Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Klansman 8 0.91%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 578 65.76%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 185 21.05%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 4 0.46%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 0 0%
Julian Castro, the Twin 3 0.34%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 3 0.34%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 9 1.02%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 2 0.23%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 4 0.46%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 19 2.16%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 19 2.16%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 8 0.91%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.11%
Just like in real life, nobody voted for Hickenlooper 2 0.23%
Jeffrey Epstein, the MCC Most Hated 9 1.02%
KKKillary KKKlinton 16 1.82%
Some other idiot not in this list 9 1.02%
Total: 879 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i mean i would like to think i could pull strings and get ppj to ban anyone i wanted but there's months of chat logs between us that prove the opposite

Nonsense, you'd never have that sort of power. SA's moderation is top tier among all other online spaces, and I'm not kidding. It's pretty loving bad out there. As a young, hip, and trendy person who is as a result of demographics the perfect target for recruitment for alt-right chuds like the Proud Boys, the epic Gamers :tm:, and all the other assorted nazi subtypes online right now, it becomes really apparent just how much the rest of the internet is hosed

every other space is trying to funnel people into being nazis, but you guys actually prevent that and it's rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Iamgoofball posted:

Mhm. You guys are locked to the subforum, that's true.

Much better than the police, who will have people who are undercover pigs bait people into committing crimes, for someone else with jurisdiction in that case to just happen to observe. So, once again, Something Awful's moderation setup with just one easy fix does what the cops can't ever pull off: be legit and not corrupt.

I support Bernie and his work to fix our hosed up justice system. poo poo sucks, yo. I trust in him to fix it.

yeah this whole thread is a psyop to get you banned
you're getting high off your own farts, nobody gves that much of a poo poo about you

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Some good old-fashioned helldumping a-brewing

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

this would ring true if you didnt have a history of probating people for how they post in d&d by using their old posts in cspam

true but again i can only do that for posts inside cspam so if you dont have posts there i'm powerless! i'm also powerless if you can't annoy me enough to bother searching for a post in cspam and i promise the people capable of reaching that bar are currently serving month probes from the latest purge round

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
A lot of voters who know jack poo poo and don't care about policy just like a president who projects that he's in charge and knows what he's doing. Hammering him as a baby who is whining on twitter all day is a way to reach those voters.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

mcmagic posted:

You are still bringing in specific policy issues that are irrelevant in this framing. You can attack Trump for his unpopular policies, and I'm sure D's will, and also attack him for being a moron who watches fox news and tweets at it all day.

Ok I see the problem, you didn't read the CAP proposal that you're defending because they specifically said attacking Trump for his bad policies would be a mistake

quote:

Those who have worked on the messaging say that going after Trump for being a racist and for being distracted by Twitter to the point of ineffectiveness is not an either-or. But, they argue, the former comes with the risk of turning off his supporters by suggesting that they are comfortable with his worst traits, while the latter emphasizes a characteristic of Trump that virtually no one finds flattering.

"We can call Trump bad and ineffective, btdubs it's too risky to call him bad because that suggests to his voters that they are bad so don't do that part"

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Iamgoofball posted:

Nonsense, you'd never have that sort of power. SA's moderation is top tier among all other online spaces, and I'm not kidding. It's pretty loving bad out there. As a young, hip, and trendy person who is as a result of demographics the perfect target for recruitment for alt-right chuds like the Proud Boys, the epic Gamers :tm:, and all the other assorted nazi subtypes online right now, it becomes really apparent just how much the rest of the internet is hosed

every other space is trying to funnel people into being nazis, but you guys actually prevent that and it's rad

Good morning thread. You, specifically, and anyone else who feels like they want to continue this asinine strain of discussion, should stfu.

we clearly are mall cops, not even unfit to be true pigs

Also don’t drag offsite drama onto here and think I won’t kill you here and there.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

VitalSigns posted:

Ok I see the problem, you didn't read the CAP proposal that you're defending because they specifically said attacking Trump for his bad policies would be a mistake

"We can call Trump bad and ineffective, btdubs it's too risky to call him bad because that suggests to his voters that they are bad so don't do that part"

I think you can target different attacks at different groups of voters. I also do have the feeling that anyone who could be swayed to not vote for Trump because he's a racist, already isn't voting for him....

