Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Noodler's Apache Sunset and Diamine Apple Glory.

Edit: A shameful, phoneposted snype...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
I quite like Diamine Salamander.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

MockingQuantum posted:

Okay, it's ink suggestion time again-- I've now tested all of my ink samples and found some really good ones that I'm probably going to get in bottles, but I have a big hole in my rainbow. I've got some nice reds I like, and I'm totally set on forest/kelly kind of greens, and really don't need any more blues/indigos/violets (for now), but I have really no oranges, ambers, browns, yellows, yellow-greens or blue-greens. Any kneejerk suggestions for any of those? Or colors that I'm forgetting exist?

J. Herbin Lie de The for brown (lie de cacao du Brasil for another brown)

By blue green do you mean teal? I love teal. This is one of those color ranges that varies a lot between people and nib size. See if any of these are good for you:

Robert Oster Blue Denim (either a green blue or a blue green depending on the nib size)

Diamine Aqua Lagoon

Diamine Eau de Nil

Diamine Steel Blue

Diamine Jungle Green

Noodler's Turquoise (name is misleading)

Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-jaku

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

FFT posted:

In the orange/brown area, I really like Diamine Ancient Copper. I was hoping it would be a bit more red, but I'm quite happy with it.

Ancient Copper is the poo poo. Autumn Oak is apparently real good too, but I've never used that.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Thanks for all the recommendations! I had Ancient Copper as a sample and I was so-so on it, but it was in my Moonman, which probably has the finest nib of all my pens, so I think I need to try it in something broader.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
KWZ Honey is beautiful, but be warned that it has a fragrance. It looks and smells like McDonald's honey.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

MockingQuantum posted:

Thanks for all the recommendations! I had Ancient Copper as a sample and I was so-so on it, but it was in my Moonman, which probably has the finest nib of all my pens, so I think I need to try it in something broader.

That was exactly what I originally got it for too, ha!

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

MockingQuantum posted:

Okay, it's ink suggestion time again-- I've now tested all of my ink samples and found some really good ones that I'm probably going to get in bottles, but I have a big hole in my rainbow. I've got some nice reds I like, and I'm totally set on forest/kelly kind of greens, and really don't need any more blues/indigos/violets (for now), but I have really no oranges, ambers, browns, yellows, yellow-greens or blue-greens. Any kneejerk suggestions for any of those? Or colors that I'm forgetting exist?

Not really an expert as it is the first orange ink I have tried, but I really like the look of Mabie Todd's Puffin Orange:

Looks solid and even a bit reddish on a rigid nib, and has a nice gamut of shades when used with a more flexible one. I got it from The Pendragons, which are UK based.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Robert Oster orange is really nice

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Kerbtree posted:

I quite like Diamine Salamander.

W...why

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

:itwaspoo:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Got a bunch of inks, samples, a rocker blotter and pen stand, and three custom turned pens in SA-Mart if anyone wants to help me get out of the game: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3896403

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

So I am a relatively recent convert to fountain pens. I did calligraphy as a hobby for years, and then slowly moved my way into fountain pens. I started with the cheap 20$ staples special, then moves onto a MUJI- which was lovely, with a few draw backs (namely way too light, and didn't use standard sized carts) and was lost. I started using the the Pilot Varsity disposable pens as an edc, but would prefer something nicer.
Hoping you goods can help me narrow down some options.
Wants-
·A bit on the heavier side- I like pens with a little heft.
·narrow nib- the MUJI was awesome because it wrote very smooth, but the lines were narrower than most other fountain pens I've used.
·it would be awesome if it filled with a little lever like a cartoon.
·durable- I'm a little clumsy.
·under 60$? I can go more if absolutely needed.

What can we recommend?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The Pilot Metropolitan fulfills all of those except for the lever fill. Those are pretty uncommon nowadays.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

bulletsponge13 posted:

So I am a relatively recent convert to fountain pens. I did calligraphy as a hobby for years, and then slowly moved my way into fountain pens. I started with the cheap 20$ staples special, then moves onto a MUJI- which was lovely, with a few draw backs (namely way too light, and didn't use standard sized carts) and was lost. I started using the the Pilot Varsity disposable pens as an edc, but would prefer something nicer.
Hoping you goods can help me narrow down some options.
Wants-
·A bit on the heavier side- I like pens with a little heft.
·narrow nib- the MUJI was awesome because it wrote very smooth, but the lines were narrower than most other fountain pens I've used.
·it would be awesome if it filled with a little lever like a cartoon.
·durable- I'm a little clumsy.
·under 60$? I can go more if absolutely needed.

