Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

shirts and skins posted:

Great news everybody! Capitalism is fixed now!

https://www.fastcompany.com/90391743/top-ceo-group-business-roundtable-drops-shareholder-primacy

Yep, they all agreed, no more pure profit maximization! Glad that's over with, and we can all go home. Nothing more to see here! All our problems are solved.
They did this because saying shareholder profit is your primary goal is bad PR, which reduces shareholder profit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

shirts and skins posted:

Great news everybody! Capitalism is fixed now!

https://www.fastcompany.com/90391743/top-ceo-group-business-roundtable-drops-shareholder-primacy

Yep, they all agreed, no more pure profit maximization! Glad that's over with, and we can all go home. Nothing more to see here! All our problems are solved.

Capitalism is good now! Please put the guillotines away!

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Sedisp posted:

The unwillingness to go to jail in hopes that the outcome will be similar to the Postal strike of 1970 as opposed to Reagan taking a scythe through the ATC union is SUCH a petty thing to be concerned about!

Oh yeah and ofc depending on your contract and what part of the federal government you work for not only can you just be fired but you might have accidentally committed a federal crime by striking.

Prior to that strike the federal government workforce regularly engaged in illegal strikes. It happened multiple times a year in offices small and large. The "you learned your lesson" narrative that was created after the ATC union strike was convenient and helpful to just one group of people.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/Tanya_Chen/status/1163576230366629891?s=20

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Communist Walrus posted:

The names are possibly the most dystopian thing I've seen in a long time, jesus gently caress

"Hugs and Love: *not pictured Big Haus Sausage"

That's got to be fake right... not pictured Big Haus Sausage?!!?? Ha get it because your loved one is currently being force fed some guy's dick in the big house. Who named this? The loving devil?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

El Mero Mero posted:

Prior to that strike the federal government workforce regularly engaged in illegal strikes. It happened multiple times a year in offices small and large. The "you learned your lesson" narrative that was created after the ATC union strike was convenient and helpful to just one group of people.

It has nothing to do with learning a lesson it has everything to do with creating and enforcing existing laws with more rigor to put fear into the membership to make organizing them much MUCH harder in an already union unfriendly environment.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

RobattoJesus posted:

"Hugs and Love: *not pictured Big Haus Sausage"

That's got to be fake right... not pictured Big Haus Sausage?!!?? Ha get it because your loved one is currently being force fed some guy's dick in the big house. Who named this? The loving devil?

white americans so, yes

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-48882195

quote:

Work is the main source of a meaningful existence for most people. A mother or dad might be occupied bringing up children for a couple of decades but that doesn't last forever.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

:fuckoff:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

God drat that's depressing

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Not a Children posted:

God drat that's depressing

Well, nobody wants to see themselves as irrelevant, or not useful.

I get the problem with seeing work as the only way to have value, but I think these folks are talking more about skills/professions.

Like, being a teacher is an awesome thing that has you connected to your community in a very real way. I can totally understand missing that.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

luckily for millenials we'll never be able to actually retire and i'll probably die at the desk of whatever office drone farm im working at in 50 years

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

The Nastier Nate posted:

luckily for millenials we'll never be able to actually retire and i'll probably die at the desk of whatever office drone farm im working at in 50 years

I mean this article is literally apologia for the UK government increasing the retirement age yet again so pretty much yeah

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I legit can't tell if the name "Austyn" is the writer being an rear end in a top hat or the writer trying to write something kids these days will find familiar and relatable

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I think this was the thread recently talking about unions.

Enfys has issued a correction as of 19:45 on Aug 29, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

I legit can't tell if the name "Austyn" is the writer being an rear end in a top hat or the writer trying to write something kids these days will find familiar and relatable

Its a documentary, thats the guy's name.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Enfys posted:

I think this was the thread recently talking about unions.

Ryanair (notorious Irish budget airline) pilots had planned to go on a strike Thursday and Friday over their atrocious pay and working conditions, but Ryanair petitioned the High Court to get an injunction (which has been granted) preventing the pilots from striking. The judge admitted that Ryanair made some really ridiculous claims in their affidavit, but said they had no impact on his decision.

Ryanair is notoriously anti-union and only recognised the pilot's union in 2017 after pilots across a number of countries staged a joint walk out (they still won't recognise cabin crew unions). They lost a court case after firing a pilot for handing out a union pamphlet. The employment conditions are notoriously awful and exploitative and they do all kinds of dodgy things to get around EU worker protections, which is why pilots and cabin crew have been trying to organise for years. When Danish unions were supported by the Danish government in striking over the horrible employment conditions, Ryanair just noped out of Denmark entirely.

Unfortunately, the Irish government isn't likely to do the same, probably because Michael O'Leary is one of the wealthiest businessmen in Ireland.

Pilots at many airlines are pretty good at following up with calling in "fatigued" or sick in these situations. Unlike at other jobs, people care if planes crash so thats something that the government actually care about.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

Its a documentary, thats the guy's name.

Oh :geno:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Welcome to white people names

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

Welcome to white people names

After decades of making fun of African American names, white ladies decided to appropriate and gentrify the process. Now they're "regular" names but just spelled in the dumbest ways.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

the zoomers are all going to transition just to have spellable names like Aiden or Emily and I'm here for it (that and the frog juice we put in tap water now)

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

I am watching The Corporation and there's this scene with two college dudes who advertise themselves as "living billboards" for corporations.

