Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

MF_James posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with both these people.

Yeah, I mean, don't take care of the kids, that's fine, but when their father leaves them there, for fucks sake don't just slam the door in their face you antisocial weenie, let them in until CPS gets there...

dad clearly needed to buy drugs in a hurry

neighbor has no responsibility at all to care for the kids, and it's arguably better not to let the kids in. completely sucks for the traumatic experience the kids have to endure because of their horrible negligent father but at the same time you don't want to be having some kind of panic attack before the police show up trying to investigate why there are upset children in your home who you are not in any way related to. like for someone not having a nervous breakdown maybe just sit outside with the kids and keep an eye on them until the cops arrive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

You're really rolling them bones dumping your kids on a neurotic neighbour you don't know well, sometimes it comes up snake eyes.

So he's going to burn her house down right?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Marchofthepenguins posted:

AITA for refusing to help my daughter pay for her dental care?

She was literally scrimping and saving, to the extent that she was putting up with the pain to wait till she had more money. What the gently caress did this rear end in a top hat want her to do differently exactly??

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Leon Einstein posted:

It's weird to me that so many people use that envelope method to save. If your money isn't making money, you're losing money. My sister buys her vehicles outright to avoid car payments. Yeah, smart move to drop 26k on a car when you could've financed it at like 1% and earned way more than that investing it.

Yeah, dude leaving his kids with someone without their consent is terrible and shouldn't have custody.

Sometimes the method that results in you actually doing the saving is worth doing over the theoretical one that you have trouble keeping up with. Some people want to maximize their returns or whatever, and some people just want to not have a car payment. If she can pay cash for a car then she's doing fine without whatever returns you're scolding her over.

Personal finance scolds can eat my whole rear end.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 20, 2019

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Grape posted:

She was literally scrimping and saving, to the extent that she was putting up with the pain to wait till she had more money. What the gently caress did this rear end in a top hat want her to do differently exactly??

idk, agree with him that she doesn't deserve a dentist I guess

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

luxury handset posted:

neighbor has no responsibility at all to care for the kids, and it's arguably better not to let the kids in. completely sucks for the traumatic experience the kids have to endure because of their horrible negligent father but at the same time you don't want to be having some kind of panic attack before the police show up trying to investigate why there are upset children in your home who you are not in any way related to. like for someone not having a nervous breakdown maybe just sit outside with the kids and keep an eye on them until the cops arrive

At best she could got sit outside on the steps and call cps/police to come get them, but anyone who goes into a full on panic mode after calling the authorities isn't going to want to sit there and talk to them.

When the father showed up banging on the door and screaming at her most people would call the cops and she just tried to put her headphones on and hope he goes away.

This isn't someone who should be watching young kids.

On that note, I've seen everyone from tenured professors to diner servers bring their young kids in to their job and stick them out of the way because of a babysitting issue. Guy might've had a job where that wasn't an option, but if he's willing to leave them while someone keeps saying "no I can't what are you doing" then he's probably a lovely parent.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

TheScott2K posted:

Sometimes the method that results in you actually doing the saving is worth doing over the theoretical one that you have trouble keeping up with. Some people want to maximize their returns or whatever, and some people just want to not have a car payment. If she can pay cash for a car then she's doing fine without whatever returns you're scolding her over.

Personal finance scolds can eat my whole rear end.
Yeah, she's doing fine in the present while assuming her 3 children won't need any help for college and her retirement plan consists of assuming an inheritance. She also doesn't work more than 10 hours a month while grinding her husband into a fine paste. "Doing fine" is subjective and people should be scolded for foolish finances. My MIL is like you and says "as long as bills are paid, everything is good" while her new son in law just bought a new truck at 21. She also plans to retire in 5 years while having zero idea of how much she needs or has.

Leon Einstein fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 20, 2019

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Three Olives posted:

This seems like a pretty good deal for her that surely won't cause major relationship strife in the future!

Huh? There are some things in there that I wouldn't do myself ($500/mo car payment almost assuredly) but they seem like extremely normal people and a really, really good example of how combining finances often doesn't simplify anything. If they break up she has to move, besides her maybe not affording the car on her own I don't see any big ticking time bombs in there. He is super correct and mature about the mortgage, their philosophy seems to be "we trust each other, we have shared goals and work toward them."

Leon Einstein posted:

It's weird to me that so many people use that envelope method to save. If your money isn't making money, you're losing money. My sister buys her vehicles outright to avoid car payments. Yeah, smart move to drop 26k on a car when you could've financed it at like 1% and earned way more than that investing it.