What can we recommend?

TWSBI 580 AL if you really want to spend that little. I think a Pilot Metropolitan would leave you wanting more because they lacking a filling system and frankly just aren't very nice

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Is the common thing for pens to be clear plastic? I hate the look of the clear plastic even with the convience of being able to see if it needs ink at a glance.

I swear I'm not tying to be difficult- this is a perfect example of me knowing just enough to be difficult, not enough to be of real assistance.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Tons of pens are not clear, seems like clear is something if a recent trend. Recent like 10-25 years though.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

A lot of people like demonstrators yeah, but there's also a lot of pens that aren't, so you're not hurting for choice if that's not your bag.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

There's probably more pens that are black with gold trim then there are clear pens (demonstrators in fountain pen lingo)

As taqueso said, it's more of a current trend. Some people really like them. I personally sonly think they can be nice if done right but often they just feel kinda lazy.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I think that they look cheap.
What's funny is that I never considered vintage pens. My wife goes to a lot of secondhand/thrift/antique/goodwill type stores. I know that I have passed up boxes of old Parkers and poo poo, because my dumb rear end never considered looking for vintage.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Shop model demonstrators were neat because they were showing off whatever clever filling systems and things in whatever pen. I don't particularly like modern ones because I don't really have any interest in seeing a cartridge or converter (and a ton of empty space) inside of a pen.

It's funny, because the obvious cheap example of that would be a platinum preppy or something, which is cheap as hell, but I'm pretty sure that transparent plastics are (were?) more expensive and difficult to make.

If you like how your varsity writes, I'd just grab a metropolitan. They're nicely weighty in a way that slightly more expensive pilots tend not to be (like the Prera, for example).

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Now that I am heading back to school, where I'll have access to a lathe and mill, I might gut a pen and put it in a new body.

I probably won't, because effort, but its a nice thought.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

If you’re genuinely interested in a lever filler, Anderson Pens has a bunch of restored vintage Esterbrook lever fillers for around $65 right now.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Someone in another thread said, “Get a Lamy Safari” to another poster in response to something or other. It wasn’t aimed at me, but it sounded like a good idea, so I did. I also bought a Pilot MR Retro Pop Collection Fountain Pen, Gray Barrel, Hounds tooth Accent, Fine Stainless Steel Nib, Black Ink (91435) Modern Design Fountain Pen with Retro Patterns, Stainless Steel Nib, Refillable. I always overdo everything, so I also bought two pots of Noodler’s ink and a pack of converters for the Lamy.

I doubt I’ve hand-written 1,000 total words in the past ten years, but I’ve spent the past several days filling page after page in a white legal pad with whatever random thoughts are in my head, using multiple colors, and experimenting with various grips. If anyone ever saw these pages, they’d think I was completely insane, a la Jack Torrance in The Shining. I’m still producing poorly-written pages of vaguely unsettling nonsense at quite a clip.

It’s fun. It’ll probably wear off, but every once in a while, I write a really nice letter, and the pen flows smoothly across the page, and it’s very satisfying. The Lamy came with black refills, but a really nice blue cartridge in the pen. The medium tip makes fat, swoopy letters that I like the looks of, the but Pilot’s fine tip is more practical.

I know that’s a very old post, but it was the very first post I saw when I clicked on the little button to jump to my last-read post. That picture kind of struck me, because there are significant similarities between your handwriting and mine. They’re not identical, but there are a number of familiar strokes in that image. It also jumped out at me because that ink looks like Noodler’s Black Swan in Australian Roses, which is what I just filled my Pilot with, and am using right now. It’s a great color. Yours is darker, but that could be shadows.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

If you’re genuinely interested in a lever filler, Anderson Pens has a bunch of restored vintage Esterbrook lever fillers for around $65 right now.

I feel like you can get a restored eaterbrook j pen for 35-40 on the eBay there..

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I doubt I’ve hand-written 1,000 total words in the past ten years, but I’ve spent the past several days filling page after page in a white legal pad with whatever random thoughts are in my head, using multiple colors, and experimenting with various grips. If anyone ever saw these pages, they’d think I was completely insane, a la Jack Torrance in The Shining. I’m still producing poorly-written pages of vaguely unsettling nonsense at quite a clip.

