Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serf
May 5, 2011

3 posted:

They're not attacking you, they're just asking honest questions of how you infantile smoothbrains could possibly find any scrap of entertainment value in this catastrophically designed, shallow wreck of a video game :v:

its not particularly good trolling, but it gets results

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

DreadCthulhu posted:

Did you guys feel like the game has historically been very stable and eventually they fix most of the weird quirks you stumble upon? I've already run into 2-3 different quirks in the Nexus where I fell through the floor, invisible walls blocked me from moving through regular corridors, or my character was floating around like Jesus with no animations. The game is fun, but I'm thinking I might take a breather for a month until they've ironed out the more obvious wonkiness.

Huge stuff like falling through floors into space have been fixed before. Other issues might take much longer or never get fixed.

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009
There's a large disconnect from how this game plays than most games people are used to, and I think it throws most people for a loop. This game is more about a relaxing jaunt through a painterly universe full of weird poo poo that you set up a house near and go "Wow, that's neat." Considering how seamless it is most of the time, it's pretty incredible.

One problem is that there isn't enough uniquely bizarre things to see. If you're new to the game, it's not really a big deal and not noticeable. But, all the planets are generated around a central theme with very few exceptions.

Another is that all of these features only support the "chill" play-style. Again, not a big deal if you're just getting into it, but there's no upward curve of difficulty once you start to overcome the initial challenge of survival. Even most of the missions have some timed delays built in to keep you from blasting through them.

With the game design's trajectory going for some infinite universe with farming, mining, spaceships, crafting, capital ships, multiplayer, and more - it feels like they have/had a much larger scope planned. Though, now with them keeping the terrain generation the same with this major update they're probably done expanding on it much further.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ToastyPotato posted:

Huge stuff like falling through floors into space have been fixed before. Other issues might take much longer or never get fixed.

Yeah, everything that makes the game literally unplayable is usually cleaned up by smaller patches in the week following the major patch.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

There is a huge difference between discussing things you do not like or wish was changed/better/different in the game, and literally coming into a thread and asking how people's brains work that they can enjoy the game. Just imagine sitting next to a toddler just blowing spit bubbles and stacking blocks and then repeatedly asking the toddler "I don't get it, what do you see in this?". It's a poo poo discussion no matter how you slice it. If you're genuinely curious what folks like to do or enjoy when they play this game, there have been several lengthy posts already explaining that. One was even mine.

I'm afraid I can't help that the game is, to all observation, more or less exactly that shallow, and when you describe it as not being, I don't really know what else to suggest, you're seeing something that as far as I can tell isn't there.

But drugs do explain that so I'll just use that as the explanation.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bugs are actually coded by design in order to show the unstable simulation of the game

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

OwlFancier posted:

I'm afraid I can't help that the game is, to all observation, more or less exactly that shallow, and when you describe it as not being, I don't really know what else to suggest, you're seeing something that as far as I can tell isn't there.

But drugs do explain that so I'll just use that as the explanation.

lmao people have been nonstop responding in good faith to your incredibly dumbass loaded questions and your only response thus far has been "nah i don't think so, i guess it's because of drugs" you disingenuous clown, you utter buffoon

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

HexiDave posted:

With the game design's trajectory going for some infinite universe with farming, mining, spaceships, crafting, capital ships, multiplayer, and more - it feels like they have/had a much larger scope planned. Though, now with them keeping the terrain generation the same with this major update they're probably done expanding on it much further.

The interesting thing is that the game at launch was the closest it ever got to Sean Murray's original vision. He did not originally intend for any base building or any of that stuff and the only reason crafting was there to begin with was to give some degree of achievement when being able to explore worlds farther and farther away. I think it says a lot that he compromised, saw what most folks wanted from the game, and catered to that. But with the exception of some relatively minor stuff like actual orbit patterns, animal herd behavior, better proc gen, and something regarding multiplayer (Sean was never clear on wtf it would be so everyone made poo poo up in their head, and it ended up disappointing everyone) the 1.0 version of the game was the original vision. I love the direction they've taken it. It's a fantastic technology and I hope they keep poking at it for years to come. As much as I love Elite Dangerous, NMS has leapt right passed it in a shorter amount of time in regards to more/better features and a more rewarding gameplay loop.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Comparing X4 to NMS is bizarre to me. One is a hardcore economic sim in space and the other is a casual exploration game in space. You don't land on planets in X4, to pick one obvious example among many, which is at least half the experience of NMS.

It's like comparing Dungeon Keeper to Diablo because both are played top-down and feature demons.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

If we break everything down, isn't every video game just a series of game play loops that, in and of themselves, are often not very interesting or engaging? If you believe NMS has a gameplay loop that you don't find engaging, that's a completely fair statement. But acting like NMS is less of a game than anything else seems to be a gross misunderstanding of what constitutes a game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I agree that they're not really comparable as games because X4 is a game and NMS I'm not sure even is. I don't even want to call it a walking simulator despite that being basically what it is, because walking simulators are often quite carefully constructed things with a strong narrative and mood, more like little movies or stories really just using games as a medium.

That said, however, there are absolutely comparable elements to the two and I'll 100% stan X4 as being better in all of them. Despite its limitations it still has far more variety, functionality, and usability in its handling of spaceflight and ship behaviour.

chaosapiant posted:

If we break everything down, isn't every video game just a series of game play loops that, in and of themselves, are often not very interesting or engaging? If you believe NMS has a gameplay loop that you don't find engaging, that's a completely fair statement. But acting like NMS is less of a game than anything else seems to be a gross misunderstanding of what constitutes a game.

I am fundamentally arguing that NMS doesn't have a gameplay loop, it has a gameplay disconnected hose where you shovel stuff into it and the other end flails around uncontrollably and doesn't feed back into anything, because it is fundamentally a flat game with, aside from tutorial gating, no actual progression of content or mechanics.

That's kinda the core of what I keep getting at, that they've added all this extra poo poo but never come close to adding anything resembling a gameplay loop, just more extremely flat stuff.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 19, 2019

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Well, I haven't smoked weed in about 20 years now and I still like this game a lot. It's suspension of disbelief and it's a drat shame some people have lost that sense of wonderment.
Of course we all see THE PROGRAM behind it when you think too hard about it but that doesn't matter. You should have the ability to look past that. You could say the same about every movie and book.

So the game is not for everyone, no big deal! Play something else then? I don't understand the problem here.

Anyway, I seem to have found a 'Paradise' planet without any superheated firestorm blizzards or sentinels, that's a victory by itself.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

John F Bennett posted:

Well, I haven't smoked weed in about 20 years now and I still like this game a lot. It's suspension of disbelief and it's a drat shame some people have lost that sense of wonderment.
Of course we all see THE PROGRAM behind it when you think too hard about it but that doesn't matter. You should have the ability to look past that. You could say the same about every movie and book.

So the game is not for everyone, no big deal! Play something else then? I don't understand the problem here.

Anyway, I seem to have found a 'Paradise' planet without any superheated firestorm blizzards or sentinels, that's a victory by itself.

Please Post Pics.

Also same regarding weed. I don't smoke. Totes not against it, it's just not my thing, and I still adore the game, especially in VR.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i haven't had the opportunity to do any drugs in years, but nms is a pretty chill game to cruise around and see cool poo poo in. haven't had a chance to get back in yet but i'm looking forward to it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
This game has that relaxing, just chill out vibe to it that Minecraft has. You can just hop into your spaceship and fly around space and land on a planet and hang out and it's a fun chill time. However I'm starting to remember why I eventually kind of fell off the game a year ago. This game really REALLY needs to update its world and creature generation. Almost every creature on ever planet I've visited is mostly the same. I've seen so many of the living pineapple alien. I've seen so many of the weird lizard with horse hooves. I've seen so many of the bouncing fish head looking thing that has no legs or arms. Seeing all those creatures is cool when starting out but 70 hours in I've seen nothing new in a while. Same with planet generation. There's a handful of planet types and each type looks generally the same. Sometimes the grass is green, sometimes it's orange. Snow/Ice planets look IDENTICAL. There aren't big snowy tundras, they're all just big snow covered forests. The dead planets or moons feel like they have very little reason to land on them. There's a few really weird planets, like the glass planets, pillar planets, or light planets, but while they look cool, there's basically no real reason to land on them.

There's other problems with like NCPs and stuff but those aren't that big of a deal to me. The creature and planet generation needs a major overhaul. I mean I've played 70+ hours of it so it's not like I haven't enjoyed the game but if you're gonna have a procedurally generated game where you can visit a billion different planets in the galaxy, the planets and creatures need way more variation than they do now.

Also the Sentinals are just bad in general but :shrug:

edit: I remembered there's also a bubble planet. That's so cool! Imagine the creatures that could live there! But there's really nothing there but the bubbles

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 19, 2019

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Despite its limitations it still has far more variety, functionality, and usability in its handling of spaceflight and ship behaviour.

X4 has greater space fighting, truth.

NMS is better at looking good, though, 100%.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Take... take factorio. I like factorio, but it's probably also the game I most think of when I hear "gameplay loop" because it really aptly describes how the game flows. You build a small factory to produce a thing, but now you have the thing you produced, you need to build another factory to use it, but that factory also needs to connect to part of your previous factory, and so the game has this constant feeding back into itself whereby the thing you make to solve one puzzle feeds into the next, because its product unlocks the next puzzle and also the way you solved the first puzzle affects how you will solve the next. It's an extremely interconnected game and that gives it a tremendous amount of emergent depth. The gameplay literally loops back into itself, with previous gameplay determining the course of subsequent gameplay, and the end result is this increasingly complex thing that you have built and understand because you put all the parts of it together.

Most games have something like this, any game with any sort of resource management, progression of challenges building on previous experience, hell even a narrative follows this kind of structure to a degree. That, I would argue, is kinda what games are? It takes a great many forms but fundamentally I think they are about this iterative experience where you build on the things you did previously. Hell even purely creative games work like this, because creation is an iterative process.

No man's sky just doesn't have anything like that kind of structure to how it plays. I don't think it has a gameplay loop. You just shovel your time into it and in return you... can... look at stuff during that time, I guess.

It's got a gameplay loop in the sense that google earth has a gameplay loop. It combines almost total passivity in the gameplay with an almost complete lack of narrative or mechanical progression, which is genuinely unique among any game that I've played. It's like... the anti-game.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 19, 2019

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

chaosapiant posted:

There is a huge difference between discussing things you do not like or wish was changed/better/different in the game, and literally coming into a thread and asking how people's brains work that they can enjoy the game. Just imagine sitting next to a toddler just blowing spit bubbles and stacking blocks and then repeatedly asking the toddler "I don't get it, what do you see in this?". It's a poo poo discussion no matter how you slice it. If you're genuinely curious what folks like to do or enjoy when they play this game, there have been several lengthy posts already explaining that. One was even mine.

God knows I'm a staunch defender of the game, but this is a hilariously bad analogy considering how people who enjoy the game have been described as literal babies ITT.
Edit: although it's a perfect analogy if you don't enjoy the game, I guess

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Black Griffon posted:

God knows I'm a staunch defender of the game, but this is a hilariously bad analogy considering how people who enjoy the game have been described as literal babies ITT.
Edit: although it's a perfect analogy if you don't enjoy the game, I guess

That's literally why I wrote it they way I did, used that analogy, and followed up by saying it was a bad discussion. I don't think we're disagreeing on anything.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

chaosapiant posted:

That's literally why I wrote it they way I did, used that analogy, and followed up by saying it was a bad discussion. I don't think we're disagreeing on anything.

Nah, I don't think so either, but I'm very tired and my head hurts.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

If the museum was next door I might! Certainly I might ask someone what on earth they see in it.