Yeah, dude leaving his kids with someone without their consent is terrible and shouldn't have custody.

lmao, interest rates in the US are such poo poo that unless you're talking massive amounts of money it's pointless. you can't afford ANY risk with this money, so what are you going to get a 2.25% CD? 2.5 if you shop around and structure them into multiple CDs so you can withdraw the money?

oh no they might miss out on $1100 in interest over 5 years, which is largely offset by the loan origination fees and $600 in interest they're paying on the 1% and the peace of mind not having to service debt.

you cant take your car payment money and invest it in a high risk business venture or stock, and it needs to be drawn from monthly.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 20, 2019

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Yeah, you can invest it. The stock market isn't as volatile as you think over a 5 year span. I guess you need the fortitude for it. I didn't mean she should withdraw the payment each month, but 25k is a good chunk and it is unlikely to lose value over 5 years.

Leon Einstein fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 20, 2019

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Leon Einstein posted:

Yeah, she's doing fine in the present while assuming her 3 children won't need any help for college and her retirement plan consists of assuming an inheritance. She also doesn't work more than 10 hours a month while grinding her husband into a fine paste. "Doing fine" is subjective and people should be scolded for foolish finances. My MIL is like you and says "as long as bills are paid, everything is good" while her new son in law just bought a new truck at 21. She also plans to retire in 5 years while having zero idea of how much she needs or has.

finances aren't the problem here

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The assumption is that someone who can drop $26K on a car has monthly income that covers a car payment. That $26K has an opportunity cost greater than the interest that someone, presumably with good credit who can qualify for a loan directly through the car company, will pay on the loan itself.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

https://twitter.com/chicken__puppet/status/1163803724881416194?s=19

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

MF_James posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with both these people.

Yeah, I mean, don't take care of the kids, that's fine, but when their father leaves them there, for fucks sake don't just slam the door in their face you antisocial weenie, let them in until CPS gets there...

Accepting the kids has the potential to make her responsible if something goes wrong. If some stranger is trying to push unknown kids off on you, there's no upside to getting even a little bit involved.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Put all of your CUM in an rear end, every single penny of it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I stopped eating or drinking years ago, take that big basic needs industry.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Leon Einstein posted:

l guess you need the fortitude for it.

Lmfao

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Walking through the beautiful open-plan kitchen in my 3,900 square foot Jupiter, FL home and opening the pantry that is completely empty save for two 50-lb sacks labelled "rice" and "beans"

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 20, 2019

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Dear Prudence posted:

Q. Three’s a crowd: My husband and I have been together for about seven years. In that time we (thankfully!) have never had any big arguments or disagreements. We’re both pretty independent people who enjoy living their own lives while still being able to come home to a loving home. Neither of us has ever really had any issues with each other’s friends, and over time our friend groups have seemingly meshed into a shared conglomerate. The issue is, an old friend of my husband’s has reentered the picture and she is really throwing a wrench in things. The two reconnected while I was backpacking abroad alone, as my husband dislikes traveling. Since then, the two have seen each other practically every day and are in constant contact—even having phone conversations all hours of the night! While I was abroad, I booked a room in an area that made me nervous and asked my husband to be available for around an hour as I wanted to have him on the phone with me while I walked the mile to catch my bus. During that time, he was with this other woman and ignored all of my calls and texts. While there wasn’t much he could do from an ocean away, it was a comfort thing for me and he was totally unapologetic. Since coming home, it has been worse, with him blowing me off to spend time with her.

He is also constantly carrying on text conversations with her while we are sharing alone time or hanging out with mutual friends, distancing himself from what is happening outside of his screen. He has fallen asleep at her place a few times because the two of them smoke in her apartment and he passes out afterward and leaves me hanging without any word for hours where he is or if he is coming home. We have other friends’ places that he’s spent the night at before and it isn’t an issue, but with how this woman has been prioritized over me, this behavior has become more upsetting. My husband has even introduced her to a group of friends I haven’t met before because they come from one of his hobbies that he pursues on his own; for me, he previously used the excuse that the situations in which he hangs out with those friends are “guy time.” We rarely do things together anymore, as he opts to spend time with her and her friends, occasions when I am decidedly not invited. My husband and I frequently use each other’s phones interchangeably, as they are hooked up to all the electronics in our home, but when I grabbed his off the counter the other day to change a song that was casting, I found he put a passlock on it. This is just the tip of the iceberg with this woman, and I can go on about the ways the pair acts more like a couple and less like close friends but I’ll spare everyone the novel.

