Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Klansman 8 0.91%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 578 65.76%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 185 21.05%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 4 0.46%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 0 0%
Julian Castro, the Twin 3 0.34%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 3 0.34%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 9 1.02%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 2 0.23%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 4 0.46%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 19 2.16%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 19 2.16%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 8 0.91%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.11%
Just like in real life, nobody voted for Hickenlooper 2 0.23%
Jeffrey Epstein, the MCC Most Hated 9 1.02%
KKKillary KKKlinton 16 1.82%
Some other idiot not in this list 9 1.02%
Total: 879 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Marxalot posted:

I'm not positive this is the thread for it but... what the gently caress?
https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1163437493938741250?s=20

Are we about to lose the general if we don't get Bernard through the primary holy poo poo

The headline's a bit misleading, as usual. They didn't poll on "Trump tweets bad", they polled "[Trump is] more focused on his Twitter account than on delivering on his promises". Similarly, they also ran polling about whether Trump voters felt he was delivering on his campaign promises, and found that a lot of people thought he was neglecting his campaign platform because he was "distracted by other unimportant priorities like petty disagreements and Twitter".

In other words, they want to base their 2020 message around the idea that Trump is ineffective as a president, too tied up in Twitter feuds and public slapfights to spend his time repealing Obamacare and build the wall. They want to stop criticizing Trump's ethics, Trump's corruption, and even Trump's policies and positions, and instead focus entirely on saying that he's not effectively delivering on those policies. They're not even really going to condemn the content of his tweets, just the fact that he's spending so much time on Twitter. It's the same old "Trump is spending all his time at golf courses instead of doing his presidential work" talking point with a couple words switched out.

Why do they think that's a good idea? Because it wins over more Trump voters than criticizing Trump does, and that's the only thing these think-tanks care about.

quote:

Those who have worked on the messaging say that going after Trump for being a racist and for being distracted by Twitter to the point of ineffectiveness is not an either-or. But, they argue, the former comes with the risk of turning off his supporters by suggesting that they are comfortable with his worst traits, while the latter emphasizes a characteristic of Trump that virtually no one finds flattering.

“I think only the hardest core Trump believers think he should spend more time on Twitter. But that is the reality of his presidency. For better or worse people think he spends most of his time on Twitter and the way he engages on it is mostly negative,” said Navin Nayak, executive director of the Center for American Progress Action Fund. “Juxtaposing that becomes a very powerful way of underscoring how he has not accomplished anything economically for the American people. Going after that is an effective way of attacking Trump without impugning the motives of anyone who voted for him.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

The headline's a bit misleading, as usual. They didn't poll on "Trump tweets bad", they polled "[Trump is] more focused on his Twitter account than on delivering on his promises". Similarly, they also ran polling about whether Trump voters felt he was delivering on his campaign promises, and found that a lot of people thought he was neglecting his campaign platform because he was "distracted by other unimportant priorities like petty disagreements and Twitter".

In other words, they want to base their 2020 message around the idea that Trump is ineffective as a president, too tied up in Twitter feuds and public slapfights to spend his time repealing Obamacare and build the wall. They want to stop criticizing Trump's ethics, Trump's corruption, and even Trump's policies and positions, and instead focus entirely on saying that he's not effectively delivering on those policies. They're not even really going to condemn the content of his tweets, just the fact that he's spending so much time on Twitter. It's the same old "Trump is spending all his time at golf courses instead of doing his presidential work" talking point with a couple words switched out.

Why do they think that's a good idea? Because it wins over more Trump voters than criticizing Trump does, and that's the only thing these think-tanks care about.

can't recall that approach faceplanting any time in recent history

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
DNC leadership will be happy to lose because they’re basically Republicans whose donors will benefit from GOP policy while the Dems do nothing and grift off of it. They fear Bernie and Justice Dems more than doing what’s right or competence or whatever. I’m sure Pelosi will write a sternly worded letter as she’s basking in the millions from generous SF donors.

It’s a rigged game. Because I refuse to believe they are genuinely that dumb. I’d rather think they’re malicious.

ross perot in hell
Jul 9, 2019

by VideoGames

Gatts posted:

DNC leadership will be happy to lose because they’re basically Republicans whose donors will benefit from GOP policy while the Dems do nothing and grift off of it. They fear Bernie and Justice Dems more than doing what’s right or competence or whatever. I’m sure Pelosi will write a sternly worded letter as she’s basking in the millions from generous SF donors.

