Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

So I've 100%ed everything in Odyssey. I'm looking for some single player stuff that I can pause whenever I want for when after my daughter is born(any day now!) The season pass for Origins is on sale on XBOX, how is it? Loved the base game, does the DLC stay the course?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

10 Beers posted:

So I've 100%ed everything in Odyssey. I'm looking for some single player stuff that I can pause whenever I want for when after my daughter is born(any day now!) The season pass for Origins is on sale on XBOX, how is it? Loved the base game, does the DLC stay the course?

Very much so. The Hidden Ones is an extension of the base game. Curse of the Pharaohs gets weirder without feeling out of place - it delves into the afterlife a lot.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Curse of the Pharaohs does the same thing Tyranny of King Washington did, but worse.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Do I want to download this again for the Atlantis DLC? I'm watching a little bit of the cut scenes and so far it just seems like incoherent ancients nonsense. I haven't seen any of the gameplay though, does it add much of interest?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Do I want to download this again for the Atlantis DLC? I'm watching a little bit of the cut scenes and so far it just seems like incoherent ancients nonsense. I haven't seen any of the gameplay though, does it add much of interest?

It's fun. The framing device is total nonsense as usual but it's just an excuse to bring Kassandra out to mythological locales and chat with the Greek pantheon. It's the same exact gameplay you've seen before but you get some new evolutions for your abilities and legendary weapons/armor, along with some cool boss fights. I've enjoyed it.

CreedThoughts
Sep 24, 2007
Thanks, I've never owned a refrigerator

They have been gradually building towards an RPG system since AC 2. That one had gear based progression, then the recruits had actual levels and skill points. 3/4/Rogue brought in crafting and much more open worlds, Unity had literal gear levels, Syndicate had actual levels with a skill tree. It's not like they took a straight action game and turned it into an RPG overnight.

I think it helps to stave off the series fatigue, if they all played like the Ezio trilogy, people would whine even more than they do now.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

It's poo poo, don't bother. Just massacres the modern day stuff too, even worse than previous games.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

10 Beers posted:

I had a great deal of fun when my first daughter was a baby putting her on my lap with one of them C-shaped pillows between her and the desk. We'd do a dungeon in Skyrim and then she'd be asleep.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

10 Beers posted:

I didn't think much of The hidden ones, it's more of the same. I played it right after finishing the origins main game, so I wasn't really looking for more of the same. Curse of the pharaohs is ~some crazy poo poo~, I enjoyed it a lot more, but it may not be for everyone.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

It does seem like a lot of assassin's creed dlc assumes you just want more content to 'check off'. Like if you really enjoy the gameplay of odyssey, then yeah the dlc does provide more stuff for you to do.

But I totally see how it can quickly get tedious. Did we really need three entire new areas for the Atlantis dlc? It's crazy that it's almost the length of an entire game in one dlc pack.

So here's how I see it. If you enjoy the core gameplay loops, odyssey has tremendous amount of content for you to play.

However if you don't you'll likely check out early cause Odyssey isn't good about convincing you to stay outside of gameplay. Origins, at least people should be finishing as it's shorter and the story is more compelling.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
So I've just bought Odyssey, after playing all the Ezio games and no AC at all since.

What is this Story Creator mode and do I want to turn it on? Will it just end up flooding my single player experience with loads of low quality content that gets in the way of the main game? Or is the user created stuff generally pretty cool and worth having?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
So apparently 80gb isn't enough space to install this and the DLC. Can someone please check their install size on PC so I can be sure my ssd ain't busted?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

So apparently 80gb isn't enough space to install this and the DLC. Can someone please check their install size on PC so I can be sure my ssd ain't busted?
Mine is 80.5 GB with the DLC. All those 4K assets and audio files in eight billion languages add up, I guess.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Thanks. Onto the old HDD it goes I guess. I don't remember there being too many loading screens so it should be fine.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Wonder why there's a difference in size. On ps4, with all dlc, odyssey is like 110 gigabytes.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

On consoles, leaving files uncompressed can pay off in performance since the system doesn't have to unpack them as it goes. This concern is less relevant on PC, and might be what that's about.

