Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for making GBS threads on my cousin’s plan to go to law school?

I (21 M) have this cousin, “Taylor” (20F). She is really Christian and she’s considers herself an “anti-abortion activist.” I don’t really care about political stuff, but she’s rude to me all the time because I’m not Christian and so we have some bad blood.

This summer, I’ve had to see her every week when I go to my grandma’s to help her take out her trash cans and other household stuff (Taylor lives with my grandma). Taylor told me that she is planning to go to law school, and that she wants to try to make abortion illegal for her career. She isn’t a good student — she hadn’t even heard of the LSAT before I told her — and she doesn’t have a solid plan for how she’s going to “make abortion illegal.”

I told her it was a dumbass idea, and she should stay in the Major she’s currently in (nursing). She started crying and wouldn’t talk to me for the rest of the time I was at my grandma’s. My grandma was also mad, and she said I was pushing my godless agenda on Taylor. She said that next time I came over, she would invite her minister to drop by and talk to me about it. I don’t want to see her minister, and I told her I would leave and stop helping her if she did that.

AITA? Was I too mean to my cousin?

Is this what the average 20 year old is like in Mississippi? Feels like 1952 in that post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Trump would make her a SCOTUS justice if she was attractive.

Hell, she doesn't even really need to be a good lawyer to be a GOP shill, just repeat the Heritage Foundation reports.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Law schools are like 80% liberal so if you can just get in as a conservative to a good law school you will 100% have a well paying job shilling for any well-funded right wing issue that some psycho billionaire has decided to make their legacy.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Well you have to pass the LSAT to get in the door and in order to do that you need to know what the LSAT is first so we’re safe from one less for now.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for taking apart my friends Lego DeathStar with plans to rebuild it?

I saw the deathstar and became instantly nerdy.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for banning my little sister (13F) from reading certain books?

My little sister (13) moved in with me around 6 months ago due to some issues surrounding our mother, and I was basically put in charge of her. It's my responsibility to discipline her and stuff like that, for all intents and purposes I'm her "father". So far she has been excellent, her behaviour has vastly improved, her grades are better and she's in a much better place. She has always been a ferocious reader, and for her birthday I bought her a Kindle and set her loose on it. I monitor her internet and computer usage pretty closely (she knows I do this and is mostly ok with it), but I never bothered to check what books she read.

Recently we were talking about her latest reads, and some of the books she was reading were not at all age appropriate. I started going through her Kindle library and removed some other books that I thought were inappropriate, the only ones that really come to memory was a book called 'One Child' by Torey Hayden, there were a few war-related books that didn't seem appropriate for her to be reading quite yet. 'Generation Kill' for instance, I won't let her watch the show or read the book no matter how great they are, some of the language in it is just filthy. All Quiet on the Western Front was another I deleted from her device.

She has not been appreciative of my actions, but she doesn't seem to be going out of her way to read them behind my back.

I don't have a problem with limiting what she reads and does online, but banning books just feels different. These are well regarded pieces of work, some of which she will probably read as a part of her school curriculum, yet I'm telling her she can't read them. Still, a large part of me feels I'm doing the right thing and making sure she is mature and old enough before reading some pretty heavy stuff. Am I being an rear end in a top hat?

​TL;DR: My 13yo sister wants to read some books that are not typically read at such a young age, I think she shouldn't and have banned her from reading them. AITA?

​Edit: Please don't ban me mods, I swear the Big Brother thing was a coincidence.

This guy is just the lamest motherfucker.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe
All Quiet on the Western Front was literally assigned reading when I was in 8th grade, so I guess my school was really inappropriate. Seriously how the hell is this guy so stupid, if the worst thing his teenage sister is interested in is adult-level reading, he's fortunate.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

hi liter posted:

Law schools are like 80% liberal so if you can just get in as a conservative to a good law school you will 100% have a well paying job shilling for any well-funded right wing issue that some psycho billionaire has decided to make their legacy.

Or you can go to George Mason’s law school, which only recently changed its name from Antonin Scalia School of Law (ASSLAW)

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Generation Kill loving owns it’s probably the only popular media I’ve ever seen in this “troop respectin’” era that comes remotely close in showing how loving stupid life in the military is.

I’m pretty sure I actually read generation kill at that age since it came out when I was a preteen so lmao.

Edit and yeah all quiet on the western front is a popular middle school novel. I also read 1984 and Brave New World around that time as well.

20 bucks says the brother is a chud who thinks that generation kill doesn’t respect da troops enough but is okay with sanitized glorified violence.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 19, 2019

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

I don't want my kid sister discovering that war is nightmarish hell, she should enjoy her childlike fondness for war a little while longer.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Kids these days grow up too fast. Is it a crime to want them to keep living in a world where the trenches of Verdun are still fluffy and whimsical??