It’s a rigged game. Because I refuse to believe they are genuinely that dumb. I’d rather think they’re malicious.

they are malicious AND dumb, op

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

Punk da Bundo posted:

If you still want to vote for the white supremacist republican deep down to her bones Warren, by all means . She is not the one true leftist candidate . She’s a republican to her core . She’s beyond horrible and complete trash .

going by your three page rap-sheet covered in racist garbage posts, shouldn't you love her

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Marxalot posted:

Are we about to lose the general if we don't get Bernard through the primary holy poo poo

Democrats 2020: Build the Wall

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Iamgoofball posted:

going by your three page rap-sheet covered in racist garbage posts, shouldn't you love her

No you loving weirdo

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Unoriginal Name posted:

Republican until her mid-40s.

What is this supposed to mean? That she's going to change her mind on everything she ran on if she's elected and become Ronald Reagan 2.0?

Marxalot posted:

I don't really see the problem with this. I do think it's an effective line of attack that he's sitting on his fat loving rear end watching Fox News all day and tweeting about it when he should be governing the country.

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

Punk da Bundo posted:

No you loving weirdo

a true leftist, indeed

on the off-chance you still legitimately think these things you've posted repeatedly over the years on these forums, and have taken multiple probes and bans for, you may be in the wrong thread

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

A return to normalcy, like the Bush years: barreling heedlessly toward total climate disaster, killing thousands of Americans in pointless wars for oil profits, and deregulating the economy until it blows up and kills everyone.

But the president didn't get in twitter fights with Rosie O'Donnell so it's good

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

VitalSigns posted:

A return to normalcy, like the Bush years: barreling heedlessly toward total climate disaster, killing thousands of Americans in pointless wars for oil profits, and deregulating the economy until it blows up and kills everyone.

But the president didn't get in twitter fights with Rosie O'Donnell so it's good

A BIG part of the reason Trump won is that idiots thought he was the character he played on the apprentice. The fact that he's sitting on his rear end all day tweeting along with fox is damaging to that myth of him to people who don't care about the racism. I do think it would be persuasive to a block of voters.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

mcmagic posted:

What is this supposed to mean? That she's going to change her mind on everything she ran on if she's elected and become Ronald Reagan 2.0?

I'm gonna go with a "historical lack of perspective"

Or maybe just use my preffered term of "loving moron"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

mcmagic posted:

I don't really see the problem with this. I do think it's an effective line of attack that he's sitting on his fat loving rear end watching Fox News all day and tweeting about it when he should be governing the country.

You don't see the problem with Democrats saying the problem with Trump is that he hasn't repealed ACA and he isn't building the wall and he's too distracted by Twitter to round up every last Mexican in the country and start a war with Iran, like a competent and effective neoliberal technocrat would easily do?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Iamgoofball posted:

You know, I think there's a word for this when pigs do it. After all, the friendly neighborhood narco agent is never the one slapping the cuffs on themselves after you try to buy your weed from them.

But of course, mods aren't pigs, they're a totally different ballpark of authority figures who enforce guidelines. No correlation, so clearly this is legit and above board.

Speaking of the police though, have any of the candidates commented on the nazis in Portland the other day and how the cops were, once again, totally in on it? I don't think anyone has yet, or I'm just blind.

lmao, gently caress i love this forum sometimes

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

You don't see the problem with Democrats saying the problem with Trump is that he hasn't repealed ACA and he isn't building the wall and he's too distracted by Twitter to round up every last Mexican in the country and start a war with Iran, like a competent and effective neoliberal technocrat would easily do?

I think it's one line of attack that might reach voters that others wouldn't. Not THE ONLY line of attack that D's should use against Trump. I think painting him as feckless and ineffective is very damaging to him. That cuts against every reason why idiots want to "run the government like a business."

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 19, 2019

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

ross perot in hell posted:

they are malicious AND dumb, op

Sigh yeah for some reason my brain has a hard time processing both can be true. It doesn’t have to be one or the other

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's not surprising at all that the DNC wants to run on "Trump's twitter is keeping us from building the wall" because they agree with 100% of his platform and policies, they just need a way to sell those policies to brainworms-infested snotty liberals and they think they've finally hit on the perfect sales pitch.

And they're probably right, you can get a lib to vote for some astonishingly regressive policy if you tell them they're smart boys for doing it. "Just wait for the expression on your racist uncle's face when President Harris build's Trump's precious wall where orangeman failed. Slay!" might be the best pitch Perez has come up with yet.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

let’s pay for all this polling instead of stating the plain and obvious fact the the president is a lazy loving moron in over his head.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

It's not surprising at all that the DNC wants to run on "Trump's twitter is keeping us from building the wall" because they agree with 100% of his platform and policies, they just need a way to sell those policies to brainworms-infested snotty liberals and they think they've finally hit on the perfect sales pitch.

