Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Huh so unbeknownst to me there has been an *online twitter drama* recently involving a bunch of young labour types I initially quite liked taking some of the AS allegations from RR etc in perhaps a naive amount of good faith then everything blowing up when others have criticised them for it. Seems to me like they're being kinda dumb and showing their age here but some of the shite other accounts are throwing at them is really gross. Can anyone give me the tl:dr? It sure doesn't feel good watching the left eat itself, who could have predicted this???

https://twitter.com/a_leesha1/status/1163214723233517568?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Sanford posted:

How utterly surprising

These fuckers have the thinnest skin.

forkboy84 posted:

The Guardian wonder why they lose money. Wonder how much that tit Freedland gets paid to be wrong.

They've got to know but they're waging an ideological war, largely against what's left of their own readership.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Marmaduke! posted:

They're so passive about the conversation too, I think I'd prefer it if they came back with a "No gently caress YOU!" but instead they prefer to retreat away from the difficult debate/argument. You should reply that they are "no platforming" you by refusing to listen to your arguments!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

ThomasPaine posted:

Huh so unbeknownst to me there has been an *online twitter drama* recently involving a bunch of young labour types I initially quite liked taking some of the AS allegations from RR etc in perhaps a naive amount of good faith then everything blowing up when others have criticised them for it. Seems to me like they're being kinda dumb and showing their age here but some of the shite other accounts are throwing at them is really gross. Can anyone give me the tl:dr? It sure doesn't feel good watching the left eat itself, who could have predicted this???

https://twitter.com/a_leesha1/status/1163214723233517568?s=19

i think its got less to do with antisemitism/RR and more that they're young POCs talking about racism and getting told to shut the gently caress up by old white labour members

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Apparently I quit smoking 4 years ago today, and good lord I still get the cravings

Spooky, I gave up today.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

"it's very important that we have reasoned debates about politics, just as long as people who point out the monstrous effects of my politics are excluded from the debate"

It's not just a defence mechanism to protect people from confronting their own beliefs, it's actively counterproductive by their own metric: show me someone who can point out hundreds of thousands of needless deaths without getting angry, and I'll show you a sociopath - so, nobody who, like, notices the effects of austerity is allowed at the very-rational-adults table, rendering any debate impossible.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Borrovan posted:

"it's very important that we have reasoned debates about politics, just as long as people who point out the monstrous effects of my politics are excluded from the debate"

Every politics debate with my dad :(

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Marmaduke! posted:

They're so passive about the conversation too, I think I'd prefer it if they came back with a "No gently caress YOU!" but instead they prefer to retreat away from the difficult debate/argument. You should reply that they are "no platforming" you by refusing to listen to your arguments!

politics isn’t real life to these people and they get mad if you point out that it is literally life and death for many

anyway this is surely a metaphor of something

https://twitter.com/RussianMemesLtd/status/1163378314020577281

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Jose posted:

i think its got less to do with antisemitism/RR and more that they're young POCs talking about racism and getting told to shut the gently caress up by old white labour members

Yeah that's a bad look but I can see why you'd get annoyed at people in your party accepting the 'labour is institutionally antisemitic' line uncritically which seems to be one of the big claims, idk the truth of it because I missed the big drama as it happened and it's a whole shitshow now

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Since their Jeremy Corbyn* invited** antisemitic*** Holocaust denier**** to speak at Labour conference***** shtick I had to thoroughly double check this, but it seems legit.
* The Labour conference board
** Approved a request by JVL
*** Israeli-American
**** Guy who said Holocaust denial isn't illegal in the UK but should not be platformed
***** Specifically at a JVL youth event

lemonadesweetheart posted:

People will just blame foreigners bringing it into the UK as the reason for this.
The exact same as when they introduced water metering and disconnection to areas like Bradford in the 90s, got a spike in rates of hepatitis A and dysentery, and the not-racist big brain take was that Muslims wipe their arse with their hand and poo poo in cooking pots, rather than that poor families were too scared of big bills and disconnection to wash the dishes properly.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

gently caress the Telegraph.

They have a story "man suspended after telling colleague" I like some good baps"while looking through her shopping basket"

Oh god, it's pc gone mad, can't say anything, just bants innit loony left.

The actual article (which nobody ever reads) also mentions that he groped her a bunch of times and regularly harassed her.

Fuckers.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Corbyn's in Corby, which is enough by itself, but no, in fact he's making a speech too. He's already re-re-re-reaffirmed that a GE is a means to a second referendum that definitely includes remain, and definitely rules out no deal.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

HJB posted:

Corbyn's in Corby, which is enough by itself, but no, in fact he's making a speech too. He's already re-re-re-reaffirmed that a GE is a means to a second referendum that definitely includes remain, and definitely rules out no deal.

YEAH BUT YOU CAN'T TRUST HIM HE'S A SECRET BREXITEER ARGHLBLARGLH

Also he can't be PM for 5 weeks because he might not send nukes in that timeframe.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

My favourite thing today about the NHS is how teeth are arbitrarily excluded from being free at the point of service. If I crack a bone in my leg, arm, ribs, back or hip I get seen and treated for free. If it happens to be in my mouth then that's £20 consultation and £60 treatment, unless the greedy half-doctor can spin it as needing removal and replacement with an implant in which case that's £250.

It's just so ridiculous and loving arbitrary.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sanford posted:

How utterly surprising

Don't let them dictate the terms of debate, keep arguing

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Teeth aren't essential, therefore I suggest removing them from tory MPs.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

My favourite thing today about the NHS is how teeth are arbitrarily excluded from being free at the point of service. If I crack a bone in my leg, arm, ribs, back or hip I get seen and treated for free. If it happens to be in my mouth then that's £20 consultation and £60 treatment, unless the greedy half-doctor can spin it as needing removal and replacement with an implant in which case that's £250.