You're among friends here

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

tater_salad posted:

I feel like you can get a restored eaterbrook j pen for 35-40 on the eBay there..

The last “restored” Estie I got on eBay I ended up having to send to Brian Anderson for repair anyway...

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Ended up antiquing today- passed up on a really cool vintage Sheaffer, because I was on the fence- it was more than I wanted to spend today at 48$. Had I known it was a cool rear end snorkel piston fill (which I didn't know was a thing until today), I might have changed my mind. Did end up paying 3$ for a vintage Shaeffer Imperial (looks to be an old model 1). Pretty nice. Also ended up finding my Muji in a weird place, and dug out my Cross. Just wrote a bit with each on different types of paper. I didn't rank them- it's like having a toolbox for different uses, readers, and paper. I know that my wife can't always read my writing when using the Cross, and I'm the cheap Manuscript Clarity. The larger nibs, and larger, lighter barrels encourage me to go faster than I should, leaving sloppy and sometimes extra strokes. Great for getting things out fast, but a page or so in, it looks like an illiterate Civil War trooper trying cursive. The Pilot will stay my pocket EDC for awhile- at least until they die, as to be less wasteful.
The Muji was a good, solid performer. Rides incredibly smooth on rougher paper, and does well with a variance of widths in the letters. The Shaeffer is a nice all around performance. I'd like it a little heavier, and the vintage material and construction feels way too wrong? I expect it to be brittle, but it's not. Great pen for 3$

Now to get the converters and different inks...

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

You may have dodged a bullet with that snorkel. At less than 50 bucks it probably needed a lot of work and I hear they are tough to work on.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Oh hey Esterbrook talk. I love my Esterbrooks so much. Probably my favorite pens, on account of having a ton of nibs to choose from, being cheap and they’re nice and small which is what I like in a pen usually.

I picked up one from MidnightPens on etsy btw since I’ve heard good things about his work. Sure enough, I haven’t had a problem with it.

His current stock seems a bit more expensive than usual though, but I don’t know if he’s just charging a premium because they’re all transitional Js.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

vkeios posted:

Oh hey Esterbrook talk. I love my Esterbrooks so much. Probably my favorite pens, on account of having a ton of nibs to choose from, being cheap and they’re nice and small which is what I like in a pen usually.

I picked up one from MidnightPens on etsy btw since I’ve heard good things about his work. Sure enough, I haven’t had a problem with it.

His current stock seems a bit more expensive than usual though, but I don’t know if he’s just charging a premium because they’re all transitional Js.

From that Etsy seller, wow! this is sharp.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Is there a place to buy just the parts to build your own? I see the kits online, but they seem universally garbage; I know I could cobble one together by scalping an already working pen

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Heath posted:

You're among friends here

Yes! As long as we’re all crazy, then I’m... I’m normal.

bulletsponge13 posted:

Ended up antiquing today- passed up on a really cool vintage Sheaffer, because I was on the fence- it was more than I wanted to spend today at 48$. Had I known it was a cool rear end snorkel piston fill (which I didn't know was a thing until today), I might have changed my mind. Did end up paying 3$ for a vintage Shaeffer Imperial (looks to be an old model 1). Pretty nice. Also ended up finding my Muji in a weird place, and dug out my Cross. Just wrote a bit with each on different types of paper. I didn't rank them- it's like having a toolbox for different uses, readers, and paper. I know that my wife can't always read my writing when using the Cross, and I'm the cheap Manuscript Clarity. The larger nibs, and larger, lighter barrels encourage me to go faster than I should, leaving sloppy and sometimes extra strokes. Great for getting things out fast, but a page or so in, it looks like an illiterate Civil War trooper trying cursive. The Pilot will stay my pocket EDC for awhile- at least until they die, as to be less wasteful.
The Muji was a good, solid performer. Rides incredibly smooth on rougher paper, and does well with a variance of widths in the letters. The Shaeffer is a nice all around performance. I'd like it a little heavier, and the vintage material and construction feels way too wrong? I expect it to be brittle, but it's not. Great pen for 3$

Now to get the converters and different inks...

Where do you go antiquing for fountain pens? Do you go to flea markets, or to storefronts? Do you find there are a lot of pens at one or the other type of place?