And they're probably right, you can get a lib to vote for some astonishingly regressive policy if you tell them they're smart boys for doing it. "Just wait for the expression on your racist uncle's face when President Harris build's Trump's precious wall where orangeman failed. Slay!" might be the best pitch Perez has come up with yet.

IDK why you're tying him being a lazy moron who is only interested in Twitter to specific policies....

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

mcmagic posted:

I think it's one line of attack that might reach voters that others wouldn't. Not THE ONLY line of attack that D's should use against Trump. I think painting him as feckless and ineffective is very damaging to him. That cuts against every reason why idiots want to "run the government like a business."

Maybe the Democrats shouldn't be asserting that "running the government like a business" is good.

Anyway Hillary already tried this strategy in 2016 and she snatched defeat from the >99% chance jaws of victory, so we don't even have to debate about this. "A man you can bait with a tweet shouldn't have the nuclear button" was tried and empirically proven to be a complete failure of messaging.

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lmao, gently caress i love this forum sometimes

yep, it's a healthy forum culture held together by a strong and stable administration and moderator class, where every moderator is clearly marked and accountable to the community, other online communities have huge issues with corruption in their ranks and abuse of the community when it suits the whims of their administration, SA is a nice shining light of leftist thought in forums when all the other major social platforms have succumbed to internet nazis

anyways, speaking of police hiding themselves among the community and taking advantage of the fact that they're only under honor code with zero oversight outside of themselves to not break their own rules on entrapping and creating excuses for police over-reach, entrapment, abuse, and brutality to occur:

if someone could provide me with info on Bernie or other candidate's responses to the Portland Nazi rallies and how the pigs sent in plainclothes pigs to throw stuff at the cops while encouraging nearby people to do the same so that they could use it as an excuse to beat up Portland's innocent peaceful protesters, that would be great, because im having issues finding Bernie's but I know he talked about it and I want to send it to a few of the left discords im in, thanks comrades in advance

Iamgoofball fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 19, 2019

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

Maybe the Democrats shouldn't be asserting that "running the government like a business" is good.

Anyway Hillary already tried this strategy in 2016 and she snatched defeat from the >99% chance jaws of victory, so we don't even have to debate about this. "A man you can bait with a tweet shouldn't have the nuclear button" was tried and empirically proven to be a complete failure of messaging.

Why don't you think that "the president is a lazy, ineffective moron who can't deliver on anything he promises you" is an effective attack? You are bringing in a bunch of other arguments that I don't think are relevant.... They aren't arguing that running the government like a business is good....

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

I'm all for running on policies, but the fact is that left wing policies won't reach the voters that wanted Trump to all do that, or who are fine with him doing that as long as he also gets the fiscal policies they want pushed through. Convincing them to stay home is the only route, and the best route to that is convincing them that even voting for Trump won't get them what they want. It's not like it's a sole strategy. Not every ad has to be for you.

It's gonna upset the goldfish brains who reacted to every anti-Trump ad in 2018 with "Oh no, the DNC has committed to running on nothing but Trump Bad forever!" but they'll do that regardless of the facts.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The president is an idiot and can’t run the government for poo poo but warren is not the person to deliver that message , it’s Bernie

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mcmagic posted:

Why don't you think that "the president is a lazy, ineffective moron who can't deliver on anything he promises you" is an effective attack? You are bringing in a bunch of other arguments that I don't think are relevant.... They aren't arguing that running the government like a business is good....

trump got a smaller share of the vote than romney - you need literally zero of the people that were conned by a reality show to switch their votes to you in order to win.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Punk da Bundo posted:

The president is an idiot and can’t run the government for poo poo but warren is not the person to deliver that message , it’s Bernie

Any D candidate can really deliver that message effectively.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

mcmagic posted:

Any D candidate can really deliver that message effectively.

Joe Biden ?????? Come on now . He can barely speak

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

lmao okay first: cspam IKs only have power in the subform CSPAM, they have no power in the parent forum

second: please enlarge your skulls so that i may actually take advantage of living rent free in them

third: that person's posts were totally fine for the rules of d&d and would not have gotten them probated by ppj or anyone else

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Punk da Bundo posted:

Joe Biden ?????? Come on now . He can barely speak

I don't want this to be taken as an endorsement of Biden because I loving despise him and his candidacy but OF COURSE he can say that he was part of an administration that wasn't moronic or ineffective for 8 years and contrast that with Trump.

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

Punk da Bundo posted:

yeah but isn't he Jewish, that group of people you've repeatedly called "parasites", and supported the killing of, and got banned for hating, multiple times?

i mean idk bro you're just kinda sending mixed messages here, is this the thing your fellow alt-righters call "supporting the good ones"? i'm not hip and trendy with the epic alt right slang but you might be

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Is your period key stuck.