See also, eyes (pun intended).

EVery part of healthcare should be free at point of use.

The fact that teeth and eyes are accepted as excluded from that is one of the biggest victories for creeping privatisation.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

HJB posted:

He's already re-re-re-reaffirmed that a GE is a means to a second referendum that definitely includes remain, and definitely rules out no deal.
Amazed there's even any debate on this tbh - the Green/LD position that there should be a second referendum before a GE completely fails to address that there's not a deal on the table atm, what do they actually want to have a second referendum on?! Yeh I know the LDs previously said no deal should be on it, but that's just lunacy. Greens don't seem to be saying poo poo.

Unless the GNU (is that a non-recursive acronym? Government of national unity?) feels like resurrecting May's deal, the only non-insane way to have a 2nd ref without a GE is Ken Clarke's proposal that he'd just press ahead and negotiate a soft Brexit to put to the vote, which is, uh, a little beyond an unelected caretaker Government's remit...

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Aug 19, 2019

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Yeah I don't get this either but I'm sure there's some historical reason dentists aren't covered in the same way. Idg why dentists are a seperate profession to doctors either tbh

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Borrovan posted:

Amazed there's even any debate on this tbh - the Green/LD position that there should be a second referendum before a GE completely fails to address that there's not a deal on the table atm, what do they actually want to have a second referendum on?! Yeh I know the LDs previously said no deal should be on it, but that's just lunacy. Greens don't seem to be saying poo poo.

Yeah, everyone I talk to who thinks there should be a referendum before a GE is completely incapable of forming a coherent idea on what the actual question of a second referendum should be.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah I don't get this either but I'm sure there's some historical reason dentists aren't covered in the same way. Idg why dentists are a seperate profession to doctors either tbh

I think this just goes back to when the NHS was formed. To get the Doctors and Dentists to buy in the government had to allow that private work was still allowed, and I guess the Dentist's professional body just drove a harder bargain.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

ThomasPaine posted:

It was at the start of the NHS iirc, and it was utterly swamped even then. I'd love to know how it got to the state its in now, but I'm going to blame Thatcher until I get the facts.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Junior G-man posted:

Yeah, everyone I talk to who thinks there should be a referendum before a GE is completely incapable of forming a coherent idea on what the actual question of a second referendum should be.

I think this is pretty standard thinking for typical liberal who thinks the first election was lost cause of Facebook/Russian troll farms/illegal spending and that if we get a do-over everybody will vote the right way this time because logic and facts. There's no need to think about what a second question would be because all that matters is that a second question is asked.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Junior G-man posted:

Do you not want to leave the EU anymore?
Yes / No

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Just wanted to say, Sanford, because I was taken up wrong. When I said:

Failed Imagineer posted:

Lol that should be persuasive

I wasn't saying you took the wrong approach. Debate is loving piss.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What kind of loving nerd thinks it's "important" to debate things?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Spooky, I gave up today.

pro-tip (if you're serious) - use a lovely brand of e-cigs. I eventually got so fed up of Blu's batteries and cartomiser cartridges basically dying after barely any use that I was able to kick them about six months after I moved to them

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

OwlFancier posted:

Insulated middle class and petit-booj types who won't be affected by the outcomes

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's really weird seeing Government of National Unity because I keep thinking about rms

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I just can't imagine the person that thinks "I need to have a very dispassionate argument about this for.... reasons"

Like the kind of aberrant brain that thinks the specific debate format achieves something.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Rarity posted:

Don't let them dictate the terms of debate, keep arguing

I did!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

pretend I posted that sealion comic

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol the double blue ticks so that fucker has definitely read it

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

People who did too much of it in secondary school

*shamefully raises hand*

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Debating clearly doesn't achieve anything, it's performance, it's one of the lowest forms of performance at that, a loving play achieves more because a capable writer can portray otherwise hard-to-portray concepts and emotions through performance. Debate is possibly lower than reality TV on the scale of worthwhile things.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

lmao righteous

e: "debate" can achieve things. I've changed my mind a bunch of times from discussions ITT, for example. The problem is from the fetishisation of debate as an ideal in itself, making thing like pointing out when someone's a loving sociopath somehow less acceptable than actually being a loving sociopath. Emphasising rationality above all else is fundamentally irrational.

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Aug 19, 2019

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Borrovan posted:

the GNU (is that a non-recursive acronym? Government of national unity?)

actually it stands for "GNU's Not Unity"

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

:hmmyes:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Borrovan posted:

lmao righteous

e: "debate" can achieve things. I've changed my mind a bunch of times from discussions ITT, for example. The problem is from the fetishisation of debate as an ideal in itself, making thing like pointing out when someone's a loving sociopath somehow less acceptable than actually being a loving sociopath. Emphasising rationality above all else is fundamentally irrational.

I'd say that we definitely don't debate ITT, we argue/discuss stuff but we absolutely don't debate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

OwlFancier posted:

I'd say that we definitely don't debate ITT, we argue/discuss stuff but we absolutely don't debate.

Yeah and that's how minds get changed. There's a few opinions I've held that on reflection were very bad and wrong; people in this thread saying "hmm, these seem to be the opinions of a oval office, you might want to look at them again" is a good thing. I don't actually believe these centrist types believe in the importance of decorum - it's an easy out when you're losing the argument (which they normally are).