Prudie, I’m very hurt and I have tried to set boundaries with my husband in regard to this woman, but he shrugs me off as overreacting or being jealous. I don’t think I’m jealous of this woman but more resentful that I, his wife, am now a second thought rather than a priority. Because all of our friends are OUR friends, I feel like I have no one to talk to who will be objective or not look at my husband differently after I tell them about this. My husband says that they are just friends and connect really well and that nothing has ever happened nor will ever happen between them, but I can’t help but feel like I should stop this now before things get even worse. None of his other friendships with women have ever bothered me like this. And because neither of us has ever set boundaries before, I feel like I have made my bed and have to lie in it until one of the pair actually crosses a line into nonmonogamous territory. How do I make him see I feel less and less like a priority with each passing day? Or am I really just overreacting and need to get over this new woman in my husband’s life?

Prudie correctly calls out that the guy is definitely having an affair, but I wish we could pull on that "backpacking abroad alone" thread. Going on extended vacations without your partner is just a stone's throw from asking for an open relationship imo.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

sobbing into my venti caramel macchiato as my landlord raises rent 200%

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

cumshitter posted:

The assumption is that someone who can drop $26K on a car has monthly income that covers a car payment. That $26K has an opportunity cost greater than the interest that someone, presumably with good credit who can qualify for a loan directly through the car company, will pay on the loan itself.

but there is value to not having to service debt. there is value to being in a position to absorb a job loss, medical emergency, or simply a personal choice to decline in hours. if the ONLY thing that has value to you is decimal points going up in an account, we will never agree.

also the guy saying stocks never go down is a loving moron

The S&P 500 Index, shown in bright red, delivered its worst five-year return of -6.6% a year over the five years ending in February 2009. T

That was forever ago, surely it will never happen again! As we steam toward a recession, one that has a particularly large personal auto loan bubble.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
Yeah, let's cherry pick the absolute worst 5 year span possible to make your point. Give me a break. If you don't want to invest, that's your prerogative, but to say that it is a bad idea makes you look dumb af.

I absolutely didn't say stocks never go down either.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I say stocks never go down all the time. DOW 100,000 by Q3 baby. Purchase CUM's new ETF, BNGAY now.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Leon Einstein posted:

Yeah, let's cherry pick the absolute worst 5 year span possible to make your point. Give me a break. If you don't want to invest, that's your prerogative, but to say that it is a bad idea makes you look dumb af.

I absolutely didn't say stocks never go down either.

sorry, i'll just time the market like this loving genius instead. i also never said it's 100% a bad idea, but it has risk, which you seem to think it doesn't if you have giant swinging balls.

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
morpheus deadend

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
Who said anything about timing the market? You're making yourself look foolish.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Leon Einstein posted:

lol get a load of this guy

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
𝄞 everyone moves at their own speed𝄞

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Leon Einstein posted:

you did, because you personally would be smart enough to NOT invest before a 5 year market downturn, because you would somehow magically know that it's coming i guess?

do you think people who put their money into the S&P in mid 2008 instead of paying a car in cash thought they were making a risky choice? even if it's not a -6.6% return a 1% return, a -0.5% return, and a 0% return are all likely as well.

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
bow down to the sward biatch

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

My (24M) gf (21F) wants to have sex with me for the first time and I don’t know what to do

quote:

Sorry in advance for the horrifically long post, I’m just trying to be thorough so I don’t have to answer as many questions later.

We’re both virgins still because we used to be religious but not anymore. For me, my hesitation is now more psychological, I’m under the impression that sex creates a lot of bonding, and we’ve been together for 8 months, which I see as a relatively short period of time because I always wanted to save myself for that one person that I get to share it with for the rest of my life. For her, she’s said that if she’s in a committed relationship, she’d like to share that connection even if she’s not 100% sure we’d get married. (For what it’s worth we’re both see each other as prime marriage material and that’s our long-term plan) I always wanted my future wife and I to be the only ones we shared that experience with. She told me yesterday if she had lost her virginity to her last ex of three years, she wouldn’t regret it, and I guess I don’t know how I feel about that.

Don’t get me wrong, everything in the relationship has gone great, we haven’t fought once and have worked through some real challenges due to the fact that she’s away a lot for work. It just gets a little complicated because she’s said that fingering doesn’t really do it for her like she used to, and she wants the emotional connection that comes along with sex. I want that too, of course, but what if things don’t work out between us? It’s tricky because neither of us really know how it would affect our relationship because we’ve never ventured into those waters, with anybody. I was raised really religious my whole childhood (her less so) so I’m not sure the extent to which all that Christian sex guilting stuff is distorting my thinking. Also, she started being sexually active a lot earlier than I did, at around 15, whereas I didn’t until I was 21, so I don’t know how much of a factor that is either.

Am I being too cautious? How much does sex really bond a couple? Is it silly for me to think that only having sex with one person my entire life is really the way to go? What if it’s not as good as she expected? If y’all have any personal experience or any advice at all you can share with me, if would be much appreciated.

TL;DR: My gf and I are both virgins, she wants to have sex and I’m not sure, any kind of advice would be great

What an unfortunate choice of wording in the title.

