this my favorite FE game

Post Timeskip Golden Deer is giving me major Persona 4 vibes for some reason. It's much more lighthearted than I heard the other routes are but it is still pretty depressing to hear the unit quotes change so much. Before it was like "Sorry for being so strong :) hehe" and now it's "I told you not to fight :smith:"

Also my level 7-8 guys all leveled up straight to 20. Which is a slight issue as I never bothered reclassing Ignatz cuz gently caress off ignatz but he went to 20 with Commoner growths so now even as an Assassin he is completely useless. But hey a useless Assassin is better than a useless commoner

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
It's really interesting that with the Blue Lions path, they write Claude to basically have brain damage. Because that's the only answer I can come up with for why he thought "lets attack the Kingdom army while they're attacking the Empire."

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, and I waaaaaaay prefer the supports feeling a little dislocated than locking you out if you don't achieve them by the deadline.

Annoyingly, time-locked supports do still exist (even aside from Byleth ones), and some actually are on fairly strict timers. I was not entirely amused to find that Gilbert, of all people, has at least one timelocked support (his C rank with Catherine). And by fairly strict timer, I mean you have maybe 4-5 months at most to get it or it locks. I imagine due to plot reasons, but that's not exactly a support pairing that jumps out at you so most people playing blind aren't exactly going to prioritize it.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, I've missed Rhea's supports on my first run because I didn't get the C in time. I'm just glad there aren't more of them.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

It's really interesting that with the Blue Lions path, they write Claude to basically have brain damage. Because that's the only answer I can come up with for why he thought "lets attack the Kingdom army while they're attacking the Empire."

If you go around the left he attacks the empire first! Basically come turn 3 I think they just attack whoever is closest.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Man I just did the Blue Lions Battle of Gonreil fight and it's embarrassingly contrived (very minor spoilers)

It's a re-creation of the three-way battle in part one, Dimitri and the Kingdom vs the Empire, with the Alliance arriving to support you. Unfortunately, Edelgard is somehow able to confuse the Alliance into not being able to tell who is who, so the Alliance says "eh gently caress it we'll just attack everybody we come across!" and then run straight at your base, completely ignoring the Empire. All the other characters on the map even loving recognize Dimitri and the Professor and say stuff like "hey, why are we fighting you, I thought the Empire was our enemy? Ah oh well!!!!" and then attack your team, so loving stupid

Mordiceius posted:

lmao what a coincidence

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
Does the combination of Auto-Battle, Skip Animations, and Skip Actions, still cause Supports to increase?

I think it is mainly skip actions that I'm not sure of. It definitely does without it.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Man I just did the Blue Lions Battle of Gonreil fight and it's embarrassingly contrived (very minor spoilers)

It's a re-creation of the three-way battle in part one, Dimitri and the Kingdom vs the Empire, with the Alliance arriving to support you. Unfortunately, Edelgard is somehow able to confuse the Alliance into not being able to tell who is who, so the Alliance says "eh gently caress it we'll just attack everybody we come across!" and then run straight at your base, completely ignoring the Empire. All the other characters on the map even loving recognize Dimitri and the Professor and say stuff like "hey, why are we fighting you, I thought the Empire was our enemy? Ah oh well!!!!" and then attack your team, so loving stupid

It's not any better on the Golden Deer route.

Like, this is literally the first time we've met any of the blue lions but Ashe or the people you recruited post time-skip. They show up, Dimitri hates you for some reason, everyone else goes 'sorry but we're following the crazy guy', and they all get killed by you except for Dimitri and Dedue, and then Dimitri goes off and dies offscreen.

It really feels like they just wanted to make a callback to the Battle of Eagle and Lion but forgot to give a reason for the Alliance and Kingdom to fight each other.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Hellioning posted:

It's not any better on the Golden Deer route.

Like, this is literally the first time we've met any of the blue lions but Ashe or the people you recruited post time-skip. They show up, Dimitri hates you for some reason, everyone else goes 'sorry but we're following the crazy guy', and they all get killed by you except for Dimitri and Dedue, and then Dimitri goes off and dies offscreen.

It really feels like they just wanted to make a callback to the Battle of Eagle and Lion but forgot to give a reason for the Alliance and Kingdom to fight each other.

I think the Golden Deer perspective can make more sense than the Blue Lion perspective. For Golden Deer, it could make at least some sense that the Kingdom attacks you because at this point, Dimitri basically is a crazy person. But when going from Blue Lion, it makes zero sense, because Claude, despite being a bit of a joker, has always been the most rational of the three of them.

It's a really bad part of the story.

I really love this game but goddamn does the story and structure have some severe loving problems.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

I'm convinced Gronder was supposed to be a Fog of War map, so the Alliance and Kingdom wouldn't be able to tell the difference between each other and the Empire. In Golden Deer at least, they outright mention the fog right beforehand, and it's still there during the CG cutscene.

Presumably, they figured people would hate the map with fog and removed it, but didn't do much rewriting to account for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

CandyCrazy posted:

I'm convinced Gronder was supposed to be a Fog of War map, so the Alliance and Kingdom wouldn't be able to tell the difference between each other and the Empire. In Golden Deer at least, they outright mention the fog right beforehand, and it's still there during the CG cutscene.

Presumably, they figured people would hate the map with fog and removed it, but didn't do much rewriting to account for that.

That would make a lot of sense and it would also make that map loving atrocious. So they decided to go with bad story instead of bad gameplay, at least there's that. Still disappointing.

I love this game, but the more I play it, the more the problems become annoying and the less I like it. The first half is very fun, but the second half feels more like a chore.