It's almost cute seen from the 2019 with people pretending to be paid influencers in it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

T-man posted:

the zoomers are all going to transition just to have spellable names like Aiden or Emily and I'm here for it (that and the frog juice we put in tap water now)

im so happy my sister and i have normal names lol. my stepsisters have the white people hosed up spelling thing and I don't think I could spell their names right first try for like 10 years

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

The Bloop posted:

After decades of making fun of African American names, white ladies decided to appropriate and gentrify the process. Now they're "regular" names but just spelled in the dumbest ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI-cOyxHQKA

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

This makes a lot of sense to me. I'd been a stay at home parent/primary caregiver for a bit over two years but there was a couple of week gap between when my kid started preschool and I started work where I suddenly had like 6 hours totally free time each day. The first few days I literally didn't know what to do with myself. It's not that I hadn't had free time prior to that but it had always been planned for, like organising a baby sitter because I wanted to do something specific, or knowing kid will be asleep around X time so I can do whatever, or knowing my partner would be home on a Saturday morning so I could get some time off, etc.

I also don't really find it depressing for people to take meaning from their work. I certainly get a sense of contribution from mine, and will probably volunteer my skills once I'm retired. You'll notice that article carefully lists jobs like educator or librarian that generate a pretty obvious public good. I think what's depressing is more that so many people have to work jobs where they don't, or jobs where they openly and actively support harmful processes.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Yeah, deriving meaning from work is all well and good for teachers or firefighters or skilled craftsmen or whaever.

But for the marketing consultant for Generic Promotional Agency? Or the Gig Economy App Slave? Not so much.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think the reason I tolerate this lovely pizza job so much is because i actually create a product and it feels good to do a good job

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Taintrunner posted:

someone somewhere on C-SPAM was talking about how loving exploitative the prison commissary system is, and I finally found an article https://www.themarshallproject.org/2017/12/21/the-big-business-of-prisoner-care-packages

$56 dollars:

What exactly is supposed to go on the tortillas? :confused:

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Larry Parrish posted:

i think the reason I tolerate this lovely pizza job so much is because i actually create a product and it feels good to do a good job

the best thing about my lovely restaurant job was making myself myself an elaborate lunch/dinner when the boss wandered off for an hour randomly

it did teach me some basic cooking skills though so it wasn't completely terrible

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Ebola Roulette posted:

Dry, crushed ramen.

Google "jailhouse burrito" and weep.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Ebola Roulette posted:

Look at this goon who pretends they haven't eaten a ramen and tuna burrito.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

There's like, a can of beans back there too I think? And that velveeta thing is basically nacho cheese sauce if you think about it.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwV58ko68_8

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Chomp8645 posted:

Yeah, deriving meaning from work is all well and good for teachers or firefighters or skilled craftsmen or whaever.

But for the marketing consultant for Generic Promotional Agency? Or the Gig Economy App Slave? Not so much.

This feels like yelling at people for self-actualizing the wrong way. Obviously, feeling good about being a loan shark is lovely and probably some whatever-helps-you-sleep-at-night poo poo, but where you draw that line is nebulous and it would feel weird to me to tell at an automotive engineer that is good at making cars, who feels fulfilled making cars, because cars pollute and destroy the Earth.

Likewise, just because someone's contract of employment is predatory doesn't imply that they shouldn't feel good or take pride in the work they do (see Uber drivers, teachers).

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

T-man posted:

Minority identities happens different to rich and poor. I am trans in a really, really different way than Caitlyn Jenner, because in all likelihood I'll never have surgery, hand made flattering clothing, and a team of makeup people. I get medicaid estrogen, thrift store skirts and drugstore makeup put on by myself. We're both transgender since we both ID as a different gender than the one we were assigned at birth, but the experience of having access to power and resources matters. I have no doubt that most people she talks to call her madam, since most of the people she will meet work for her and could/would get canned -- whereas most of the people I meet in a day are the customers (who think I work for them.) It's an entirely different world to interact with on the bougies.

She'll probably still get shat on as much as any of us poor trans women should that money and power go away, but the only way anyone has that much money is exploiting others for however long she hasn't actually done work. Rich people are rich first, at least as far as their wallets count, since anyone who isn't doesn't get rich. The same thing applies to anyone with power, or anyone who thinks they're gonna get that power any day now.

If you don't mind government cheese, thanks to Obama you can get your surgery now on Medicaid. You just need a PCP to deem it medically necessary and a therapist letter.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

DisgracelandUSA posted:

it would feel weird to me to tell at an automotive engineer that is good at making cars, who feels fulfilled making cars, because cars pollute and destroy the Earth.

It wouldn't feel weird to me and I've actually done that on these very forums!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

If I remember right they then left making cars to take a job making military vehicles so uh, good luck with that buddy.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Never saw the movie but I liked Norm MacDonald heckling it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL0WayC7jW0&t=7s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

DisgracelandUSA posted:

This feels like yelling at people for self-actualizing the wrong way. Obviously, feeling good about being a loan shark is lovely and probably some whatever-helps-you-sleep-at-night poo poo, but where you draw that line is nebulous and it would feel weird to me to tell at an automotive engineer that is good at making cars, who feels fulfilled making cars, because cars pollute and destroy the Earth.

Likewise, just because someone's contract of employment is predatory doesn't imply that they shouldn't feel good or take pride in the work they do (see Uber drivers, teachers).

The point is not that those people shouldn't take satisfaction or reward for their work, just that those people are less likely to feel that way because they deal with alienation as well as having no apparent or observable good arising from their work.

But also yeah self actualisation isn't automatically a good thing. Marx took care to point out that self actualisation also needs to meet others' needs. So like a Phillip Morris sales rep who fuckin loves their job because they're good at slinging cigarettes is still a scumbag and should be yelled at.