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
scoots the kleenex box towards you

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Collapsing Farts posted:

How do people go through life with genitals that smell across rooms and not see a vagina doctor about it

I mean i did and when they found out I had a penis they threw me out and pressed charges

I mean that happened to my friend

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

HellOnEarth posted:

AITA calling cps on my neighbor

They say it takes a village to imprison neglectful rageaholics

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I [27M] have HSV-1. My girlfriend [27F] won’t kiss me. Is she being too cautious about it?

quote:

I’m not sure if it’s oral or genital, I haven’t seen an outbreak. I take the suppressive medication daily and we always use condoms. We’ve been dating for a year now, and this week she’s suddenly become much more scared of getting it.

Now she won’t kiss me on the lips, and won’t have sex unless I’m also wearing my underwear so there’s no skin exposed there. I’m not fighting with her about it because I understand there is an unavoidable level of risk involved due to asymptomatic shedding, but it’s been a few days and it’s frustrating not being able to kiss my own girlfriend on the lips.

I know this change in her behavior is not because she’s planning to break up with me soon or anything like that, we just signed a long-term lease together and things are going well, she’s just a germaphobe. She said she needs more time together, probably one year, before we can truly say we are meant for each other and accept that she’ll contract it by staying with me.

She knows about the prevalence of HSV-1 and nearly non-existent medical risks, but is still extremely risk averse. It’s hard to argue with her because I can’t say I wouldn’t feel similarly, but it just feels extreme to not be able to kiss my own girlfriend.

Is she being unreasonably cautious about this, or am I just frustrated?

TL,DR: I have HSV-1, take suppressive medication. Gf won’t kiss me for at least a year. Is that reasonable?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

charity rereg posted:

do you think people who put their money into the S&P in mid 2008 instead of paying a car in cash thought they were making a risky choice? even if it's not a -6.6% return a 1% return, a -0.5% return, and a 0% return are all likely as well.
What was the return on the s&p from mid 2008 to mid 2013?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

luxury handset posted:

neighbor has no responsibility at all to care for the kids, and

Um excuse me she is a woman of childbearing age and thus automatically can be recruited into child care at any time

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I (30F) need help understanding my boyfriend (30M) sexually

quote:

Before I start this post, I need to make it very clear, that I did some things wrong here, and I own up to that, and have learned from at least that part of this occurrence.

My boyfriend and I have been together officially for about a year. I suffer from very bad OCD, anxiety, intrusive thoughts, retroactive jealousy, etc. I hated that there were still photos or posts lurking around online regarding his ex (from 3 years ago). He advised me he would delete them, or I could if I wanted to. So, one day I took initiative and, while he was there, got on his phone and deleted them. It felt great. I decided to go further and this is where I crossed the line, but it only caused problems.

I went to his facebook messages (which I know is an invasion of privacy, although he told me I could delete those too.) However, I decided to read. Now granted these were 3 years ago. It was a thread between he and his ex. I saw some conversation I didn't like, and even worse, some photos. Here's where it gets me.

My boyfriend is a very simple guy sexually. "Vanilla" you could say. Or at least that's how he's always came across with me. The photos and talk I saw in that message thread didn't even SOUND like my boyfriend. A totally different person. I was instantly sick. I decided to talk to him about it. I'm into that stuff- so could he be with me??? His answer was mostly "that's not me, i'm not like that."....... only, i saw otherwise?

He agreed to work on meeting my needs but anytime i bring anything up, hes very nervous, shy, won't speak about it. Always says "that's not me". But it honestly HURTS. WHY can he be open like that with her, but not with me. He claims it was "her" and "stuff she already had".... but still...I should also add that, he wont do anything for me.... "orally".... but admitted he did to it for her, but says, again, "its not like that, i have the wrong idea."

I need help understanding this, because I'm not getting any answers from him. Is it likely this could be true, it's not him? This might be odd to mention but my boyfriend used to "use".... so maybe he had a different mindset during that??? It's crushing my relationship because i can't stop bringing it up and i KNOW i need to...... help :(

TL;DR- My boyfriend is vanilla with me but didn't appear to be with his ex. Help me understand?

This guy is probably not telling the truth because she's a lunatic who's going to have a panic attack if literally anything is slightly out of place in this relationship.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

The Bramble posted:

My (24M) gf (21F) wants to have sex with me for the first time and I don’t know what to do

What an unfortunate choice of wording in the title.

Save it for someone that really matters, someone that is unfuckable by society at large.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Leon Einstein posted:

What was the return on the s&p from mid 2008 to mid 2013?

Could you please shut the gently caress up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I get over 1% on my savings account, and make car payments to that. Seems like best of both worlds to me.