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
If the 13 yr old wants to read the story of the goddamn eye let her, kudos to her for reading books she’s interested in and being a self motivated reader. My mom let me read whatever I wanted to, she was just happy that I loved reading so much. She even bought me my first Judy Blume books.

Parents who don’t encourage their kids interests are the worst, even if it’s “beyond” their age.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

I was expecting it to be about her reading fanfiction smut, but instead he's freaking out because he walked in on her sipping tea and furrowing her brows as she studies the collected annals of western literature while sitting in a huge leather chair and smoking a corncob pipe.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

"But brother have you considered what O'Neill was trying to say about the American condition in depicting a drug addicted maternal figure?"

"I think that wi-fi signal is going to have to go off for awhile young lady."

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
drat, when I was 13 I had Interview with the Vampire taken off me, dude should be glad she isn't reading Anne loving Rice or any other one of hundreds of crappy authors.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Yeah uh as a voracious reader at 13 there's a lot worse kinds of 'age inappropriate' she could be getting into than 'books dealing with heavy topics such as war, death, and loss'.

Like 13 year olds are old enough to decide what topics they want to engage with recreationally. She's not 7.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
Wow, you guys are so judgmental. Have you considered his sister is the one 13 year old who has never heard swears or seen violence in their life? He's just trying to preserve the last bastion of innocence in this hosed up world.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

And hell there's plenty of stuff that's specifically for kids that deals with heavy poo poo because it turns out you don't turn 18 and suddenly magically know about unhealthy relationships and death and war. Steven Universe? The horrors of war and the psychological damage that lingers long after the final battle. The new She-Ra? Let's talk about child abuse! Even stuff I grew up with was like... Animorphs was literally about how you cannot come out of a war undamaged and without blood on your hands no matter how just the cause you're fighting for is, and also all the protagonists are like 12.

Do doofuses like that think it's fine for kids to read that stuff as long as it's dressed up in pastel colors and wacky hijinks, or do they try to keep anything remotely mentally stimulating away from kids no matter what?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

NV checked the comments and he’s like a limousine liberal who thinks that reading books about the horrors and weirdness of war “normalizes” war crimes.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

NV checked the comments and he’s like a limousine liberal who thinks that reading books about the horrors and weirdness of war “normalizes” war crimes.
Oh my god.

You know what helps contribute to war crimes? Prudishly not acknowledging they happened.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

When I was 13 I was reading the Star Wars EU. There is DEFINITELY worse she could be up to.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

A character for modern times that needs to exist is a centrist democrat version of Ned Flanders.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Another Bill posted:

"At least I'm interesting!" I think to myself, as I cower behind a cheap DVD rack from a mass shooter at Walgreens

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Yay putting my psych undergrad to use.

Bulimics tend to be normal/all sorts of weights. The purging is often balanced by the insane amount of the binges, like I've heard of tiny women eating like 2 pounds of M&Ms in a sitting before throwing it up. Bulimia is serious but it isn't nearly as dangerous as anorexia, which is literally the most single lethal mental disorder, though this isn't widely known. Anorexics approach starving themselves in a bizarrely superhumanly disciplined way, so it's also really resistant to treatment. Bulimia is more of an impulse control thing, and dangerous weight loss isn't actually that common with bulimics, the health problems come from the vomiting and bizarre diet.

Bullumia is an odd disorder as it is confined almost entirely to more Americanized/westernized parts of the world and to my knowledge non-existent in places that are not exposed to modern media/culture. Anorexia however is found everywhere, though the incidence isn't the same.

just eat rear end instead of food

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Power Khan posted:

Every interaction in europe is like a polandball comic.

Set up a german girl with a polish dude, and she'll yell "ANSCHLUSS" at him and charges, while a russian girl rams up from behind and they squash the dude.

ja wohl

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Power Khan posted:

The loving Riley Reid fleshlight ofc

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Fantastic Flyer posted:

Wow, you guys are so judgmental. Have you considered his sister is the one 13 year old who has never heard swears or seen violence in their life? He's just trying to preserve the last bastion of innocence in this hosed up world.

He’d better keep her from reading Catcher in the Rye so she doesn’t realize he’s Holden Caulfield

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

cumshitter posted:

At my office we kneel and bow our heads as the Office Manager begins each day by adding 1 to the "Days Without a Pants making GBS threads" board. We have learned by experience not to tempt the gods and treat the ritual with the dignity and solemnity it deserves.

Next week we're back to triple digits and we're going to celebrate by having a paid bar and not an open one. We have burned our hands on that stove too many times.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Grape posted:

A character for modern times that needs to exist is a centrist democrat version of Ned Flanders.