Black King Conga
Mar 30, 2011
Don't know if this is the right thread but since it's the same series anyway, I'll go on ahead.

I've always sorta wanted to try out AC Unity but steered clear due to what I have read. I can get it for a very cheap price now but wanted to know if it's worth a playthrough. Should I still stay away from this game?

I'll be playing on a PS4 as well if that matters.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Back playing Origins again because I refuse to play Odyssey until I finish the second dlc.

I'm not especially unhappy about this, such a good game and I love Egypt.

I picked Odyssey up for the PC, so the visual jump when I do move from PS4 should be significant.

... AC Aztec when.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I still have to finish Odyssey's DLC - I stopped playing for a few months due to burnout, but getting back to it brings the burn right back. And also, Atlantis is way more taxing on my system (Ryzen 2600x and Nvidia 1080), while 1440p Ultra works decently in the main game, the more open area you get right at the beginning of the DLC was tanking my framerate hard.

So I got Origins and I have to say, it kind of feels better... gameplay and combat are less refined and I'm missing the huge number of cultists to hunt down and some QoL stuff, but it is gripping me and feels different enough that I don't have that sensation of "been there done that" I have in Odyssey even when tackling new content

Plus yeah, the Greek landscape is mostly the same all over and I'd be hard pressed to tell if I am in Beotia, Attika or Sparta just by looking at my surroundings... it's all hills and forests and samish-looking towns, while Egypt feels a lot more different.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Black King Conga posted:

Don't know if this is the right thread but since it's the same series anyway, I'll go on ahead.

I've always sorta wanted to try out AC Unity but steered clear due to what I have read. I can get it for a very cheap price now but wanted to know if it's worth a playthrough. Should I still stay away from this game?

My Experience is on PC.
I had short stints with rear end Creed I & 2 after my son bought them in a discount bundle and I really didn't like the controls so I never got very far. I scored Black Flag as a freebie from Ubisoft, made it to the first city and hated it as well. I claimed my free copy of Unity when Notre Dame was on fire but didn't really have too much intention of playing it, but then I found myself feeling uninspired with the games I was playing at the time and so I gave it a crack. Movement felt better, combat was ok but I really enjoyed romping about Paris and so I played it right through, and as a result bought both Syndicate then Origins. I did think the bossfight at the end was pretty poo poo but it was a fun experience over all. I understand that the game's performance was a serious problem at the time of release but the PC port had clearly been patched up pretty good with only a couple of glitches coming to mind. I never tried the multiplayer aspect, I tend to be too misanthropic to get involved with multiplayer after a long day at work.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

PC performance was good from release day on a gamer rig.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

TorakFade posted:

And also, Atlantis is way more taxing on my system (Ryzen 2600x and Nvidia 1080), while 1440p Ultra works decently in the main game, the more open area you get right at the beginning of the DLC was tanking my framerate hard.

Ooooh you might be experiencing what I did with my Nvidia 1080.
I have no idea why, but for some reason (especially noticeable in DLC 2, Torment of Hades) my 1080 with V-sync on kept underclocking itself while clearly struggling to maintain 60 FPS with 99% GPU core load. I had to go into the Nvidia options and tell it to stop that nonsense.

That solved pretty much my framerate issues in the DLCs. Again, might only be if you have v-sync on.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Lamquin posted:

I have no idea why, but for some reason (especially noticeable in DLC 2, Torment of Hades) my 1080 with V-sync on kept underclocking itself while clearly struggling to maintain 60 FPS with 99% GPU core load. I had to go into the Nvidia options and tell it to stop that nonsense.

:aaaaa: this worked, thank you so much! FPS jumped from 30-40 to a much more stable 55-60 which is what I used to get in the main part of the game.