If you're going to Germany in the future, try the one in our state capital, Hannover. It's quite good!

Edit:

Another thing, this time something that's incomprehensible to me and that's counting games of the same genre against each other even if they're completely different. Let's look at the ones I can think of right now for example:

Elite: For the ones who want to visit places that may actually really be there. (Space cat game falls into this category to, not Space Engine though since that isn't a game.)

NMS: For the ones who watched too much 70s SF and now can't get enough from pastel colored alien nightmares (Captain Blood is another game in this category, but please don't play that one or you'll end up like the poor bastards in Event Horizon)

The X-Series: This entire series is more about building your space capitalism empire one factory at a time, exploration really takes a backseat here (I'm trying to think of something comparable here but space games concentrating on building while still allowing flying around in your own ship are rare. Or I just don't know any. :shrug: )

They're all great games (well not X:Rebirth and maybe not the ones in parenthesizes) and I've played or am playing them all, since they're different enough you can't really say one is better then the other.

If I want to talk to strange alien races, put a laser beam through the mouth of a space beast while at the same time digging up the ground to play a space archaeologist, I play NMS.

If I want to travel the real galaxy, looking at things that are sometimes very spooky because they could be real, I play Elite.

If I want to build space factories, I play X4.

None of those games really replaces the others in my mind. I wouldn't ever fire up Elite and complain about not being able to build factories, for example.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No Man's Sky is LSD Dream Emulator for the 21st century. That's my thesis in one sentence.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I'd like to rephrase from "smoke weed and play NMS" to just that OwlFancier should smoke weed, with or without NMS. You seem really uptight and I think that's why you're having such a hard time with people enjoying a game that is yeah, really shallow and doesn't have a super strong gameplay loop. It's an exploration and wandering simulator and some people like to chill out by just exploring and seeing what the game serves up to them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's more that I like looking at games as a medium and this one is loving weird and I get more fun from picking it apart than I do from playing it (cos it's bad).

And specifically it's weird that despite not really being a game, people like playing it, whereas usually things that aren't games just get ignored and forgotten. That's an interesting puzzle.

Also lol you're not breaking my lifelong complete sobriety streak any time soon.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 19, 2019

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

That's really only true if you totally ignore that Minecraft is one of the most popular games to ever exist. NMS has pretty much the same loop as Minecraft.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Apparently, getting an Exotic ship to spawn (even on Wealthy systems) is hard for me. Am I missing some clever trick to this?

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, I'd like to rephrase from "smoke weed and play NMS" to just that OwlFancier should smoke weed, with or without NMS. You seem really uptight and I think that's why you're having such a hard time with people enjoying a game that is yeah, really shallow and doesn't have a super strong gameplay loop. It's an exploration and wandering simulator and some people like to chill out by just exploring and seeing what the game serves up to them.
+1

Speaking of which, I'm going to my VR going and chill out, explore, and claim the planets and system I'm in. Then I'll add more to my base.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've disagreed with that at some length though, minecraft is lego, it is, if nothing else, a very complete creative platform. I guess you could carve terrain noodles in NMS but its scope for building things is way weaker. If you want games for building stuff NMS is a really poor one and nowhere near on the level of minecraft.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I do wish I could get my HOTAS to work with NMS. I listened to The Expanse books while space trucking in Elite Dangerous, and there is something divinely chill about playing that game with a HOTAS Warthog and a good set of rudder pedals. The action of the throttle, the perfectly calibrated stick...

Anyway. Good stuff. Yeah.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

That's really only true if you totally ignore that Minecraft is one of the most popular games to ever exist. NMS has pretty much the same loop as Minecraft.

Minecraft is a bit better at what it tries to do I think (and again saying this as someone that does enjoy NMS) because the building of structures is so easy. It's easy to keep going in Minecraft even though you don't see anything new after a while because the act of making a base or house or structure is never a problem. I think it was a mistake to add the power mechanic to the NMS bases, which I feel are already kind of a hassle to build.