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

mcmagic posted:

Why don't you think that "the president is a lazy, ineffective moron who can't deliver on anything he promises you" is an effective attack? You are bringing in a bunch of other arguments that I don't think are relevant.... They aren't arguing that running the government like a business is good....

It's useless to suggest that building a coalition with voters who value different things (competence in the basic executive function instead of Bernie's exact policy platform) so that progressive goals can ultimately be achieved. The Bernie-fan mainstream is not interested in that kind of strategic thinking.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

Also don’t drag offsite drama onto here and think I won’t kill you here and there.

but its so funny how much chaos guyovich moving a single thread has caused

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Pinky Artichoke posted:

It's useless to suggest that building a coalition with voters who value different things (competence in the basic executive function instead of Bernie's exact policy platform) so that progressive goals can ultimately be achieved. The Bernie-fan mainstream is not interested in that kind of strategic thinking.

I'm a mainstream Bernie fan.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Main Paineframe posted:

The headline's a bit misleading, as usual. They didn't poll on "Trump tweets bad", they polled "[Trump is] more focused on his Twitter account than on delivering on his promises". Similarly, they also ran polling about whether Trump voters felt he was delivering on his campaign promises, and found that a lot of people thought he was neglecting his campaign platform because he was "distracted by other unimportant priorities like petty disagreements and Twitter".

In other words, they want to base their 2020 message around the idea that Trump is ineffective as a president, too tied up in Twitter feuds and public slapfights to spend his time repealing Obamacare and build the wall. They want to stop criticizing Trump's ethics, Trump's corruption, and even Trump's policies and positions, and instead focus entirely on saying that he's not effectively delivering on those policies. They're not even really going to condemn the content of his tweets, just the fact that he's spending so much time on Twitter. It's the same old "Trump is spending all his time at golf courses instead of doing his presidential work" talking point with a couple words switched out.

Why do they think that's a good idea? Because it wins over more Trump voters than criticizing Trump does, and that's the only thing these think-tanks care about.

The headline being a uhh... stereotypical headline is why I posted the quote about the CPAC trying to say we should attack trump on his ineffectiveness. I just feel like attacking the pseudofascist president on the grounds of him not being effective enough in his fascistic tendencies is maybe not the best or brightest move.

Iamgoofball posted:

yep, it's a healthy forum culture held together by a strong and stable administration and moderator class, where every moderator is clearly marked and accountable to the community, other online communities have huge issues with corruption in their ranks and abuse of the community when it suits the whims of their administration, SA is a nice shining light of leftist thought in forums when all the other major social platforms have succumbed to internet nazis

anyways, speaking of police hiding themselves among the community and taking advantage of the fact that they're only under honor code with zero oversight outside of themselves to not break their own rules on entrapping and creating excuses for police over-reach, entrapment, abuse, and brutality to occur:

if someone could provide me with info on Bernie or other candidate's responses to the Portland Nazi rallies and how the pigs sent in plainclothes pigs to throw stuff at the cops while encouraging nearby people to do the same so that they could use it as an excuse to beat up Portland's innocent peaceful protesters, that would be great, because im having issues finding Bernie's but I know he talked about it and I want to send it to a few of the left discords im in, thanks comrades in advance

I assure you, I am not a forums mod/IK. Otherwise you'd see people get FYAD chain probed for the occasional "White Man's Burden" wokelib posts that crop up from time to time.

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

for real though anyone got info on the DNC Candidate statements re: the nazis in portland, as thats a thing that directly impacts me and other portlanders, because the only thing I'm getting out of google is trump making GBS threads all over twitter like he usually does and i like to start my week off with non-trump news

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

mcmagic posted:

I think you can target different attacks at different groups of voters. I also do have the feeling that anyone who could be swayed to not vote for Trump because he's a racist, already isn't voting for him....

You need to get your keyboard fixed, your period key is repeating.

And no in the age of mass media you can't target different attacks at different groups of voters, anything you say to one group of voters that would help Republicans if another group of voters hears it, will be repeated nonstop to that other group.

So either
-The CAP is full of poo poo like they constantly are about everything, all the time
or
-They are correct that criticizing Trump's policies will backfire and therefore we must only message that orange man makes bad tweets

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 19, 2019

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

but its so funny how much chaos guyovich moving a single thread has caused

:mad:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pinky Artichoke posted:

If that coalition existed Hillary would be president right now.

ross perot in hell
Jul 9, 2019

by VideoGames

Lightning Knight posted:

Good morning thread. You, specifically, and anyone else who feels like they want to continue this asinine strain of discussion, should stfu.

we clearly are mall cops, not even unfit to be true pigs

The offsite drama was literally posted itt by a mod lol

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

i'm not a mod goddamnit, if i was i'd have a cool icon next to the name instead of the grenade

ross perot in hell
Jul 9, 2019

by VideoGames
That's exactly what an undercover mod would say, mod

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

You need to get your keyboard fixed, your period key is repeating.

And no in the age of mass media you can't target different attacks at different groups of voters, anything you say to one group of voters that would help Republicans if another group of voters hears it, will be repeated nonstop to that other group.

You really are being myopic.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

ross perot in hell posted:

That's exactly what an undercover mod would say, mod

*whispers into lapel* i'm blown i need an exit

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

mcmagic posted:

oh ok good argument

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

mcmagic posted:

I think it's one line of attack that might reach voters that others wouldn't. Not THE ONLY line of attack that D's should use against Trump. I think painting him as feckless and ineffective is very damaging to him.

The problem - and a hint at the underlying flaws in the foundation of this message - is that Trump being feckless and ineffective is a good thing. We want his policies to fail, because his policies are the opposite of what we want. In fact, a big part of the reason why his policies are failing is because Dems are largely refusing to cooperate.

Condemning Trump as a failure who was unable to pass most of his policies might drive down GOP turnout, sure. But having Dem candidates talking about Trump's failure to implement his campaign promises like it's a bad thing might not be so great for Dem turnout either. And it's unlikely to convince many Trump devotees to vote for a party that's spent the last couple years rebuilding their political identity around opposition to Trump's main platform.

mcmagic posted:

IDK why you're tying him being a lazy moron who is only interested in Twitter to specific policies....

Because the article that was posted, and the polling within, did. They didn't get their good numbers just by portraying him as a lazy Twitter addict - they did so by proposing that his Twitter addiction was so strong that it was preventing him from implementing his policies. The identity of

mcmagic posted:

Why don't you think that "the president is a lazy, ineffective moron who can't deliver on anything he promises you" is an effective attack? You are bringing in a bunch of other arguments that I don't think are relevant.... They aren't arguing that running the government like a business is good....

An effective attack, maybe, but effective at what? It might drive down Trump's approval rating even more, but "Trump can't keep his promises" is unlikely to flip right-leaning votes to the party that openly opposes those promises, and any attempt to reassure the right on that point will drive off every other group. The strong, polarizing nature of Trump's promises makes it difficult to successfully abstract away the specifics as unimportant.

And it's not like the right doesn't have responses ready for that. "No matter how bad Trump is, a Democrat would be worse" worked well enough in 2016.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

true but again i can only do that for posts inside cspam so if you dont have posts there i'm powerless! i'm also powerless if you can't annoy me enough to bother searching for a post in cspam and i promise the people capable of reaching that bar are currently serving month probes from the latest purge round

This is so funny, because recently you've been inviting people to join the debate in the CSPAM primary thread.

Clearly you're some sort of reverse vampire.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

*whispers into lapel* i'm blown i need an exit

Extraction assets inbound.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Why cant we all just be friends.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/1163443758823661568

Kamala Harris’ m4a status: loveshates m4a

I’ll update the thread tomorrow when she loves m4a again

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
That seemed like a very sincere apology from Warren at the Native American forum. I think she can win this thing.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Condiv posted:

https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/1163443758823661568

Kamala Harris’ m4a status: loveshates m4a

I’ll update the thread tomorrow when she loves m4a again

Harris is clearly trying to carve out her niche in the field, and that niche is lazy Biden supporters and neoconservatives.

She's not even my drat 3rd choice anymore.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I believe in crocodiles , but the crocodiles are eating the people

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

mcmagic posted:

Trump is indeed going to take the racist vote and the noseholder_GOP vote. Your strategy for beating him though should have more to do with the 100 million voters that are not going to the ballot box. Including the democratic voters that stayed home in 2016.