Supplies question: are there recommended types or weights or brands of stationery for doodling on and/or for writing actual correspondence? I have some nice, thick paper from a fountain pen calligraphy set I bought a while back, but the supply is limited, and I’d like to use it for its intended purpose.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I don't know much about that off hand but I know your goulets, jetpens, etc will still stationary to some degree as well.

I think Claire Fontaine makes some good stationary but I haven't used it personally. Just read reviews too make sure it can handle fountain pen inks. Also if you do that buy some wax and seal your envelopes because it seems cool as poo poo.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Yes! As long as we’re all crazy, then I’m... I’m normal.

Where do you go antiquing for fountain pens? Do you go to flea markets, or to storefronts? Do you find there are a lot of pens at one or the other type of place?

Supplies question: are there recommended types or weights or brands of stationery for doodling on and/or for writing actual correspondence? I have some nice, thick paper from a fountain pen calligraphy set I bought a while back, but the supply is limited, and I’d like to use it for its intended purpose.

We come across them regularly as we look around- I know for a fact I've probably looked over a hundred before it dawned on me that I should look while we are out. We don't go anywhere specific- just see them in cases from time to time. Today I saw 5 Shaeffers- three piston fill ones- all the same model, different colors, a basic metallic tone and red plastic, and the Imperial I ended up with, that I just wrote a card out with for my wife. She, honestly, is the entire reason I have one pen, much less the handful that I have. She contribute to my hobbies and is supportive and poo poo.

It's weird to date an adult.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sankis posted:

I don't know much about that off hand but I know your goulets, jetpens, etc will still stationary to some degree as well.

I think Claire Fontaine makes some good stationary but I haven't used it personally. Just read reviews too make sure it can handle fountain pen inks. Also if you do that buy some wax and seal your envelopes because it seems cool as poo poo.

rhodia is the best 'notebook'/sketch pad or whatever paper i've used for fountain pens. if you want to make your own or just have blank unlined 8x10 sheets the hp 30 lb is amazing.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

bulletsponge13 posted:

We come across them regularly as we look around- I know for a fact I've probably looked over a hundred before it dawned on me that I should look while we are out. We don't go anywhere specific- just see them in cases from time to time. Today I saw 5 Shaeffers- three piston fill ones- all the same model, different colors, a basic metallic tone and red plastic, and the Imperial I ended up with, that I just wrote a card out with for my wife. She, honestly, is the entire reason I have one pen, much less the handful that I have. She contribute to my hobbies and is supportive and poo poo.

It's weird to date an adult.

To my knowledge Sheaffer never made a piston pen as they're normally understood (ie like a TWSBI 580 or a Montblanc 146). Imperials are either cartridge/convertor or Touchdown fillers. Touchdown fillers use rubber sacs, so they really shouldn't be used unless they've recently been restored. Thankfully restoration isn't too expensive, and is also not too difficult if you'd like to try it yourself.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Dad Hominem posted:

To my knowledge Sheaffer never made a piston pen as they're normally understood (ie like a TWSBI 580 or a Montblanc 146). Imperials are either cartridge/convertor or Touchdown fillers. Touchdown fillers use rubber sacs, so they really shouldn't be used unless they've recently been restored. Thankfully restoration isn't too expensive, and is also not too difficult if you'd like to try it yourself.

Thank you- I called them piston from ignorance.
The snorkel tip models- I now feel bad I skipped them now.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

bulletsponge13 posted:

Thank you- I called them piston from ignorance.
The snorkel tip models- I now feel bad I skipped them now.

Snorkels are a particular subset of Touchdown fillers. They suck up ink based on the same principle, but the mechanism that deploys the snorkel tube makes them quite a bit harder to repair.

"Snorkels" as a distinct product line were made with traditional open nibs and Sheaffer's conical Triumph nib. If a pen has an inlaid nib (like an Imperial or a Targa) as well as a snorkel tube, it's a Sheaffer PFM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Plinkey posted:

rhodia is the best 'notebook'/sketch pad or whatever paper i've used for fountain pens. if you want to make your own or just have blank unlined 8x10 sheets the hp 30 lb is amazing.

Oh for sure. I have a bunch of rhodia stuff. I guess stationary is a catchall for paper and such. In the context of my last post I meant like... fancy paper and envelopes for nice hand written letters