Yes if your attack is "well Trump is bad because he's bad at building the wall or running the government like a business" you're implying both of those things are good. That is in fact why CAP wants to run on that because they are conservatives who believe those things are good and want an effective technocrat in office to do it.

Try instantiating literally anyone else other than orange man. "Well the problem with Charles Manson is his plan failed to ignite the race war, so you should follow someone who knows what he is doing instead"

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

mcmagic posted:

I don't want this to be taken as an endorsement of Biden because I loving despise him and his candidacy but OF COURSE he can say that he was part of an administration that wasn't moronic or ineffective for 8 years and contrast that with Trump.

But ...the Obama administration was moronic and ineffectual ??? That’s the curtain we are trying to lift . What part of the Obama administration was good for the average American?

ross perot in hell
Jul 9, 2019

by VideoGames

VitalSigns posted:

SUBSCRIBE|LOG IN

FEATURE

‘I’m the Last Thing Standing Between You and the Apocalypse’

Inside the final weeks of Hillary Clinton’s cautious — and surprisingly risky — campaign.

Hillary ClintonCreditBenjamin Lowy for The New York Times

By Mark Leibovich

Oct. 11, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

Is your period key stuck.

Yes if your attack is "well Trump is bad because he's bad at building the wall or running the government like a business" you're implying both of those things are good. That is in fact why CAP wants to run on that because they are conservatives who believe those things are good and want an effective technocrat in office to do it.

You are still bringing in specific policy issues that are irrelevant in this framing. You can attack Trump for his unpopular policies, and I'm sure D's will, and also attack him for being a moron who watches fox news and tweets at it all day.

Punk da Bundo posted:

But ...the Obama administration was moronic and ineffectual ??? That’s the curtain we are trying to lift . What part of the Obama administration was good for the average American?

I might agree with this but no one is going to make this argument in either the primary or the general.

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lmao okay first: cspam IKs only have power in the subform CSPAM, they have no power in the parent forum

Mhm. You guys are locked to the subforum, that's true.

Much better than the police, who will have people who are undercover pigs bait people into committing crimes, for someone else with jurisdiction in that case to just happen to observe. So, once again, Something Awful's moderation setup with just one easy fix does what the cops can't ever pull off: be legit and not corrupt.

I support Bernie and his work to fix our hosed up justice system. poo poo sucks, yo. I trust in him to fix it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Killer robot posted:

I'm all for running on policies, but the fact is that left wing policies won't reach the voters that wanted Trump to all do that, or who are fine with him doing that as long as he also gets the fiscal policies they want pushed through. Convincing them to stay home is the only route, and the best route to that is convincing them that even voting for Trump won't get them what they want.

Yeah Hillary did that in 2016, she successfully achieved the lowest turn-out presidential election in modern US history and lost, turns out suppressing the vote helps Republicans.

"Trump is bad at twitter" aint going to bring back the millions of votes Democrats shed from 2008 to 2016, and that's what matters, not whether you can get a few more suburban racists to leave the top of the ticket blank while voting straight R downballot.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Iamgoofball posted:

Mhm. You guys are locked to the subforum, that's true.

Much better than the police, who will have people who are undercover pigs bait people into committing crimes, for someone else with jurisdiction in that case to just happen to observe. So, once again, Something Awful's moderation setup with just one easy fix does what the cops can't ever pull off: be legit and not corrupt.

i mean i would like to think i could pull strings and get ppj to ban anyone i wanted but there's months of chat logs between us that prove the opposite

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah Hillary did that in 2016, she successfully achieved the lowest turn-out presidential election in modern US history and lost, turns out suppressing the vote helps Republicans.

"Trump is bad at twitter" aint going to bring back the millions of votes Democrats shed from 2008 to 2016, and that's what matters, not whether you can get a few more suburban racists to leave the top of the ticket blank while voting straight R downballot.

It's not THE ONLY argument. It's one of a number of arguments that D's can use against Trump in 2020.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Raskolnikov38 posted:

second: please enlarge your skulls so that i may actually take advantage of living rent free in them

third: that person's posts were totally fine for the rules of d&d and would not have gotten them probated by ppj or anyone else

this would ring true if you didnt have a history of probating people for how they post in d&d by using their old posts in cspam

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

whoever that is should get probated for "maple grandpa cult".

mcmagic posted:

It's not THE ONLY argument. It's one of a number of arguments that D's can use against Trump in 2020.

you don't need to poll to realize "trump is a moron that melts down on twitter constantly because he's a whiny baby" is part of what you should hammer him on.