The apparent problem with this one is that most Democratic candidates cannot inspire or mobilize said voters.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

The problem - and a hint at the underlying flaws in the foundation of this message - is that Trump being feckless and ineffective is a good thing. We want his policies to fail, because his policies are the opposite of what we want. In fact, a big part of the reason why his policies are failing is because Dems are largely refusing to cooperate.

The article even includes an example: don't focus on the racism of Trump tweeting "send her back".

Instead point out that tweeting is much less effective at illegally deporting recalcitrant legislators than an unaccountable secret police with expanded powers and no due process or oversight with a free hand to operate concentration camps and effectively deport US citizens. This is the perfect opportunity to segue into how a savvy Democrat was able get bipartisan support for empowering ICE while Trump can't even get rid of Ilhan Omar

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 19, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i think people have trouble wrapping their heads around the fact trump got the votes a generic republican got. if you plug romney he gets that same numbers of voters (maybe even more since he got a larger share of the vote). trump being so obviously incompetent and stupid broke everyone's brains. hillary probably would've lost to romney in 2012 does that mean we would've had to appeal to republican voters going forward?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

Condemning Trump as a failure who was unable to pass most of his policies might drive down GOP turnout, sure. But having Dem candidates talking about Trump's failure to implement his campaign promises like it's a bad thing might not be so great for Dem turnout either. And it's unlikely to convince many Trump devotees to vote for a party that's spent the last couple years rebuilding their political identity around opposition to Trump's main platform.

Because the article that was posted, and the polling within, did. They didn't get their good numbers just by portraying him as a lazy Twitter addict - they did so by proposing that his Twitter addiction was so strong that it was preventing him from implementing his policies. The identity of

An effective attack, maybe, but effective at what? It might drive down Trump's approval rating even more, but "Trump can't keep his promises" is unlikely to flip right-leaning votes to the party that openly opposes those promises, and any attempt to reassure the right on that point will drive off every other group. The strong, polarizing nature of Trump's promises makes it difficult to successfully abstract away the specifics as unimportant.

And it's not like the right doesn't have responses ready for that. "No matter how bad Trump is, a Democrat would be worse" worked well enough in 2016.

I get that you can make the logical assumption from Trump is an ineffective moron to, we wish he was more effective so that he his policies would pass, but I REALLY don't think voters think like that. I think there are lots of voters who like competence and dislike incompetence.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

i think people have trouble wrapping their heads around the fact trump got the votes a generic republican got. if you plug romney he gets that same numbers of voters (maybe even more since he got a larger share of the vote). trump being so obviously incompetent and stupid broke everyone's brains. hillary probably would've lost to romney in 2012 does that mean we would've had to appeal to republican voters going forward?

idk, I think you may be underestimating the number of democrat voters that only vote that way because they were indoctrinated by pro-labor families, but are otherwise christian conservatives.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

mcmagic posted:

I get that you can make the logical assumption from Trump is an ineffective moron to, we wish he was more effective so that he his policies would pass, but I REALLY don't think voters think like that. I think there are lots of voters who like competence and dislike incompetence.

Yeah that's what the people behind "Hillary is the most qualified candidate ever" campaign thought too.

They didn't learn anything either.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Chilichimp posted:

idk, I think you may be underestimating the number of democrat voters that only vote that way because they were indoctrinated by pro-labor families, but are otherwise christian conservatives.

i'm afraid your point has gone over my head.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

mcmagic posted:

please stop being so myopic and maybe try being ouropic?????? have you considered that?????

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah that's what the people behind "Hillary is the most qualified candidate ever" campaign thought too.

They didn't learn anything either.

as one the only candidate to have managed actual slaves, i really don't know who else would be more qualified to run the carceral states of america

which is also one of kamala's strengths this time around

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Groovelord Neato posted:

i'm afraid your point has gone over my head.

maybe he's saying that trump was able to peel off some traditional dem voters cause hillary supported nafta and only halfway walked back support of the TPP after it ended up being an issue for her, while trump was railing against both in his campaign?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

but he still got a smaller share of the vote than romney. if he did peel away conservative democrats that means he pushed away some type of republican that just sat out the election. there's no reason to appeal to either group in order to win.