For all his religiosity, Ned dutifully paid his taxes and was happy to support "folks that just don't feel like working", so I'm gonna say he's a centrist, albeit a deeply religious one.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Bruceski posted:

When I was 13 I was reading the Star Wars EU. There is DEFINITELY worse she could be up to.

Ban this sick filth

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
Teens reading violent books about war is what causes all these US shootings.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

For all his religiosity, Ned dutifully paid his taxes and was happy to support "folks that just don't feel like working", so I'm gonna say he's a centrist, albeit a deeply religious one.

That makes you a hard leftist these days.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I Said No posted:

I'm legit having trouble even parsing this statement. I get it probably doesn't make sense, but people here seem to be picking up on a menacing implication that i'm missing?

Ever heard a guy say, "If I can't have you, no one can"?

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

You can't be an honest Christian and be right wing. I'm not Christian though I was raised Christian and frankly the right wing ultra-conservative "religious" types are the type of people that would really piss Jesus off. If you want to be a hardcore ultra-conservative you need to omit a whole lot more of the bible than the live and let live kind of Christians.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

The only person Jesus literally assaulted were greedy bankers and businessmen and he literally said that the rich will almost never enter heaven.

There is no meaning or comparisons to extrapolate from to present day. Let us talk about those sinful gays.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

AITA for not letting my neighbour play with my expensive, well-cared-for toy collection?

quote:

I am a 15-year-old British female, neighbour to a lovely couple who often have their six-year-old granddaughter to stay with them. She is a sweet kid I guess, but I don't do babies or kids.

Now, I am an avid My Little Pony and Littlest Pet Shop collector. I style their hair properly, arrange them neatly on a shelf, even make videos with them for my YouTube. I have put a LOT of time and money into my collection. (some go for £60-£120 each.($80-$140)) And unfortunately my little neighbour just LOVES them.

She always invites herself over to my house. Her grandparents never ask if she can come over, they just send her over. I am NOT a babysitter. I have never babysat in my life and plan on keeping it that way. One time she appeared at nine p.m, way past when a six-year-old should be asleep by.

She always charges up to my room and makes a beeline for my ponies, picking them up by their hair (ruining it), throwing them and even decapitating them. (fixable, don't worry)

And, yes, I know they are toys. But they are MY toys, and don't treat them like that, however selfish that may sound. Imagine someone storming up to your house and dismantling your LEGO Death Star and using the pieces to create something new. Irritating at the least.

I've also noticed that she is quite rude, asking when 'she can have the ponies', asking to use my laptop and picking up my £180 video camera! (about $200) I am just about DONE with her. I have to BRIBE her to go home, usually with a pony that I have multiples of and is in bad-ish condition. I cab't refuse to see her as i don't want to create tension with the neighbours, but I just CAN'T anymore. Dealing with her has set my anxiety on the blink. I DON'T DO kids. Full stop. (Period)

However, am I in the wrong? Am I so bad for not letting a little girl play with my toys? I think the thing that annoys me the most though, is that I, nor my family ever agreed to this. She just appeared one day and continued to frequently. She appeared yesterday the minute we returned form our holiday in England and was resistant to be sent away despite the fact that I needed to unpack my belongings. It's got to the point that I can't walk past her house without her popping out and asking when 'she can next play with the ponies?' whilst trying to mess with my phone.

Am I so evil to prevent a little girl form playing with my things? Please post your opinion in the comments below. I am expecting another 'surprise playtime' this week so I am currently hiding in the shed.

EDIT: I am not in the shed now lol. Thank you all so much for your advice and replies! You are all the best. <3

EDIT 2: Should I post a photo to establish my collection? lol I'm such a show-off. Maybe it would give ya'll an image of what the little kid is messing with?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

AITA for not letting my neighbour play with my expensive, well-cared-for toy collection?

Lol that bolded part.

NTA though she’s 15 and she isn’t the baby sitter. If she doesn’t want someone to touch her stuff then they shouldn’t.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

MarcusSA posted:

Lol that bolded part.

I was looking for the 'took apart Death Star' comments, but that came up. It was posted like, a month ago.

Spooky! :ghost:

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

LadyPictureShow posted:

gently caress no not the rear end in a top hat. It may be a weird collection but it's a collection and shouldn't be hosed with if the collector doesn't want it to be.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I was looking for the 'took apart Death Star' comments, but that came up. It was posted like, a month ago.

:chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm getting some flags of neglect for a kid who's visiting neighbours by herself after 9 PM and doesn't understand about other people's property. I suppose it's apparently grandparents rather than parents, but still. I'm guessing they might be the type who consider any female over 10 to be automatically a caretaker of children regardless of circumstances.