Shockeh posted:

Apparently, getting an Exotic ship to spawn (even on Wealthy systems) is hard for me. Am I missing some clever trick to this?

The way I used to do it, if I remember right, was simply to log out and log back in at a trading post and then wait for ships to land. Repeat when you've seen all the ships that come around. Eventually you're bound to run into one.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I don't understand the hostility, I am just trying to figure out how your infant brains enjoy this entertainment designed for dogs and other lower life forms

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

Shockeh posted:

There are known spawn sites for crashed S class ships that takes some tries, but that was before the update. Otherwise, you need to camp out at a trade station and hope one comes down without spending too much time.

I actually built my current base right next to a trade station and will probably keep an eye out for an S class, I'm looking for a fighter or another hauler.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

If there are space games that do the seamless transition from hurling through space to descending through cloud cover to landing on an alien world that looks like the cover of a pulp sci fi novel better than NMS, please recommend them because that's what got me hooked on the game.

Also I have a baby so a no-stakes game I can poke at for a few minutes at a time is just what I need sometimes. I'm sorry, I'll hand in my gamer card now.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Minecraft is a bit better at what it tries to do I think (and again saying this as someone that does enjoy NMS) because the building of structures is so easy. It's easy to keep going in Minecraft even though you don't see anything new after a while because the act of making a base or house or structure is never a problem. I think it was a mistake to add the power mechanic to the NMS bases, which I feel are already kind of a hassle to build.

The way I used to do it, if I remember right, was simply to log out and log back in at a trading post and then wait for ships to land. Repeat when you've seen all the ships that come around. Eventually you're bound to run into one.

That's fair, I'd totally agree Minecraft has better building then NMS though I personally enjoy NMS better because the lego building doesn't do a ton for me. I'm way more into the exploration of NMS then Minecraft and enjoy Elite's exploration even more. I just think it's disingenuous to look at NMS and wonder why anyone enjoys it when lots of successful games have similar shallow gameplay loops.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Me, I'm searching the galaxy for one thing: a temperate ocean planet to build a nice house on like the one I found pre-next. It's a simple goal but it keeps me moving. In the meantime, launching off a planet in vr and looking out the side of the cockpit to watch the planet and atmosphere fall away is very good.

One thing they need to add is a camera in vr that can replicate the functionality of photo mode in flat screen, taking screenshots is my favorite activity in nms.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

I just think it's disingenuous to look at NMS and wonder why anyone enjoys it when lots of successful games have similar shallow gameplay loops.

Oh I definitely agree, OwlFancier is being a wackaloon

edit: now PUBG there's a game that I don't understand how anyone enjoys it

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Actually, if NMS could add some real big ships it would beat out Elite for me. I just really enjoy being a space trucker and I wish so badly that you could actually fly your freighter around instead of warping it. I'm really hoping Elite will let you fly the fleet carrier when it gets added.

Edit: Oh, PUBG and most battle royale games do well because they have a ton of down time so they let you socialize with your squad. They're pretty much a virtual third place for the teens.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Macaluso posted:

now PUBG there's a game that I don't understand how anyone enjoys it

:same:

Though I just assumed it's because I don't enjoy competitive multiplayer in anything.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Jenny Agutter posted:

Me, I'm searching the galaxy for one thing: a temperate ocean planet to build a nice house on like the one I found pre-next. It's a simple goal but it keeps me moving.

This is a really big thing though. I've seen a lot of beautiful winter planets, but I still haven't found the one in my mind's eye, where I will build my retirement home. It's like searching for the perfect drop in an RPG. You're prepared to go through a lot of the same stuff, but the journey is still rewarding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Does anyone know what the deal is with the terrain "substrate?" The part you can't terrain manipulate. There was a buried tech module that was unreachable on one planet I found even though it was just inside a hill, is that what the terrain generation provides and then the diggable ground is layered on top? Why is it much shallower in some places than others?