Now I can finally finish this :D

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Lamquin posted:

That solved pretty much my framerate issues in the DLCs. Again, might only be if you have v-sync on.

oh poo poo, mine was set wrong too. why the gently caress would this even be an option? hmm no thanks I'd rather have a lower fps and save a tiny bit of power.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Back to Origins after doing everything in Odyssey. So far the hardest thing is remembering that I don't have invulnerability when I jump off stuff.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Black King Conga posted:

I have played every AssCreed game apart from the PSP one and beaten most of them and Unity is the only one that was so poo poo I stopped playing after an hour.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

CreedThoughts posted:

They have been gradually building towards an RPG system since AC 2. That one had gear based progression, then the recruits had actual levels and skill points. 3/4/Rogue brought in crafting and much more open worlds, Unity had literal gear levels, Syndicate had actual levels with a skill tree. It's not like they took a straight action game and turned it into an RPG overnight.

I think it helps to stave off the series fatigue, if they all played like the Ezio trilogy, people would whine even more than they do now.
Yeah, uh, what a shame it would have been if they had focused on the story, dialogue, characters and other issues instead of adding ranged combat, thousands of types of vendor trash and boring weapons

Man, if only they added more types of swords instead of characters with arcs that lasted for more than a game or game world more focused on quality than quantity

Black King Conga
Mar 30, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

I have played every AssCreed game apart from the PSP one and beaten most of them and Unity is the only one that was so poo poo I stopped playing after an hour.

Yikes. I'll go ahead and skip it then.

More time to finish Dragon Quest 11 for me!

CreedThoughts
Sep 24, 2007
Thanks, I've never owned a refrigerator

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Yeah, uh, what a shame it would have been if they had focused on the story, dialogue, characters and other issues instead of adding ranged combat, thousands of types of vendor trash and boring weapons

Man, if only they added more types of swords instead of characters with arcs that lasted for more than a game or game world more focused on quality than quantity

You must have played different versions than me. The story quality is basically the same, and most of the older ones are filled with boring and repetitive missions. Black Flag in particular is a chore to actually get through. Tail/Eavesdrop every other mission.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I gave up on Unity too and it was also the only AC I didn't finish but came back to it later and it was much better after some patches. Not good by any means and would be tough to play post-Origins but passable. Better than 3.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Welp I'm downloading Unity for the first time right now, and will soon give my fresh-eyed, non-jaded review. Lots of people talk about it being underrated and a solid entry into the series after patches cleaned it up, and I tend to believe them. We'll see!

I loved and finished AC1 + AC2/B/R. I didn't quite finish AC3 or BF because I got bored toward the end, but I didn't hate either of them. AC3 definitely had the dumbest, most lazily shoehorned-in historical characters, which was a little bit of a downer. I haven't played the newer games, although the combat in Odyssey looks like a silly superhero cartoon.

IMO all AssCreed games are full of repetitive grindy bullshit, it's just a matter of whether you enjoy spending time in the setting. And I love Paris and the French Revolution as a setting, so i'm looking forward to some tough, deliberate combat and amazing parkour in that world.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Aug 21, 2019

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

One thing I liked about Unity and Syndicate was the murder mysteries.

Though Syndicates got weird at the end.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
After I was done with Unity I was like woof that game was extremely samey and went on forever. I should probably take a break with something else before I start Odyssey.

So I started the Odins Spear remaster. I may never play Odyssey at this point.

A bright man, I am not.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
Is it possible to actually buy all these skills if I keep playing? Everything I can find online says no but that's with reference to getting only 50 levels or so, isn't the cap 99 or so?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You can get every active skill in the game if you want, but in reality youll probably only pick up the ones you need and dump the rest into passive mastery points once those unlock at level 50. The passive bonuses you cant max out, which is what people online probably mean by that.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

What pastries are good?

E: ehhh I wont change it

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

In Origins, do shield mods always work, or are they only active while blocking?

Stuff like absorb rate, melee resist, ranged resist absorb value

victrix fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 25, 2019

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Is it possible to climb the tower in tartaros? I can't find anywhere to get up there, but it's pretty shocking if they'd put something that tall in a game where climbing is a core mechanic and not make it climbable.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
While I altogether don't like AC3, I do appreciate how near the beginning in the short time you play as 10-ish-years old Connor you can still fight bears. Same animations and everything, it's just that he doesn't have the hidden blade yet so he open palm strikes the bear three times and the bear dies. Guess they didn't want to block off the bear areas. 10 year old Connor's more of a badass than time skip Connor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Curse of the Pharohs

:stare: